BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been a Glock fanboy through and through forever.  My first call for a SHTF gun would obviously be a 17, or if you really wanted "fullsize" even a 34.

Lately though, I have been giving a lot of thought to long-term sustainability for your gun.  I recently bought a Beretta 92FS.  The thinking is that these guns are battle tested and proven to be tough.  You also have the added benefit that in a true SHTF situation, there is a good likelyhood that a lot of battlefield pickups you will find with be M9s as well.  This would give you a good source of spare parts, mags, and ammo.  Just my $.02.
View Quote
You'd be better off with Glock, no open slide to let all sorts of crap get inside and discombobulate things. Great range gun, not the best for SHTF. The 92 won the M9 trials due to pork politics from congress when the 226 was the clear winner.

There's a good reason certain units not under big Army with better budgets went with the G23 or the G19 and the M9 faded away while you'll see an occasional 1911 still being carried.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Glock 41 or Glock 20, weaponlight, good holster, lots of mags, 2k rounds minimum and it would be hard to find a better setup than that for weathering the WROL storm.  Hard hitting for 2 legged and 4 legged, good for hunting, easily reloadable, best weight to round count ratio out there...abundance of parts both OEM and aftermarket for that rare spring change out (i can't guess what parts would break first after that first 50k rounds).

Be nice if the G20 was the issued military sidearm...if you're stuck with FMJ might as well get a nice full powered WFNGC 200 grain DT hunting round, and 15+1 of them in a nearly indestructible weapon.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:58:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I will never understand this type of thinking. If anyone ever gets into this type of situation what makes you think your are going to survive so many different engagements that you will need to pick up a different weapon or replace parts. I'm all about being prepared but if it's TEOTWAWKI (which is already super unlikely IMO) I'm taking an AR and either my Glock 19 or SIG 226. I'll probably be dead before any parts break or I need to replace magazines. And if I don't die, the situation will probably end before I need to start replacing mags and parts and I'm definitely not getting into 20 or 30 all out firefights.

Train with a quality weapon, have a few reloads for you and your family and be done with it. Focus on the training aspect more than the equipment aspect.

I'm not saying don't be prepared equipment wise, I just think there are more important areas to focus on than what gun will have mags that I can pick up off of thousands of dead people. This isn't hollywood.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I will never understand this type of thinking. If anyone ever gets into this type of situation what makes you think your are going to survive so many different engagements that you will need to pick up a different weapon or replace parts. I'm all about being prepared but if it's TEOTWAWKI (which is already super unlikely IMO) I'm taking an AR and either my Glock 19 or SIG 226. I'll probably be dead before any parts break or I need to replace magazines. And if I don't die, the situation will probably end before I need to start replacing mags and parts and I'm definitely not getting into 20 or 30 all out firefights.

Train with a quality weapon, have a few reloads for you and your family and be done with it. Focus on the training aspect more than the equipment aspect.

I'm not saying don't be prepared equipment wise, I just think there are more important areas to focus on than what gun will have mags that I can pick up off of thousands of dead people. This isn't hollywood.
View Quote
Valid point, although those of us out in the rural areas might be riding things out for long periods, not very many people here, we all know each other and get along so who knows how long we could last.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:44:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Depends if you want capacity or bigger rounds. I've been fighting myself on this for years. I love my 1911s but I also love my sig and Glocks, can't really say I think either would be a bad choice
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#6]
If you like CZ's, then buy a CZ. With all these people talking about scavenging spare parts and so on, why the hell wouldn't you just take and use the whole gun? Use what you like, get a spare spring kit, if it really gets that bad you can always switch guns later.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#7]
This topic comes up for rifles and pistols all the time....and every time the weapon that fills most of the criteria needed for SHTF is the better weapon.

reliable/durable
easy to fix
many parts and mags available
common caliber
light weight
mag capacity

In that case the best choice would be a glock in 9mm. Or a Glock in 40 with 40 and 9mm barrel

other reasons to pick a glock are
no safety to remember
same trigger pull each time (not DA/SA)
FA option or conversion
doesn't rust

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This topic comes up for rifles and pistols all the time....and every time the weapon that fills most of the criteria needed for SHTF is the better weapon.

reliable/durable
easy to fix
many parts and mags available
common caliber
light weight
mag capacity

In that case the best choice would be a glock in 9mm. Or a Glock in 40 with 40 and 9mm barrel

other reasons to pick a glock are
no safety to remember
same trigger pull each time (not DA/SA)
FA option or conversion
doesn't rust

View Quote

No, just no.

