Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/21/2014 2:52:45 PM EDT
I have a 9mm CZ 75 PCR Compact for carry, but I also want a full size pistol for home defense and general SHTF. Obviously, it has to be a tough as nails, never fails firearm. I have full confidence in my CZ given their reputation, but I'm not sure I want a second CZ just because of the redundancy factor. If I were to get a CZ, it'd be the SP-01 Tactical. But being a somewhat more of a heavy-duty built male, something larger like a 1911 fits much better in my hands. I once upon a time bought a Springfield 1911, but I'm in the process of selling it because I *really* want something with a rail I can attach a light to. Proper target ID is paramount in my mind, something I didn't think of before I bought it last year.

I have my eyes on the Colt Rail Gun, as I've heard Colt pistols have had a stellar reputation lately. The Beretta 92A1 is also one I've been keen on. I'm just not sure if 1911's in general, or the Colts, are known for being SHTF rugged/reliable. I know this discussion is going to open up the 9mm vs. 45ACP can of worms which will complicate things....but I'm open to 9mm 1911's as well. But don't think of this discussion as CZ vs 1911's, the floor is completely open to any pistol that fits the bill.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a fan of berettas. So that's my answer. The m9a1 has a rail but has a fixed front sight. The 92a1 has dovetailed front sight and a rail. Magazines are pretty cheap and anywhere from 15-20 rds
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a fan of berettas. So that's my answer. The m9a1 has a rail but has a fixed front sight. The 92a1 has dovetailed front sight and a rail. Magazines are pretty cheap and anywhere from 15-20 rds
View Quote

I definitely do want something with dovetailed sights so I can install some tritium on it. If I did go 9mm as I have with the PCR, it'd probably be either the 92A1 or SP-01 Tactial.

One question though for anyone who may know.... The CZ decockers face the rear of the weapon, so all it takes is moving your thumb up towards the hammer and pressing down on the decock lever. The Beretta levers face forward, which doesn't seem nearly as ergonomic. Can anyone speak to how easy it is to decock a CZ vs a Beretta?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#3]
it has to be a tough as nails, never fails firearm
View Quote

Might not be what you're looking for, but don't forget about the Glock offerings.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#4]
S&W 686 4" or 6"

why?

1. 100% stainless steel,no rust possible

2. easy to get hits with out to 100 meters

3. takes 357 & 38 spc both common calibers

4. no mags to lose or break

5. 357 is a good enough hunting round so game can be taken

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I have seen a handful of high round count firearms between myself and my friends, a few with over 50k down the pipe.

Glock and M&P are the ones I've seen do it, HK is about the only other out there that while I haven't personally seen do that, have no doubt that they would.

I'd be looking at them for your intended usage.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#6]
For that role...

If you want 45acp, Glock 41 or Glock 21

If you want 9mm Glock 34 or Glock 17
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Tough as nails, hardly has to be fixed or change springs you say?

USP9 or USP45 Tactical. As a bonus, you're okay to use .45 Super in the 45 without mods. Suppressor ready, more accurate...WAY more accurate, hardly breaks  than glocks, much better triggers.

ETA: No plastic sights, no staple gun triggers, does not need aftermarket parts. If striker, VP9. But you've got CZ, you're fine as is then, no need to change things.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For that role...

View Quote

This is the answer....
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is the answer....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For that role...

This is the answer....

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For that role...

View Quote

Right here...precisely for the role you've described.

From these, I'd go G21 Gen 4 and never look back.  Viola...SHTF / HD Hand Cannon.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#11]
If you like the PCR I would highly recommend the SP-01 or the P-09. They meet all your requirements and offer the best value for the money.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

From these, I'd go G21 Gen 4 and never look back.  Viola...SHTF / HD Hand Cannon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For that role...

As much as I'm starting to turn away from Glocks, this right here. I think I'd look for used 3rd Gen guns made before the MIM parts. However, new should work OK too if you can't find any decent used guns. Just make sure to wring it out and make sure it runs well before relying on it, same as you would for any other gun.

