Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2014 11:37:51 PM EDT
Ive been looking to get a .45 for sometime and Ive narrowed it down to these two. My Problem really comes down to not having found a place that rents the damn things and a window of opportunity to snag an HK45 for 800 by the end of this week. A few points Id like to bring up but I'd love feedback and thoughts.

- Goals of the Weapon
      1) I want something I can use for Home Defense
      2) I want something I can put plenty of rounds through as I get use to a .45, I have limited Handgun experience and that experience limited to 9mm
                   - Planning on using this weapon as my "get into the hobby" gun, one I can develop good skills with and one that will hold up to frequent use

- I have short fat hands, Glocks by nature are a bit big for my hand. BUT I have never paid attention to IF the Glock 41 in the case Ive held has a backstrap on it or not, because if it comes out of the box with one of the backstraps I think removing it will reduce it enough to be more comfortable, But Ive shot a Gen 4 21 and found it manageable

- The HK feels so Nice in my hands, its the only one that felt comfortable in my hand. The ambidextrous controls allows me to use my index finger on my grip hand without having to stretch my short fat thumb.

- So overall the HK feels so good in my hands but is it worth the Extra?

Thoughts please.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:09:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an HK45 and I love it dearly.  To be fair I have never handled a glock 45 of any flavor.  

I think the asking price of the HK45 is worth it, FWIW I have the LEM trigger variant.

I have seen some smoking good deals on the HK45s lately, now is the time to buy.  

If your in the metro area Denver I'd be happy to let you shoot my HK45

PM me if you'd like

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:13:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Glock just for mags right of the top.....
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:14:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
YMMV but mag price is a distant second to shooting, handling, and ergonomic characteristics . . . .

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:02:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I just got a 41 a few weeks ago.  I really like it a lot!  I handles well, points well, and shoots soft enough.  I can see a 21SF in my future.  

That said, HK builds some high quality stuff.  I would think that you could do worse than the two fo these, whichever you choose.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:59:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ive been looking to get a .45 for sometime and Ive narrowed it down to these two. My Problem really comes down to not having found a place that rents the damn things and a window of opportunity to snag an HK45 for 800 by the end of this week. A few points Id like to bring up but I'd love feedback and thoughts.

- Goals of the Weapon
      1) I want something I can use for Home Defense
      2) I want something I can put plenty of rounds through as I get use to a .45, I have limited Handgun experience and that experience limited to 9mm
                   - Planning on using this weapon as my "get into the hobby" gun, one I can develop good skills with and one that will hold up to frequent use

- I have short fat hands, Glocks by nature are a bit big for my hand. BUT I have never paid attention to IF the Glock 41 in the case Ive held has a backstrap on it or not, because if it comes out of the box with one of the backstraps I think removing it will reduce it enough to be more comfortable, But Ive shot a Gen 4 21 and found it manageable

- The HK feels so Nice in my hands, its the only one that felt comfortable in my hand. The ambidextrous controls allows me to use my index finger on my grip hand without having to stretch my short fat thumb.

- So overall the HK feels so good in my hands but is it worth the Extra?

Thoughts please.

View Quote

Yes, it worths. Every cent.
It's H&K.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:01:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the trigger on the HK45 sucks...sold mine.

I'm very happy with my G21 Gen 4.

However, when HK puts out a VP45, I will be a buyer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want a "get into the hobby" gun....

Get a G21 and a G17
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#8]
As boarlkr said, the trigger on the HK 45 does indeed suck.

I did keep mine however, as I have been able to learn it and now shoot it well, or at least as well as I shoot anything else I own.

HK reliability is indeed the reason why I stuck with it and learned to shoot it, as well as the way it feels in the hand.  I have fired a G21 many times, and while it too is a good pistol, I just cannot tolerate
Glock's steadfast adherence to poor ergonomics. If they fit you, great, if not, move along and find something that works for you.

The HK will provide several lifetimes of service and feels better in the hand, hard to beat that.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm in the minority here in that I don't really care what a pistol feels like in my hand as I've found feel is entirely irrelevant. Ergonomics et al are really over rated in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:37:57 AM EDT
[#10]
If you have the money for an Hk, I would get it. You seem to have a good price lined up on one and you said you like the ergonomics. Yes magazines are expensive, plan to pay about 60 dollars a piece. I feel the Hk pistols are worth the money, too bad you can't shoot one as that would seal the deal!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm in the minority here in that I don't really care what a pistol feels like in my hand as I've found feel is entirely irrelevant. Ergonomics et al are really over rated in my opinion.
View Quote

Yup

It can feel great but handle terribly when firing it
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I highly recommend you purchase the HK45.  The grip angle is similar to a 1911. I used to own a Glock but I sold it to get my USP.  HK really does make excellent pistols.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Why 45?

