Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/23/2014 6:37:29 PM EDT
I sold my primary home defense gun because someone that came over saw it and liked it more than I did.. just a beater SKS...

I want to replace it and the GF wants a pistol because she doesn't want a big bulky thing..

so I need to pick a pistol and im hoping you guys can help me out..

I think I want a real duty/work gun like a glock, m9, m&p, HK idk...

I want 9mm, high capacity (15ish?), and I like the idea of double action first shot with single action hair trgger shots to follow, with the decocker safety type..

yeah I really don't know all that much about pistols, there much more rare around me because most of us are to lazy to go be harassed for a purchase permit...

I want to spend money wisely as far as buying a quality product, good resale value, and I would be very interested in purchasing a used one but that's limited for pistols here because there isn't much of a local 2nd hand market for pistols because of the purchase permit shit..

something tough and rugged also... I think im really leaning towards an m9 because of cheap magazine availability at the army surplus store near me, and because parts/ammo would be extremely available in event of war on American soil, like an AR ...

a nightstand gun that I could take to war as a patriot if shit ever goes down, an effective sidearm to go along with the AR-15...

please help with some opinions

any good reason not to get an M9?

thanks arfcom...

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The M9 would make a fine choice, although I would suggest the M9A1 or 92A1 if you are going to use it as a HD handgun as you would then have the ability to mount a light.  My personal suggestion would be a CZ 75 P-01, great DA/SA trigger with decocker, 14+1 but it accepts all CZ 75 magazines like the standard 16+1.  They hold value extremely well and can be found for less than $500.  Could also be used as a carry gun if you choose to do so in the future.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Glock 19
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#3]
You described a P226 (or other DA/SA SIG) perfectly.  Buy a used one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#4]
DA/SA, tough, dependable, decocker safety -

HK USP or P30 in 9mm
Beretta M9/92
Various Sig models
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Based on what you described you are looking for either: SIG p226 or 229, HK USP, USPc, P30, or Beretta 92FS.

Of those, my recommendation would be a SIG p226 MK25. Second choice in that would be HK USP.

That is just my preference, any of the pistols I just listed would serve you well.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DA/SA, tough, dependable, decocker safety -

HK USP or P30 in 9mm
Beretta M9/92
Various Sig models
View Quote

Yup, I love a DA/SA for home defense or carry -- even though I switched to a 1911 because that's what I ended up shooting 99% of the time at the range... I was only shooting my sig to practice for carry and just decided to switch to 1911 for that.  

To expand on my prior recommendation a bit, one issue may be with the first pull for the gal using it, they can be stiff, and a good fit helps tremendously with that.  This leads into the other issue with a high round count you are looking for is grip diameter.  A single stack with an extended mag may work best in her hands, slimmer grips may also solve the issue, maybe find a shop with both and make sure it's good in her hands.  With 9mm, you will still have plenty (10-12) in a full size grip w/ slight extension.  Steel frame while heavier will help her manage the recoil.

.02c
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#7]
You described a Sig 226 or Beretta M9...from those I'd go Sig 226 every time.

However, I vote Glock 19.  It's cheaper, and IMHO, it's better too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Glock 19
View Quote

Second post nails it
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Second post nails it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock 19

Second post nails it

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#10]
wow thanks a lot for the helpful replies so far...

ill check out that sig 226, and I have a great hk p30 airsoft that I really like the feel of but there quite expencive around a grand right?

if I remember right the regular m9 has no under rail and the a1 does.. something like 500-600 for m9 and 750 ish for m9a1...

and the thing with the glock is I greatly prefer the old school metal frame, im not too much a fan of plastic...
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ill check out that sig 226, and I have a great hk p30 airsoft that I really like the feel of but there quite expencive around a grand right?

if I remember right the regular m9 has no under rail and the a1 does.. something like 500-600 for m9 and 750 ish for m9a1...

and the thing with the glock is I greatly prefer the old school metal frame, im not too much a fan of plastic...
View Quote

M9A1 can be found for much cheaper, here for $575 shipped

Or the 92A1 for the same here
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

If price is an issues, HK and SIG are more expensive about a grand. Beretta is cheaper. If you go that route get the 92A1 that has the dovetailed in front sight and the rail. Pick that over the M9.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Glock 19
View Quote

There are a bunch of basic questions here that we general answer in the same way to the point that it gets boreing.

The answers to the questions in no particular order are

AR-15
Garand
30-06
9mm
S&W 686
S&W 642
10/22

And to todays question-- as others have said the real best safe answer is Glock 19 . Yeah there are other good pistols that would work well for some folks but the one best pistol fhat fits the OPs general description for most people trying to do all the things the OP talked about is the 19
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I love how the Glock boys completely miss your preference for DA/SA and state the 19 is the perfect match.

