Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2014 12:09:00 AM EDT
OK, let's not fight, but let's talk.  I have several Glocks, and would like to get a couple of lights.  Just haven't made it around to it yet, but I'm now looking.

What I have narrowed it down to, is of course Streamlight and Surefire.  I am a Streamlight fan, and have used them at work for years (fireman).  I am also a Surefire fan, and think they most assuredly build some great products.  I own some of them for my AR's.  

I like the TLR series, but the mounting system concerns me.  In fact, the guy at work that is the training guy for PD, has told me, "a bunch of them hit the ground during training".   I get that Surefire is going to be more expensive, and I don't really care.  Is the Surefire mounting system better/more secure?  I have not put my hands on one, so I really have no clue.  

I am really not interested in anything beyond these two.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:47:15 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I get that Surefire is going to be more expensive, and I don't really care.

View Quote
You answered your own question, if price is no object buy what you feel more confident with.  I'll take the ~100 dollar TRL-1 over the 200+ dollar surefire X300 series.  

Personally I have always bought streamlight, I love their products.  I have the TLR-1 300 lumen model on my HK 45.  It set me back about 100 bucks.  

A few years ago I had a Streamlight TRL-3 that had a broken rail from my mounting it.  I bought it here on the EE.

Streamlight took it on return and replaced it completely free.  

I will never buy a Surefire handgun light as I just do not see what they offer over the Streamlight for less then half the price.  YMMV
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:11:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I am a lefty and run the Surefire.

The activation is the same no matter what hand you use.

The TLR has the rocker switch is opposite for each hand.

The TLR is probably more used in my department and I haven't heard of anyone breaking theirs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:46:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I just picked up a TLR 1  300 lumen for 104 plus shipping from midway for my pistol and a TLR1 HL  for 130 for my rifle.   The HL is blinding bright.    The only guys I've seen drop a TLR1  are guys that don't use the rail plate thing.  They take them off and expect the clamp to hold it on without anything holding it in place.  

The HL is the way to go IMO
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:10:40 AM EDT
[#4]
The only reason a TLR will fall off a rail is that it has not been tightened after snapping on the rail.  Snap it on, turn the screw till tight.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:25:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OK, let's not fight, but let's talk.  I have several Glocks, and would like to get a couple of lights.  Just haven't made it around to it yet, but I'm now looking.

What I have narrowed it down to, is of course Streamlight and Surefire.  I am a Streamlight fan, and have used them at work for years (fireman).  I am also a Surefire fan, and think they most assuredly build some great products.  I own some of them for my AR's.  

I like the TLR series, but the mounting system concerns me.  In fact, the guy at work that is the training guy for PD, has told me, "a bunch of them hit the ground during training".   I get that Surefire is going to be more expensive, and I don't really care.  Is the Surefire mounting system better/more secure?  I have not put my hands on one, so I really have no clue.  

I am really not interested in anything beyond these two.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks for the input.
View Quote

"The guy at work" is a total idiot...
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:20:47 AM EDT
[#6]
My TLR-1s has never come detached from the rail. Crank it tight.  I personally like the Streamlight battery compartment latch better than the Surefire's.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Best = Surefire
Best Value = Streamlight TRL-1

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, I'm sure you probably wouldn't say that to him.  He's legit, not to say people are not adjusting their lights correctly.

Thanks for the info guys.  I do like the fact that Streamlight has good customer service as well.  Not the SF does not.  I will give one of the TLR's a run.  

Any ideas as to which one?  I HATE lights with strobe functions.  I want the thing on or off.  More shit to go wrong, when a serious time of need should arise.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a TLR3 mounted to my P226 MK25 and has never come loose, much less fallen off.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I use Surefire on duty and off on all my pistols, shotguns and rifles.

I don't think it gets any better than Surefire.

I do have a couple Inforce lights and they seem solid so far but not near as tough or proven as the Surefire offerings.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#11]
X300 is a better light IMO.  But the newer TLR's are nothing to sneeze at.

The X300 is thinner, I prefer it's activation and the TIR optic.

But the best feature is that the X300 is essentially a quick-detach connection.  The TLR takes a little more to work and thought to get on.  Snap on is better than fiddling with the gun and tightening .  Safer too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

But the best feature is that the X300 is essentially a quick-detach connection.  The TLR takes a little more to work and thought to get on.  Snap on is better than fiddling with the gun and tightening .  Safer too.
View Quote

Matt, which one do you have?  Which pistols do you shoot it on?  Is it a on/off?  Or is there strobe nonsense?  Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Matt, which one do you have?  Which pistols do you shoot it on?  Is it a on/off?  Or is there strobe nonsense?  Thanks for your input.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have both.

The TLR must be tightened down.  Not a big deal, but I put this on my carry pistol for HD at night, so the less actual gun-handling the better for safety.

