Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2014 12:18:17 PM EDT
So I shipped a handgun my first time to a buyer in North Dakota. It's coming from North Carolina.

UPS charged $92, because they mandated it must be Next Day Air because policy makes them do that for handguns.

Did I get fucked? Or is this normal?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds right, bastards screw you and don't even give a reach around!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I shipped a handgun my first time to a buyer in North Dakota. It's coming from North Carolina.

UPS charged $92, because they mandated it must be Next Day Air because policy makes them do that for handguns.

Did I get fucked? Or is this normal?
View Quote

I hope the "buyer in North Dakota" is an FFL.
You cannot ship ANY gun person to person across state lines.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#3]
It may have been cheaper to go through an FFL because an FFL can ship priority mail. They may charge you a transfer fee they may
not. Just depends on the FFL.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#4]
You got screwed. Always ship through an FFL. My FFL charges me $25. They even package everything
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#5]
You can ship second day air via common carrier for much less than overnight and it still meets the requirements for shipping a handgun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can ship second day air via common carrier for much less than overnight and it still meets the requirements for shipping a handgun.
View Quote

Their rules, their game.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I also ship through FFL for the reason stated above.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, you can't (unless FFL sends it Priority Mail). UPS and FedEx both state that handguns need to be shipped Priority Overnight. You can risk it if you want, but if anything were to happen you'd be shit out of luck.

I work at an authorized shipping outlet for both and deal with both on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Just wondering... Did you get a kiss after you got screwed?  If you read the rules for shipping Handguns it states that it MUST be 2 Day shipping or quicker. I have found that using the post office is USUALLY (not always) cheaper for that service.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:17:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No, you can't (unless FFL sends it Priority Mail). UPS and FedEx both state that handguns need to be shipped Priority Overnight. You can risk it if you want, but if anything were to happen you'd be shit out of luck.

I work at an authorized shipping outlet for both and deal with both on a daily basis.
View Quote

USP and FedEx overnight rules only apply to peons.  They have never even tried to enforce this "rule" against their corporate account holders.

Still cheaper to pay an FFL 10 or 20 bucks to ship it USPS flat rate though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top