Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2014 7:58:19 AM EDT
So, I'm having to downgrade my primary 9mm handgun at the moment. What do y'all think about something in the low-mid $200's price range? I'd be happy with a used gun, but where do you find these cheap handguns used?

Sorry, been a while since I've been on the tech side of the forums.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Love my P-11 even though I've been trying to replace it for 10 years.  I even bought an HK P7 to replace it, but you just can't beat the firepower to size ratio of the P-11.  I've never had any problems with it, but I did do the Kel Tec "fluff and buff" prior to shooting it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#2]
My P11 is a very early model that needed a return to the factory. That was many, many years ago and it's still the gun I carry most.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't touch the Sccy with a pole of any length.

I'd look at Kel-Tec, one of those EAA Tokarevs, or a .380 / 9x18 FEG or Polish P64.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a SCCY and love it.  I wanted some spare parts for it called the company asked to buy a recoil spring and rod, extractor, and other commonly broken or lost parts.  Their response was give us your address and they will be in the mail Monday.  Great little guns.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Save $20 a month until you are into the low $300s and you will actually have some options.

That said keep your eyes open for a used KT PF9.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#6]
They SCCY is just a P11 knockoff made by an ex-Kel Tec employee.  It has a better trigger, but the owner forums are full of guys with problems, so caveat emptor.  Personally, I prefer the P11 over the PF-9 because of the capacity.  For the price of a crappy trigger, the P11 gives you 12+1 over the Pf-9s 7+1, and S&W 59 mag compatibility as a bonus.  You can make the P11 trigger better, but you are never going to get 13 rounds into the PF-9 no matter how much you "fluff and buff".
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They SCCY is just a P11 knockoff made by an ex-Kel Tec employee.  It has a better trigger, but the owner forums are full of guys with problems, so caveat emptor.  Personally, I prefer the P11 over the PF-9 because of the capacity.  For the price of a crappy trigger, the P11 gives you 12+1 over the Pf-9s 7+1, and S&W 59 mag compatibility as a bonus.  You can make the P11 trigger better, but you are never going to get 13 rounds into the PF-9 no matter how much you "fluff and buff".
View Quote

Good point, and since this is for primary ahdngun and not CCW, P-11 is probably the better choice.

I still say save up a few months and get yourself into the low $300 range. If you buy something for $200 you are always going to be doubting it and wanted to upgrade. Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#8]
You state you have to downgrade.
What are you running currently in 9mm, and what is the need to downgrade?
If its because you need cash selling a firearm usually won't net you what you paid for it barring you got a good deal on it used originally.
And in the $200-300 price range there isn't a great choice for a new firearm, especially when you'll likely need to buy another mag or three at $20-40 a pop.
Your likely better off hanging on to what you've got or scrounging around at pawn shops and the like for a good deal on a used 9mm.
At $250 the sccy's are cheap but they are reported to have some teething issues. Kel-tec is kel-tec some run great others are on the barnstorming factory tour....
$300 and less has used ruger P-series or if your lucky an SR9 or 3rd gen Smith and Wesson autos.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm selling my 92G to a friend for just about what I paid for it... just need money to get me through this last hump till graduation and I start working next month. I'm planning on buying a replacement 92FS or G within 6 months after I get a M&P Shield. I was just seeing if there are other options out there so I don't have to wait too long. I'm disarmed until graduation anyway, so it really doesn't make much of a difference. I might just get a holster for my P-64 to tide me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:21:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I would carry the P64 and just wait a while.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:05:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:41:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Used older smith 39 can often be had cheap and will be the way to go.
If you are a beretta guy see if you can find one of the Helwan beretta copies - they should be in your price range and the ones I shot were good. These would be a single stack single action version of the 92
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#13]
How about one of the FN/Browning or FEG HiPowers from CDISales (search Gunbroker for CDISales)?  I have two of the $200 FEGs, and after shooting both I would have no problem carrying either.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_39/145645_Coles.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_39/146624_Origin_of_the_Fake_FN_HiPowers_from_Iraq_Question.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_39/147549_PRINT_VERSION_OF_DECODING_THE_FEG_HI_POWER_NOW_AVAILABLE.html
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:58:13 AM EDT
[#14]
If you look around, you can likely find a new S&W SD9 VE in the upper $200 range.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Save $20 a month until you are into the low $300s and you will actually have some options.

That said keep your eyes open for a used KT PF9.
View Quote

I picked one up a couple years, complete pos. Did a "fluff and buff" which helped until one day after firing 3 rounds the slide stuck back and I had to use a rubber mallet to knock it back into battery. I took the slide off and laid it on a mirror and sure enough it was bent. Called KT and they said it must of been that bad batch of slides from the year before. I got it back in a couple of weeks with a new slide and when I went to test it out the take down pin snapped in two and the slide flew off. It didn't even make it a full mag after I got it back. Got a new take down pin, fired a few mags through it, then sold it to a guy who knew about the issues with PF9's but wanted a project gun.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How about one of the FN/Browning or FEG HiPowers from CDISales (search Gunbroker for CDISales)?  I have two of the $200 FEGs, and after shooting both I would have no problem carrying either.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_39/145645_Coles.html
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_39/146624_Origin_of_the_Fake_FN_HiPowers_from_Iraq_Question.html
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_39/147549_PRINT_VERSION_OF_DECODING_THE_FEG_HI_POWER_NOW_AVAILABLE.html
View Quote

This is the best choice, especially if you're already used to carrying something heavy like the 92G.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top