Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2014 10:04:05 AM EDT
I have tiny baby hands. No joke I can fit into XS gloves. I currently have a gen 4 g19 and m&p9 (both with the small backstrap obviously), and an XD 9 tactical. I have a few 1911's and while I like them, I don't think I can trust them to go bang every single time. From my research so far it sounds like the P220 is a good option, but I was wondering if there are others? XD45?
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kahr P-45
View Quote

I kinda lump Kahr in with 1911's. Dont want to risk the finickiness. I've had great success with my CW9, but I've seen enough horror stories, and know enough people that has had problems to trust them completely.

I also forgot to mention that I need a light bearing pistol with duty  holster options (preferably with retention). This will be going on the warbelt.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#4]
NVM
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#5]
1. Get bigger hands
2. Get 1911
3. ???
4. Profit  

Check out the Springfield XDS in .45 ACP. It's a good little gun.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Glock 30sf or 36?
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Witness

I just don't like they don't have a +2 mag

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#8]
My XD(m) .45 runs like a top.  Wouldn't hesitate to reach for it if the need arose.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Glock 36 is pretty tiny.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have tiny baby hands. No joke I can fit into XS gloves. I currently have a gen 4 g19 and m&p9 (both with the small backstrap obviously), and an XD 9 tactical. I have a few 1911's and while I like them, I don't think I can trust them to go bang every single time. From my research so far it sounds like the P220 is a good option, but I was wondering if there are others? XD45?
View Quote

M&P45C
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#11]
P220 in SAO - The SAO trigger is easy for someone with small hands (and short fingers) to reach.  I have the Compact with 6-round capacity and it fits me perfectly.

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

How about a S&W Thunder Ranch revolver? These are really light (Scandium Alloy & Stainless steel) and nice since they're tuned & built in the Performance Center. Old school forged hammer & trigger, timing is perfect, and a sweet trigger pull both in double and single action. This fits your small hands criteria along with going bang every single time reliability - if you hear "click" simply pull the trigger again.

my $0.02

ETA: Link
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#14]
HK45C or P220 (SAO for less reach to the trigger). Or you could just get a better 1911, or stop reading the internet saying your gonna die if you carry a 1911…just a thought. If your 1911s have proven reliable now, they will be the same gun when you carry it. If they are not reliable now, get a higher quality, or learn something about the gun and fix the problem (its usually a very simple spring/ extractor issue).
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Honestly your best bet it to go to a large shop and try everything you can.  No amount of the recommendations, comparison photos or measurements will replace that.

What part of CA are you in?  There is a range in the Bay Area that rents about every popular pistol out there and you can try as many guns as you want for a flat rental fee (or at least the used to).

ETA: Sounds like you might be LE?  Do you have to abide by the CA magazine restrictions?  That would make a difference to me.

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#16]
S&W third gen semi auto

457, 4506, 4516, etc etc

HK45C
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

All of my 1911's are just as reliable as anything polymer I currently own or have owned in the past. I have two Springfield's that I can't get to go down. I wouldn't own a 1911 that was any other way... I doubt your hands are smaller than my wife's hands OP. The 1911 is the only handgun she'll regularly shoot. You need to rent and shoot whatever your wanting to replace your 1911 with in your carry rotation. I'm pretty sure a 220 is thicker in the grip and slide than a 1911 with slim grips.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
HK45C or P220 (SAO for less reach to the trigger). Or you could just get a better 1911, or stop reading the internet saying your gonna die if you carry a 1911…just a thought. If your 1911s have proven reliable now, they will be the same gun when you carry it. If they are not reliable now, get a higher quality, or learn something about the gun and fix the problem (its usually a very simple spring/ extractor issue).
View Quote

Best post yet. I came in here to say the same...
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Higher quality 1911's are not necessarily more reliable.

Loosey goosey 1911's are often more reliable, assuming mag is quality and extractor is in spec.

Or you could just get a handgun renowned for feeding and extracting everything.  Namely the Sig P220 or third gen smith
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#20]
P220 with E2 grips, and a short trigger, and toss in a SRT kit, and you've made it as thin in the grip with the shortest trigger reach that you can.

ETA,  P220's E2 grip is still wider than the Colt Defender that I carry everyday, but if you don't trust the 1911 platform, don't carry it.

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Loosey goosey 1911's are often more reliable, assuming mag is quality and extractor is in spec.

Or you could just get a handgun renowned for feeding and extracting everything.  Namely the Sig P220 or third gen smith
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 220 is ridiculously reliable.  Once, in an attempt to practice clearing failures, I put some empty cases in the magazine - it ate those, too.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I will agree with the p220 sas or hk45c.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#23]
G30S
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't know why you feel you can't trust a 1911, maybe have a good 1911 smith work it over if it's having issues. But yeah a Sig 220 is a good alternative. Also the XDS in .45acp looks to be a great conceal carry gun.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The 220 is ridiculously reliable.  Once, in an attempt to practice clearing failures, I put some empty cases in the magazine - it ate those, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every 1911 I've owned did that, other than a Colt LWC that was during their crap years. The RIA I have does it.

OP, maybe a flat grip, and a short trigger. When you have that combo it's not a large gun.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 4:29:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Witness

I just don't like they don't have a +2 mag

View Quote

That is what I came here to suggest, amazing highly underrated pistols. Hennings makes anything you could ever want for one

http://henningshootsguns.com/shop/eaa.main.html
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 4:42:12 AM EDT
[#27]
You say the M&P fits with the small backstrap? Then the M&P 45c is what I would go for if the 1911 is not for you.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:19:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Every 1911 I've owned did that, other than a Colt LWC that was during their crap years. The RIA I have does it.

OP, maybe a flat grip, and a short trigger. When you have that combo it's not a large gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've had better luck than me then.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:49:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Another vote for Glock 36. Wish I never had sold mine and I'm not even a Glock fan.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

M&P45C
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M&P45C

^ This. You can change out the back straps and find one that fits you best. I use the full size model as a truck gun and it's dead nutz reliable.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#31]
I have small hands too, and I would go with the P220. I have no trouble getting a good grip on one. 1911's are not difficult to use either. For some reason I like an arched MSH, combined with a short or medium trigger the most, but I don't mind a long trigger either. I have shot an XD45, and it was manageable, but the grip definitely felt on the large side.

My Sig P220 is the Combat model and it has the short return trigger on it, which seems to make a difference.

It has been perfectly reliable with everything, but so has my two stock Colt 1911's(O1980XSE and O1991), and they are about equal in accuracy. My Springfield WW2 GI was finicky at first, but 500 rounds got it running good. A trip to SACS for a full custom job got it 100% and it is now the best shooting .45 I have. My Kimber Eclipse 10mm is very accurate and has a great trigger, but it cannot make it through a box of ammo without a few hangups of some kind.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#32]
I have small hands as well, perhaps not that small..but Ive found the best fitting .45s for me have been:

1)1911
2) Glock 30
3) HK45C with small backstrap(you can carry this cocked and locked or use it as a double action pistiol)

You can put a short trigger on the Sig P220 but for me the trigger reach was still too long.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#33]
I have small hands myself. I just shot a 3" XDS and a 4" XDS in .45ACP this past weekend at Discount Firearms in Las Vegas. I put 5 rounds in one hole with each gun at 7 yards. I preferred the 4" barrel because it seemed to kick less but it also had the extended magazine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#34]
My EDC as been an HK45C for almost 4 years.  It was been reliable and accurate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top