Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:   I would hesitate to call a 10mm a "very poor choice" for deer hunting.

View Quote

By comparison with rifle calibers I wouldn't hesitate at all.

The success stories of those who use such rounds for deer don't make the statement false.

As I said, by comparison, they are poor choices.

Within the range limitations they work for sure as your shot here demonstrates and if you keep the shots within the parameters I specified in my previous posts they will work every time, but for general use and especially by those with sort of moderate skills, a rifle is a FAR better choice.

ETA:  By way of curiousity, did you recover the bullet?

Pistol rounds often penetrate deeply on lengthwise shots {which allow penetration of structures the whole way}  but on side shots that same bullet may provide poor performance. As I said before, when you trace a bunch of wound channels this is demonstrated clearly.

I shot a bear with a .44 and recovered one bullet that travelled nearly lengthwise the animal, the others were side shots and showed poor opening.  I've traced dozens of wound channels on mostly side shots and this is very obvious to the eye.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:32:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I would have no problem doing so. I wouldn't have an issue shooting at that distance with my pistol, but 50 yards would be my absolute top end for game hunting with a handgun.

230 gr Gold Dot at 1000 fps is a damn good long range load for handguns.

I still do my hunting with a rifle though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Sure I would.  But then again I have taken two bucks with 410 slugs in my Winchester 9410.  I like the challenge of getting close to take my deer.  Sort of like bow hunting with a bang at the end.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:59:16 PM EDT
[#4]
With my ultra accurate les Baer and some gold dots or hydra Shoks, I'd hunt deer without hesitation.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ill just say it works and leave it at that.

So does a .22lr

Neither my first choice
View Quote

This. There are better choices in a hunting handgun. I'd trust the .357 Mag, .44 Mag or 10mm at typical pistol distances. That being said, I've taken my Colt 10mm deer hunting many times in case I ever got a close-in shot. Hasn't happened yet, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I would not.  Unless I was really really hungry and had no rifle to shoot at said future dinner.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I've finished off a lot of deer with various handguns. Only deer I shot with a handgun from start to finish was a typical 100 pound west Texas doe. She was about 7 yards from me and I shot her in the side of the head with my Glock 22. It was loaded with 180 grain Ranger T. Not surprisingly it was like she had been hit by lightning. DRT. But I couldn't in good conscience shoot a deer in less perfect conditions unless I was needing sustenance.

RC
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I shot this one with a 10mm and it didn't take a step.   30 yards, the bullet penetrated almost all the way through lengthwise (stuck somewhere in the rear hind quarters).   I would hesitate to call a 10mm a "very poor choice" for deer hunting.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd rather use 10mm.

It is a better choice.

Having said that, all of the options that fit into a service pistol are very poor choices compared to even a relatively low powered rifle cartridge like the 7.62x39 or .30-30.  Tracing wound channels provides absolutely clear proof of just how poor service pistol performance is compared to such rifle rounds and will make absolutely clear also how important perfect shot placement is.  With a good expanding bullet that strikes at high enough velocity to actually expand the bullet, the pistol rounds will work as is evidenced by some of the posts here, but there really is little room for error and the guy that chooses to go this route owes the animal a lot of range time and very high skill levels.

I shot this one with a 10mm and it didn't take a step.   30 yards, the bullet penetrated almost all the way through lengthwise (stuck somewhere in the rear hind quarters).   I would hesitate to call a 10mm a "very poor choice" for deer hunting.

Click To View Spoiler

I took my first deer with a handgun this year-used a g20 with a 6" barrel and very very hot 200gr xtp hand loads. Put it in the boiler room at about 50 yards and it only made a few steps before hitting the dirt. I was surprised at how similar the damage looked to deer I've hit with rifles.

Eta: the round made a complete pass through. I tested the load this summer on milk jugs and it made it into the back of the sixth jug which was far greater than I expected given the 1350-1400fps velocity and the fact that I was only 10 ft away or so
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 4:44:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This. There are better choices in a hunting handgun. I'd trust the .357 Mag, .44 Mag or 10mm at typical pistol distances. That being said, I've taken my Colt 10mm deer hunting many times in case I ever got a close-in shot. Hasn't happened yet, unfortunately.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ill just say it works and leave it at that.

So does a .22lr

Neither my first choice

Agreed, I prefer a 357 mag revolver for deer.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Any caliber can drop a deer, like a rock. Shot placement is infinitely more important than hole size. It's all a matter of how accurately you can consistently shoot your handgun. To make a clean kill with a defensive caliber handgun, you'd likely need a head (let's not get into whether those are ethical for the moment) or neck shot, or maybe an expertly/luckily placed heart/lung shot.

This is just like the debates about which caliber is 'good enough' for self-defense. If you're *positive* you can effectively headshot under stress, carry a .22 if it is what works best. For most, a larger and more marksmanship-forgiving caliber is the preferred choice...having said that, I can vouch that a Glock will drop a deer in its tracks if you do your part. This is more about skill level (or luck) than bullet size.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I've seen it done and the deer was DRT.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#12]
When I was a kid, the old timers in Alaska told stories of waiting on game trails for blacktails with the .22 Buckmark pistol.  Head shots, close range in the ear, nice and calm, steady, steady.  
I got the impression that these guys were not too excited about the dog sized game that they were hunting and excellent pistol shooters.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Knowing my shooting ability I wouldn't have an issue dropping the hammer on a whitetail where I live if the shot presented itself.  I once walked up on a bedded 12pt whitetail around 04' in Kentucky at 25m.  I immediately drew a bead and said I'll try and get you next week.  I was carrying my EDC 1911 with 230gr Fed HydraShoks.  Never saw him again.  I normally handgun hunt with one of my .41s and feel comfortable to 100m.

KY game regs at the time allowed any centerfire round from a handgun, even .25 ACP would have been legal.  NC where I live now has no restrictions (Deer and bear may be taken with a handgun during the established gun hunting season. There are no restrictions on barrel length or caliber)  Therefore even .22LR handguns are legal here.

CD
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top