Choose the pistol you like and then buy it in the caliber it designed for/works best with.

If you have short hands, then a 41 is gonna feel big.  I'm pretty sure it's the biggest handgun made.  

H&H stuff is reliable, but they have the most horrible triggers and they're cosmetically uglier than a Glock.  I never understood how anyone could get anywhere close to enjoying anything about an H&K.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#14]
They are both great guns.  I will advise you to shoot a Glock 21sf or 41 first though (they both have the same size frames.)  Some people find the pistol easy to shoot, some people have a hard time with the size.  If it feels good to you, I would probably go for the Glock.  

With that said the HK has ergonomics that are fantastic, and you can carry cocked and locked, but you are stuck at 10 rounds, and the trigger is average at best, but poor for the price you pay.  I would say that it has a higher overall build quality than the Glock, you can tell that just by comparing the frames, but I don't know if that will equate to having a longer service life than the Glock...that thing has a very high reputation for insane round counts.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#15]
The correct answer is, as usual, Glock 19.

If you insist on .45 for some foolish reason, then G41>HK45.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Kool aid is strong with this one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:03:07 AM EDT
[#17]
This is a win win situation. Either will serve you just fine for years. The HK feels better in the hand...but IMO the Glock handles better during fire (I.e. recoil characteristics). You can learn to operate either just fine. I think your money would be better spent with the cheaper gun, some ammo and a first rate training course. In reality training is far more important than what brand is stamped on your handgun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:30:32 AM EDT
[#18]
If you already have another Glock I'd recommend the Glock.

If not, it's a toss up. The fact that you really like the feel of the HK45 speaks volumes. The Glock has mountains of aftermarket support.

Personally I prefer the HK, but either will serve you well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#19]
The HK may feel better in your hand, but I've never found HK's to shoot any better than a Glock. In fact my follow up shots are faster with a Glock then they were with any HK I've fired or owned. Perhaps the lower barrel height or what ever the reason, Glocks just seem to shoot smoother and faster than other pistols for me.

I agree with the previous post. Spend the extra money on a good class and ammo, you will be better off in the long run.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#20]
You need to shoot both, side-by-side.

I found I can't shoot an HK45 without my thumbs decocking it every so often.

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:58:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you to everyone for their Input, I really enjoy getting input because others bring up things I would have never thought about.

I didn't want to spend more money to rent more pistols but everyone brought up a lot of good input that I broke down and spent the extra money to shoot both of the guns. I spent more money than I wanted but I needed to know what was right.

Two Constant themes I felt were:
1) Both are Solid Choices for a .45 Pistol
2) The way it fits in my hand is different than the way it will Fit/Feel in my hand when performing

After shooting both, Ive decided to go with the HK. I took #2 to heart and the Glock 41 at the end of the day was just too big and the weapon doesn't feel they way I want it when firing. Both were super sweet on the range but the HK, for me, was the best.

Thanks for all the input!
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:34:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thank you to everyone for their Input, I really enjoy getting input because others bring up things I would have never thought about.

I didn't want to spend more money to rent more pistols but everyone brought up a lot of good input that I broke down and spent the extra money to shoot both of the guns. I spent more money than I wanted but I needed to know what was right.

2) The way it fits in my hand is different than the way it will Fit/Feel in my hand when performing

After shooting both, Ive decided to go with the HK. I took #2 to heart and the Glock 41 at the end of the day was just too big and the weapon doesn't feel they way I want it when firing. Both were super sweet on the range but the HK, for me, was the best.

View Quote

Excellent choice!
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:38:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says the guy selling the HK flavor
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I've never liked LEM triggers, and DA/SA triggers are not optimal considering how good most striker fired triggers are now.

I like the G41, especially with some grip work.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Minority or silent majority. My saying is "it isn't your girl friend's hand. I don't care if it feels good holding it. How does it shoot?"

the word "hand" can be substituted for for other words depending on those present.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I had the opportunity to rent several 45 pistols at a range, including a Glock 21 and USP 45. The USP had better recoil management due to the recoil spring design and I shot better with it since the ergonomics were better for me. To me, H&K makes some of the best .45 handguns on the market. You won't be dissapointed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:36:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The correct answer is, as usual, 1911

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#28]
HK = noob cannon.

.45 = noob caliber.

sell the crap you just got.  get a G17.  its not too late.  you will be far ahead in the long run.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
HK = noob cannon.

