Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2014 10:44:48 AM EDT
My current go-to gun is an all stock Glock 17 with Ameriglo i-Dot Pro sights on them. I shoot local matches with it (normally placing in around the top 10%), and I also carry the gun when I'm not in an office setting. Everyone in my circle also carries a Glock 17 and we can share mags, etc. I'm already set up in terms of holsters and 15 mags for my gun.

I like the gun a lot, but to me it is still not perfect. It requires a great deal of concentration to shoot precisely. If I lose any amount of focus, precision goes out the window. The same cannot be said for other guns I have owned with more forgiving triggers. However, I've been unsatisfied with the design, reliability or ergonomics of most other pistols I've tried.

I recently tried an HK VP9, and it has a much more forgiving trigger than any stock Glock. Despite being tired and dehydrated, I was able to make better hits at 50 yard hits on 12" steel plates. With my Glock, I had to give 100% focus on every shot to get the same results. I feel like I could shoot this gun better than a Glock, and I wouldn't suffer from any reliability issues. The slight difference in ergonomics from Glock aren't a huge concern. The HK rises and recoils a bit more, but I think it's something I could get over with more practice.

Am I being a bitch for wanting to switch to a VP9 from a Glock?

I do not want an aftermarket trigger in my Glock at all.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#1]
While I may not have used your wording ( every shot every time should be associated with 100% focused concentration and no item of equipment should change that) some people simply find it easier to run one type of gun over another. If you get the impression you can be more effective with the hk then go for it. But never ever let it be an excuse to get sloppy with how you apply the fundamentals feeling you can "get away with it"
One of my disappointments in current styles of uspsa type shooting is they seem to reward speed at the expense of accuracy. If I were king scenarios would be limited to 12-15 targets with on more than two or three spare rounds allowed - slow down and hit every target every time center mass !
I understand shooting large numbers of targets fast is fun ( I do it from time to time too) but feel we have lost our focus on accurate fire in the last three decades or so( yes I am that old)
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I do not want an aftermarket trigger in my Glock at all.
View Quote

Why don't you want an aftermarket trigger? I could see if there are reliability problems with lighter triggers, but there usually aren't. Putting a 3 1/2 lb disconnector and heavier spring won't affect your guns reliability one bit.

I wouldn't call you a bitch for wanting one gun over another, however for not trying to maximize your gun's potential, I feel you could be at least called foolish.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, you're being a bitch.

NO, of course you're not being a bitch.  What you're currently suffering from is newgunitis.  We all get it from time to time and most people that shoot pistols or own pistols tend to have a major case of grass is greener on the other side.  It gets even worse once we start getting just a teeny bit serious about becoming good pistol shooters.

The VP9 offers nothing that your G17 doesnt already do except a different feel.

IF you want to make the switch to an unproven platform (granted, this one SHOULD shake out just fine) at a significant expenditure, ie gun, mags, carry accessories then so be it, make the switch and see how it shakes out.  Just do yourself a favor and really think long and hard about what you're doing and realize that it is VERY much a lateral move and the VP9 is not "better" than the G17, its just a slightly different 9mm launching device.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Dont rule out an aftermarket trigger.

I put skimmers in mine.  Not because it makes it a match trigger, but it removes enough of the slop from the stock trigger that there is less chance for me in input a miss into the trigger.

Very happy with the Glock/Skimmer combo, and there is zero impact on reliability.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Race guns for games

Defense guns for defense

Stop mixing the two

Keep the Glock for carry and buy something for the competitions.    Look at what other competitiOrs use.  How many HK's do you see out there
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dont rule out an aftermarket trigger.

I put skimmers in mine.  Not because it makes it a match trigger, but it removes enough of the slop from the stock trigger that there is less chance for me in input a miss into the trigger.

Very happy with the Glock/Skimmer combo, and there is zero impact on reliability.
View Quote

I have been happy with Skimmer triggers in Glocks as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Race guns for games

Defense guns for defense

Stop mixing the two

Keep the Glock for carry and buy something for the competitions.    Look at what other competitiOrs use.  How many HK's do you see out there
View Quote

Good advice there. While you might be the rare individual that can outshoot everybody with a new, different gun, see what the people in your class are winning with. You might also see if they are using any mods.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Race guns for games

Defense guns for defense

Stop mixing the two

View Quote

To be fair, up until the release of the VP9, HK's offerings sucked ass for competition.  The triggers on their DA/SA guns require a CRAP TON of work in order to bring them to the level of say a box stock CZ with minimal work done to it.  Why go through all that hassle and expense for a plastic gun for competition when you could simply get something else?

The VP9 will probably change things in the near future but only time will tell and the current trend in USPSA and other games is moving towards DA/SA.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Why not just own both?  

Keep using the G17 for defense, use the VP for casual, competition, whatever.  If you decide to switch roles down the road, then great. But you'll still have two great options. Why limit yourself?

Unless the individual is really tight on funds, I never really understand why some will debate on dropping one platform for another that may be better for whatever reason.  You've shot it, you like it, and it's a very reputable maker, so just buy it and enjoy it!  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#10]
If it works, I wouldn't suggest ditching the Glock unless you're really tight financially.

That said, I do find that the Glock has some limitations for me as well. I can clear the plates at my local range faster and more effectively with my CZ P-07 or my Beretta 92 than I can with my Glock 17. That's partly due to fit, but I think a big part of it is the trigger. I've played with Glocks that have had a lot of time and money sunk into them, and the trigger never gets nice. It can be improved to some extent, but from what I've seen, it's not worth it. The same money or effort goes much farther in a CZ 75 or M&P.

I don't look at buying a gun that one handles better as "buying skill." If you can shoot something better, you can shoot it better. That gun may or may not be the VP9.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Handguns are a personal fit item.