Others have already listed the main pistols that match your stated preferences (Glock doesn't match). The Walther P99 did have a version that was DA/SA with decocking button. The 3rd gen S&Ws also match.

Now you go try to rent the SIG, Beretta and HK and see which you shoot the best. Doubt you'll find a CZ or P99 for rent. You might find a gen 3 S&W, but I kinda doubt it.

If you're trying to stick to a budget, I think the answer is the SIG SP2022. Pretty much duty sized, 9mm (or .40), 15 round capacity, DA/SA and can be found under $400. It fails your requirement for easy parts to scavenge, but if that's your survival plan, you need to reevaluate.

That all said, if you're not already practiced with the DA/SA, you're doing yourself a disservice by not considering the strikers (coming from a guy who's only striker is a P7...). Try renting a Glock and an S&W M&P. Should be easy to find both. I suspect you'll find their triggers easier to use. If you like the grip angle, go Glock.  If not, try other strikers. P320, VP9 and PPQ. They're all roughly the same price.

My point is, go shoot various styles and find out what you like, don't just buy what you think you'll like. That DA/SA transition takes more practice to do right than you think.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#15]
hmmm..

what I know of the da/sa is that you don't really have a  on/off safety, its just you decock the hammer and that puts it in double action to where you have a very stiff trigger pull to cock the hammer and trip it all in one...

so you leave one in the pipe with the hammer up, and the safety is pretty much the first strong trigger pull, or you could choose to just pull the hammer with your thumb before the first shot to get rid of the heavy trigger and get the short take up for a accurate shot..

it looks like I can pick up a 92a1 local to me at jays for 660 brand new with 3 mags... that is very appealing..

can you get th 92a1 in the "inox" stainless/chrome version? I don't see it available but I may pay a bit more for that..

if I wanted to spend a bit more id be looking towards the p30l, the gf likes it because it has those finger grip bumps.. as for me im not really convinced that the hk is better than the beretta...

what are some real advantages of the p30l over the 92a1?

lower capacity, +$300, 1 less mag, like the box...  

is its mechanism a much better design? or very much better build quality? what would really sell me the hk over the 92a1 other than that p30l is one sexy looking pistol...

gawd its sexy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:25:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

The HK USP can be found around $650 used.  Check EE, should be able to find something that sticks out at you.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I love how the Glock boys completely miss your preference for DA/SA and state the 19 is the perfect match.

Others have already listed the main pistols that match your stated preferences (Glock doesn't match). The Walther P99 did have a version that was DA/SA with decocking button. The 3rd gen S&Ws also match.

Now you go try to rent the SIG, Beretta and HK and see which you shoot the best. Doubt you'll find a CZ or P99 for rent. You might find a gen 3 S&W, but I kinda doubt it.

If you're trying to stick to a budget, I think the answer is the SIG SP2022. Pretty much duty sized, 9mm (or .40), 15 round capacity, DA/SA and can be found under $400. It fails your requirement for easy parts to scavenge, but if that's your survival plan, you need to reevaluate.

That all said, if you're not already practiced with the DA/SA, you're doing yourself a disservice by not considering the strikers (coming from a guy who's only striker is a P7...). Try renting a Glock and an S&W M&P. Should be easy to find both. I suspect you'll find their triggers easier to use. If you like the grip angle, go Glock.  If not, try other strikers. P320, VP9 and PPQ. They're all roughly the same price.

My point is, go shoot various styles and find out what you like, don't just buy what you think you'll like. That DA/SA transition takes more practice to do right than you think.
View Quote

I admit I did miss it. And will supplement my recommendation with a sig sauer p228
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Glock 19
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:34:02 PM EDT
[#19]
checking out the CZ 75 sp01 tactical...

its really winning my heart..
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Another for SP-01, P-01, P-07, or P-09.  I have never held a pistol that feels as good in my hand as my 75 PCR.

The P-07 and P-09 are polymer framed and can be had under $500.  They can be set up with a safety or decocker and come with both parts.

But, coming from someone who loves DA/SA autos, try a striker fired pistol if it is your first handgun, especially for your girlfriend.  They are so simple, no safety, no decocker, the same trigger pull every time.  They also tend to be cheaper than DA/SA autos and come standard with rails for lights.  The trigger on a Glock really isn't much worse than the single action pull on my P226 and PCR.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:20:09 AM EDT
[#21]
could I install a decocker onto any cz 75 instead of its safety?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:37:15 AM EDT
[#22]
what about a docter red dot or an RMR?

are there any known mounts for the CZ pistols?

edit- yeah there are...
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:25:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
what about a docter red dot or an RMR?

