Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I get practice ammo sometimes if I can con the chief out of a couple boxes. I carry a Sig P226 9mm, so from your list I'd choose the Glock 17.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Up until a couple years ago, my PD let you carry pretty much what you wanted, within policy (no SAO, calibers 9mm, .38+P, .40 or .45, reputable manufacturer, inspection by armorer). I carried an older 2nd Gen G21 for almost 20 years. Back then, .45 made a lot of sense since hollow point technology back then meant that they often failed to expand. Not to mention, the Dept bought the cheapest hollow point ammo they could find. The reasoning was if it isn't going to expand anyway, why buy expensive ammo?

A couple years ago, I made the decision to go to 9mm in a brand new 3rd Gen G19. Literally a week after I bought the gun, the old Chief unexpectedly left on a medical retirement. New Chief decided to issue guns and, instead of listening to the head instructor (namely, me) he decided to issue Gen4 G22s.  I HATE .40, so of course I hated the issued guns. To be fair, the G22s are VERY accurate and reliable. If you like .40, they are a very good choice.

About 6 months later, new Chief becomes City Manager and we get another new Chief. He's been Chief for about a yer and a half and has decided that he doesn't like .40, either and started carrying his old, VERY early 2nd Gen G17 (old as in 2 letter serial number prefix old). Policy is slowly switching back to carry what you want within reason.

So, when we qualify again, I get my wish and will carry my G19. 9mm ammo has come a LONG way in the past decade or so and there really isn't much difference between 9mm, .40 and .45 anymore, as long as you use good ammo, which we now do (I'm buying Speer Gold Dots for duty ammo; 124+P in 9mm, 180gr in .40 and 230gr in .45). Same capacity as my G22, lighter recoil, quicker follow up shots, smaller overall size and slightly lighter overall weight, cheaper practice ammo (Dept DOES NOT provide any practice ammo), all in a gun that I shoot as good or better than the G22. As an added bonus, it is small enough that I can carry it off duty during the fall/winter, when I wear heavier cover garments. Overall, a win/win for everyone. Keep your issued .40 if you want, carry something else if you don't like .40.

Bub75
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#3]
M&P 9mm full size. No doubt in my mind.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Even if the department was paying for the gun itself and all the ammo I want, I think I would still go with a boring old G19.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:41:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Glock 22

First of all,  it's a Glock.

Second,  it's a .40 cal.  

Criminals don't need a 2nd chance.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1911 in .45. Glock 21 would be my second choice.
View Quote

This or Glock 20
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd probably go with a USP .45 Tactical and replace the sights with night sights or go with an FN FNX .45 Tactical.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm issued a Glock 21. I would rather carry a Glock 34 Gen4 to have the ability to carry a 26 as a BUG and have magazine interchangeability.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am, and I carry a Glock 22 with a TLR1.

I wouldn't be opposed to switching to a G17, and in all likelihood, will probably do so the next time my department buys guns.
View Quote

G22 w/TLR1 here as well. I keep thinking about switching to a 23
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I used to not be big on glock.

I love my issued G17. Im sure I would be just as happy with an M&P9 or P226 though
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top