Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2014 7:37:05 PM EDT
I want a new hand gun. I have always been a more of a long gun guy.

I absolutely love my Sig P229R 9mm, but now I want a full size pistol. I like the SA/DA set up like the sig.

I have limited my choices to SIG P226 in 9mm, CZ 75 SP-01 9mm, or a FNX 45acp.

I like the idea of keeping the calibers the same for simplicity, but the FNX is so damn sexy as a 15+1 45 acp.

What choice would you make?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Out of those, the SP-01.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Out of those, the SP-01.
View Quote

FPNI.

That would be my choice by a wide margin.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Get yourself a SIG MK25.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Okay, follow up question for those that say CZ.

The CZ is a SA/DA pistol but has a safety. I am already trained/comfortable carrying my SIG 229 (DA/SA no safety)  and Springfield XD (DAO striker fire no safety). Is it safe to carry the CZ in condition one without the safety engaged?

I have a feeling the SIG 226/Mk 25 would be the best fit for me, but I'm afraid it is SO familiar that it wont "scratch the itch" so to speak.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Okay, follow up question for those that say CZ.

The CZ is a SA/DA pistol but has a safety. I am already trained/comfortable carrying my SIG 229 (SA/DA no safety)  and Springfield XD (DAO striker fire no safety). Is it safe to carry the CZ in condition one without the safety engaged?
View Quote

There is a firing pin block, but I wouldn't carry cocked and unlocked.   It would be safer to carry hammer down on a loaded chamber, but you have to lower the hammer manually and there is a risk of AD while doing that.

I think the SP-01 Tactical has a decocker and no manual safety, if you want to go that route.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#6]
As luck would have it I just saw a CZ 75B SP-01 with the decocker instead of a safety on Backpage.com local to me. The guy wants $600. for it. Comes with case and 2 18 round mags.

Good deal?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As luck would have it I just saw a CZ 75B SP-01 with the decocker instead of a safety on Backpage.com local to me. The guy wants $600. for it. Comes with case and 2 18 round mags.

Good deal?
View Quote

Quick, Boy Wonder!  To the Chollamobile!!!

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

FPNI.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Out of those, the SP-01.

FPNI.

Yup

Sig isn't what it used to be and the FNX is a clunky bunch of recycled milk bottles.

CZ's make bad shooters look good
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good deal?
View Quote

Oh yeah
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#10]
SP01 by far, its the smoothest shooting 9mm I've ever fired

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Since you already have a Sig, I would get the p226.  If you wanted to get the CZ, I would get the decocker model.  I know people on here will tell you how tier one cocked and locked is, Jeff Cooper, yada yada yada, but that fact is YOU will be the best at what YOU are used to using.  Drawing a pistol and firing without having to manipulate a safety is a different animal than having to draw a pistol and take the safety off, especially if you were in a defensive situation.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I am meeting the guy with the CZ 75 P-01 Tactical (decocker model) tomorrow. We will see if it's in as good a shape as he says it is.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Not being a decocker isn't the end of the world, you just manually decock it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Well I went and did it. I now own a CZ.

My first impressions. The weight is nice, I did want a full size after all. The DA trigger is heavy with a few light hangups, and the trigger reset is long. The mag release if very pronounced and easy to get to, but the spring is a little stiffer than most, meaning there will be no accidental mag drops. The short slide may take a little to get us to. The tactical comes w/ 2 18 round mags and tritium night sights.

I can't wait to get out and shoot it.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#15]
You made a great choice. I have 7 czs myself, two are sp-01s.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My first impressions. The weight is nice, I did want a full size after all. The DA trigger is heavy with a few light hangups, and the trigger reset is long. The mag release if very pronounced and easy to get to, but the spring is a little stiffer than most, meaning there will be no accidental mag drops. The short slide may take a little to get us to. The tactical comes w/ 2 18 round mags and tritium night sights.
View Quote

Get thee to Cajun Gun Works for at least a spring pack and a lower power recoil spring. The SP01 is over sprung from the factory to work with hot NATO ammo. That will greatly reduce the DA and SA trigger pull weights.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Get thee to Cajun Gun Works for at least a spring pack and a lower power recoil spring. The SP01 is over sprung from the factory to work with hot NATO ammo. That will greatly reduce the DA and SA trigger pull weights.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since he is in AZ, I think he needs to go see Angus Hobdell at CZ custom in Mesa. They set up a CZ like no other.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top