View Quote

The COD is strong with this one.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Look for a CZ 75BD, that is the decocker version. The SP01 is the BD with a rail, and the P01 is the SP01 with a compact frame/slide.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Why do you want a "hair" trigger? That is a big problem! Most of us older guys, I'm 65, learned to shoot with revolvers with 15lb triggers. It teaches you trigger control. Not saying you need a 15lb trigger for ccw, but it is a good training device. I would advise you to get a revolver and train with that before you get a "hair" trigger. Might keep you from shooting yourself or someone else with an accidental discharge.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why do you want a "hair" trigger? That is a big problem! Most of us older guys, I'm 65, learned to shoot with revolvers with 15lb triggers. It teaches you trigger control. Not saying you need a 15lb trigger for ccw, but it is a good training device. I would advise you to get a revolver and train with that before you get a "hair" trigger. Might keep you from shooting yourself or someone else with an accidental discharge.
View Quote

My competition 2011 is 2.25 lbs.  Touch it and it goes off.  Carry 1911 is 4.5 lbs.  I wouldn't go lighter.  Also, for a nightstand gun I prefer the cocked and locked 1911 or DA/SA over a striker.  Trigger safeties are ok for carry in a holster but trying to grab a gun in the dark or if it's not in a holster where if you hit the trigger it goes off, no thanks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Safety/ decocker, DA/SA describes the USP.  9mm for the OP's capacity requirements
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Glock 19
View Quote

Yup

You'll just end up with one after trying several guns anyways
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can buy a decocker version. 75BD

Or the omega version can be decocker or safety, not both at same time though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Safety/ decocker, DA/SA describes the USP.  9mm for the OP's capacity requirements
View Quote

^This!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I meant single action mode, crisp tigger...
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I can find a bd version for $620 ish new, actually around its msrp..

the only sp01's I can find are $100 over there msrp new at like $775, and I doubt there would be many of those used... but I really like that tactical

p30l v3's are looking to be 1100-1200

92a1's around $660..

no warm fuzzy feeling for the glock...

that's just pretty much prices at jay's/gander around me.. I have much more searching to do, including the used market...
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Alright, OP, you're kind of all over the place here. First you're talking about a reasonably priced utility pistol and all of the sudden you're talking about putting a red dot on it.  In my opinion, you're getting way ahead of yourself here.

First, you need to find a place to rent some pistols. Yes, it's going to cost you a bit in rental fees, but you need to actually get a feel for some pistols and their actions. I get the impression you haven't handled many and don't fully understand the ins and outs. I seriously suspect you will struggle to start and you will especially have problems with the DA/SA transition. Once you find a pistol you like the feel of and shoot well (not always the same), make a purchase. Then, sign up for a training class from a REPUTABLE instructor. Not just whoever happens to do classes at your local range.

From there, practice often, both at the range and dry fire. You should end up spending as much (or more) on training and ammo as you do on the pistol.

Finally, I don't know where in Michigan you are, but local prices are definitely inflated in the Metro Detroit area. You will probably do better purchasing online, shipping to a FFL and paying transfer. I normally like to frequent local brick and mortar businesses, but local prices are silly for me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Alright, OP, you're kind of all over the place here. First you're talking about a reasonably priced utility pistol and all of the sudden you're talking about putting a red dot on it.  In my opinion, you're getting way ahead of yourself here.

First, you need to find a place to rent some pistols. Yes, it's going to cost you a bit in rental fees, but you need to actually get a feel for some pistols and their actions. I get the impression you haven't handled many and don't fully understand the ins and outs. I seriously suspect you will struggle to start and you will especially have problems with the DA/SA transition. Once you find a pistol you like the feel of and shoot well (not always the same), make a purchase. Then, sign up for a training class from a REPUTABLE instructor. Not just whoever happens to do classes at your local range.

From there, practice often, both at the range and dry fire. You should end up spending as much (or more) on training and ammo as you do on the pistol.

Finally, I don't know where in Michigan you are, but local prices are definitely inflated in the Metro Detroit area. You will probably do better purchasing online, shipping to a FFL and paying transfer. I normally like to frequent local brick and mortar businesses, but local prices are silly for me.
View Quote

reasonably priced yes as in a good deal, but I want something nice and am willing to pay for that..