.45 = noob caliber.

sell the crap you just got.  get a G17.  its not too late.  you will be far ahead in the long run.
View Quote

Wow, just, wow...

GD further incroaches into the tech forums.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

HK = noob cannon.

.45 = noob caliber.

View Quote

leave in GD  
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
HK = noob cannon.

.45 = noob caliber.

View Quote

I hope you started drinking early today...if not...
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
YMMV but mag price is a distant second to shooting, handling, and ergonomic characteristics . . . .  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

which the HK may, or may not, be an improvement over the Glock, depending on how you feel about the "Glock grip (tm)."

also, either is a fine choice for a defensive gun.  pick the one you like better (looks like you already did that).
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
HK = noob cannon.

.45 = noob caliber.

View Quote

hopefully your trolling.  If not ......CoC
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

HK = noob cannon.

.45 = noob caliber.

View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
HK = noob cannon.

.45 = noob caliber.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Is the HK45 trigger better than the USP? I hated the USP trigger creep and overtravel. Don't wan't to go through that again.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:52:07 PM EDT
[#37]
My G21 is nice.  It FTE on 8th shot it ever shot, but has shot close to 1000 rounds without fail EXCEPT for my weak reloads.  It would not cycle until I was close to max powder charge so I gave up reloading it.

G41 will be a good and reliable hobby gun.   You can't go wrong if you MUST have a polymer 45 acp

I once owned a HK USP 45 Tactical during the 94-2004 years.  That gun was AWESOME. It would 100% cycle reloads so weak they would not knock over 9mm pepper poppers, but then switch to +P ammo without modification.  That gun was a tank.  It could target shoot like a ruger mark II, but run fast as well.  I never used the threaded barrel.  recoil just....goes away with that german recoil system.  The trigger took about 1000 rounds plus a lot of dry fire to break it, but then it became sick nice.  I figure I got 3000 FLAWLESS rounds through it before I traded it for TWO glocks.  I don't regret getting rid of it.  For the same fun and money I could get a descent 1911 with 10 round mags  9mm and 40 are cheaper.

I don't know how the HK45 compares to the USP, but USP is way better than glock, just not for the $$$$ difference. It like the difference between Mustang GT500 and a magic Ferrrari F50 with magic never break parts.  Both will hang with anything you pull up next to at the red light, but everyone has a mustang.

If you want a fun, usable, hobby gun, both will work.  Glock will work cheaper and you can add stuff to it

but there are better options and better calibers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
I used to think just like you at one point in my life. Those guns just sat in a safe and made going to the range not fun anymore. Then I got rid of those type of unergonomical guns, and suddenly found the motivation to go for fun or just train with guns that fit and shoot wonderful. I find the more the comfort, the tighter my groups get.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Why 45?

Choose the pistol you like and then buy it in the caliber it designed for/works best with.

If you have short hands, then a 41 is gonna feel big.  I'm pretty sure it's the biggest handgun made.  

H&H stuff is reliable, but they have the most horrible triggers and they're cosmetically uglier than a Glock.  I never understood how anyone could get anywhere close to enjoying anything about an H&K.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:01:46 AM EDT
[#40]
They both are solid handguns.

HK's aren't worth a premium and mags are 2-3 times the price.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why 45?

I'll give him the trigger part. That's why I dumped my P30L
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why 45?

It's a solid critique IMO.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#43]
HK45. I bought one when they first came out and stupidly sold it. Now own an OD HK45T and it's the most accurate, comfy full size .45 on the market. It's seriously the perfect balance of everything.

Now if I can just find flat floorplates. I hate bumpers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Completely agree and the HK45 is simply superior in all of those categories to any Glock .45 IMO.

I'd go as far to say that my HK45 is the best all around .45 pistol I've ever owned (Sig 220, Glock 21, Springfield TRP, HK USPc).
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yup

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

True in my case.

My P229 shoots pretty soft when using 180gr loads.

My HK P30S 9mm feels better in my hand BUT has more snap when shooting 147gr loads

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#46]
I would take the HK 45ACP over a G45ACP!

I also prefer TDA over SFP!

I gave up the 45ACP back in 1995.

With the 40S&W or 9mm I can have more bullets and with  less recoil.

I would suggest a HK P30L 9mm LEM  or a G17

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Excellent choice!
Congratulations!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent choice!
Congratulations!

Congrats

HK makes  highly reliable pistols
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Wow, just, wow...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK = noob cannon.

.45 = noob caliber.

Wow, just, wow...

+1

Been that way for awhile now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those things are important but mag price , for me, is what gets your foot in the door.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top