Glocks are reliable, durable and reasonably inexpensive. Not to mention, parts, mags, holsters and accessories are EVERYWHERE and are relatively cheap. They are dirt simple to work on if something does break and parts are backwards and forwards compatible (unless you have a 1st Gen or very early 2nd Gen 9mm, but there really aren't that many out there for sale). Get, say, a G17 (or G34) and a G19 (along with mags, ammo, holsters and a few spare parts, of course) and you should be set for everything from a minor SHTF, like a tornado, hurricane or riot with the possibility of minor looting where you might want to carry concealed, to a full blown EOTWAWKI event where concealment would be moot. You'd have full sized, open carry guns and compact, concealable guns covered. Mag, parts, ammo and holster compatibility for the win!

Bub75
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For that role...

View Quote

I like the way you think.
If you want 40S&W Glock 22 or Glock 35.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
S&W 686 4" or 6"

why?

View Quote

hard to argue with this.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#15]
If you're simply looking for a dependable tool, then the Glock is a good choice.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

hard to argue with this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
S&W 686 4" or 6"

why?

hard to argue with this.

Not exactly.  Stainless steal is corrosion resistant, not corrosion proof.  And compared to modern semi-autos, I would never pick a revolver for home defense.  Reason 1: there's no way that I can mount a light to the pistol. Reason 2: 6 round capacity isn't even close to what I would deem adequate for HD.  As far as SHTF, I don't see .38 and .357 being as easy to find as 9mm and .45.  Also, a full-size Glock or M&P weighs half as much as a 686, which will be noticeably when carrying.  The mag thing is a good point.  If hunting is a concern, get a Glock 21 or M&P45.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Glock 17.   Every time there is a gun panic, the first thing everyone does is to out and buy glocks.  Even the people that normally attempt to reason the hate them.

A revolver is a terrible idea.   Drop a revolver with an open crane once on the wrong spot and it's kaput.   You can drop glocks out of planes and they work.

But OP how many gunfights do you practically think you'll be getting into and surviving In a SHTF situation?   Get a reliable, serviceable handgun that works in numerous conditions, doesn't have a millions parts to lose, and isn't likely to rust and that is in a caliber that you can stockpile and train with now.  I've seen people buy their "SHTF handguns" based in how many calibers they can use like it's going to a video game where you run around and pick up ammo off dead guys.  Or even better the guys who rationalize berettas because they can "stay in the fight with a box of car cartridges even if they lose their magazines " by single loading directly to the breach.

The Glock is easy to master.  But not the only choice.   Make good decisions.   You'll see a Katrina at worst.  We are not going back to the caveman days, and if we are you won't survive the gunfights needed to break most modern service grade handguns.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:39:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Seems everyone is loving the Glocks. Any love for the CZ SP-01 or am I alone in being intrigued by them??
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:43:26 AM EDT
[#19]
SIG P226  9mm   or P220
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#20]
1. Glock pistols
2. S&W - M&P pistols
3. Sig pistols

The only reason the Sigs are not number one is that their price and avalibility of spare parts is high and not as plentiful as Glock and M&P's.
Other than that the Sigs are built IMHO more heavy duty.
Glocks are built so simple and wash to work on this is a big plus also for them.
So 6 one way , half dozen the other way on my top three picks.

FYI: I plan on if the SHTF making Glock my go out in the woods and mud and muck gun. And I keep plenty of spare parts for them like springs,pins,and other pieces that could break or get lost.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm a 1911 and Beretta guy, also like Sigs.  

I demand 100% reliability 100% of the time.   Non-maintenance preventable malfunctions are just not tolerated with any firearm I own.  
My carry guns are a 5" Colt LW Gov't, a 92G, and a S&W 442-2.  All are functionally stock.  

Tritium sights are redundant and not necessary with a good light.  

