Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2014 12:07:21 PM EDT
I just put some Ameriglo Defoor sights on my G41 to replace the stock plastic sights. I think I actually like them better than my Trijicon and Meprolights on other pistols. Anyone like this setup? I found my eye seemed to more naturally focus on that plain black front sight. No dots, no distractions. .115" front, .150" rear notch, so the front sight is slightly thinner than the standard tritium sight.

I was only paper punching since I was making sure the windage was adjusted correctly, I did not do any speed drills or anything.

My tritium sights are all about 16 years old and getting dim. I am thinking about putting the Defoor on those guns as well.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#1]
For what it's worth, when I was at Front Sight years ago, they recommended blacking out the white outline and white dot on the stock Glock sights.  If you have Trijicon or others, there is usually a white circle or outline.  Be careful not to ink out the glass capsule. I think the goal was to have you focus on  lining up the tops of the sights, not trying to line up the circles or center a circle in a box.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#2]
To each their own but personally hate blacked out sights. I need at least a dot on the front sight.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I know guys who love them. Kyle is one of them. I have his sights on a glock, but really I like the 10-8 sights better to be honest

I like to have something to help draw my eye to the front sight. Usually a night sight, but have used gold/brass bead sights before as well. I cant stand fiber optics though

I prefer a black rear though.

My current set up on my 1911 is a 10-8 rear and a trijjicon front. Its fast and accurate

I still aim with the tips of the sights for really accurate shots though
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I like sights to be all black and the POI to be at the top of the front post.  Most pistols aren't set up this way from the factory though.  Which is annoying to me.  But I have never been in combat, never fired a shot in anger and only killed deer and varmints with a rifle.  I would think low light situations could make black sights a little less useable though.  I have my own technique for home defense in low light, but not sure it's really the optimum.  (Weak hand with light close to shoulder and shining down the pistol so I can see my sights).  Although my main home defense weapon is my Beretta M9 and it has a white dot on front and that weird 1 dot in the middle on the back.  But yeah, my main goal is to line up the top of the sights.  That's just what is natural to me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like sights to be all black and the POI to be at the top of the front post.  Most pistols aren't set up this way from the factory though.  Which is annoying to me.  But I have never been in combat, never fired a shot in anger and only killed deer and varmints with a rifle.  I would think low light situations could make black sights a little less useable though.  I have my own technique for home defense in low light, but not sure it's really the optimum.  (Weak hand with light close to shoulder and shining down the pistol so I can see my sights).  Although my main home defense weapon is my Beretta M9 and it has a white dot on front and that weird 1 dot in the middle on the back.  But yeah, my main goal is to line up the top of the sights.  That's just what is natural to me.
View Quote

Can we get pics of your pistol with these sights on it?

eta: not sure why I quoted myself.  Oh well.  Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Solid black rear + high visibility front for me.  Trijicon HDs for night sights, Warren Tactical fiber optics for everything else.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I love blackout sights for target guns.  I prefer 3 dots (night sights preferred) for pistols that I own for defensive use.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I like a black rear and colored front. Have Hackthorns on my 19

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure....  My Iphone photo doesn't show it, but it has a serrated front sight. No serrations on the rear.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#10]
if I were to recommend a "combat" pistol it would look similar to my game pistol... fixed rear, with black front blade.... at least .220" tall (mine is .240") and pretty thin at .090".... a lot of shooters lose elevation when shooting precision shots at distance, as they do not typically sight in the fiber optic dot, but rather the top of the front post.... and in bright sunlight do not see the actual top of the sight post

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:02:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Not me. My perfect sights are i dot pros. Super wide rear u notch, high contrast large front sight (with the color very close to the top of the front sight) and figure 8 night sight configuration.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:15:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an old set of MMC sights. White outline rear and white striped front sight.  The combo works good for me.  I bought a CDI Hi Power and the black sights are driving me nuts.  My target auto has black sights but it's sighted in for a six o'clock hold at 50 feet on bulls eye targets.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:35:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sure....  My Iphone photo doesn't show it, but it has a serrated front sight. No serrations on the rear.

