Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2014 3:27:13 PM EDT
I know the 1911 has its handicaps. Limited capacity, its a .45 when a 9mm is sufficient and cheaper, its heavy, its big, its a pain to carry because of these reasons. On the flip side it's what I shoot best, its what I'm most comfortable with, and no other trigger feels right to me. I really don't like my glocks nearly as much and I especially hate the triggers. I went to Sig Sauer to check out the m11 and the p224 and I really just don't like the triggers. I can't seem to find a double stack 9mm that I like.

So what am I supposed to do here? Should I just stick to 1911's or what's my problem? I've alot of people tell me I'd be much better off just sticking with the glocks or some other double stack 9mm. I almost think I'd be better off with a cco style 1911 for summer carry and then the full size for the rest of the year. As a side note once I did start carrying glocks I went to appendix carry and that seems to work the best for me.

All opinions on this one are much appreciated. The only other gun I can see maybe working would be a usp compact carried condition 1 but even in single action I wasn't crazy about the trigger.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I am in the same boat, though I do have a Gov't model clone in 9x23mm Winchester.

If you like it, and it is reliable, carry it.  

The 1911 does provide a touch of class.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not a double stack 9mm 1911?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#3]
BTDT. I found that a 1911 is what I shoot best so that is what I carry. I've been wanting to try a CCO type 1911 as well but I don't have much trouble concealing a gov't. If you want a double stack 9mm, take a look at CZ. I have a CZ 75 SP-01 and it's the closest you can get to a 1911 without being a 1911, after some trigger work. Or if you want something more concealable, the 75 compact, P-01, P-02 and P-07 are good options from CZ.  IMO of course.

I too have tried to make Glocks work for me, but it always seems like I'm fighting the gun in one way or another. It just isn't natural for me. I have come to realize that I cannot make a Glock a 1911 and vice versa. They each have their own attributes that makes them what they are. I have found a good middle ground for me in the SP-01 with it's ergonomics, reliability and high capacity. I also realized that I had a pattern going and seemed to prefer hammer-fired guns over striker, for obvious reasons.

I listened to people preach the virtues of Glock like they are the end all, be all gun for eternity. They aren't. They have their place but guns are a very personal choice. What works well for me, may not be what works for you. All of this being said, please try not to let people sway you one way or another. You must find what works for you. Try as many different guns as you can.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I would give a sig another look , actually try to find one you can shoot & run a couple of boxes of ammo though it

Make sure it's an "Elite" or enhanced type model - I have a P226 elite dark.

I'm a 1911 guy and I love my sig - you can get models I'm single action too
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#5]
1911 shooters are like Harley riders: they ride for years and never really learn how to ride.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know the 1911 has its handicaps. Limited capacity, its a .45 when a 9mm is sufficient and cheaper, its heavy, its big, its a pain to carry because of these reasons. On the flip side it's what I shoot best, its what I'm most comfortable with, and no other trigger feels right to me. I really don't like my glocks nearly as much and I especially hate the triggers. I went to Sig Sauer to check out the m11 and the p224 and I really just don't like the triggers. I can't seem to find a double stack 9mm that I like.

So what am I supposed to do here? Should I just stick to 1911's or what's my problem? I've alot of people tell me I'd be much better off just sticking with the glocks or some other double stack 9mm. I almost think I'd be better off with a cco style 1911 for summer carry and then the full size for the rest of the year. As a side note once I did start carrying glocks I went to appendix carry and that seems to work the best for me.

All opinions on this one are much appreciated. The only other gun I can see maybe working would be a usp compact carried condition 1 but even in single action I wasn't crazy about the trigger.
View Quote

You will never find another gun with a trigger like the 1911, but it sort of becomes a handicap for people. You would need to pick something and shoot it a lot. You would get used to the trigger and shoot fine with it.