The other benefit is that if you don't get the TLR in the picatinny notch, the light can come off under fire even though it "feels" like it is tightened correctly.  

The X300 has a few attachment options.  The quick-detach method allows you to pull two tabs down and slide the light off.  Another method allows you to pull a cross-bolt out.  And the final one, essentially permanently affixes the light to the gun and you need to use a tool to remove it.  The more permanent options are more for carbine use, etc.  The QD is for pistols, and the cross bolt for either.  The purpose of the three methods is to decrease the possibility of accidental detachment.  I've never had a problem with the standard QD attachment coming loose, so the other attachment methods are a bit of overkill IMO.  Which is typical for surefire.  And never a bad thing.

Strobes are dumb.  They sound good on paper and to airsofters, but in reality, you won't be dazzling someone you want to shoot.  

I use X300's on several guns.  The Glock 19, Glock 17, and my SBR AR-15 being the most typical recipients.  My stream light TLR-2 rides exclusively on my Glock 21SF that I use for a ready Home Defense gun, which benefits from the TLR-2's laser.  Sometimes I do CCW the Glock WITH the X300 attached.  The thinner profile of the X300 helps here.

Again, I'll reiterate that both the X300 and TLR are excellent, bright, and high quality, but for my purposes which include  moving the light on and off the gun frequently, I'll pay the extra for the X300.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Streamlight TLR-3 for me.

It meets all my needs in a weapon light and it isn't 4 meters long.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:33:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have both.

The TLR must be tightened down.  Not a big deal, but I put this on my carry pistol for HD at night, so the less actual gun-handling the better for safety.

The other benefit is that if you don't get the TLR in the picatinny notch, the light can come off under fire even though it "feels" like it is tightened correctly.  

The X300 has a few attachment options.  The quick-detach method allows you to pull two tabs down and slide the light off.  Another method allows you to pull a cross-bolt out.  And the final one, essentially permanently affixes the light to the gun and you need to use a tool to remove it.  The more permanent options are more for carbine use, etc.  The QD is for pistols, and the cross bolt for either.  The purpose of the three methods is to decrease the possibility of accidental detachment.  I've never had a problem with the standard QD attachment coming loose, so the other attachment methods are a bit of overkill IMO.  Which is typical for surefire.  And never a bad thing.

Strobes are dumb.  They sound good on paper and to airsofters, but in reality, you won't be dazzling someone you want to shoot.  

I use X300's on several guns.  The Glock 19, Glock 17, and my SBR AR-15 being the most typical recipients.  My stream light TLR-2 rides exclusively on my Glock 21SF that I use for a ready Home Defense gun, which benefits from the TLR-2's laser.  Sometimes I do CCW the Glock WITH the X300 attached.  The thinner profile of the X300 helps here.

Again, I'll reiterate that both the X300 and TLR are excellent, bright, and high quality, but for my purposes which include  moving the light on and off the gun frequently, I'll pay the extra for the X300.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have both.

Great post.  I agree and also own the TLR, X200, and X300.  I much prefer the attachment system of the surefire series
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:39:02 AM EDT
[#16]
TLR-1. I've never had one fall off any rifle or pistol, nor malfunction.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:43:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I had a TRL-1HL attached to my Mk25 and experienced no issues.  It mounted rock solid to the rail and never loosened on me.  The only reason I went with Streamlight over Surefire was cost.  Both make great products, but value is on the side of Streamlight.  Not to mention they also offer a lifetime warranty just like Surefire.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Love my TLR1, and also run an insight... Anyone using the Inforce APL?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Iike tlr1hl's the only problem i have is it is easy to have an accidental light up since they have no lock out.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
TLR-1. I've never had one fall off any rifle or pistol, nor malfunction.
View Quote

This. I have one on my daily carry G19, and another on my G35. Both have been carried, used, and abused pretty extensively. Never had one come loose, and never had one not perform. I just can't justify a more expensive SF weaponlight when the TLR gets it done.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:34:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Does anyone have an opinion on the Inforce APL? I was planning on using it on my glock 19 build, just curious to see what you guys thought
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:18:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I love my TLR1s.  It's worked great at work for requals and has not come lose there or when i shoot idpa using it with my duty gear.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:57:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Love my TLR1, and also run an insight... Anyone using the Inforce APL?
View Quote

The APLs had some issues early on: I had an early model that flew off of my M&P45 after 2 shots.  Inforce CS is great though, I sent them my busted light and they sent me a brand new one.  The mounts are much more solid now.  If I could only have one light, it would probably be the APL since it's so damn easy to mount/dismount, especially if your EDC is your HD pistol.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I didn't comment earlier because I realized the OP said he wasn't interested in anything other than the Surefire or Streamlight, but since others have asked about the Inforce APL, I'll comment on that.