I would pick a Colt Rail Gun or M45 and a Surefire X300U.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:12:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Not exactly.  Stainless steal is corrosion resistant, not corrosion proof.  And compared to modern semi-autos, I would never pick a revolver for home defense.  Reason 1: there's no way that I can mount a light to the pistol. Reason 2: 6 round capacity isn't even close to what I would deem adequate for HD.  As far as SHTF, I don't see .38 and .357 being as easy to find as 9mm and .45.  Also, a full-size Glock or M&P weighs half as much as a 686, which will be noticeably when carrying.  The mag thing is a good point.  If hunting is a concern, get a Glock 21 or M&P45.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

S&W 686 4" or 6"

why?

hard to argue with this.

Yeah I've bought a pitted 686 stainless, so rust is possible, and my SR1911 tried to get light surface rust on some parts. I have to keep the 1911 oiled almost as much as a blue gun, I never carry or get it wet either. The Smith was bought that way and looks to be from storing in a holster.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#23]
S&W 5906. One of the most durable and reliable 9mm ever made.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Seems everyone is loving the Glocks. Any love for the CZ SP-01 or am I alone in being intrigued by them??
View Quote
Those are just fans that will always say Glocks. There are much better design's out there and CZ is just one of those.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Those are just fans that will always say Glocks. There are much better design's out there and CZ is just one of those.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In SHTF scenario I like to have the most common gun, around here sheriff and PD is nothing but Glock, I am not a Glock fan boy, (my G17 is my only Glock, and I want to try an M&P and FNX-45) but I will never get rid of that Glock, it's reliable and parts will be much easier to get then CZ, FN, S&W etc in a SHTF situation. If I had specific guns set aside for SHTF it would be an AR for its common-ness and probably the Glock. Your area may be different then mine. I guess it's a time when following the crowd will pay off in finding mags, parts, ammo, or even transitioning to pick-up guns easier. Glock isn't that great to me from an ergonomics perspective, it's been reliable but not the most comfortable or easy pointing for me
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
S&W 686 4" or 6"

why?

View Quote

I would recommend this but you could also go with a S&W Model 66.  Little smaller frame, same benefits as the 686 but weighs less due to the smaller frame size.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Myself I would look at what your PD/Sheriffs/ State Troopers are carrying. Typically it will be a Glock or a M&P and about 80% of the time it will be in .40. As for myself I would look into the G22. Yes I know its a .40 but the good thing now is G22 are dirt cheap, no one can argue that. I picked up one (with shipping and FFL fee) around $375. It also included night sights (still working) the modified slide release and the extended mag release. I always look at the PD trade in. Most of the time you will just see holster wear but more importantly very little use because many cops only shoot when its time to qualify. Plus (even though its not ideal) You can get the 9mm  or .357 sig barrel and cover a lot of ground. Sure the 9mm barrel seem to have a different point of aim but if its SHTF I rather have my rifle over my handgun.

If your not into Glocks ive seen (though rare) trade in M&Ps and there is the red label Sigs. Whatever you decide get something you feel comfortable and can accept a light. Not all encounters happen during the day time
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In SHTF scenario I like to have the most common gun, around here sheriff and PD is nothing but Glock, I am not a Glock fan boy, (my G17 is my only Glock, and I want to try an M&P and FNX-45) but I will never get rid of that Glock, it's reliable and parts will be much easier to get then CZ, FN, S&W etc in a SHTF situation. If I had specific guns set aside for SHTF it would be an AR for its common-ness and probably the Glock. Your area may be different then mine. I guess it's a time when following the crowd will pay off in finding mags, parts, ammo, or even transitioning to pick-up guns easier. Glock isn't that great to me from an ergonomics perspective, it's been reliable but not the most comfortable or easy pointing for me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've seen Glocks fail. I've owned a Glock that failed. My HK's have never failed. EVER. But personal experiences aside, HK isn't the only good guns out there and I will gladly admit that. But people need to understand that Glocks aren't the only ones either. No such thing as a "super glock or super HK." It come's down to user preference which can be highly subjective. For SHTF, I want a pistol that has controls right where they're supposed to be, not minimal and hard to use if SHTF has you suddenly needing to use that pistol one handed and with the weak hand and you need to get that slide lock to release with grimy, sweaty, or even bloody hands. The gun has to be comfortable, otherwise an uncomfortable gun never gets used in range sessions. No range time, no user confidence or muscle memory to develop. It has to have a good trigger and not a staple gun trigger. Group's, how does it group? The tighter the better. Has to be good without mods straight from the box and plastic sights in a SHTF scenario?? Has to be rugged and highly dependable. I cannot trust my life to something that I have no confidence in, zero.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Keep it simple.  Something that works and have spare parts and ammo for.  I'm not sure if there is a good way to determine what that would be, other than weird calibers.  But then again, if you had a big enough stash.

