User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They should rather have tried to teach a new army of mostly inexperienced  conscript soldiers thrust directly into hostilities the manual of arms for every hand-me-down pistol the IDF had in its inventory so they could be proficient with them all in condition 1 or 2?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And why would anyone carry a defensive pistol in C3

I dunno; ask an Israeli.
From what I understand with respect to the IDF, they adopted that method of carry to allow safe carry with quick response time for (at that time) a largely untrained population with a diverse variety of firearms.

Military always knows best.
They should rather have tried to teach a new army of mostly inexperienced  conscript soldiers thrust directly into hostilities the manual of arms for every hand-me-down pistol the IDF had in its inventory so they could be proficient with them all in condition 1 or 2?

So OP should also?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno; ask an Israeli.
From what I understand with respect to the IDF, they adopted that method of carry to allow safe carry with quick response time for (at that time) a largely untrained population with a diverse variety of firearms.

I would argue it would be harder to train them how to effectively draw and pit accurate rounds on target from C3 and do it consistently
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So OP should also?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno; ask an Israeli.

So OP should also?
If that what he wants to do I certainly don't have a problem with it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I would argue it would be harder to train them how to effectively draw and pit accurate rounds on target from C3 and do it consistently
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno; ask an Israeli.

And I would argue that expeditiously training them in a fine motor skill like operating a manual safety (or not operating it) under stress across a variety of firearms would be more difficult than a simple gross motor skill that covers every weapon in the inventory.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
chambered
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Always chambered!
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Anything holstered is chambered.  If the trigger guard is not covered, the magazine is loaded but the chamber is empty.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#8]
All three of my home handguns have rounds in the chambers ready to roll... They won't go off magically on their own. And in a HD situation, I might need that extra half of a second's advantage...
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#9]
No children in the home so my nightstand handgun (Sig P220 with TLR-2s) has one in the chamber, hammer down, 24x7.  It sits beside me on the nightstand when I sleep, and goes in the HD Safe during the day.  My AR stays in the HD safe with Aimpoint on, and loaded mag in the well, but no round in the chamber.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#10]
All of my guns are loaded with one in the chamber and in the safe.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
All of my guns are loaded with one in the chamber and in the safe.
View Quote

Loaded in the chamber, but locked in the safe.
That makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep. It does.

If the gun is in my control, it's loaded fully.
If the gun is not under my control, its in the safe and loaded fully.
Not my hunting guns, just those set up for HD.

Open safe, reach in for HD gun, and you are ready to preserve life instantly if necessary.

Why chamber and unchamber needlessly?
Isn't that one of the things people bitch about when LEO needlessly take their carry piece away and unload it ?
Safety and bullet set-back concerns are involved for nothing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I think most importantly, for anyone, consistency is important.
If you carry or store your firearm with an empty chamber, then that needs to be consistent, and practiced a lot.  
I don't personally think that condition 3 is a smart idea on a defense firearm.  All of my handguns are loaded with a round in the chamber at all times.  The only time they're unloaded is when they're being shot.  I still press check every single one of them every time I touch it, and in that way it's consistent.
I don't get to guarantee that I get to use two hands in a defense situation, so it's round in the chamber for me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 2:56:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I keep all of my handguns loaded with a round in the chamber. Including the ones that sit in the safe.

Quoted:
Why would you use a handgun for home defense?
View Quote

Depending on the house, unless you've got a short barreled AR with a collapsible stock, a HG would be my weapon of choice. Yes even over a shotgun. And yes over my AR. My AR's stay locked up because I don't wanna lose them in a burglary. I have a .12GA under the bed but its probably the last resort because the G35 with TLR1 is my weapon of choice.