I already have a docter reddot that goes on and off my AR, yeah id like to be able to swap it to the pistol too, maybe buy another just for that purpose if that's what I like..

ive probably shot around 10 pistols, im more into scope shooting and most of my experience is in that area...

im looking for a DA/SA decocker with no safety, something I can grab and just squeeze without having to think about its mechanism at all...
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I can find a bd version for $620 ish new, actually around its msrp..

the only sp01's I can find are $100 over there msrp new at like $775, and I doubt there would be many of those used... but I really like that tactical

p30l v3's are looking to be 1100-1200

92a1's around $660..

no warm fuzzy feeling for the glock...

that's just pretty much prices at jay's/gander around me.. I have much more searching to do, including the used market...
View Quote

Look up kygunco for CZ

That's wayyyyyy too much for a BD

I paid $450 for one over the summer new
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:11:24 PM EDT
[#36]
G19 or M&P9 will both do what you want and both have a rail.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Your best bet is to go in a store and both of you handle various guns. Make sure to check magazine, slide release, and trigger (ask) operations to make sure they work for you.

That said, your best bet are going to be HK VP9, Glock 19/17, or a S&W M&P9, and a kydex holster. Honestly, stay away from DA/SA. Most likely you both are going to suck with it, and she might even not be able to comfortably pull the DA trigger. Additionally, the Beretta M9 has a slide mounted/safety decocker, which again, does not work for most people.

The Kydex holster acts as a safety. The handgun locks into place in it and the trigger is covered so the handgun cannot go off. Those models above, listed in that order, are what is going to work best for MOST people. They are all comparably priced and while the Glock and M&P have cheaper magazines and more holster options than the H&K VP9, the VP9 has noticeably an easier slide to rack, is fully ambidextrous, and the grip offers the most user customizability with 27 options. They all have adequate self defense triggers that are not too light. Don't worry about replacement parts as they all have warranties and most likely you will never break either of the three in your life.

My recommendation if you go with the three above:
-Get the HK from Georgia Gun Store. Lowest price at $550 plus ~$25 shipping and very fast service
-Get the S&W M&P either from their or perhaps a reputable dealer that gives you a better deal, perhaps your LGS has one for only $50 more.
-Get the Glock via the GSSF program which you sign up for two years at $60 dollars. They give you a coupon that you can use for any 9mm blue label Glock at $425. As a member, you will also be able to participate in their events and develop your skills.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#38]
sticking wih DA/SA decocker w/no safety... I cant imagine it being any simpler.. anyone can just grab and squeeze even if they've never heard of the gun before, nothing to learn..

either squeeze off the first shot or thumb the hammer if you have time and want an accurate first shot...  decide to quit shooting and just flip a lever to put it right back in double with the hammer down and its safe enough to put back in the drawer..

and will be a much better plinker because of the light single action trigger, not to mention a full steel framed gun will soak up all the recoil..

im going to go feel em up at the gunstore soon..

I really hope we will like the feel of either CZ 75BD or CZ SP-01 tactical,...

I really hope we don't just fall in love with a HK P30L V3 but if we do, then so be it

maybe wind up with a good old M9, 92A1

truthfully id be more interested in a SAO gun than a striker/DAO gun, I like clean triggers on my guns, but id rather pull a stiff trigger than have to find a safety, or her have to find a safety in the dark...

and my girl isn't some weak blond, I think she can comprehend either hard trigger or pull hammer and have plenty of muscle to pull the trigger in DA anyway...
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#39]
question...

can I convert any CZ 75 into a decocker instead of the safety or not? or just the omega?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
sticking wih DA/SA decocker w/no safety... I cant imagine it being any simpler.. anyone can just grab and squeeze even if they've never heard of the gun before, nothing to learn..

either squeeze off the first shot or thumb the hammer if you have time and want an accurate first shot...  decide to quit shooting and just flip a lever to put it right back in double with the hammer down and its safe enough to put back in the drawer..

and will be a much better plinker because of the light single action trigger, not to mention a full steel framed gun will soak up all the recoil..

im going to go feel em up at the gunstore soon..

I really hope we will like the feel of either CZ 75BD or CZ SP-01 tactical,...

I really hope we don't just fall in love with a HK P30L V3 but if we do, then so be it

maybe wind up with a good old M9, 92A1

truthfully id be more interested in a SAO gun than a striker/DAO gun, I like clean triggers on my guns, but id rather pull a stiff trigger than have to find a safety, or her have to find a safety in the dark...

and my girl isn't some weak blond, I think she can comprehend either hard trigger or pull hammer and have plenty of muscle to pull the trigger in DA anyway...
View Quote

FWIW, many of us have experience with every single gun you are talking about. Personally, in the HK world I have both an HK45 - which has a nicer trigger than a P30 mind you - as well as a VP9. The HK45 double action is atrocious, and the single action still doesn't hold a candle to the VP9's striker trigger. The double action on a P30 is like a guerrilla trigger. It's not all about your strength, if you grip the gun in a rush with too much finger, it will be virtually impossible to pull an HK double action as again, the trigger breaks much farther back.

