Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2014 10:22:17 AM EDT
Reason I'm asking is that I have a Sig P290 that I carry most of the time, but I recently sold a G26 and I'm looking to replace it with something.  The first thing that came to mind was the M&P9 Shield, but then I got to thinking: How much different are the two guns?  Both can carry 8 rounds, both are single stack, both are very slim, both come without safeties, both have similar triggers.  So, is there a reason that I should buy a Shield in addition to the P290?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Is there any reason you shouldn't buy it?

The Shield is a nice gun. Options are always good to have. You may also look into the Walther PPS if you're thinking smaller single stack 9. Very well made, 3 magazine sizes
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Avoid the P290, lots of problems, especially light strikes. The P290RS has a heavyish DAO trigger vs the Shield's striker-fired trigger and while more reliable than the P290, I experienced light strikes w/both my P290RS' using PMC & Geico 115gr FMJ practice ammo (hard primers?), although to be fair there were no light strikes using quality ammo. Galloway Precision offers a spring kit that's supposed to really help w/the P290RS' trigger.
Haven't fired a Shield but I owned a couple of M&P9 compacts that I really liked, especially after installing APEX trigger parts.
HTH...
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Avoid the P290, lots of problems, especially light strikes. The P290RS has a heavyish DAO trigger vs the Shield's striker-fired trigger and while more reliable than the P290, I experienced light strikes w/both my P290RS' using PMC & Geico 115gr FMJ practice ammo (hard primers?), although to be fair there were no light strikes using quality ammo. Galloway Precision offers a spring kit that's supposed to really help w/the P290RS' trigger.
Haven't fired a Shield but I owned a couple of M&P9 compacts that I really liked, especially after installing APEX trigger parts.
HTH...
Tomac
View Quote

I have the P290RS and I've had it for almost 3 years now with no problems.  I love that pistol and I think it is great for pocket carry and IWB.  I won't be getting rid of it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The Shield is a phenomenal EDC, you would not be disappointed

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I went to the LGS and trade a Marlin 336 that I've been trying to sell for a while and picked up a Shield.  Now, I need to get an Alien Gear holster for it and another mag.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well, I went to the LGS and trade a Marlin 336 that I've been trying to sell for a while and picked up a Shield.  Now, I need to get an Alien Gear holster for it and another mag.
View Quote

I hope your a patient man, I have been waiting for 6 weeks for my 2.0

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Pics of great gun you foolishly traded for tupperware?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dont have pictures, but it wasn't perfect.  It was probably 80-85%.  There was some finish wear, some scratches, and some touchup on the stock.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Dont have pictures, but it wasn't perfect.  It was probably 80-85%.  There was some finish wear, some scratches, and some touchup on the stock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a $325-350 gun to me. Probably a good trade if that's what you wanted. I hear nothing but good about the Shield and that's probably why there's such demand.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sounds like a $325-350 gun to me. Probably a good trade if that's what you wanted. I hear nothing but good about the Shield and that's probably why there's such demand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what I was thinking for the value of the Marlin.  I just got tired of holding it for 4 or 6 weeks trying to sell it.  I probably overpaid on the Shield ($400), but I couldn't find anyone that has the non-safety model in stock for cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I went to the LGS with my wife yesterday to buy a Shield.  She ended up buying a Ruger LC9S instead.  I had shot the regular LC9 previously and hated it because of the awful trigger.  My wife shot both guns back to back at the range and she decided that she liked the Ruger better, it had a better trigger than the Shield and was lighter.  They are both roughly the same size.  I'm not saying the Ruger is a better gun, but it might be worth a look if you can find one.  Both guns were the same price ($369)
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I like my Shield. The only thing I would like to change about it would be that it had a standard M&P thumb safety, instead of the tiny little safety they put on it. I like the larger safety for a finger rest, like on a 1911.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like my Shield. The only thing I would like to change about it would be that it had a standard M&P thumb safety, instead of the tiny little safety they put on it. I like the larger safety for a finger rest, like on a 1911.
View Quote

I agree with the safety, but what can you do?  Nobody makes one yet.

For a single stack nine, it's really a well made gun with a pretty good trigger.  They seem to be holding up rather well too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:06:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I like the small one, I've found that the M&P thumb safety is hampering how I grip the pistol even with the full size or compact models no matter how much I tweak my thumbs forward. Strange, but I have no issue with the 1911 or USP thumb safeties.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Shield sans safety ftw.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top