Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/23/2014 11:39:16 AM EDT
Trying to gauge how most people "store" their home defense hand guns. Currently I have mine in a nearby biometric safe, loaded but not chambered but I'm now revisiting that idea, thinking it  may be counter-productive In a panic situation, with the adrenalin pumping, to get the safe unlocked and remembering to chamber the gun before it's too late.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Defensive weapons?
Yes, absolutely chambered

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#2]
It usually on me with one in the chamber.

Any gun I leave unattended generally doesn't have one chambered.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Defensive weapons?

View Quote

What he said.

/thread
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Trying to gauge how most people "store" their home defense hand guns. Currently I have mine in a nearby biometric safe, loaded but not chambered but I'm now revisiting that idea, thinking it  may be counter-productive In a panic situation, with the adrenalin pumping, to get the safe unlocked and remembering to chamber the gun before it's too late.
View Quote

You don't have a round chambered in your HOME DEFENSE weapon?
Good god man... why not just keep a hammer in your drawer?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#5]
If I wanted to use "unloaded" weapons for home defense I would put baseball bats around the house. All of them are chambered when outside the safe
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#6]
My rule is any gun in any safe is unchambered.

For some reason, home invasion isn't one of my big worries, big dogs, and I have my concealed carry piece loaded and out.
(No kids in the house.)
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's why I'm asking :)
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Why would you use a handgun for home defense?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#9]
All mine except in my main safe gots them bullets chambered.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#10]
All 7 are chambered
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I keep my carry gun in my nighstand because I can reach it from my bed, if for whatever reason I was in that situation and wasn't aware of it until the last second.  Grabbing a long gun is generally not as fast as reaching over and grabbing a handgun, which can be done while still laying in bed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Hell yes. I always keep one hot next to me (hidden) before sleeping. Also have back-ups at strategic places around the house.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

keeps you alive while you get to your primary
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I keep my carry gun in my nighstand because I can reach it from my bed, if for whatever reason I was in that situation and wasn't aware of it until the last second.  Grabbing a long gun is generally not as fast as reaching over and grabbing a handgun, which can be done while still laying in bed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep a shotgun within reach.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not have your primary in a primary location lol, unless we are talking about a firefight scenario in your home in which you shoot your way out of another room to make it to your long gun?  Sounds like a bad neighborhood lmao  

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why not have your primary in a primary location lol, unless we are talking about a firefight scenario in your home in which you shoot your way out of another room to make it to your long gun?  Sounds like a bad neighborhood lmao    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I'm talking about normal life in the real world where folks dont BBQ in the suburbs with an AR slung over their arm or within arms reach.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#17]
My AR, mag loaded only. My carry Glock, same way in the house, and carrying most of time.  If I have to get out of the car much in sketchy area's where someone can get the jump on me, example convenience stores,or where lowlifes hang out, it's cocked . I walked into a store robbery once, and the dude shot at me while I ran for cover, he friggen missed me with a shotgun, and I wasn't carrying back then. I wouldn't of had time to return fire because I didn't even see him behind me, he was hiding behind something I guess. Another time someone kicked in my front door, but I had time to get my pistol, and make a sandwich before he got thru, and by then he was looking down the barrel of my .357 Ruger. If I didn't have kids, I would have my pistol , or rifle next to me when I sleep ready to go ,with flashlights on both of them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

No, I'm talking about normal life in the real world where folks dont BBQ in the suburbs with an AR slung over their arm or within arms reach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But they keep chambered handguns within reach.

gotcha
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

My AR, mag loaded only. My carry Glock, same way in the house, and carrying most of time.  If I have to get out of the car much in sketchy area's where someone can get the jump on me, example convenience stores,or where lowlifes hang out, it's cocked . I walked into a store robbery once, and the dude shot at me while I ran for cover, he friggen missed me with a shotgun, and I wasn't carrying back then. I wouldn't of had time to return fire because I didn't even see him behind me, he was hiding behind something I guess. Another time someone kicked in my front door, but I had time to get my pistol, and make a sandwich before he got thru, and by then he was looking down the barrel of my .357 Ruger. If I didn't have kids, I would have my pistol , or rifle next to me when I sleep ready to go ,with flashlights on both of them.
View Quote
Kids indeed complicate having a defense weapon ready to go.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Which one?  Oh you mean the auto pistol...hell yes.... if you are worried about being stressed, you don't need an auto, you need a double action revolver......(my personal favorite)
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

gotcha
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

gotcha
Of course; thats what defines a BBQ gun.

Just saying I don't feel I need a heavier gun at the immediate ready for HD. The rilfe has a loaded mag in the safe; the handgun is loaded near me all the time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Defensive weapons?

View Quote

FPFTMFW
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I leave my shotty unchambered so I can rack it and scare the bad guys away.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Yup

One in my primary safe and one in nightstand safe. Loaded.

and the Claymore clacker under the pillow...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Anything holstered is chambered.  If the trigger guard is not covered, the magazine is loaded but the chamber is empty.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#26]
My PPQ w/ light sits in my night stand with all 15+1 ready to go.  My M&P9c is right below with 12+1, but that's mostly for carry.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm pretty sure every gun i have is chambered and ready to go.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

This

My carry gun is always cocked and locked but it's a third choice for home defense after the AR and the shotgun.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#29]
HD = loaded all the time (except when cleaning it and then I have another HD gun on me while cleaning the dirty one).

Plinking/target = unloaded till I go to the range.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

well yes, you are entirely correct but let's tackle on issue at a time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
HD = loaded all the time (except when cleaning it and then I have another HD gun on me while cleaning the dirty one).

Plinking/target = unloaded till I go to the range.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#34]
My HD and CCW is a .357  revolver   and it's loaded .    the ones in the safe are unloaded
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Defensive weapons?

View Quote

/thread

I'm hungry.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Cocked and locked in one of those bedside holsters.
When it isn't on me.
Everything in the safe is empty.
When the wee one gets mobile I may elect to get a small safe/lock box, but I doubt it, but if I did it'd be chambered for sure, seconds count and you'll already be burning a few getting in the safe/lock box.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes. Chambered.

Pistol and shotty.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, considering I carry my CCW gun on me at home. That would be a yes I leave it chambered. I leave my safe unlocked when at home with my HD shotgun loaded.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#39]
In a panic moment, an unloaded firearm might as well be a brick...........................
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude do you live in south side ST.Pete or something.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yup

One in my primary safe and one in nightstand safe. Loaded.

and the Claymore clacker under the pillow...
View Quote

I haven't thought about a Claymore in years, too funny. Sure keep the Mailman from wearing a path across my front yard...............FRONT TOWARD ENEMY...........  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I keep them locked up and unloaded, the ammo locked up separately, and the magazines unloaded and locked up separately.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Isn't a safe the best place to have a fully loaded weapon... As well as at bedside and on your person ?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Chambered of course.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#45]
of course.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I keep them locked up and unloaded, the ammo locked up separately, and the magazines unloaded and locked up separately.
View Quote

then they really aren't for home defense, are they?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#47]
I'd keep two in the chamber if I could.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Always. Peace of mind and a piece in hand if needed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'd keep two in the chamber if I could.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#50]
My home defense weapon is a five inch 1911 with Streamlight  650 lumen light attached. When its time to call it a night it comes out of the safe where it sits on the top shelf. It's the only weapon in the safe that is kept with one in the chamber. Set it on the nightstand and hope it goes back in the safe in the morning with the same round count. I have other lights and weapons but this one is kept in only two places the safe and nightstand and is always ready to go.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top