Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2014 5:01:15 PM EDT
Doing the new-gun-dance, and so far I'm very happy with it.

Tanfoglio Witness in .45ACP. Full size, double-stack 45 with DA/SA trigger.

Only things I'd like better would be Tritium sights and a decocker. Not really an issue, since I won't be CCW'ing it, but still... Ergonomics are terrific, action is smooth, trigger is crisp, and I sure do love me some .45ACP (My third handgun in the caliber, the others being a Colt series 70 1911 and a S&W 625... ).

Anyway, obligatory pic!

So, anyone else have one of these things? Any tips on holster cross-fit? Do .45ACP CZ mags fit and function?

Once I pick up a few mags, I'm looking to turn this into a BOB gun. For a holster, I'm considering the Uncle Mike's Universal Holster to allow the light, though I wouldn't mind a nice leather holster so I can carry it while hunting.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep on the lookout for cracks around the ejection port, those round top slides are known for it.....you might want to upgrade the recoil spring.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Awesome gun!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I own an early 1990's .45 Witness that was a limited run of actual stainless steel guns.
Only the slide and frame are stainless, everything else, including the barrel is carbon steel, blued.

I really like the gun and it's been totally reliable and very accurate.

CZ uses the same Mec-Gar 10 round magazines as the Witness.

I make my own holsters but I've been told that Beretta 9mm holsters will work with the Witness.
NOTE that I was told this about the older Witness that did not have the light mount rail on the bottom.

Here's mine:

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks identical to my Witness 10mm Wonder Finish. My 10mm had occasional issues of failing to return to battery. After buying a few of the newer Mec Gar mags and stepping up to an 18 lb. recoil spring, it has been functioning perfectly. As previously noted, do keep an eye on your slide as these round top slides are known for developing cracks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the heads-up on the slide, guys, I'll definitely keep watch.

For shits and giggles, I test fit it to my CCW holster. It's a Wild Bill's Concealment IWB for my CZ75 P-01 (well, it's for a Sig P226, I think, but it's a damn good crossfit), and it fit very well. Stuck out on the bottom, but if I ever absolutely need to conceal it (most likely never!), it's a starting point.

Also fits well in my M7 reproduction 1911 holster. Though, to be honest, few guns won't fit well in that.

Looks like I'll have to wait for the next local gun show, holster it in what I've got, and shop around there.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:00:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I just recently bought a used Witness in .45acp.  shoots to point of aim and has mild recoil.  Heavy pistol.  The first rounds I fired through it were Tula Russian crap.  I could feel the slide return to battery slowly and suffered premature slide lock at least once per mag.  I am hoping it is just the Russian ammo.  When I get the chance I will run something better through it as I like the pistol itself.

On the premature slide lock I tested shooting with one hand to eliminate the possibility that it was my support hand.  I have two different magazines.  A Tanfoglio and a Mec Gar.  Both mags did the same thing.  The 10rd Mec Gars can be had for about $27 or so if you shop around.  I need to test my pistol further with different ammo before I shell out more cash.  

Witness pistols have a 14lb recoil spring as standard.  Since I bought it used, I am not sure if it has become weaker and that would be the culprit.  Seems like if that were the case, then I wouldn't have had a slower slide cycle with the Tula.     ...or if previous owner had swapped from standard recoil spring.  hmmm.

ETA: Shot it some more today.  It was the ammo.  Tula is too underpowered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top