I personally don't care for 1911s, but that is what I have seen in my friends that are 1911 guys.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you shot a Hi Power ?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I have not shot a hi power. What a notice when I pull the trigger of the sig is that the pull is long and heavy and I can feel myself pulling the gun dramatically. Even when really focusing on it I can still feel it pulling a little. Even on the single action its a longer pull the 1911 is and I can feel it pull.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I dunno, but I keep coming back to them, too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry a 25 oz Kimber 1911 3 inch that has not had any issues. It's light and easy to carry and conceal. I also have a Champion Operator that weighs 31 oz and is also easy to conceal. I never feel that I would be under gunned with either weapon. 7+1 or 8+1. I started in police work in the 70's and was issued a revolver and a drop pouch for ammo, now that made me feel under prepared.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
. I can't seem to find a double stack 9mm that I like.

So what am I supposed to do here? Should I just stick to 1911's or what's my problem?
View Quote

Well there is nothing wrong with a 1911.  Good Trigger, more accurate than most other guns, extremely ergonomic, and since the .45 is a low pressure round you will take less hearing damage if you have to shoot it indoors without ear protections.  Alloy framed ones are really no heavier than a plastic gun by other builders.

However...

What you are looking for is called the CZ-75SA.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:54:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I grew up a 1911 shooter. I still prefer the 1911 over any other auto... But I have found that the CZ-75 pattern pistols and the H&K P7 series are very usable.
I want to love the BHP... But it just doesn't fit me as nicely as a CZ75b.

If I had to give up the 1911 pattern gun, I'd go to the CZ75 and it's variants and still be comfortable and happy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:13:28 AM EDT
[#13]
After going through the Glock/XDM/M&P rotations I bought a CZ P07 and while not a .45, it's a .40 S&W, it has become my carry gun.

I replaced the ambidextrous de-cockers with the ambidextrous safeties and its a great gun for me.  Twelve rounds in the magazine.  Works like my 1911s, feels good in my hand and very accurate.

It impressed me enough I went out and bought a CZ P09 in 9mm that I still need to get to the range with.

The stock trigger on the P07 I bought is not as good as my best (worked on) 1911s but its as good or better than my stock 1911 triggers.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:44:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I think 1911s carry just fine, I prefer them in fact for their slimmer profile.
If I were in your shoes I don't think it would trouble me too much, but I struggle to imagine such a circumstance since I like variety.
Yeah all my other semi autos have crummy triggers compared to my 1911, and none of them shoot as well, but they're not 1911s so that's not really surprising. Of course what some of them undeniably do better is put more rounds down range faster, for the competitions I shoot, this matters, while it could matter in real life too in certain circumstances I almost never carry double stacks.
If you want some variety with good triggers and accuracy in a handgun, but not necessarily something to carry, though some do, myself included, go try some good revolvers in SA mode.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:43:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
What you are looking for is called the CZ-75SA.
View Quote

This is the answer, or for me, any CZ variant with a safety.  Trigger can be worked to be amazing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:30:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Stick with what works for you. Nothing wrong with a 1911 if you are comfortable with it and you have one that runs. Considering the variety of guns on this basic platform from the sig 238 to Springfield emp to 45's from micro size to full there is one for every purpose you can think of for an auto pistol
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:08:08 AM EDT
[#17]

OP is this a question?  Are you asking if it's ok to change or are you seeking affirmation that it's ok to stay with what you are using.

Carrying a pistol is about carrying what works for weight, concealability, and reliability that meets your goals for round count and penetration and manipulation.

It's not about what you like to hold in your hand or shoot for leisure at the range.

You can shoot anything well in terms of self defense with a little regular practice.

Buy a gun that meets your requirements.  Not based on likes.   There is room for both in your life.

I always roll my eyes at people that do the whole "I can't carry an ugly gun" thing.    It lives in your pants 3" from your butthole.   Get over the looks.    Or the "I like how this feels best in my hand" usually play with their guns too much.

Tool not talisman

But overall, it comes down to what you are most comfortable and practiced with.   Don't make up excuses for yourself if you've committed to lugging around Browning's hair dryer.  Just use it, carry it, and master it.   No excuses needed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#18]
If you know you like the 1911 platform, why not stick with it? If you want 9mm and capacity, get an STI 2011.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You will never find another gun with a trigger like the 1911, but it sort of becomes a handicap for people. You would need to pick something and shoot it a lot. You would get used to the trigger and shoot fine with it.

