Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2014 6:12:07 PM EDT
This is the barrel from my brand new M&P 9mm.  There is some rough raised metal ares, almost looks like welding slag, maybe it's from the wire EDM process, not sure.  I'm a bit concerned since I think this part of the barrel does lightly rub the inside of the slide during firing.  Not sure if it will result in some unusual wear.  Thoughts?

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Looking at my 3 M&Ps (45c, 9mm, and shield) none of them look like that.   That looks like it could be something with the finish, buildup or messed up batch in the process.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Strange burrs, I didn't know that S&W used that kind of non-traditional machining for the barrel.  I don't know a whole lot about the wire EDM process, but does it even leave slag behind?  It seems like the wire would make a clean cut, and thats it.  I can't imagine why there would be welding slag on it, I don't think there's any welding involved in that part.  I would worry about those possibly being knocked off during operation, and you'd be exposing bare metal sans any kind of treatment.  I hope S&W can give you some answers, but that's not the kind of thing I would expect to see on a barrel. Does it bind up in the slide at all due to the burrs?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't seem to bind.  I'm sure the gun would probably function, but I don't think it is normal.  I sent some pics to S&W.  I'm going to hold off on shooting it until I hear from them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doesn't seem to bind.  I'm sure the gun would probably function, but I don't think it is normal.  I sent some pics to S&W.  I'm going to hold off on shooting it until I hear from them.
View Quote

It's not going to bind.

M&P's are as loose as a Goose's dinner in barrel hood lockup and contact.

But it may accumulate powder residue around those areas and lead to fouling faster.

Call S&W.  They will pay for you to send it in.  Most likely they will just grind, buff, polish them out or give you a new barrel.  Possible they will tell you it's fine too.

I personally don't hyperventilate over cosmetic flaws on "working" guns like M&P's, but that would be an area that would concern me regarding fouling and other possible flaws.  I would personally be contacting S&W if it were my gun.

The real question is, how does the inside of the barrel look?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:12:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I've owned 7 M&Ps and none of them look like that. I'd want a new barrel and would explain that to the CS on the phone.

I sent a FS9 in for accuracy issues and all they did was adjust the rear sight to shoot too far to the left. Second time I sent it in I told the rep that a new barrel was needed and he put it in the notes to do just that. It came back and the groups went from 10 inches at 15 yards to 4 inches at 15 yards. All of my M&Ps were 9mm except for the two FS45s I own now that are tack drivers. I just wanted to give a little back story, but calling them and explaining that you don't want it to be sent back with a "It's fine" nonsense is the best way to ensure you get what you want. I'd even put a note in the box that a replacement barrel is needed since that type of quality is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Have you shot it yet.
If not when you do come back and let us / me know what size 10rd groups you get at 25Y.
I would like to buy one myself but waiting to see if S&W really fixed the accuracy issue.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Have you tried gently scraping it off?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#8]
S&W wants me to send them the gun.  I emailed them back and asked them if they could just send me a barrel.  This gun is a replacement for my last M&P, also defective out of the box.  I waited 2 months for this new pistol to arrive, now they want me to send it right back.    Will report back when I get their reply.  The chips seem like they are on there pretty good.  I don't think they will scrape off.  If they did I imagine it would be bare metal underneath.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
S&W wants me to send them the gun.  I emailed them back and asked them if they could just send me a barrel.  This gun is a replacement for my last M&P, also defective out of the box.  I waited 2 months for this new pistol to arrive, now they want me to send it right back.    Will report back when I get their reply.  The chips seem like they are on there pretty good.  I don't think they will scrape off.  If they did I imagine it would be bare metal underneath.
View Quote

Did you reiterate that point that you are already inconvenienced for the first gun?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Send a detailed letter by mail  to James Debney, president of S&W firearms.

I'm not home now but contact information is on their website.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I did bring that up and they still want me to send them the entire gun.  Told me to expect a 2-3 week turnaround.  I'll be calling them today to see if I can get just a barrel.

Quoted:

Did you reiterate that point that you are already inconvenienced for the first gun?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I can tell you what they look like.  That's what it looks like if you have rust on a steel part and then it goes into salt bath nitride.  The rust spots end up as that little bubble of crusty stuff.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Glad somebody besides me has had trouble with them out of the box.  Mine wouldn't fire more than two rounds with out jamming.  Inside of the chamber was scratching the brass all to hell.  

Sent it to them and they had it two weeks and polished the feed ramp and put in a new extractor.  Haven't had time to shoot it yet.    But it stays in the safe until I do.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I did bring that up and they still want me to send them the entire gun.  Told me to expect a 2-3 week turnaround.  I'll be calling them today to see if I can get just a barrel.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

They should be embarrassed for this whole ordeal with your M&Ps.  I hope they throw in some free magazines or night sights or something.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Yikes, no that is not normal. I do wonder if that is rust that was there before the barrel coating was put on. If it was just slag or something, I'd buff it off and see what the finish looked like and then just shoot it. Either way, rather unacceptable for a new gun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#16]
S&W confirmed that they need the entire pistol sent to them, said they no longer send out barrels or slides.  Rep said it was machining residue (metal) that was not cleaned off prior to being Melonited, and that they see this from time to time.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quick update, It's been 3 weeks and still no gun.  I sent S&W an email to see if they can give me an update.  Doesn't seem like a simple barrel swap should take this long.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quick update, It's been 3 weeks and still no gun.  I sent S&W an email to see if they can give me an update.  Doesn't seem like a simple barrel swap should take this long.
View Quote

Dude at the gun club back in MA had SEROIUS issues with a S&W wheel gun (like sprung frame or some weird shit). Sent gun back three times. After a couple weeks; finally got a call from the Custom Shop. They wanted to know if he wanted anything special. He asked for a trigger job... The reply was; "this is the custom shop, I'm building this thing, It will have a nice trigger" (and night sights). Custom shop guy was trying to get some engraving ordered.  They built his from bar stock and plates, didn't have a problem after that, it came out perfect.

Hope your goes that well.

but that was back in the 80's.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Got my pistol back today, took exactly one month.  They replaced the barrel.  Nothing more, nothing less.  New barrel looks good from what I can tell.  Hopefully I'll get to shoot it in the next couple weeks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top