I just don't see the police sharing their ammo with anyone.  Nor am I completely sure if they keep huge stashes or not.  Maybe someone could speak on that.  But again, would they share?  Maybe if you were really good friends with one.

I don't really think there is a brand that fits the answer.  But having a bug is a good idea or maybe a couple of different choices in calibers.  Maybe?

It all might be a moot point if they come haul off your guns, like in katrina.  I like what Standard said in another thread, there are probably things like food and water that might be a better idea to focus on, and just HAVE a gun, that works.  I don't think it matters much about what kind it is.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I've seen Glocks fail. I've owned a Glock that failed. My HK's have never failed. EVER. But personal experiences aside, HK isn't the only good guns out there and I will gladly admit that. But people need to understand that Glocks aren't the only ones either. No such thing as a "super glock or super HK." It come's down to user preference which can be highly subjective. For SHTF, I want a pistol that has controls right where they're supposed to be, not minimal and hard to use if SHTF has you suddenly needing to use that pistol one handed and with the weak hand and you need to get that slide lock to release with grimy, sweaty, or even bloody hands. The gun has to be comfortable, otherwise an uncomfortable gun never gets used in range sessions. No range time, no user confidence or muscle memory to develop. It has to have a good trigger and not a staple gun trigger. Group's, how does it group? The tighter the better. Has to be good without mods straight from the box and plastic sights in a SHTF scenario?? Has to be rugged and highly dependable. I cannot trust my life to something that I have no confidence in, zero.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never said Glocks never fail, I even said I don't really care for the ergos of the grip angle, all I said is they are the most common and parts, mags etc will be easier to get, if I could afford HK I'd probably have some too. My glock has jammed once in years of shooting it, racked it and kept going, just needed cleaning. I can't compare to much though, I'm just starting my pistol collection, but I've shot friends pistols
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have seen a handful of high round count firearms between myself and my friends, a few with over 50k down the pipe.

Glock and M&P are the ones I've seen do it, HK is about the only other out there that while I haven't personally seen do that, have no doubt that they would.

View Quote

i only carry glocks but i would trust my life to both of these guns.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
S&W 5906. One of the most durable and reliable 9mm ever made.

View Quote

Yep. Won't part with mine. Mine has never choked and it will even feed empty cases.

Plus, with its all steel construction, you can use it as a club or an entry tool.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I have owned most brands, and there are two that I keep coming back to:  CZ/Dan Wesson and. HK.  

I have 2 SP01s in 9mm, one for my daughter and one for me. I have a DW Valor that has been perfect since day 1.  I am days away from picking up my HK VP9.  I have had multiple HKs, and they never failed.   I am confident the VP9 will be the same way.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#34]
OP, the previous posts should indicate that there is no such thing as a perfect pistol. So many factors go into making what is ultimately a personal decision.

For example, while HK's have a well deserved reputation for toughness and reliability, in a SHTF situation, I'd grab my S&W 5906 before my HK USP. This is because my 5906 has never choked, but my HK has.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
S&W 686 4" or 6"

why?