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee352/beanhead1130/fb588b02-443c-439a-98ab-7c92b33e1a3c_zps0c48034a.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee352/beanhead1130/fb588b02-443c-439a-98ab-7c92b33e1a3c_zps0c48034a.jpg

Ooooh  Aaaaaah  I like it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:14:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:38:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I had a Sig P226 with black sights and hated them, on a "combat" pistol, sight acquisition is king IMO.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had a Sig P226 with black sights and hated them, on a "combat" pistol, sight acquisition is king IMO.
View Quote

I agree.  I paint all my front posts bright orange (and keep the white circle/night sight vial).  When I'm bringing the gun up on target I want the front sight to "jump out" at me.
I even paint the top surface so as you are bringing the gun up your eye is just drawn to the front sight.

Blacked out may be OK for target shooting, but I notice at my indoor range the black sights are hard to see, particularly against a black bullseye.  I don't really like blacked out for anything (but use it on my target .22 pistol).

To each his own, but I can't imagine blacked out sights on a "combat" or self defense gun......
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#17]
IMO all black sights are for target shooting; defensive shooting requires fast acquisition under as many lighting conditions as possible.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll try this set up for a while and decide if I want to change out my other tritium sights. My trijicons have very little glow left to them, they are almost flat black sights anyway the way they are now. I might just change out the rear since the front still has a bit of visible glow at night.

I can always paint the front sight of the Defoors if I decide I need it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#19]
They are more precise in the perfect environment.

I struggle to pick them up most of the time, and prefer a dot or FO.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
IMO all black sights are for target shooting; defensive shooting requires fast acquisition under as many lighting conditions as possible.
View Quote

This--I can't imagine using black sights on my hunting handguns--too much shooting in dim, shaded areas at dark fur.

My fiancee likes a white/tritium front sight and black rear sight. She has eye focus issues and cannot aim with three dots.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I know guys who love them. Kyle is one of them. I have his sights on a glock, but really I like the 10-8 sights better to be honest

I like to have something to help draw my eye to the front sight. Usually a night sight, but have used gold/brass bead sights before as well. I cant stand fiber optics though

My current set up on my 1911 is a 10-8 rear and a trijjicon front. Its fast and accurate

View Quote

I have used the defoor sights and they work nicely on a sunny range.

My G19 is setup with a defoor rear and ameriglo pro glo thin .125 ns up front.

I ordered a 10-8 rear to use with my ns on my TRP, should be here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm most accurate with the Defoors, but I'm worried that they might be slower...in that there might be a reason most of the game people are using fiber optics.  That said Kyke insists that at Blackwater, they discovered all black was better or just as fast in MOST situations and the colored sights only won in a darkened environment, but not pitch dark--where a light is used.  Something like two-hours a day, at dusk and dawn..

I REALLY like two dots, but not a super light colored front--especially light yellow or green (washes out too easily).  My dream sights are two-small-dots, very LOW, with a .150 u-notch rear, and a .115 front.  Sadly they don't exist.

I would get the new Vickers/Wilson Combat in two dot, but I shoot better with short sights for some reason--have no idea why....also, a thin front seems to help a lot...and those are .145 rear/.125 front.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I run the Defoor sights on my G19. All black doesn't bother me in lowlight. Reason being is I usually have a torch on me.

The torch DOES NOT backlight the rears. It screws up the sight picture way too much to track the sights.

The torch lights up the target, there is more than enough ambient lighting to see the sights.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Youll like it. Which size did you go with?

The smaller will bring the TRP to POA/POI instead of that silly 6oclock hold
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
if I were to recommend a "combat" pistol it would look similar to my game pistol... fixed rear, with black front blade.... at least .220" tall (mine is .240") and pretty thin at .090".... a lot of shooters lose elevation when shooting precision shots at distance, as they do not typically sight in the fiber optic dot, but rather the top of the front post.... and in bright sunlight do not see the actual top of the sight post

<a href="http://s825.photobucket.com/user/LesSnyder/media/DSC00256.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz180/LesSnyder/DSC00256.jpg</a>
View Quote

I don't have a "combat" pistol, but I really like the Heinie Straight Eight sights almost exactly like the sights lasnyder has on his Glock.

The difference is the straight eights on mine are night sights they have a tritium vial in the front sight and the rear.

They are nice for finding the pistol in the dark (that feature alone helped immensely a few months ago) and are great for shooting at night, as you can pick up the sight picture VERY quickly. I prefer it to the standard 3 dot night sights.

This is the sight picture.

