Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2014 9:04:32 AM EDT
Hello all, I'm looking to get a new summer carry gun and I'm looking for some opinion's from you guys. Currently I have a glock 17 and typically carry a J-frame in the summer (pocket carry) I do reload as well as cast (9/38/357) and I'm tooled up for the big 5 already (9,38/357, 40, 45) Years back I consolidated calibers and focused on 9mm and 38 spl. now that I've started casting it has made things a little more flexible.

I'm looking to go single stack for sure and debating mostly between 9mm and 45acp. I do currently have a 1/2 case of HST's in 9mm as well as a mold for 9mm. however buying a mold for 45 acp and a few boxes of premium defense ammo wouldn't be a huge ordeal and It looks like you really only lose about 1 round of ammo if the same sized weapon. this gun will be worn IWB and will be "full sized single stack" no pocket pistols this go around. here's a list of previous gun's i've let go because they weren't quite right for me or financial reasons (LCP, XDm9, XD45 5", HK usp comp. 9, Kahr pm9, springfield 1911 mil spec, G19)

Leaning towards the KAHR CT45 or CW9 (or CT9 if I chose to wait till the fall) If I get the CT model it will be chopped down 1 grip size (ie. to the CW series grip length) and with the CT45 I can use 1911 officer mags and keep the 7+1 capacity with the shorter CW grip Length.

In closing if ammo cost was no consideration would you chose a 7+1 45acp or 7+1 9mm?

Edit: appears I was wrong and both firearms would ultimately be 7+1 after the 1911 mag mod in the 45.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#1]
.357       you can thank me later
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually If there was a factory single stack .357 sig i'd probably all over it. I did consider a 3" sp101 in .357 but just too thick for my liking.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#3]
9mm.

You already have a solid supply of HST's.

You're splitting hairs in regards to the performance of handgun calibers when you use quality ammo.

I'll take that extra round from the 9mm every day of the week.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#4]
10mm or gtfo
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#5]
9mm.  The gun will be fractionally smaller and lighter.  The difference on paper won't seem like much, but the difference in comfort/concealability an IWB holster is often a lot more than the tape measure would suggest.  Also the ammo is lighter, and has less recoil if we're talking about generally similar sized guns.  The difference in terminal performance is nil if you are using quality SD ammo.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

9mm.  The gun will be fractionally smaller and lighter.  The difference on paper won't seem like much, but the difference in comfort/concealability an IWB holster is often a lot more than the tape measure would suggest.  Also the ammo is lighter, and has less recoil if we're talking about generally similar sized guns.  The difference in terminal performance is nil if you are using quality SD ammo.
View Quote
Solid advice there.  When I was looking at the specs on the shield I was really unimpressed when I compared it to the M&P compact, the numbers just weren't that much different as far as width and weight and length.  But after carrying both, it's really night and day.  If the choice is for a single stack carry gun, and only 9 or 45, I would go 9mm for sure.

What you really need is a gun that you carry all the time comfortably, who's dimensions/weight don't tempt you to leave it at home or in your car, and that you can reasonably hit what you aim at.  The caliber really doesn't matter.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Actually If there was a factory single stack .357 sig i'd probably all over it. I did consider a 3" sp101 in .357 but just too thick for my liking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you considered the Ruger LCR in .357?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Voted 9mm.  The 4" XD-S would probably be my choice, but my wife has a Shield on the way.  I'd be OK with either, but I like the longer barrel/slide of the 4" XD-S.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I voted for the forty-five.  I know what the gelatin tests show, and I understand some of the science behind predicting wounding capabilities, but science be damn'd... I have a totally unreasoned belief that the heavy slow .45 slug will hit harder than the light, fast 9mm pill.    I shoot my Commander-length Sig 1911 well enough, and it carries quite easily despite being all steel and nearly as heavy as a boat anchor.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#10]
.45 ACP.

I switched after reading Buick of Truth's segment on windshields and safety glass.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
9mm.

You're splitting hairs in regards to the performance of handgun calibers when you use quality ammo.

View Quote

100% everything this fella just said.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#12]
45 for the largest hole maker.

9 for amount of ammo down range.

357sig for power and amount of bullets down range.

I carry either 1911, g19 or sig 229 depending on mood and weather.

I was asked once why I carry a 45. It's only because I have not figured out how to conceal a ma duece yet.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
9mm.

Yup, this.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is...