The better weapon is what is subjective to you, but that doesn't mean it is the best of them all.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:22:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I like my 1911, I have 15 round magazines , they may stick out but in shtf who cares.  my backup is my Taurus millennium and I carry spare parts and magazines.  lately I am looking at upgrading to either a para ordnance p14 black ops or the fnh fnx 45.  seriously it is a hard decision.  remember only hits count and the fbi shooting reports say on the average it takes 3 rounds from a 9mm and only 1 from a .45acp to stop an assailant.   I have not seen anything from the .40 yet.   I got to shoot my brothers ppq m2 navy in 9mm and if they made it in .45acp I would own one, that trigger is addictive.  I would love to shoot a sig sauer mk25, I have owned glocks but don't like the striker, that is why the Taurus is on its way out.  it did fit my hand better than the glocks for ccw though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like my 1911, I have 15 round magazines , they may stick out but in shtf who cares.  my backup is my Taurus millennium and I carry spare parts and magazines.  lately I am looking at upgrading to either a para ordnance p14 black ops or the fnh fnx 45.  seriously it is a hard decision.  remember only hits count and the fbi shooting reports say on the average it takes 3 rounds from a 9mm and only 1 from a .45acp to stop an assailant.   I have not seen anything from the .40 yet.   I got to shoot my brothers ppq m2 navy in 9mm and if they made it in .45acp I would own one, that trigger is addictive.  I would love to shoot a sig sauer mk25, I have owned glocks but don't like the striker, that is why the Taurus is on its way out.  it did fit my hand better than the glocks for ccw though.
View Quote

Are you sure about those data?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the FBI report say that all service calibers are essentially somewhere in the 70% effective range meaning all service calibers would likely need 2 good hits to be enough to stop the threat.

Do I think 45 is more effective? Yes. But the amount doesn't mean it's 3 times better if you can shoot a 9 quicker and more accurately. Shoot the caliber you are most comfortable with and if that's .45 for you then so be it but don't spread uneducated BS that it will take 3 hits with a 9 to accomplish what 1 round of 45 will do. They are all pistol rounds and all poor man stoppers. For me capacity and quick but accurate follow ups is most important.

I carry a 226 tacops as my duty weapon. 20+1 rounds of 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Your talking end of world.  In that case get a Glock and M&P both and be done with it.  If you are a two is one guy get another identical CZ.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#13]
strange cause the last time I saw the FBI report there was no real difference in one shot stop between calibers and they are going to 9mm handguns bureau wide.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:49:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
strange cause the last time I saw the FBI report there was no real difference in one shot stop between calibers and they are going to 9mm handguns bureau wide.
View Quote
.40 was wearing out service weapons faster than normal. And if you think logistics doesn't take notice in an agency as big as the FBI, then I don't know what to tell you.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:41:14 AM EDT
[#15]
from what I am reading , there is better 9mm ammo now but then there is better .45acp ammo too.  according to the fbi report the edge still goes with the larger bullet.  9mm vs. .45acp , the only reason for the 9mm is a larger magazine capacity, but the fnh fnx 45 and para ordnance p14 have pretty much muted that argument.  as far as getting hits the ppq m2 is doing great but trying to say the 9mm is better because you compared it to a 1911 is not really fair.  I'm sure some manufacturer somewhere will be putting that trigger on a .45acp.   all primers dimple about the same so it is just a matter of time before the .45acp gets a better trigger.  ask the guys in Afghanistan how they like the 9mm, not any I met have.  the military is stuck using fmj and if you do a comparison of that the .45acp, the .45acp comes out on top again.   the U.S. military has seen the problem with the 9mm and was in the process of picking a new .45acp pistol when funding ran out, (by the way the fnh was doing pretty good).  I don't feel that much difference in shooting a 9mm than a .45acp.  the only real difference was the trigger on the walther ppq m2 navy I shot.  I already asked walther if any plans were being made to include a .45acp ppq m2 but they said not at this time.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#16]
SHTF criteria:

reliable
inexpensive
common caliber
easy to fix
tons of spare parts and mags
doesn't rust easy
higher mag capacity
light weight
accurate

If you want a pistol with all these SHTF criteria the only answer is a Glock in 9mm preferably G17

What other pistol can you tell me has ALL these things?

