Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/22/2014 6:09:21 AM EDT
Which gun manufacturer do you feel makes the highest quality (reliable)  handguns under $1000, year after year?  Meant to add S & W to poll - my bad.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:15:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Fit an finish?
HK, higher end CZ and SIG models, Smith revolversBuckmark .22 pistols.

ETA: poll fail; no S&W
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:17:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Meant to add S&W, sorry!!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:20:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Rock Island, and they have been doing it for years.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:21:28 AM EDT
[#4]
And Browning should really be FN/Browning.

Other than the cost and the fact that they hate you, I haven't heard too many beefs about H&K. I have never had a quality problem with mine and I have a lot, neither new ones I bought nor ones that I bought used that were built in the 1970's.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:44:50 AM EDT
[#5]
What does "quality" mean?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:48:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Browning doesn't make anything.  It's just a  marketing company.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#7]
If the qualifications are, as I am assuming, fit and finish, performance, and most importantly IMO, QC, it has to be either Sig or HK.  I like Glock, but if people can't take in to account the early 9mm gen 4 debacle, I have to wonder if they are being honest with themselves.  I know a lot of people have theirs, and it works, but for a while if you bought a gen 4 glock 19, it was really up in the air whether or not it would work the way it was supposed to or not.  I think that takes it out of the running.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:04:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rock Island, and they have been doing it for years.
View Quote

I can agree and disagree.  Rock Island makes a high value product not necessarily the best for under 1k but a good pistol none the less.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Very hard to only sum this up in 1 maker when several fit the description.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Very hard to only sum this up in 1 maker when several fit the description.
View Quote

First thing that came to my mind when I saw the thread title.  And if you look hard enough almost any gun manufacturer has had a year or two when they needed to tweek something to improve a new gun.

Glock has made good quality year after year.  So has CZ.  So has Rock Island Armory in the budget 1911 category.  Etc, etc.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:35:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Sometimes i feel like that guy on the audi comercial.The tow truck guy who has pulled out every kind of vehicle except a audi quatro.I feel that way watching pistols at uspsa matches, both as  a shooter, and a RO.In all of the years, there are only 2 pistols i have never seen malfunction. You could make. Case that there are not alo tof them in matches, but the only 2 are the beretta 92, and the cz75, mostly shadows. On a similiar note every glock i have seen choke, have been messesd with.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sometimes i feel like that guy on the audi comercial.The tow truck guy who has pulled out every kind of vehicle except a audi quatro.I feel that way watching pistols at uspsa matches, both as  a shooter, and a RO.In all of the years, there are only 2 pistols i have never seen malfunction. You could make. Case that there are not alo tof them in matches, but the only 2 are the beretta 92, and the cz75, mostly shadows. On a similiar note every glock i have seen choke, have been messesd with.
View Quote

I had a Glock choke on me at the range.  It was a range gun that I rented.  The recoil spring assembly poked through and out the front of the gun.  When I asked one of the range staff about it he mentioned that one of the range owners had been making modifications to the gun.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I am surprised Glock is winning with the issues they were having with the 9mm Gen4s.

I voted HK.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
I watched the Beretta I was shooting eject the empty to the right and the fresh round out the left one time.  My buddies HK had the decocking lever break.

Everything goes down eventually.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#15]
HK's exude "quality".  I don't really know how to put it.  When you handle one though, you can tell a difference.  They are one or two (or ten) notches above anything else when it comes to quality.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I think I'm going with S&W or Beretta. I dont think a plastic gun really constitutes overall high quality; if only from an aesthetic perspective.

Quoted:
HK's exude "quality"...
View Quote

Until you pull the trigger. Not knocking HK, good guns, really good at getting rounds in and empties out but their ergos never appealed to me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Poll is worthless without CZ in there.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

HK's exude "quality".  I don't really know how to put it.  When you handle one though, you can tell a difference.  They are one or two (or ten) notches above anything else when it comes to quality.
View Quote
And the triggers suck.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#19]
The problem with internet polls is that the guys who like Rugers will say "Rugers are the best"....the guys who own S&W will say they are the best....Springfield...yep, they are the best.  

Just pick out a gun you like, do some research, go and shoot it...if you like it, buy it.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#20]
No mention if the cheaper colt 1911 here. I have one and love it. I think I paid $650 for it. Now they are around $750.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The problem with internet polls is that the guys who like Rugers will say "Rugers are the best"....the guys who own S&W will say they are the best....Springfield...yep, they are the best.  

Just pick out a gun you like, do some research, go and shoot it...if you like it, buy it.

View Quote

Good advice and observation.  Most prominent gun manufacturers will have quality firearms at competitive prices these days.  Find what fits you best.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I would have said Glock, but the brand spanking new Gen 4 G17 a buddy had at the range disabused me of that notion.

How you like brass to the face?  Yes?  Moar brass to the face for you!

Berettas run as long as you use factory/Mecgar mags.

Walthers are good quality, but the PPS went through a bit of a buggy start.  My PPQ has been flawless.

I associate Springfields with malfs.  Smith&Wessons and Rugers with recall tags.  Sigs...depends on when they were made.  I would not be too keen on the new ones.

