Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2014 2:37:37 PM EDT
Posted this in the S&W forum, but figured it would get more traffic here.

Does it effect function at all, or does it just leave a small gap where it used to sit?

Would I be at any risk for a malfunction of some sort from if I chose to carry one with the safety removed?

ETA: I have a 9C I want to trade locally and the only Shields I can find have safeties.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:12:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure about the shield, but you can easily remove the safety on the standard M&P's. There will be a gap where the safety was but I've heard if you contact S&W they will send you some plugs for free. As for safety, removing the manual safety on a regular M&P will make it the same as one that came without the safety. The only thing the manual safety does is stop the trigger from being pulled so as long as you keep your finger/objects away from the trigger you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Why do you want to remove the safety? I talked with a S&W rep at the NRA meetings, and asked if there was an issue with just not using the thumb safety. He said it was perfectly OK to carry with a round chambered and safety off, and that's how he carried his. This was before S&W came out with the no-safety version.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why do you want to remove the safety? I talked with a S&W rep at the NRA meetings, and asked if there was an issue with just not using the thumb safety. He said it was perfectly OK to carry with a round chambered and safety off, and that's how he carried his. This was before S&W came out with the no-safety version.
View Quote

The problem is that it IS possible, however unlikely, that the safety will be pushed to on while carrying it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The problem is that it IS possible, however unlikely, that the safety will be pushed to on while carrying it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Almost anything is "possible", but the likelihood is practically nill.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't say it's likely, but it's certainly more a possibility than "practically nill." If the thumb safety is easy enough to manipulate intentionally, then it's easy enough to at some point manipulate unintentionally. It's one reason I don't carry my Shield.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is the likelihood of using your CCW to defend yourself. Would be awful if those two instances collided.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I wouldn't say it's likely, but it's certainly more a possibility than "practically nill." If the thumb safety is easy enough to manipulate intentionally, then it's easy enough to at some point manipulate unintentionally. It's one reason I don't carry my Shield.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, let me put it this way. In 40 years of carrying various semi-auto handguns with external safeties (Colt, Browning, S&W, Beretta, Star, Astra, etc.), I've never had a safety walk off. That's what I'm basing my  "practically nil" comment on.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Does it effect function at all, or does it just leave a small gap where it used to sit?

Would I be at any risk for a malfunction of some sort from if I chose to carry one with the safety removed?

ETA: I have a 9C I want to trade locally and the only Shields I can find have safeties.
View Quote

If you can't find one locally, buy a Shield without a safety online and have it transferred to a FFL of your choice.

NMS means "No manual safety" : http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/93435/S%26W+M%26P9SHIELD+10035+9M+3.1+78R+NMS
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:52:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I heard it was best to leave it in place, that it keeps other parts where they should be.  So you can pull it out and grind off the safety lever part that is for your thumb, then replace it.  The gap won't be any big deal, and if you want to sell it, you can buy another safety and stick in on.  Youtube it.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:59:55 PM EDT
[#10]
They make safetyless shields now just fyi
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i wouldnt say the safety is easy to manipulate intentionally.

a 1911 safety is easy to manipulate intentionally.

if that is why you disregard the shield, i dont know how you can find any gun that you are ok with carrying
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top