View Quote

I concur.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
OP, the previous posts should indicate that there is no such thing as a perfect pistol. So many factors go into making what is ultimately a personal decision.

For example, while HK's have a well deserved reputation for toughness and reliability, in a SHTF situation, I'd grab my S&W 5906 before my HK USP. This is because my 5906 has never choked, but my HK has.
View Quote

Yup. Two guns (at least) is the right answer anyway at this stage.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Generally, yes.

But not for the requirements you presented.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I would choose a Glock as well. Not only because of the fact that they are generally very reliable, but because they are one of, if not the simplest pistols to replace parts on. I like and own different makes/models of pistols, but the ease of parts replacement on a Glock is pretty much undeniable.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#39]
There's a lot of good choices for a full-size service pistol.

Sig Classic Series
Beretta 92 series
Glock
S&W M&P series
HK

Those are probably the top choices for full size service pistols available.

1911s are nice, but information abounds as to why they're poor choice for a general purpose SHTF/dervice pistol.

I'm really becoming a fan of the M9/92 the more I use them. They're accurate, absurdly reliable, and magazines are cheap and abundant. I believe most people who have issues with the safety/decocker don't have more than a small amount of experience with them. I've been shooting Army Combat Competitions with M9s and they're very easy to adapt to. Thumb pushes forward past the safety into position along the slide on the draw. The thumb hooks the safety/decock during reholstering. Very simple to do and doesn't require using the other hand like many seem to believe.

Sig's have a very easy to use decocker and are very accurate. Bombproof as well. NSW has a love affair with their MK25s and that just underscores that they're "tough as nails, never fails".

Glocks are a standard and are basically the AR of handguns. No handgun has more aftermarket support or holster options.  

M&Ps are second to Glock in popularity but they have much better ergonomics. There's quite a bit of aftermarket support and holster options. They're also very popular and are the accepted alternative to Glock for well known trainers.

HKs are some of the most durable reliable pistols available. I can't cite any issues of them I know of, and all of the above have had widespread citeable issues at some point in their manufacture (excepting the Beretta where the issues are limited to very early no longer produced versions). The biggest problem people have with HKs are the price (metal prices for poly handguns) and the triggers. The VP9 seems to have addressed both of these but it's too new to say with confidence that it's a reliable tough as nails handgun.

In the end, there are lots of good choices out there. Handguns are far more personal a choice than rifles. Try a bunch of see what works, but be open minded about the pros and cons of everythign and don't become emotional about your choice.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Sig Classic Series
Beretta 92 series
Glock
S&W M&P series
HK

1911s are nice, but information abounds as to why they're poor choice for a general purpose SHTF/dervice pistol.

I'm really becoming a fan of the M9/92 the more I use them. They're accurate, absurdly reliable, and magazines are cheap and abundant. I believe most people who have issues with the safety/decocker don't have more than a small amount of experience with them. I've been shooting Army Combat Competitions with M9s and they're very easy to adapt to. Thumb pushes forward past the safety into position along the slide on the draw. The thumb hooks the safety/decock during reholstering. Very simple to do and doesn't require using the other hand like many seem to believe.

Sig's have a very easy to use decocker and are very accurate. Bombproof as well. NSW has a love affair with their MK25s and that just underscores that they're "tough as nails, never fails".

Glocks are a standard and are basically the AR AK of handguns. No handgun has more aftermarket support or holster options.  

M&Ps are second to Glock in popularity but they have much better ergonomics. There's quite a bit of aftermarket support and holster options. They're also very popular and are the accepted alternative to Glock for well known trainers.

HKs are some of the most durable reliable pistols available. I can't cite any issues of them I know of, and all of the above have had widespread citeable issues at some point in their manufacture (excepting the Beretta where the issues are limited to very early no longer produced versions). The biggest problem people have with HKs are the price (metal prices for poly handguns) and the triggers. The VP9 seems to have addressed both of these but it's too new to say with confidence that it's a reliable tough as nails handgun.