I use my sights during the day, and when the streamlight is on, just like any other set of black sights, so they are sighted in accordingly.

Note: the above picture is not mine. Just a google searched image, from somebody on glocktalk I believe.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I can't stand an all black front sight, most likely from shooting thousands and thousands of rounds through several Sigs with a white outlined front sight.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Solid black rear + high visibility front for me.  Trijicon HDs for night sights, Warren Tactical fiber optics for everything else.
View Quote

Bingo!

My edc has a fiber front and black rear and can line it up quickly. On night sites they can get "busy" with the green dot and white outline sometimes
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Why would anyone want plain black sights for ANY shooting situation?  Especially for a self defense pistol.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why would anyone want plain black sights for ANY shooting situation?  Especially for a self defense pistol.
View Quote

Because they're superior.  

I did most of my low/no light training with a set of DeFoors and an a couple of Surefires and never had a problem.  Never felt like tritium was of any benefit when I ran a P226&229 throigh the same stuff.  

Most game guys use fiber optic because they're old guys.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#30]

OP, my carry Glock 23 has a plain black 10-8 rear with .156" notch, and a Dawson .115" plain black front.

Perfect IMO.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

What color are the iron sights on your AR?  Mine are all black.  Seems like there's a point in there somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:00:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

OP, my carry Glock 23 has a plain black 10-8 rear with .156" notch, and a Dawson .115" plain black front.

Perfect IMO.

View Quote

Would you mind taking a picture of that?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:16:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What color are the iron sights on your AR?  Mine are all black.  Seems like there's a point in there somewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have many shoulder fired handguns with peep sights that have the rear sight sit only a few inches from my dominant eye with a 16"-20" sight radius.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#34]

I don't have many shoulder fired handguns with peep sights that have the rear sight sit only a few inches from my dominant eye with a 16"-20" sight radius

Either way, the sight picture is lining up 3 things.  Target, front sight, and rear.  There are people that either paint their front sight posts on an AR.  Or they have those tritium ones too.  And in some situations would probably be a good thing.  But for me, a black sighting system is great in most situations until it's too dark.  Then a light that lights up the target still creates the outline of the sights.  

My point was that he said why would you want black in ANY situation and in the daytime, I don't think there is a better way to go.  White dots just give you one more thing to look at, when you're already looking at 3 things.  For me it just muddies the waters and I figure simple is better.  At least for my eyes and brain it is.  But I'm probably a little slow.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are FO AR sights, too.

But that said, the sight on my "main" AR is a red dot...just like the front sight on my "main" self defense pistols.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I would imagine you read my post above.  I already talked about similar things.  

I admit I don't do a lot of shooting at night, so......  I've done a few "house clearing" drills at night.  But that's about the extensiveness of my experience on the subject.  So.....  All I know is that a black post works well in the daytime.  Which was in answer to someone's question about why one would want them at ANY time.  It may have been a rhetorical question, but I disagree with the premise.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perfect IMO.

Here you go:

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:09:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I did most of my low/no light training with a set of DeFoors and an a couple of Surefires and never had a problem.  Never felt like tritium was of any benefit when I ran a P226&229 throigh the same stuff.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why superior?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Because they are easier to be precise with.  

Unlike most of the real operators, I don't always use my sights.  

I only use 'em when I have enough time.

I know how long it takes to aquire a sight picture and I make decisions based on time available, hit probability, and accountability.  The Package.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#40]
No, I prefer the Meprolight Tru-dot. Tritium dots with a thin white circle around them. Great for all conditions, when I have time to use them obviously. If the threat is that close, you're correct that sights can quickly become irrelevant.

I don't always aim with sights, but when I do, I prefer Meprolight.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I prefer a black rear. I run the hackathorn's
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perfect IMO.

Here you go:

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/jbeckera22830/media/DSC00561_zps1c88c242.jpg.html

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Because they are easier to be precise with.  

Unlike most of the real operators, I don't always use my sights.  

I only use 'em when I have enough time.

I know how long it takes to aquire a sight picture and I make decisions based on time available, hit probability, and accountability.  The Package.
View Quote

You shoot a bit different than me, but I've read enough of your posts to assume you know what you're doing.

At closer distances, I just put the front dot on the target, and press the trigger. Point shooting, but with higher probability of hits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top