Sig pistols even the stainless still rust, have DA/SA, heavy, expensive, not easy to fix, need special tools to disassemble the bolt parts/mags aren't as common and have 15 or 20 rd mags not 17 or 33
HK mostly the same issues
Beretta same
1911 isn't even in the running

additional benefits of glock ... no safety to think about, no DA/SA and can be made into FA
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
SHTF criteria:

reliable
inexpensive
common caliber
easy to fix
doesn't rust easy
higher mag capacity
light weight
accurate

If you want a pistol with all these SHTF criteria the only answer is a Glock in 9mm preferably G17

Sig pistols even the stainless still rust, have DA/SA, heavy, expensive, not easy to fix, need special tools to disassemble the bolt parts/mags aren't as common and have 15 or 20 rd mags not 17 or 33
Beretta same

additional benefits of glock ... no safety to think about, no DA/SA and can be made into FA
View Quote
You've chosen a logistical viewpoint, and made some conjecture about other guns while making propaganda about Glocks.

Not that reliable
Same price as the VP9, an HK, and superior to the 17.
Correct on the common caliber.
lol, you're one of those sitting on a pile of parts who thinks they will actually need them all...that is mot making me feel comfy about having a gun that you know will break a lot according to your logic.
HK will not rust easy
Mag capacity is derp, two less rounds, oh noes its the end of the world...but you get a more reliable magazine.
I have rods in my back and my lumbar's have nerve damage, and EDCing even a 1911 doesn't hurt combined with the right holster.
Not that accurate. G17 is a strictly 8 MOA at 25 yards while just the M&P alone is capable of just 6 with the same distance.

Again, your reasons is because you don't want to or cannot afford the money, and logistical in nature.

More honesty, just admit that and you don't have to say things that are not true.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You've chosen a logistical viewpoint, and made some conjecture about other guns while making propaganda about Glocks.

Not that reliable
lol, you're one of those sitting on a pile of parts who thinks they will actually need them all...that is mot making me feel comfy about having a gun that you know will break a lot according to your logic.
HK will not rust easy
Mag capacity is derp, two less rounds, oh noes its the end of the world...but you get a more reliable magazine.
I have rods in my back and my lumbar's have nerve damage, and EDCing even a 1911 doesn't hurt combined with the right holster.
Not that accurate. G17 is a strictly 8 MOA at 25 yards while just the M&P alone is capable of just 6 with the same distance.

Again, your reasons is because you don't want to or cannot afford the money, and logistical in nature.

More honesty, just admit that and you don't have to say things that are not true.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SHTF criteria:

reliable
inexpensive
common caliber
easy to fix
doesn't rust easy
higher mag capacity
light weight
accurate

Beretta same

Not that reliable
HK will not rust easy

I'm not talking about sitting on a pile of parts.
in a SHTF scenario you loose all your parts and tools. It will be easier to find glock parts and mags. It will be easier to fix too. I can take down a glock into every little part without specialized tools. 2 extra rounds? I'll take that. what about the 33 round mags? That's 18 extra rounds. My golck shoots very well. At 5 yards I'm hitting dime size targets repeatedly without any problems using standard sights and crap ammo. It eats any type of ammo I shoot. after thousands of rounds I have never had any problems with my glock.

so you admit that the other pistols hav less round count.
and how easy are they to fix without tools. Lets say the firing pin broke and you had to fix it.
Or you needed to find parts for it. How common are those weapons in comparison? I'm sure I'l find many others with glocks and mags
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

in a SHTF scenario you loose all your parts and tools. It will be easier to find glock parts and mags. It will be easier to fix too. I can take down a glock into every little part without specialized tools. 2 extra rounds? I'll take that. what about the 33 round mags? That's 18 extra rounds. My golck shoots very well. At 5 yards I'm hitting dime size targets repeatedly without any problems using standard sights and crap ammo. It eats any type of ammo I shoot. after thousands of rounds I have never had any problems with my glock.

