Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2014 6:00:11 PM EDT
I'm ready for more.  We live on 34 acres, and I can shoot when I want.  I fire a few hundred rounds per month (various pistols, mainly Glocks and 1911s), and have a steel silhouette.  As my dad would have said, I've gotten "pretty salty" over the last few years.  However, I have no real training, and I'm concerned about what I don't know and what I think I know...but I don't.  I need some training.  

I'm thinking about going to Gunsite for the 250 / beginners course.  Thoughts?  Anyone here been?  

I do not want to be with a bunch of folks who are clueless, but I do not want to assume too much about my skill level.  

It will run upwards of 3k for the whole trip...is it worth it?  Is this the right session for me?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#1]
3K... ouch.  I think I'd look around for something closer to get your feet wet first.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I did the 350 pistol course about 9-10 years ago.

Won an award at work that came with two free plane tickets and a check for $1,000

Used it to go out to,Gunsite in AZ ( they offer offsite training as well)

Money well spent.... It was outstanding.

Went back a year later for Advanced Carbine.

If it's affordable on your budget I'd highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The 250 just because it's the a basic handgun class isn't a bunch of clueless people.  Everyone has one thing in common, a desire to learn more and become more profficient.  The tools the instructors present you with accomplish that.

I'll never forget the first day when initial paperwork was being filled out, one of the instructors said "you all have one thing in common, you're here because you realize there are people out there who mean to do you harm".  Good thought to start five days of training with.

It's a good class not only for pistol methods, but also the mindset which you walk away with.

I'm very happy I did the 250 which led to the 350 and a few others.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#4]
A good class and I recommend it.

My top recommendation though is Larry Mudgett at Marksmanship Matters.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a half hour drive from me, and yes, I've been there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Paul Howe at CSAT is in your state.  Hit up with pistol operator course, and then if you feel ready take his pistol instructor course.  Some of the best money I have ever spent.  Can't speak to Gunsite...3k just sounds like a lot.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Paul Howe at CSAT is in your state.  Hit up with pistol operator course, and then if you feel ready take his pistol instructor course.  Some of the best money I have ever spent.  Can't speak to Gunsite...3k just sounds like a lot.
View Quote

Going rate for instruction these days is 2-300 a day. Add in meals, travel and lodging and I don't think it's unreasonable. Remember it's a 5 day class.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not contact some good instructors and get them to run a class at your place, either a private class or with some paying friends?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why not contact some good instructors and get them to run a class at your place, either a private class or with some paying friends?
View Quote
you won't have access to the Gunsite facilities if you do that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I live down the road from gunsite, haven't been yet but definitely plan to do so eventually.

I would take a couple cheaper local courses (find recommendations in your HTF) first just to get your feet wet, so to speak.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:22:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I live down the road from gunsite, haven't been yet but definitely plan to do so eventually.

I would take a couple cheaper local courses (find recommendations in your HTF) first just to get your feet wet, so to speak.
View Quote

I'd rather start at Gunsite than learn questionable habits elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:56:17 AM EDT
[#12]
My thoughts: You get what you pay for. If you have the money for it, I can think of dumber ways to spend 3k. Do it and report back if you think it is worth it. (It is easy for me to spend someone else's money.)
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:05:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I took the 250 as it was a lifelong dream.  Loved it and went back a few months later for the carbine class and I can't wait to go again.  It is money well spent and a darn good time too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely,  that's why I qualified my suggestion with "find recommendations".

I just think a shorter local class or two would give him a bit of prep knowledge, take care of the first class jitters, and allow him to get his gear set up. That way, when the time comes, he could focus more on what the gunsite instructors are teaching.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I think your money would be better spent on multiple classes semi-locally.  Vickers, Defoor, Proctor...there are plenty of "big names" in the business who travel around and will likely be somewhere within driving distance of you.  I've taken 2 of Frank Proctor's classes, and both were worth every penny.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think your money would be better spent on multiple classes semi-locally.  Vickers, Defoor, Proctor...there are plenty of "big names" in the business who travel around and will likely be somewhere within driving distance of you.  I've taken 2 of Frank Proctor's classes, and both were worth every penny.
View Quote

Most of these instructors lack the facilities that Gunsite can provide and once you account for the five day foat the price isn't much better.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I just think a shorter local class or two would give him a bit of prep knowledge, take care of the first class jitters, and allow him to get his gear set up. That way, when the time comes, he could focus more on what the gunsite instructors are teaching.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Potentially workable depending on who you can find locally. But Gunsite can square you away with a whole carry kit from the pro shop if necessary.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Potentially workable depending on who you can find locally. But Gunsite can square you away with a whole carry kit from the pro shop if necessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man...buying more gear would be horrible.  

Thank you for all the advice.  I'm going to think on it.  Right now, I'm leaning toward biting the bullet and going...sort of an adventure / pilgrimage.  We have the $$$, I'm just a tight ass sometimes.  We have a four year old boy...
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have taken classes with Defoor and Proctor.

However, I would highly advise you to take some local classes first. I have only taken pistol classes from both. Proctors class would be okay for someone who has not done a lot of training before. However, Defoors class was much more advanced in my mind. I took away things from both and praise both instructors highly.

Each class with either Defoor or Proctor toppled $1K pretty quickly considering class, ammo, fuel, and boarding costs.

Defoors class seemed more geared towards carrying a pistol for protection.

Proctors class seemed geared towards competitive shooting. I agree however that it can directly relate to defensive shooting.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

However, I would highly advise you to take some local classes first. I have only taken pistol classes from both. Proctors class would be okay for someone who has not done a lot of training before. However, Defoors class was much more advanced in my mind. I took away things from both and praise both instructors highly.

Each class with either Defoor or Proctor toppled $1K pretty quickly considering class, ammo, fuel, and boarding costs.

Proctors class seemed geared towards competitive shooting. I agree however that it can directly relate to defensive shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took Frank's first "concealed carry operator" course.  He's got plans to put a concealment-focused class together, but he hasn't finalized it yet.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I took the pistol process. So maybe that's what was going on. I was the only one who rocked out with a IWB holster that weekend haha
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#22]
More than worth the price of the class, IMO, whether you area  Jeff Cooper fan or not.

A week's worth of immersion in the mindset and shooting culture is better then 10 weekends of other courses.  As with languages, immersion works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top