Kahr?  Bwahahahahaha

Kimber?  OH MY.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No mention if the cheaper colt 1911 here. I have one and love it. I think I paid $650 for it. Now they are around $750.
View Quote

Try $950
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
And the triggers suck.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And the triggers suck.

The P7 has one of the nicest triggers that I have ever shot.  I'll agree with you on the USP triggers.  I even have the LEM competition trigger on my USP and can't shoot it worth a crap.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The P7 has one of the nicest triggers that I have ever shot.  I'll agree with you on the USP triggers.  I even have the LEM competition trigger on my USP and can't shoot it worth a crap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And the triggers suck.

I've mainly shot the USP's.  I haven't tried a P7 yet.  I still think the HK's are good guns, they're just not my favorite.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
And the triggers suck.

View Quote

View Quote

HK P7 was discontinued in 2008, hence not relevant to the thread.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#27]
HK.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And the triggers suck.

Sure it is, title says year after year meaning if they made crap in the past it's still relevant.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

The P7 will always be relevant!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#30]
If the poll said "highest quality handgun" and not "handguns" then I would immediately go for H&K even though I can't stand their arrogant pricing and average-at-best triggers.  But since volume seems to be in question, I had to go with Glock even with the Gen4 bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm not a fanboy but HK doesn't send out many dogs. They use a R&D department to do their testing rather than a customer base.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Sure it is, title says year after year meaning if they made crap in the past it's still relevant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And the triggers suck.

It was also in very limited production in the last 10 years up until it was discontinued.  

I never felt that they had a very good trigger.  Very vague.  Like any HK.

HK is a damn well built gun.  But it's from an engineer's approach.  Not from a shooter's approach.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm not a fanboy but HK doesn't send out many dogs. They use a R&D department to do their testing rather than a customer base.
View Quote

They don't listen to their customer base anyways in any event.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd say that from a standpoint of maximizing the amount of fit and finish operations to get to the finished product, that beretta probably has the highest "quality".  $650 give or take is a damn fine value for the 92's.  And I don't even like them that much.  The level of work that goes into a 92, and the level of quality of the resulting gun is nothing short of amazing that they sell for a price competitive with Glocks.

The next guns that exhibit such features would be the CZ's.  Colt 1991 series are an excellent product, but still vary greatly from one unit to the next even in their CNC production.

But as far as sheer reliability is concerned, Glock takes the cake.  The slides are actually quite well finished.  Smooth, flat, and with an awesome resistance to corrosion.

Hands down the most "quality" for the dollar spent are going to be S&W Third Gens, especially the TSW and Performance Center guns.   Lots of machining steps in these guns.  Lots of fitting.  Great quality and accuracy.  Bargain basement pricing for the most part.  All from the infancy of CNC firearms.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Glock
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Glock or CZ
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What does "quality" mean?
View Quote

This.

We have about a 20 Pager going at the WaltherForums on the subject of what quality is.
It's a really hard thing to define.  

It's both objective and subjective.  

It's an interesting discussion.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Based on reliability I said Glock, despite the snafu with the gen.4s.
IMO, Ruger is a close 2nd.
A lot of manufactures you mention are to obscure to rate, such as Walther and Browning.
ETA: to me "highest quality" means reliability + durability.
ETA: Even RIA has earned a REALY good reputation. I own 1 and it has been as reliable as any glock.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Walther and Browning are 'obscure'?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Walther and Browning are 'obscure'?
View Quote

Actually H&K is pretty rare around my AO also. Pretty much everybody in the trailer park has Rugers or Glocks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe the question was about which company listens to their customers the most, it is which company puts out the highest quality product.  To me, QC is about as important to quality as anything else.  I know a lot of people don't like HK since they are polymer framed handguns that are generally around (or just under) a grand, but you can not deny that their quality is top notch.  Of all the horror stories from all the different manufacturers out there...you hear very little about HK lemons.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I've got a bunch of Glocks--never had to send one back.  Several Smiths took a  trip back and one Ruger......
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#43]
HK without any doubt.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#44]
I love SAO Sigs but they are right at the 1k pricepoint (or above depending on the model) and I have never had an issue with any of my glocks (have had 5, still have 3).  I vote Glock
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I love SAO Sigs but they are right at the 1k pricepoint (or above depending on the model) and I have never had an issue with any of my glocks (have had 5, still have 3).  I vote Glock
View Quote

The best bang on the market hands down are the lower end Sig X5's.

It's a shitload of gun for the price.

But they start at about $1400, so I can't really keep it in the confines of this question.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Throwing my hat in the HK ring.  None of mine have ever had any problems  

Yes the are expensive

I have practiced enough with the LEM trigger to like it
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:15:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Throwing my hat in the HK ring.  None of mine have ever had any problems  

Yes the are expensive

View Quote

^This!
In terms of quality - HK, hands down!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:49:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I am surprised Glock is winning with the issues they were having with the 9mm Gen4s.

I voted HK.
View Quote

Totally agree, I'm on the same boat.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:08:55 AM EDT
[#49]
I guess Colt's and Smith & Wesson have fallen out of fashion.  Neither is on the list.  Both are better quality than anything that is on the list.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#50]
since people talk about HK quality, do any of you noticed when dry firing P30 hammer falls, there's some kind of "vibration" of the hammer spring? it doesn't go solid "bang", but makes some "shaky sound"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top