and how easy are they to fix without tools. Lets say the firing pin broke and you had to fix it.
Or you needed to find parts for it. How common are those weapons in comparison? I'm sure I'l find many others with glocks and mags
1911 and its 8 rounds are heavier than a glock with 17 round. Maybe you never had to hump a 26 lb vest on dismounted patrol but I have and I'm going with  lighter and more ammo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SHTF criteria:

reliable
inexpensive
common caliber
easy to fix
doesn't rust easy
higher mag capacity
light weight
accurate

Beretta same

Not that reliable
HK will not rust easy

1911 and its 8 rounds are heavier than a glock with 17 round. Maybe you never had to hump a 26 lb vest on dismounted patrol but I have and I'm going with  lighter and more ammo
In a SHTF, you won't be on route Irish or Tampa here in the states.

TPE Glock 19's come with nothing but 15 round mags, the M9 is a 15 round mag, I'm pretty no one feels under armed in SF or a line soldier.

How easy will it be? Seriously, who or where will you get these parts from? Seriously, where?

I'm a former 45B, now the 91F. Too easy to repair that even a Glock trained armorer can do it.

Why do I want 33 round mags? I have an SBR and the sidearm is a last resort if my main goes down or to get to my main.

Only 5 yards? I said 25, not 5.

Physics and MIM parts, your Glock has them going against it, but the same goes for other brands too. I have guns you junked that never once quit.

Maybe you need to not assume so much, maybe you just wore that happy gear on a tower, not dismounted at all, and sat on a FOB all day, calling green bean time as combat duty.

You like Glocks, cool. Nothing wrong with that. Calling them better than, and not being truthful, is what I find as an issue.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:56:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

TPE Glock 19's come with nothing but 15 round mags, the M9 is a 15 round mag, I'm pretty no one feels under armed in SF or a line soldier.

How easy will it be? Seriously, who or where will you get these parts from? Seriously, where?

I'm a former 45B, now the 91F. Too easy to repair that even a Glock trained armorer can do it.

Why do I want 33 round mags? I have an SBR and the sidearm is a last resort if my main goes down or to get to my main.

Physics and MIM parts, your Glock has them going against it, but the same goes for other brands too. I have guns you junked that never once quit.

Maybe you need to not assume so much, maybe you just wore that happy gear on a tower, not dismounted at all, and sat on a FOB all day, calling green bean time as combat duty.

You like Glocks, cool. Nothing wrong with that. Calling them better than, and not being truthful, is what I find as an issue.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SHTF criteria:

reliable
inexpensive
common caliber
easy to fix
doesn't rust easy
higher mag capacity
light weight
accurate

Beretta same

Not that reliable
HK will not rust easy

Who am I getting the parts from ? others that may have extra mags and parts because glocks are more common.
And you still didn't answer the question. If you have no tools and want to fix a broken firing pin will you be able to do it? Sigs can not and many other weapons need special bolt tools to do the job.
and we aren't talking about rifles  here. We are talking about pistols. That's what the OP said.  So just answer the questions.

Glocks are easy to take apart down to the last part without tools
Glocks can have more rounds 2 or 18 rounds more
glock parts in a shtf scenario will be easier to find simply because there are more of them
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:24:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Who am I getting the parts from ? others that may have extra mags and parts because glocks are more common.
And you still didn't answer the question. If you have no tools and want to fix a broken firing pin will you be able to do it? Sigs can not and many other weapons need special bolt tools to do the job.
and we aren't talking about rifles  here. We are talking about pistols. That's what the OP said.  So just answer the questions.

glock parts in a shtf scenario will be easier to find simply because there are more of them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SHTF criteria:

reliable
inexpensive
common caliber
easy to fix
doesn't rust easy
higher mag capacity
light weight
accurate

Beretta same

Not that reliable
HK will not rust easy

Yes, in reality if that ever happened, who in their right mind would give you their stuff? Who? Who? WHO??

