Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2014 5:59:34 AM EDT
looking at picking one up and am on the fence.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:06:01 AM EDT
[#1]
It Looks better on paper than in practice...

It's a giant brick, mags are hard to find, FN hates you, and it had some reliability and design issues.

Glock 21, hk USP 45 tac, sig p220 all better.

But it's not a terrible gun.  Just does not live up to it's potential IMO.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:10:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's a giant brick, mags are hard to find, FN hates you, and it had some reliability and design issues.

View Quote

I had one and sold it after a few issues with feeding, and yeah, the thing's a brick. Bought another G21 and called it good.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I like my 21sf but a gen 4 21 would be nice. But I have fondled a few others that felt good...the FN, Springer XD,  Taurus 24/7 and the S&W MP all felt nice. I know the Taurus is a no-go and now the FN....but the XD gets good reviews....... and the S&W???
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

But it's not a terrible gun. Just does not live up to it's potential IMO.
View Quote
I agree. I had an FNP-45 USG which is essentially the same as an FNX-45.

I sold it, bought a Glock 41 and no regrets.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:23:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1 to all this and also to toss out Sig's new P227 as an option as well
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for the SIG P227. No cocked-and-locked option on it though, unless they introduce an SAO model.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
looking at picking one up and am on the fence.
View Quote

you should try one yourself. some of the posters here are always quick to vote against it for their own experiences.
I am the opposite, i have not experienced any issues, it fits well for me in function and carry.
mags ARE in stock, i used to carry a USP and switched to this.

shooting, its very accurate, I load all my own 45 so i shoot the hell out of mine.
and NO,the FNP is not essentially an FNX. the FNP is the one that had most if not all of the problems.

I got mine in early 2013 and shoot it almost every weekend an avg of 150-200 rds. but have shot 400.
if i was going to have problems with it i would have by now.the first day it was stiff and missed a few rounds, nothing after that.

I have the FNX 45 tac. get one or not, does nothing for me, but i like mine and am thinking of getting a 9 or 40, dont know which yet.

research, the same complainers always are quick to dog it and it isnt a bad gun at all.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

This statement could be more true. I had one for a while and great firearm. Cant find mags and when you do they're 75 bucks. Went back to all Glocks
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#10]
The FNP is the one with picky mags, and some reliability issues. The FNX has a different barrel that is fully supported, slightly different grip size to accommodate a magazine change, and the trigger assembly has some variations to keep the trigger pins from walking. Those were major FNP issues, the FNX had some of their own, but they were much less of a problem and upgrades were added in the manufacturing process as they were found, so new pistols are relatively trouble free.

It is a big damn gun, and while the safety does go in the right direction, you can go from cocked & locked to decocked a little too easily.

That being said, it is very accurate, high capacity, reliable and has a great trigger.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Liked my FNX.  Very big gun though. Great combat pistol however.  Sold it to fund some home repair projects, wish i had it, but is definitely not one that I would go out and buy again.

I would pick the 227 or the 21 over the FNX now.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I had one that functioned fine, but I only put 400rds through it before life forced me to sell to a friend. He's not had any trouble out of it that I've heard about. I probably would own one or some other DA/SA with safety as it was very difficult to find mags when I owned it. I believe FNP holsters will work, but don't quote me on that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I had one and while it was a good pistol, it wasn't all that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#14]
as of right now $44 and in stock FNX 45 mags
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Not a bad pistol, FN took care of the issues they had. The new ones are supposed be clear of any problems the other ones had. I decided not to chance it, and went with an HK USP Tactical.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Like mine better than any other .45 I have had other than a 1911, this includes Glocks and HK's.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#17]
My FNX has been flawless. It is big but I am 6' 125 pounds soaking wet. I carry it concealed.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I love my fnx4. You can buy mags and trijicon makes night sights for it now also
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's still pretty spendy for a pistol mag.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's right in line with most regular priced Sig and HK factory mags. M&P mags aren't much cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I like my 21sf but a gen 4 21 would be nice. But I have fondled a few others that felt good...the FN, Springer XD,  Taurus 24/7 and the S&W MP all felt nice. I know the Taurus is a no-go and now the FN....but the XD gets good reviews....... and the S&W???
View Quote

I had an fnp 45 and now I have a gen 4 21... Both are soft shooters but I think I may have liked the fnp more. Time will tell I guess

Eta: while a large gun, the fn with the straight backstrap feels better in then hand than the g4 21
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Have an FNX45 in FDE and run it regularly with a TiRant with ZERO issues. It's a tack driver, as well. Out-shoots our USP Tactical. I know, I'm supposed to like the HK more. Plus I own 12 Glocks...I should prefer my new G41. I like the G41, its an improvement on the G21. But suppressed, our FNX is our go to.

My G21 is now attached to our Mech-Tech upper and nicely rigged out as a carbine and running 10mm (same frame/magwell). 10mm carbine is full of win.