As for the M9, you are going to want a G model or else you will have a safety on it.

The CZs are nice pistols like anything else, however their slide rides on internal rails, making for a really short slide to grasp. It's just a harder handgun to rack, there's no way around it.

A good idea others have suggested is to rent one of each kind (one of the strikers mentioned above and a DA/SA) and both you guys shoot them and see what mechanism you prefer.

The striker fired pistols I am speaking of do not have an external safety. The trigger's break at 5-6lbs and if it's loaded and not in use, keep it in a kydex holster. The gun will never go off no matter how mean you look at it

Ultimately it's your choice and you have to see what works best for you. Both of you may find that you both prefer the DA/SA pull, which is fine, however the point I am trying to make is just because it is SA doesn't mean it has a better trigger than a striker and that most people (in my experience as well as all those echoing G19 in this thread) go in thinking they want a DA/SA and find that a striker fired mechanisms works better for them.

For the record, all three HK VP9 triggers I've fired have a better trigger than any SA gun I can think of short of a nice 1911. Again, point being just because it's hammer fired, doesn't mean it's nicer.

YMMV

ETA: To answer your question, yes someone ("Can I?" is a different question though. It's not drop in if that's what you're asking) can convert any CZ 75 however my recommendation would to purchase it the way you want it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Second post nails it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock 19

Second post nails it

No it didn't. Read how the OP wants a decocker, then try again.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Based on what you described you are looking for either: SIG p226 or 229, HK USP, USPc, P30, or Beretta 92FS.

Of those, my recommendation would be a SIG p226 MK25. Second choice in that would be HK USP.

That is just my preference, any of the pistols I just listed would serve you well.
View Quote
I thinb the Sig would be better, you can add a light to a user friendly rail system while as much as I love the USP line, they make choosing lights severely limited.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There are a bunch of basic questions here that we general answer in the same way to the point that it gets boreing.

AR-15
Garand
30-06
9mm
S&W 686
S&W 642
10/22

And to todays question-- as others have said the real best safe answer is Glock 19 . Yeah there are other good pistols that would work well for some folks but the one best pistol fhat fits the OPs general description for most people trying to do all the things the OP talked about is the 19
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock 19

AR-15
Garand
30-06
9mm
S&W 686
S&W 642
10/22

You meant the VP9, he did mention a good trigger.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I thinb the Sig would be better, you can add a light to a user friendly rail system while as much as I love the USP line, they make choosing lights severely limited.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I wish they would just start making the usp with standard rails.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Smith 5906 would be a good fit base on what you listed in the OP.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:50:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Glock 19
View Quote

Slap on a TLR1 and night sights, and you've got the best choice for a HD pistol

You want a gun you can just pick up and shoot. Glock is your answer. No decocker but it will not go off unless you pull the trigger
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:05:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:52:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
checking out the CZ 75 sp01 tactical...

its really winning my heart..
View Quote

Same pistol I've been eyeing myself....can't really go wrong with a CZ handgun. It's an easy to shoot, easy to hold pistol. Excellent choice IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:06:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
question...

can I convert any CZ 75 into a decocker instead of the safety or not? or just the omega?
View Quote

No, and it's unnecessary because CZ makes plenty of decocker versions of their pistol lines. For full size, you have the CZ 75 BD and SP-01 Tactical (which you already mentioned). For the compacts, you have the P-01, the PCR (which is what I own for CC), and the P-06.

The Omega trigger has nothing to do with what's behind the trigger group. It's just a simplified trigger system that's *supposedly* easier to field strip, maintain, and has a longer service life.

What you should really do is go physically hold both a full size and compact CZ before deciding what you want. The P-01 and PCR are nearly identical size-wise as are the 75 BD and SP-01. Regardless of what model they may have in stock at any given time, you'll get an idea on whether you'd want a compact or not pretty quick. Seeing as how your lady wants something more manageable it's worth at least a look. For a full size I'd definitely lean towards the SP-01 platform, P-01 for a compact to be used in the home, and the PCR for a compact you'd want to carry concealed. You really want that accessory rail on a gun meant primarily for home defense, finding yourself in a situation where you can't identify what's going bump in the night just makes whatever situation about 10x worse. Shooting blind is NEVER advisable.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:01:24 AM EDT
[#50]
It's hard to beat a Beretta 92.

A SIG wouldn't be a terrible choice either.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top