The best quality handgun in the world is a poor choice for you if it doesn't fit you.  Changing to one that does can make a lot of difference.  Oftentimes that "fit" isn't apparent without live fire.

Don't let a mystique or clique dictate your choice in firearms.  If you shoot it better than your present pistols, it's a quality reliable handgun, and doesn't have any particular disqualifying factors that can't be rectified, then a change is probably a good thing.

You're not the first shooter to buy into Glock, and despite lots of trying to make them fit, discovers that they just don't.

Quoted:
Keep using the G17 for defense, use the VP for casual, competition, whatever.
View Quote

That seems really backwards.  You want the "natural fit" pistol for serious purposes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Get the VP9.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm in the same boat...I'm deep into Glocks, but I want to try a VP9.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Get the VP9. This will be my next purchase. I was able to handle one recently and the trigger is very nice and fit in my hand like a Victoria Secret model. I have owned 2 Glocks and while reliable shot horrible because they were about as comfortable as another mans sausage in my hand. You will always shoot better and more accurate with a handgun when the ergos fit correctly and you have a better trigger
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Get the VP9. This will be my next purchase. I was able to handle one recently and the trigger is very nice and fit in my hand like a Victoria Secret model. I have owned 2 Glocks and while reliable shot horrible because they were about as comfortable as another mans sausage in my hand. You will always shoot better and more accurate with a handgun when the ergos fit correctly and you have a better trigger
View Quote

So...you know what another man's sausage feels like in your hand...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Race guns for games

Defense guns for defense

Stop mixing the two

View Quote

Depends on the race doesn't it? Production division fits the Glock nicely.Nothing wrong with using the same gun for both or keeping a match version of your carry gun (single stack division?)
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Have you tried a Glock 34/35?

Honestly I can't see a reason to switch platforms completely. Especially when you can inexpensively mod a Glock to perform better.

If I were going to switch platforms I'd go the M&P route.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:29:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Get the VP9. The reason is simple - you feel it and shoot it better. Everything else (especially the brand) is of secondary importance.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:54:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Buy whatever you shoot best. Plain and simple.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:06:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't dump your Glock, but if you like the VP 9 so much, save up and buy it!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:07:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I own both and like both.

There is a reason why you just don't see aftermarket H&K barrels for sale.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I own both and like both.

There is a reason why you just don't see aftermarket H&K barrels for sale.
View Quote

Because Civilian market share of HK pistols is relatively slim compared to Glocks?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Actually, HK handguns are already equiped with high quality barrels from the factory.  I would rather spend my money on extra magazines and ammo, instead of improvised triggers, replacement barrels and countless other accessories to improve the performance of a typical factory handgun.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Actually, HK handguns are already equiped with high quality barrels from the factory.  I would rather spend my money on extra magazines and ammo, instead of improvised triggers, replacement barrels and countless other accessories to improve the performance of a typical factory handgun.
View Quote

Glocks also come with those super high quality barrels...

95% of this forum cannot shoot a four inch group at 25 yards.  The VP9 may be mechanically more accurate than a Glock but this has yet to be proven and it remains to be seen whether or not it offers a practical edge.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Pic one gun you shoot well
Buy a DILLON and sign up for some training by a really great pistol shooter

like Todd Jarrett, matt burkett etc

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Everyone in my circle also carries a Glock 17 and we can share mags, etc. I'm already set up in terms of holsters and 15 mags for my gun.

Am I being a bitch for wanting to switch to a VP9 from a Glock?
View Quote

By "circle" do you mean people you are planning to fight zombies with during the apocalypse so you want mag compatibility? I always figured a handgun/secondary weapon was pretty low on the totem pole as far as needing comparability in that manner.

When you bring the VP9 up to your "circle" do they get upset and flick you shit?

fuck it, be a bitch, you only live once.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#28]
m&p with Apex FSS
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:30:43 AM EDT
[#29]
If you just want a new gun, go buy it.
Otherwise go buy a 34 or another 17 for games and range only and improve the trigger. You will never get a crisp 3# 1911 trigger but you can get it a lot better.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Race guns for games

Defense guns for defense

Stop mixing the two

View Quote

Yes, because in competition, we want to shoot accurately as fast as we can. And in defense, we want to...oh, wait!

Larry
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I've had Glock and most everything else except a Walther. Could never get used to the ergonomics of the Glock, so it did not become a permanent fixture. I went back to what I shot best, the 1911, and eventually added CZ. Lately I've been thinking of getting something smaller for easier concealed carry. Last week I went to the LGS and handled the VP9 for the first time. It fit my hand as good as the P30 I used to have and got rid of due to the poor trigger. I wasn't expecting much other than that, but then I dry fired it. The VP9 has the best out of the box trigger I've tried outside of the 1911s I have. Choice made. The VP9 will be my carry weapon.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#32]
If it was me I'd get some more time with the HK.

A good bit more time if you can.

It would be hard for me not to get the HK if I truly shot it better.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Buy a DILLON and sign up for some training

View Quote

+1 on a Dillon loader and SD training

OP  Glocks have been having issues period.   I love the  glock 17/19 so no hate. I was wanting to go G17/19 almost a year ago and bought a HK P30S V3 9mm . (would of bought 2 VP9 if they made them then)

Chance are great that a VP9 will be GTG out of the box  just like there other HK pistols.

I would buy 2 VP9. one to carry with low round count and one to practice with.

I was lucky because I lived in the country most of my life and had my own range to shoot on..
But what help me  more was when I bought a CHEAP RELOADER  = Dillon SD press.
I was able to shoot as much as I wanted to.

SD instructor
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top