IMO .45 is suppressor round and 10mm is a carry/nightstand/backup hunting round...which is why I own a G29 and four G20's!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a fnx. The regular non tac version. I've probably put about 850 ish rounds down range with it. No issues in function.  I have tried a few different types of ball ammo and all have worked fine, I also put some 230gr pdx1, and some gold Saber ammo through. It's plenty accurate. I've only shot it out to 30 yards max so far.

As for the size it is big. But 15 +1 of .45 is gonna have to be a little big and a little heavy no matter the platform.  But I have carried it concealed before. I have also taken mine on a 4 mile hike bush wacking with no issue. My girlfriend shoots the piss out of it and loves to shoot it.

I'm not a glock guy so the 21 was out for me. I have shot a few hks before and the fnx felt good in the hand. So I figured I would give it a try. Plus if you want a platform for a supressor and a rmr it's ready to go.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you should try buying a Sig P-210 mag @ $150 per pop. Or an H&K P7M13 mag @ $125 per pop. Or any sort of match rimfire mag that runs from $50 ea to $100 ea.

OP: I have the FN USG & LOVE it! It's been 100% with all sorts of cheap ammo. Its accuracy (which is MY main criteria) is only a hair shy of the H&K line, yet the FN costs several hundred $ less than a H&K.

Buy a FX with confidence, IMO.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#25]

I have an FNP-45T. I have no idea of how low in the serial #s, but I got one practically the week they came available to dealers. I have the original mags. In the 1500 or so rounds I've put through it, I had one issue with WWB that was 1.27-1.28" long that hung up a little in one mag. They added some more clearance on the FNP45 mags, and subsequently the FNX mags have even more clearance. The FNP-45 is +P rated, but doesn't have the greatest chamber support. the FNX has a different feed ramp angle to accommodate the fully supported chamber.

Probably my one complaint is brass ejection could be tuned, but I'm not a gunsmith, and don't want to pay one. I get a case now and then that will smack the hood of my Fast Fire. I've fed 750fps Tula, and some 730-750fps reloads from mine. I did have some test loads in 200gr JHPs @ 830fps, that would not cycle the slide, but those were test loads.

The trigger is good. It could be better, but I'm not a DA/SA trigger fan :)

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:30:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have an FNP-45T. I have no idea of how low in the serial #s, but I got one practically the week they came available to dealers. I have the original mags. In the 1500 or so rounds I've put through it, I had one issue with WWB that was 1.27-1.28" long that hung up a little in one mag. They added some more clearance on the FNP45 mags, and subsequently the FNX mags have even more clearance. The FNP-45 is +P rated, but doesn't have the greatest chamber support. the FNX has a different feed ramp angle to accommodate the fully supported chamber.

Probably my one complaint is brass ejection could be tuned, but I'm not a gunsmith, and don't want to pay one. I get a case now and then that will smack the hood of my Fast Fire. I've fed 750fps Tula, and some 730-750fps reloads from mine. I did have some test loads in 200gr JHPs @ 830fps, that would not cycle the slide, but those were test loads.

View Quote

Honestly, 1500 rounds might not be enough to break in the stock recoil spring. It is really heavy. My first ~800 rounds would send brass all over, including in my face.

As for using lighter loads...

Turns out the ISMI Glock 17 op rod is just a tiny bit shorter than the stock FN one. And you can get a huge amount of springs for it. All you need is a drill press and two different sized drills bits to create the step that the takedown lever fits into.

Sorry for the great photos...

With a 15lb spring it will run loads that wouldn't even move the slide before.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Honestly, 1500 rounds might not be enough to break in the stock recoil spring. It is really heavy. My first ~800 rounds would send brass all over, including in my face.

Turns out the ISMI Glock 17 op rod is just a tiny bit shorter than the stock FN one. And you can get a huge amount of springs for it. All you need is a drill press and two different sized drills bits to create the step that the takedown lever fits into.

http://i.imgur.com/xwqh6Ct.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/yoaLXm7.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/xwqh6Ct.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/yoaLXm7.jpg

Yeah I've read about using the Glock Op rod. I should pick one up. Thanks

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I just trade my fnx45.   It shot great.  It felt good it my hand.  500 rounds not an issue.  The trigger was the strangest thing ever.  I could not get used to it.  Long take up and NO consistent break.  Light enough but I never knew how it was going to break....crisp one shot, creepy the next.  Off the bench I could just shoot it well.  I trade for glock 45 = happy
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:46:37 AM EDT
[#29]
I have the FNX tactical for my home defense and woods gun. I love this gun. It is a big gun but fits very well in my hands. Like the extra capacity and options it comes with out of the box. My recommendation is to go to your local gun store and shoot it along with any others before you buy. Every gun fits and shoots differently for each person. I have bought guns from reviews and recommendations and after shooting them I disliked them. (Glock blocks ). Get the gun that fits you the best and not based off what others say.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I think its a great pistol. The biggest challenge is finding a decent holster. It look badass with my tlr1 on it, nut i just cant bring myself to plop down the cash for an rds
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top