I personally don't care for 1911s, but that is what I have seen in my friends that are 1911 guys.
View Quote

I can shoot any handgun pretty dang well, but I like 1911s.

And Just because you can't afford a 1911, doesn't mean I'm handicapped for having a better trigger...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Guns are tools, different tasks require different tools. That said, I carry a 1911 about 80% of the time. It works, its reliable, I'm not a cop and the chances of me being in a situation that I will need 15 rounds are next to none. If 8 rounds and a spare mag of 230gr JHPs don't stop the threat or allow me to break contact, then I have made lots of bad decisions to get me there.
I think you should carry what you shoot best and what's most comfortable.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
1911 shooters are like Harley riders: they ride for years and never really learn how to ride.
View Quote

I know this was in jest but not totally sure it even makes sense...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:16:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
glocks
m11 and the p224
View Quote

You've tried 3 different guns and call quits?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:50:24 AM EDT
[#23]
If you want to stick with the 1911 design AND a high cap 9mm, then the answer was already posted above.  Here's a link STI 2011.

They obviously aren't in the price range of a Glock, CZ or M&P, but they are worth it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:26:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And Just because you can't afford a 1911, doesn't mean I'm handicapped for having a better trigger...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cute.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:39:05 AM EDT
[#25]
I've also tried the XD and i've shot an M&P as well. It just seems that I'm not as comfortable on anything other than a 1911. I started shooting 1911's when I was 20 and I'm 26 now. I owned a W. German 226 at one point but it just really wasn't for me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#26]
I can shoot any decent pistol well.

But most of my trigger time has been on 1911s so I will clearly be better with one.

Ive never had a 1911 that wasn't just as reliable as the glocks I own. Some needed some attention to the extractor, but after that they were gold

There are also very few other pistols I have a thing for outside of 1911s. I own a few glocks, but honestly care nothing about them and they rarely get shot.

Heres my day in day out carry pistol

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I grew up shooting 1911s, so I obviously prefer them too.
One thing I just can't get around is the Glock grip angle. (I have a couple because they're cheap & so are threaded barrels for them)
It's so different than the 1911 angle that if I draw with closed eyes & point where I think I'm aiming at a target on the wall, I'm way off vertically. I don't have that problem with HK USPs, SIGs, CZs, so on.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#28]
After shooting a double action revolver a bit more, I am wondering if I might like a Glock a little more.  Someone kind of said that earlier, a 1911 spoils you with the trigger.  But if it works, stick with it.  A lot of people bash the 1911 and maybe with good reason.  It does have some issues that could be concerning.  I like the idea of Glocks because they DON'T have a safety and they are simple and rugged.  When I first started shooting a 1911, my first was a Springy Milspec.  In doing some drawing and shooting drills, there would be times that I didn't engage the grip safety.  Obviously a beavertail that sticks out a bit more pretty much solves this problem.  But it always left me a little leary of carrying it.   Also another thing that helped with this was I went to a thumb over thumb grip and that makes a difference because my right thumb is lower.  When you do thumbs high grip with the standard grips safety, it's easy to almost be pushing up on the underside of the grip safety.

Anyways.... I'm kind of making a short story long.  But there really is no easy answer to the question.  They ALL have their drawbacks.  I'm in the same camp as you in that I owned a G19 and sold it because I always felt like I was fighting with it too.  It is however, a great gun.  It was flawless.  But I do think they have their downsides too, despite what the proponents of Glock's say.  It being perfect.  

HiPowers have their drawbacks too, but they are good pistols.  

I have yet to find the perfect gun.  And I'm done trying to find it.  I don't spend as much time shooting as I should but the fact is I have a few guns that if I feel like I need to carry, I feel like they will work.  Because that's another thing, people always say 1911's can be so unreliable and I really don't find that to be the case.  