In the end, there are lots of good choices out there. Handguns are far more personal a choice than rifles. Try a bunch of see what works, but be open minded about the pros and cons of everythign and don't become emotional about your choice.
View Quote

Excellent information here.

Fixed it for you...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#41]
1-Glock
2-M&P

An interesting podcast from Michael Bane, talks a bit about having fallback firearms that pertains to this topic, starts at 26:00.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sig Classic Series
Beretta 92 series
Glock
S&W M&P series
HK

Glocks are a standard and are basically the AR AK of handguns. No handgun has more aftermarket support or holster options.  

Fixed it for you...

The AR (like the Glock) can built into any endless number of configurations or designed for any purpose needed. The AK, no matter what one does to it, is always essentially the same exact gun for the same purpose with different parts.

Unless you mean the Glock is like the AK in that fanboys hold onto the myth that their gun is magically reliable and never have any failures ever.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The AR (like the Glock) can built into any endless number of configurations or designed for any purpose needed. The AK, no matter what one does to it, is always essentially the same exact gun for the same purpose with different parts.

Unless you mean the Glock is like the AK in that fanboys hold onto the myth that their gun is magically reliable and never have any failures ever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sig Classic Series
Beretta 92 series
Glock
S&W M&P series
HK

Fixed it for you...

I laugh at the intellectual dishonesty those fanboys have. I also get a big kick out of those being super serious about claiming they don't buy any gun that has a manual safety, then a few days later they post a pic of an AK or an AR15.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#44]
A vote for HK, especially the USP. Predictable of me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm just going to grab one of my 1911 or 2011's.  They'll go through more ammo with wipe downs and some oil than I would ever need.  Could you imagine carrying 50k rounds around with you?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I laugh at the intellectual dishonesty those fanboys have. I also get a big kick out of those being super serious about claiming they don't buy any gun that has a manual safety, then a few days later they post a pic of an AK or an AR15.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sig Classic Series
Beretta 92 series
Glock
S&W M&P series
HK

Fixed it for you...

You still have internet access sport?  

I guess I'm impressed.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#47]
The one thing I will say is unless you have spare parts for your gun, in a shtf situation they pretty much won't exist. Seems like most have the theory they will be pulling guns out of dead peoples hands and using them for parts.

For my berettas I have a few replacement springs and a spare locking block already. So I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip

Fixed it for you...

I much prefer and recommend safty-less handguns. The difference is that long guns are carried in the open whereas handguns are kept in holsters (a form of external safety). Rifles and pistols aren't utilized or carried in the same manner and as such are not comparable in the use of the safety.

That said, I have no problems using a gun with a safety, I just don't prefer them. But I also don't have a problem with the beretta safety an can shoot a DA/SA pistol with little problem, so I'm in the minority here from what I've observed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The one thing I will say is unless you have spare parts for your gun, in a shtf situation they pretty much won't exist. Seems like most have the theory they will be pulling guns out of dead peoples hands and using them for parts.

For my berettas I have a few replacement springs and a spare locking block already. So I'm good to go.
View Quote

I'm with you there on the spare parts. After looking at CZ Custom's website last night I actually stumbled upon spare parts kits for the SP-01 which look pretty comprehensive. Even though the Glock 17 is what most seem to be pushing, it's difficult for me not to lean towards the SP-01 with it being CZ's latest and greatest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Glock hater and they certainly have a good track record, but CZ's goes back wayyyy farther with their own reputation being just as good if not better.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is good advice OP as all are solid. I hate Glock in .40 though but love it in the M&P. All other calibers are GTG in any of the recommended. But your already very comfortable carrying your CZ, which are just as proven as the aforementioned. That's absolutely what I would go with just for the "redundancy factor." The same manual of arms is a quality all its own. I carry an M&P40c daily, so naturally I use an M&P40 (mid-size) with a TLR-1 for the nightstand and I run both without safeties for continuity.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top