I was previously a Surefire only guy until about a year ago I bought a handheld Inforce light (the smaller of the two), APL, and WML. The  APL lives on my SIG p226 or Glock 19. I have not had any problems with it coming off the gun. It is very light weight and with only one battery is very thin. In fact it adds virtually nothing to the width of the gun.

I have managed to break the plastic bezel on the handheld light from Inforce after a year of daily carry and am now back to my Surefire. I plan on sending the Inforce in for repair or replacement if they will let me.  Overall I believe that the Surefire is a more rugged durable product and for hard use it would be the way to go. I prefer the APL paddle switches to the rocker switch on the x300, but I prefer the Surefire DG switch over the APL paddle switches. If you want to concealed carry with an attached weapon light, the APL is great for that as it helps keep the width slim.

Overall, I think Inforce makes a great cost effective product that works well, is light weight, small, and a little less rugged than Surefire.

I've posted these pics before, but here is a comparison of a x300 and APL. Keep in mind that the x300U is bigger than the x300. I keep meaning to take pics comparing the width.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Best = Surefire
Best Value = Streamlight TRL-1

View Quote

Pretty much sums it up.  My TLR's have never failed me, but my dad's Surefires DO feel more robust.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he probably is discussing what he sees by your average non-gun type LEO.

Would I have a TLR-1 on a handgun that wasn't properly tightened and regularly checked?  Nope.

Could I imagine some of my co-workers having them on their guns and not being properly tightened or not checking them for a year?  Yes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Streamlight TLR-3 for me.

It meets all my needs in a weapon light and it isn't 4 meters long.
View Quote

Pretty much the same for me.

Unless you are clearing a warehouse, or are in a rural area, the TLR-3, for me, is compact, and provides plenty of light, at most self defense ranges.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Would I have a TLR-1 on a handgun that wasn't properly tightened and regularly checked?  Nope.

Could I imagine some of my co-workers having them on their guns and not being properly tightened or not checking them for a year?  Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys are not thinking of muzzle-striking someone with them either.......

Surefire is more secure with the two non-QD attachments.

Flex the frame with a good muzzle strike and the TLR may move.

It also prevents the gun from going out of battery.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Does anyone have an opinion on the Inforce APL? I was planning on using it on my glock 19 build, just curious to see what you guys thought
View Quote

Well...it limits you on holster options....

And they seem to have had some failures early on.  No idea if that has continued.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:40:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

And they seem to have had some failures early on.  No idea if that has continued.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't found it limiting regarding holsters, but that may just be that the holster brands I like happen to make holsters for it. Raven Concealment is what I use for my OWB/light-bearing holsters.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Marksman, I think this is most likely dead on.  The guy I am speaking of did 4, 7 month tours in Iraq/Afg. as a machinegunner in the Marines, and has been to countless classes with the likes of Paul Howe and such, as an instructor/student.  I think he is pretty squared away.  I see a ton of guys like you are talking about, that never shot a gun before cop school, and shoot 50 rounds a year.  Hardly what I would call tactical badasses.  Not knocking them, but everybody is not a gun nut, or all into shooting, in spite of their jobs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:03:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I have both.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have both.

worked well on Afghans.. but i mean thats just real world experience

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:38:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have both.

Were afghanis breaking into your house while you slept?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have both.

what fucking fantasy world do you live in guy? please tell me your real world experience
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have both.

I don't understand what the difference whose breaking in your house matters as far as effectiveness.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#36]
The worst mounting system is the INFORCE APL

Its been known to fall or pop off!

Also doesn't fit properly on some 1913 rails. Like my P30S

I have a HK P30 and wanted a surefire but the Ultra is a little to long.

I choose the TLR-1 300 lumen for the extra run time, and if you regularly check the screw it wont fall off the rail. Ive been using the light/shooting since January and all is good. P30S/TLR-1

Now I hope surefire will someday make a compact pistol light that 200 or more lumens
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JM / Tony makes custom light holsters for almost any laser/light IWB or OWB
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I use TLR-1s units on all my railed handguns, only because I leave my lights mounted permanently to the pistol and have light bearing holsters. Buying multiple Surefires gets too damn expensive.

If I had the choice I would rather have Surefires, but there is not enough difference in function to justify the cost.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

LOL, I'm sure you probably wouldn't say that to him.  He's legit, not to say people are not adjusting their lights correctly.

Thanks for the info guys.  I do like the fact that Streamlight has good customer service as well.  Not the SF does not.  I will give one of the TLR's a run.  

Any ideas as to which one? ]I HATE lights with strobe functions.  I want the thing on or off.  More shit to go wrong, when a serious time of need should arise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any ideas as to which one? ]I HATE lights with strobe functions.  I want the thing on or off.  More shit to go wrong, when a serious time of need should arise.

TLR-1HL....bright as the sun! It has a strobe feature however it can be easily turned off with no chance of ever accidentally turning it on again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top