Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2014 10:50:09 AM EDT
When shooting your handgun with a finger grooves, do you wrap all your fingers or do you use the trigger guard grooves?

I've been told that using the grip can cause you to pull shots. Some instructors also don't teach it for fear that a beginner's support finger will slip and cause a ND.
It feels kind of natural to use the grooves on my 19, though. I have pretty big hands so there isn't much real estate on the grip.

Not my pic and horrible grip but for example:
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#1]
My SIG P226 makes me feel all 1980s and such.  And it should, I think it was made in 1988, marked W. Germany on the slide.

I don't use the trigger guard.  Tried it, and didn't like it.

I think it best to not use it.  Not all pistols have such trigger guards, and some day you may find yourself using one that doesn't.

So, I think it is best to ignore that feature.

I still listen to some 1980s music, though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I still wonder why so many manufacturers still insist on using this relic design on pistols sold now.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I know it's out of fashion to use it, but somewhere in the past that's the way I learned and it's the most comfortable way for me to hold a pistol, even if there are no grooves on the trigger guard. So yes, I do.

ETA: Because of its low price, I've thought about getting out the file and putting some grooves on my new SD9VE.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#4]
no I don't use it, I was always told it would affect the impact.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#5]
No
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#6]
grips are like batting stances......find what works for you and go with it.

ETA- never could like it, even when it was in vogue.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#7]
No.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#8]
No, I roll my support hand so that my thumb is as far forward on the frame as it can go, helps me get a tight grip on the grip area of the frame with my other 4 support hand digits.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to, but dont anymore.

I find it moves my support hand forward on the gun, and so I cant butt the base of my thumbs together which is part of the grip I currently prefer.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#11]
nope.

but the people i have seen use it kept their shots on target and had good recoil control. *shrug*  

different strokes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Not since the 90's
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#13]
No. I used to, but a match shooter explained all fingers on the grip gives better recoil control and allows faster follow-up shots. It took me a while to get used to, but he was correct. I guess 1980's methods are retro for a reason.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#14]
No.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I've tried it; doesn't work for me.

Before anyone knocks it, Jerry Miculek uses it on polymer pistols. Pretty sure he knows what he's doing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#16]
No I've never held a gun like that.  I shoot with a high grip.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I started shooting 1911s in USPSA type competitions around 1982 and there was not a lot of qualified instructors... I noticed that my wrists would lock better with my strong elbow rolled upward, and my weak hand forward, index finger hooked on the front of the trigger guard (before there were squared off guards standard) so the wrists were off set... high weak thumb on top of the strong thumb on the safety....when I transitioned to the thumb forward grip the hooked finger remained...

not only did Jerry's daughter kick my ass at the Area 6 Multigun, so did his wife...
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I use it, sort of large hands, with kinda long fingers, it's comfortable.
I don't think I exert much pressure with it. I do think where it gets the rest of my hand helps with recoil management.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Never, ever.

Don't do it; it offers nothing beneficial.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Nope.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#21]
WOW---No knowledgeable gunman would use it today.  After all it's a 1980s thing!   It is totally out of "fashion", and how can you be considered a "real" shooter if you don't go with what's "in".  (I am saying all this with sarcasm).

Go with it if it works for you. I still have "trigger shoes" on some of my  45 autos  (those are "out of fashion" as well). BUT- someday some gun writer will praise the finger rest on the semi handgun trigger guard (and maybe trigger shoes too) and suddenly they will be the thing everyone has to have and folks will wonder how anyone could shoot a handgun without them.  

IMHO: If it works for you, fantastic. It's all about hitting the target using a consistent hold. Just because it was a "feature" of time past does not automatically make it a terrible thing.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
WOW---No knowledgeable gunman would use it today.  After all it's a 1980s thing!   It is totally out of "fashion", and how can you be considered a "real" shooter if you don't go with what's "in".  (I am saying all this with sarcasm).

Go with it if it works for you. I still have "trigger shoes" on some of my  45 autos  (those are "out of fashion" as well). BUT- someday some gun writer will praise the finger rest on the semi handgun trigger guard (and maybe trigger shoes too) and suddenly they will be the thing everyone has to have and folks will wonder how anyone could shoot a handgun without them.  

IMHO: If it works for you, fantastic. It's all about hitting the target using a consistent hold. Just because it was a "feature" of time past does not automatically make it a terrible thing.  

View Quote

I wholeheartedly agree. Do what works best for you. If you can hit and stay on target, Why not?Personally it does not work for me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#23]
No because I use lights, and I dont like it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Screen Name + Post Count (666), avoid this advice
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I tried it, but my hands are pretty big and my left index finger stuck out on the right side and would "trip up" my right index finger when moving from index to the trigger. I have the same issue with mounted light controls.  Just throws me off.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#26]
never have
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:28:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
grips are like batting stances......find what works for you and go with it.