I don't need derp this many rounds, because in reality I'd have a rifle with me too, but in regards to pistols, I'm set. I have total confidence in the EDC of my choice, something I don't need to put on a pedestal because there isn't one. No such thing as a super glock, a super HK, an so on. But I know mine works, works really well, and does better than minute of barn at 25.

You need a spare firing pin because your G17 uses a MIM part, but that derpity derp hate on the 1911, the one I got as is and didn't change, came with a titanium one. So which will break first and which will not, ask yourself that before you go off on conjecture and a propaganda based shout down match.

Do you seriously believe you're going to be roaming aimlessly on patrol in a SHTF? Me, I'm staying right put, I've got the food, water, and tools to keep me going, and a bench to keep my mags topped off.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Do you seriously believe you're going to be roaming aimlessly on patrol in a SHTF? Me, I'm staying right put, I've got the food, water, and tools to keep me going, and a bench to keep my mags topped off.[/
Wow what a tool. you must be like 14 years old or live in your mothers basement.

You don't know whats going to happen and the OP is about pistols not rifles and what you will have.
People with glocks may want to barter their spare parts or their extra mags.

if you're going to have a debate at least sound like you have more than a 3rd grade mentality.

I posted things that make pistols good SHTF weapons like the OP asked
then I showed that glocks filled those things
all you can say is everything but why those other pistols are better than a glock.

what a tool dirt bag with 3rd grade mentality you are.  if you have a reasonable explanation as to why those other pistols are as good please tell us ... otherwise go back to your mothers basement and stay off the forums

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:56:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Do you seriously believe you're going to be roaming aimlessly on patrol in a SHTF? Me, I'm staying right put, I've got the food, water, and tools to keep me going, and a bench to keep my mags topped off.[/
Wow what a tool. you must be like 14 years old or live in your mothers basement.

You don't know whats going to happen and the OP is about pistols not rifles and what you will have.
People with glocks may want to barter their spare parts or their extra mags.

if you're going to have a debate at least sound like you have more than a 3rd grade mentality.

I posted things that make pistols good SHTF weapons like the OP asked
then I showed that glocks filled those things
all you can say is everything but why those other pistols are better than a glock.

what a tool dirt bag with 3rd grade mentality you are.  if you have a reasonable explanation as to why those other pistols are as good please tell us ... otherwise go back to your mothers basement and stay off the forums

View Quote
If you're going to be a tool yourself, expect that type of behavior then in replies.

You want a discussion, use reality based facts.

You showed the OP what you like, nothing wrong with that, but you said as facts many things that you were wrong about, whether intentional or not...but after seeing you go on and on and on with fact-less based conjecture, I'm going with deliberate. OP wants a good gun, with features he wants, so give him an idea based on what he wants and not what you want or want him to have.

And I already told you why they are better than Glock.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Snip

Beretta same

View Quote

I have 18 rd flush fit mags for my SIG and 17 rd flush fit for Beretta. So Glock has the advantage of 33rd mags which to me takes away the mobility of a pistol. And once again, I feel that needing a 33 round reload is probably a completely unrealistic fantasy you have. And full auto... Are you serious? Have you ever fired a FA rifle or had any sort of tactical training whatsoever? I will pass on a FA pistol. This isn't the walking dead man. A realistic SHTF situation is like Katrina for an extended amount of time, or maybe a long blackout or something but if it's total war or zombies or whatever else kind of stuff you dream about you will not survive that many extended amount of gunfights. I don't know if you've heard but Santa isn't real either.

And how about this, most people will have Glocks so hoarders will scrap everyone else's stuff before you because they will want the parts.

I'm not saying Glock isn't a good choice, it's no doubt one of the best, but to say it like hands down without question is the best is silly. ANY quality gun is the best as long as it works for you. Training is the answer, not a particular gun manufacturer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#26]
There's really 2 conversations going on here.

The first is the masturbatory Mad-max world as a wasteland. Guys in this camp want to be able to loot the bodies of their enemies as they slay hordes of those who disobey them, or zombies, or something. They're not quite sure. Like a video game they want everyone to have the same gun, mags, and ammo.