A lot of people like to preach the whole handgun is to fight your way to a long gun logic but in certain circumstances a handgun is superior. Anyone who disagrees should probably do force on force simunitions scenario's in the tight confines of a residence. Some 'big' houses sure. I've seen houses where you might have a 30 or 40 yard shot indoors. My house nothing further then 10 yards however.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Trying to gauge how most people "store" their home defense hand guns. Currently I have mine in a nearby biometric safe, loaded but not chambered but I'm now revisiting that idea, thinking it  may be counter-productive In a panic situation, with the adrenalin pumping, to get the safe unlocked and remembering to chamber the gun before it's too late.
View Quote

NOT trying to be rude; but, what you're telling me is that you're neither properly trained, practiced, nor disciplined.  Barring complete social breakdown, C-1 pistols don't belong in the home.  Here, look what just happened to one of my neighbors:  

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140504/NEWS/140509932  

All this being said:  Do you have a dog?  
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

NOT trying to be rude; but, what you're telling me is that you're neither properly trained, practiced, nor disciplined.  Barring complete social breakdown, C-1 pistols don't belong in the home.  Here, look what just happened to one of my neighbors:  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trying to gauge how most people "store" their home defense hand guns. Currently I have mine in a nearby biometric safe, loaded but not chambered but I'm now revisiting that idea, thinking it  may be counter-productive In a panic situation, with the adrenalin pumping, to get the safe unlocked and remembering to chamber the gun before it's too late.

Poor firearm handling. Lots of poor decisions.

Pistols, rifles, and shotguns - full mag, round chambered. Some guns have safeties, some don't
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yep. It does.

If the gun is in my control, it's loaded fully.
If the gun is not under my control, its in the safe and loaded fully.
Not my hunting guns, just those set up for HD.

Open safe, reach in for HD gun, and you are ready to preserve life instantly if necessary.

Why chamber and unchamber needlessly?
Isn't that one of the things people bitch about when LEO needlessly take their carry piece away and unload it ?
Safety and bullet set-back concerns are involved for nothing.
View Quote

If your gun is locked in the safe, loaded or unloaded it's not ready for HD.
it's locked away.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Open safe, grab loaded gun. vs Open safe, grab unloaded gun.

I'm armed 24/7... with a round chambered.

Why go through the unloading and loading process when it is even more secure in the safe than in your holster ?
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 5:59:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why not have your primary in a primary location lol, unless we are talking about a firefight scenario in your home in which you shoot your way out of another room to make it to your long gun?  Sounds like a bad neighborhood lmao    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would you use a handgun for home defense?

keeps you alive while you get to your primary
Why not have your primary in a primary location lol, unless we are talking about a firefight scenario in your home in which you shoot your way out of another room to make it to your long gun?  Sounds like a bad neighborhood lmao    

Maybe you have kids, where leaving loaded rifles lying around isn't a good idea?

Easier to secure a handgun and ammo with all the quick access handgun safes available.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Who doesnt?
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Open safe, grab loaded gun. vs Open safe, grab unloaded gun.

I'm armed 24/7... with a round chambered.

Why go through the unloading and loading process when it is even more secure in the safe than in your holster ?
View Quote

I agree, I don't chamber and unchamber pistols unless they are being used. Now if your talking about strictly using a combination safe... then that's a bit different story and in a panic situation; it's is going to be much harder to open... However, I can see if you have a Gunvault or some other ready access safe that truly is quick access. I have a Gunvault Delux that sits on my nightstand for the upstairs gun. I can literally have an loaded M&P with TLR-1 in my hands in about 3 seconds. I have a three year old and that's why I have the Gunvault. For downstairs 6.5 feet high on a kitchen cabinet shelf I keep a Springfield 1911 chambered and loaded in a standard Gunvault with two extra mags. It makes no sense to keep my ready to go guns upstairs if someone is trying to get in downstairs when were downstairs. I might not get to it in time...

Link Posted: 5/14/2014 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Handguns are not part of the HD plan in my house.  
In my opinion a handgun is a lousy choice for home defense so I use a rifle or shotgun.  YMMV

AR is the primary.  Shotgun is the NY reload.  Pistol isn't an option in the house.
No kids.  Now there is no wife.  I pull my carbine out of the safe and keep it handy.

I only own two handguns.  One's on me now as my carry gun and I'm getting back on the road.
The Bersa is in the safe.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes the carry gun is always loaded and ready to roll. When not in my hip it's in a bed side safe. Always have the 300BLK SBR hanging on a hook up high in the closet with a loaded mag empty chamber. We've got 4 kids 3 and under so ensuring everything is out of reach for them  is priority #1.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top