ETA- never could like it, even when it was in vogue.
View Quote

Very true. I remember that one self taught shooter who competed on Top Shot a few seasons back and made it pretty far. Teacup held every handgun he shot, and still outshot a lot of the competition.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:41:38 AM EDT
[#28]
To the people that do:

How do you use a weapon light?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:50:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I started trying it out after Jerry Miculek mentioned it in one of his videos..

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I noticed it was my post number 666 as well- I should have saved it for Halloween night.     screen name "Snake-in-the-grass"???---well that's just my way of saying I'm no threat to you unless you get too close or try to step on me  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#31]
I use it on my pistols that have it; Ruger 10/22, G26, G42.
On the Glocks, I wrap my index finger all the way around the front of the trigger guard and pinch the opposite side of the dust cover with my thumb.  I think it helps me from pulling shots to the left with small handguns....or maybe not.  It turns out that I shoot about the same one handed...
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I find I do most on small semi auto pistols I shoot. Not sure but I think the small grip real estate makes me want to get more area to grip or what. I used to shoot all pistols this way , but have worked on getting away from the trigger guard hold.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:39:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I tried it yrs ago but my hands were not big enough.  Have a few smaller carry guns now and should revisit the hold on those.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Nope.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Never done it.  Never found it comfortable at all and my hands are really to small to pull it off successfully.  Plus I came from the revolver world.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#36]
The Shield has such a snappy firing pin spring that it knocks the front sight over when pulled.  Seriously.  So for that gun, with slow fire and trying to put them all in the same hole,  I find it's the only thing that keeps the front sight dead on.  

I learned to shoot that way in the 80s, but went with the flow when better methods came along.  I can do either with equal aplomb and could give turd what people do or chose.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Hell no.  Want to wobble your sight picture?  Do this.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I have used this method for over 30 years(I'm 59) and it's worked well for me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:56:58 AM EDT
[#39]
I tried it for a few rounds when I first started shooting pistols. Even with the shape and serrations on my .40  Baby Eagle's trigger guard my finger slipped off with every single shot. The only thing it did for me was force me to revisit my grip and move my hands with every shot.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:25:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Depends on the pistol. I do not hook on revolvers, but have a couple of pistol that I do. It helps me control oscilation on small frame pistols.

Long and short: Try it...Really try it, not just 4 or 5 rounds. Run a few mags and study how your control is. If it works, use it... If it don't, don't.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#41]
I have tried it and did not like it. I had my wife try it and she also did not like it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Not since the 90's
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Nope
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:48:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've tried it; doesn't work for me.

Before anyone knocks it, Jerry Miculek uses it on polymer pistols. Pretty sure he knows what he's doing.
View Quote

I came here to  point this out, I've seen him use this grip
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#45]
I used to back in the early 90's. When I took my CC class many years ago, my instructor questioned my technique and had me try a more contemporary hold which improved my speed and accuracy almost immediately.

Now the finger on the trigger guard style feels completely foreign to me and I can't believe I ever used to shoot like that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Seen some old IPSC shooters use this method rather well, most of the newer guys do not use it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Used to have a CZ P-07 Duty which if you've ever seen one has a squared off trigger housing with the front corner ramping forward. Was told it was designed this way to allow you to brace against something horizontal like a window sill. I always wondered if that was one of the reasons for these 'combat' trigger guards as I've never seen anyone use them in their grip. I had several pistols with this type trigger guard and tried to accommodate it into my grip but never felt comfortable or improved my shots.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Nope. I kind of tried it once but it didn't feel natural to me so I stopped.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#49]
I learned to shoot "seriously" in the 80's.  But recently the cool kids were laughing a me and my Weaver stance with my left finger on the trigger guard.  So this last year I've been try more Isosceles with no finger on the guard.  I'm not sure what I'd revert to right now under stress but at least the cool kids don't laugh at me anymore.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I learned to shoot "seriously" in the 80's.  But recently the cool kids were laughing a me and my Weaver stance with my left finger on the trigger guard.  So this last year I've been try more Isosceles with no finger on the guard.  I'm not sure what I'd revert to right now under stress but at least the cool kids don't laugh at me anymore.
View Quote

Rounds down range and dry fire until your fingers bleed.  That's what Mas told me in LFII, II, III, and his instructors class.  I'm going to switch from an HK P2K to a S&W MP45c so I'm doing the same.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top