But in the end I've carried a Detective Special more than any other gun.  Not the best gun, but the one I want to and feel good about.  Because my biggest point that I didn't really say, but trying to get across is:  It's easy to get caught up in the "What's the best".  Or "What does arfcom say is the best".  Or "this is the generally accepted way to do things".  Like grip, gun who do train with, etc etc.  And of course there are good reasons why patterns emerge and there becomes sort of an accepted S.O.P.  But the fact is, those trends change, and you have to figure out what works for you.  Even if it it's a little different, or a lot different than what everybody else says is the way to do it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#29]
The 1911 has some advantages right out of the box.

Slim grip fits most hands pretty well.
All metal frame and slide mitigates recoil more so than a polymer gun.
Trigger better than, or capable of being upgraded to be better than, almost anything out there.

Limited capacity is an issue for some, not so for others.
Take down/cleaning not as easy as say, a Glock or HK.
Reliability issues with some so-called "match" guns, which are manufactured to match tolerances, but not hand fitted, which is required of a match 1911. 1911s are designed to run loose, which helps reliability. Run them tight but don't hand fit them, and you get all kinds of problems. (Some Kimbers come to mind)
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Love the 1911 and carried one in the Navy.
Carried a Glock 23 on the PD and if the SHTF, I'll reach for the Glock first.

Dave N
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Love the 1911 and carried one in the Navy.
Carried a Glock 23 on the PD and if the SHTF, I'll reach for the Glock first.

Dave N
View Quote

Do you follow Hickok45 on Youtube? He's the guy who regularly hits a gong at 100 yards with almost any handgun. This guy has shot more handguns than I can name, and his favorite handgun is the Glock 23.

I have four compact .40's: an HK USP40C, Glock 23, Glock 27, and S&W 4006. As much as I can appreciate the quality of workmanship of the USP40C and the heft of the 4006, the Glock 23 is my favorite .40 S&W gun. They manage the snap of the .40 S&W very well (much better than the HK) and it is utterly reliable.

I also have a Springfield "Loaded" Parkerized 1911 (PX9109LP) and it is strictly a range gun. Fun to shoot as hell, but picky about ammo and simply not reliable enough to use for self-defense. Maybe with some work it can be made reliable enough, but I also have an HK USP45F and S&W M&P45, both of which have never experienced an FTF with any ammo (even the ammo that chokes the PX9109LP), so why bother?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I love my 1911s, they all 3 work great and I'd carry them with confidence.

Trigger is the best and I shoot them well.

But I carry Glocks. I like the idea of not having a manual safety and I shoot them well enough.

I also have two Sigs that I shoot better than the Glocks, but I prefer the consistent trigger of the Glock.

It's a fine line when you have too many guns. But then again, does such a thing exist???

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Silly question, the same reason Arnold Schwarzenegger used that Kimber 1911 to wast all those cartel dudes in the Mexican bar.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:14:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Have you tried the sig Xseries? I grew up on 1911s so here are some guns I like. Hopefully one of these will work for you if your looking to expand.
Sig 226

Sig X5

Smith and Wesson M&P 40 or 45, I can't speak for the 9.

All of the above can be had with thumb safety's which may make you a bit more comfortable. I don't feel like your somehow undergunned with a 1911. I am also a fan of the HK p7 series and the trigger rivals the 1911 as does the accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I shoot this the best and it gets carried in the non summer months when I'm feeling awesome:

DSC_3985 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

But this is what I carry everyday, and also shoot well:

DSC_3993 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#36]
My 5" 1911 and S&W revolvers are what I enjoy shooting most and also what I carry.

I've considered a CCO as well as the 1911 has been my #1 carry piece. While it looks like a better option at a glance,  realistically it's not so much smaller to make much difference in practicality. The 3" guns are too much of a compromise. I'm a proponent of range and carry guns being one and the same...and so it is.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#37]
This is all sound, solid advice. Sounds like I should stick with what works. A CCO 1911 would probably be my best compromise for year round appendix carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top