The answer to this question is literally any gun you want. Like the Pakistan gun market, I'm sure there will be darkly lit huts where some self-taught gunsmith is hand-making guns from scrap metal. Here he will be able to fix your Glock or 1911 with paperclips and an old truck bed.

The other is a more realistic conversation but is much more inclusive. It involves anything that would involve defending yourself in a likely (as far as SD events are likely) and covers from home invasion to Katrina. In these situations having spare parts and mags available is important to negate the effects of training. In these scenarios you won't be involved in situations where the round count is so high you'll need spare parts or available magazines. In this case, any reasonably reliable handgun with available mags and spare parts orderable from Brownells, Midway, or the manufacturer (once again, to negate the wear and tear of training).

Before anyone gets wrapped around the axle defending any one particular brand, all companies have had bad runs and pieces leave the factory. Even the infallible Glock.

The fact is, there are a range of quality duty/fighting handguns.
HK USP, HK45s, PS2000, VP9
SIG Classic and P320 series (I wouldn't include the P320 except the experiences I've had with them)
Berretta 92/96 series (Really digging the M9A3)
Glock
S&W M&P series

Yes, there are others (CZs, Rugers, SigPros, etc...) But based on professional adoption, reputations, parts/mags availability (once again for training, not roaming the earth).

You really can't go wrong with any of these. In the end it falls to personal preference of ergos, holster availability (less of an issue in the golden age of custom holsters), sustainment cost of parts and mags (once again to negate the effects of training), and your ability to shoot it. Test every gun you decide to use to protect yourself, no gun has been free of bad apples, Glock's propaganda aside.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The first is the masturbatory Mad-max world as a wasteland. Guys in this camp want to be able to loot the bodies of their enemies as they slay hordes of those who disobey them, or zombies, or something. They're not quite sure. Like a video game they want everyone to have the same gun, mags, and ammo.

The answer to this question is literally any gun you want. Like the Pakistan gun market, I'm sure there will be darkly lit huts where some self-taught gunsmith is hand-making guns from scrap metal. Here he will be able to fix your Glock or 1911 with paperclips and an old truck bed.

The other is a more realistic conversation but is much more inclusive. It involves anything that would involve defending yourself in a likely (as far as SD events are likely) and covers from home invasion to Katrina. In these situations having spare parts and mags available is important to negate the effects of training. In these scenarios you won't be involved in situations where the round count is so high you'll need spare parts or available magazines. In this case, any reasonably reliable handgun with available mags and spare parts orderable from Brownells, Midway, or the manufacturer (once again, to negate the wear and tear of training).

Before anyone gets wrapped around the axle defending any one particular brand, all companies have had bad runs and pieces leave the factory. Even the infallible Glock.

SIG Classic and P320 series (I wouldn't include the P320 except the experiences I've had with them)
Glock
S&W M&P series

Yes, there are others (CZs, Rugers, SigPros, etc...) But based on professional adoption, reputations, parts/mags availability (once again for training, not roaming the earth).

You really can't go wrong with any of these. In the end it falls to personal preference of ergos, holster availability (less of an issue in the golden age of custom holsters), sustainment cost of parts and mags (once again to negate the effects of training), and your ability to shoot it. Test every gun you decide to use to protect yourself, no gun has been free of bad apples, Glock's propaganda aside.
View Quote
I really wish I could have articulated exactly what you had just said.

Big +1
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Glock
S&W M&P series

View Quote

I'd be happy with any of those.

And I agree with you about the reason I like to have spare parts around isn't because I think I will have to change them out from high round count gun fights, but because I shoot my guns enough to wear parts out and I don't want to wait for them to come in when I order them. And since parts are cheap I usually order 2 or 3 of them when I order one.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Spare parts??  You need a spare gun (preferably the same model)  If your gun fails it will be while shooting it.  At that point you need another firearm NOW, not a box of parts.

Like others have said.  There are many fine firearms to fit the bill.  Get one with a rail and put a light on it so you can id your target for HD.
Get extra mags filled and keep half of them with the firearm.  Train.  If you wear glasses, sleep with them on.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Literally any gun would do in a end of the world scenario.  You'd spend orders of magnitude more time as a subsistence gatherer than a shooter.

Glock 17, though.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top