Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 10:09:45 AM EDT
I was wondering if I could get some help for a very good friend who lives in San Diego. He wants to buy a nice pistol for range use/home defense. Dosent really care about caliber,  but wants something with a little bling. His budget is around $1500. He is familiar with firearms, but not so much pistols.

He wants something that looks good, reliable, and comfortable. As I'm not familiar with California gun restrictions, I am hoping someone can help.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know what is on the approved list in CA but I'd be looking at 1911s.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you go to the CA HTF?  those guys know this stuff.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's exactly what I was thinking also. I'm a glock guy, so I know absolutely nothing about 1911's.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Try posting in the California home town forum.  They will know what can and can't be done.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Did you go to the CA HTF?  those guys know this stuff.
View Quote

I really thought about doing that first. Wasn't sure the best place for this thread.  I will post over. Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#6]
In and under the $1500. price range leaves lots of options...

+1 on 1911,s the new ruger 1911 s full and compact look nice.

He should go to a indoor range and try out some pistols to see what feels right in his hand.

.45 cal is good for home defense.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#7]
CA has a roster of approved handguns for sale that keeps shrinking. You can find the list on the Ca DOJ website. He can choose from that list or do the single shot exemption to get a handgun that's not on the list. Not all FFL's will do SSE but you can find them on the calguns website.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
CA has a roster of approved handguns for sale that keeps shrinking. You can find the list on the Ca DOJ website. He can choose from that list or do the single shot exemption to get a handgun that's not on the list. Not all FFL's will do SSE but you can find them on the calguns website.
View Quote

If you don't mind me asking, what is the single shot exemption?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#9]
$1500 could get a NICE 1911 with a rail for a light, which would be ideal for home defense if he wanted a full size 45. OR he could get 2 glock 26s if  9mm was more to his liking- a 10 shot compact- and still have $ left over for things like holsters, ammo, mags, etc. I would go for the 2 glock 26 option myself- 2 is 1, 1 is none.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
$1500 could get a NICE 1911 with a rail for a light, which would be ideal for home defense if he wanted a full size 45. OR he could get 2 glock 26s if  9mm was more to his liking- a 10 shot compact- and still have $ left over for things like holsters, ammo, mags, etc. I would go for the 2 glock 26 option myself- 2 is 1, 1 is none.
View Quote

Great reply. Thanks. He is  familiar with glocks. I have a 27, but I'm thinking a 26 would be more to his liking.  He could even do some nice upgrades to it, and buy a ton of ammo, and still be in budget.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

If HD was the intended use, I would not go 1911. They can be as reliable as anything out there, but personally I would have to shoot a lot more through any 1911 before I would trust it.

Depending on the budget and if its on whatever list guns sold in CA have to be on, I would look at HK. You are relegated to 10 rounds in your mag no matter the caliber, I would go with either .45 or .40 over 9mm.

Edit, sitting on my deck with the sun over my shoulder, missed the $1500 budget part of the post. I would still look to HK, and for $1500 you can pick up an extra mag or two
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can have a gun not on the list,  but it requires a lengthened barrel and an insert to render it a single shot pistol.  Ridiculous.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#13]
You know, something else I was thinking about... home defense. The thing has to be totally reliable all the time, in the event that you may actually need it- a no brainer. The other thing is, if he (or anyone) ends up actually having to use it, he/she may never see it again (the whole evidence thing) even if he/she is 100% in the right. Losing a gun like this would really suck. Losing a $1000-$1500 gun would suck a LOT more than losing a $500 gun. Another reason to buy 2 glock 26s- keep in mind that if his sole gun gets confiscated, the bad guys probably won't wait until he gets his gun returned or he obtains another to "revisit" the original argument.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CA requires all new handguns sold to be on the roster. One exception is for single shot handguns like a Thompson Contender. So dealers figured out how to get around the roster by putting a block in the magazine well and temporarily installing a longer barrel to meet the SSE exemption. Once you pick up your gun after the waiting period, they remove the block and reinstall the original barrel. Not all dealers will do the SSE because they don't want the hassle. I've personally bought 4 Glock gen 4's with this exemption. Of course, the politicians didn't like this so they just passed a law this week to stop the SSE. It will go into effect Jan. 1, 2015.  
Here's a link with dealers that will do the SSE.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=383692&highlight=single+shot+exemption
There's going to be a mad rush at the end of the year so if your friend wants to do an SSE he should do it sooner than later.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You can have a gun not on the list,  but it requires a lengthened barrel and an insert to render it a single shot pistol.  Ridiculous.

View Quote

Sort of.  Any single shot pistol is exempt, also single action revolvers.  However, Gov. Moonbeam just signed a bill to get rid of the single shot exemption for modified pistols.  So, single shots like the TC Contender are still ok, but not self-loaders that have been modified.

CA laws go into effect the 1st of the year, so expect a minor rush in a few months.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:52:55 PM EDT
[#16]
$1500 buys you a BNIB railed TRP usually. Good gun, i trust mine to go bang more than any other gun ive fired.

That said.. for some reason, the case that came with my TRP says "Not legal in California". I cant figure out why.. it only holds like 7+1, or i guess 10+ if you get longer mags.. isnt threaded.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:27:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beginning January 1, 2015; not anymore.

http://www.modernarms.net/california-gov-brown-signs-handgun-ban/
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know if M&Ps are compliant anymore...  Because for $1,500, you could have an M&P45 with a light and a red dot.  It would be the ultimate CA pussified handgun.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't know if M&Ps are compliant anymore...  Because for $1,500, you could have an M&P45 with a light and a red dot.  It would be the ultimate CA pussified handgun.  
View Quote

I would go this route as well!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top