Being said, with only ONE round different between the 9 and 45 I'd say go with the .45.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Other:  weight , rust resistance, accuracy.
What I normally carry, Glock 23 with a KKM .357 Sig barrel, Glock 30 SF in .45 with a grip extender and a 13 Rd mag, Glock 30SF with 10mm Bar-Sto barrel and 15 Rd Mag with hot loads, Sig 239 in .357 Sig, S&W 629 4 in .44 MAG, Ruger 45 Long Colt. All depends on where I am going and what I have qualified with to carry in the area .
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#16]
.45 is proven to be much more effective than 9mm in every capacity possible. Fact.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There is...
  http://www.kygunco.com/prodimages/20403-DEFAULT-L.jpg

Being said, with only ONE round different between the 9 and 45 I'd say go with the .45.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is...
  http://www.kygunco.com/prodimages/20403-DEFAULT-L.jpg

single stack and 1.2" thick? my glock is around that thick. the sigs don't jive with me. they put a weird strain on my strong hand thumb that makes them very uncomfortable. (only shot a p226 and p229)
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:59:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I voted .45 based on being a full size gun so I would think "shootability" wouldn't suffer.  You say "full size single stack" but then I see Shields coming up in threads (which are subcompacts I think...).

The points about weight and ease of carrying are valid.

If the gun is big enough that .45 shoots well, I personally would go for the slight edge in wounding over the slight edge in capacity.

ETA: for the record my normal carry is a PPS with 6+1 9mm and I am comfortable with that.  I would not want a .45 in a PPS size pistol.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:01:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Been carrying a S&W 3913 lately

9mm +P

8+1 capacity

The frame is as thin as you can get.

Pretty controllable.  That second followup shot is going to come out a lot faster than out of a .45ACP in similar size.

Two holes is better than one hole.

Anything worth shooting, is worth shooting twice.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:06:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Why would you limit yourself to only 7+1 rounds? Does it have to be a single stack or nothing? I'm a big ol boy, 6'2" 260, and I carry an M&P40c with 10+1 capacity very easily and comfortable in a Comp-Tac M-Tac holster... If you find the right holster you can carry a double stack compact extremely comfortable while the pistol is still very shootable too. To answer your question though I voted .45acp...
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:55:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can barely hold my LCR on target for follow-up shots, and it's chambered in .38 Special.  My XDs in .45 is far easier to manage.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:07:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I like my Walther PPS 9mm.  

It is slim and easy to carry in a IWB holster.  It is big enough to shoot well but small enough to easily conceal.

The Shield with an Apex trigger upgrade would be a consideration as well.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why would you limit yourself to only 7+1 rounds? Does it have to be a single stack or nothing? I'm a big ol boy, 6'2" 260, and I carry an M&P40c with 10+1 capacity very easily and comfortable in a Comp-Tac M-Tac holster... If you find the right holster you can carry a double stack compact extremely comfortable while the pistol is still very shootable too. To answer your question though I voted .45acp...
View Quote

I've owned a Glock 19 (not much bigger than your m&p) and in the 110+ days it's nothing plesant to carry around. I feel a slimmer gun carry's much easier and that 1/8-1/4" is noticable when it's on your hip. I also had a PM9 and it is a touch to heavy for pocket carry in my opinion and if i'm going to wear it on the belt I'll take the longer sight radius and full grip.

and by "full size single stack" I'm speaking about a 4+" barrel and full grip. (ie. commander size) none of those pinky danglers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Lightweight commander in 9x23 Winchester. 10 rounds, can run thin grips, round meets or exceeds 357 performance.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:53:46 AM EDT
[#25]
If by 357 you meant 357 mag. You said full size so coonan 1911 in 357 mag.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:43:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've owned a Glock 19 (not much bigger than your m&p) and in the 110+ days it's nothing plesant to carry around. I feel a slimmer gun carry's much easier and that 1/8-1/4" is noticable when it's on your hip. I also had a PM9 and it is a touch to heavy for pocket carry in my opinion and if i'm going to wear it on the belt I'll take the longer sight radius and full grip.

and by "full size single stack" I'm speaking about a 4+" barrel and full grip. (ie. commander size) none of those pinky danglers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my carry experience Glocks are not extremely comfortable to carry, (blocky). I traded a G27 for an M&P40c, that is much more comfortable. I don't believe anyone has mentioned a "pinky danger" yet... I shoot my M&P with the magazine/pinky extensions in the pistol so there is zero pinky dangling. I hate pinky danglers too... Good luck with your choices and post pics of your new piece/holster combo.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:10:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
.45 is proven to be much more effective than 9mm in every capacity possible. Fact.

View Quote

Troll
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Been carrying a S&W 3913 lately

9mm +P

8+1 capacity

The frame is as thin as you can get.

Pretty controllable.  That second followup shot is going to come out a lot faster than out of a .45ACP in similar size.

Two holes is better than one hole.

Anything worth shooting, is worth shooting twice.
View Quote

I have a 908, which is the "value" version of the 3913.

It's what I used to carry, and I love that gun.

I now carry a Shield.

Capacity is the same, the gun is 4 ounces and change lighter, and it's significantly thinner at every point along the gun.

25 years ago, the subcomnpact Gen 3 S&Ws were amazing.  Now?  The Shield carries the torch.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Glock 19 is my choice. I am bid enough to conceal and 15+1 is acceptable to me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Glock 19 is my choice. I am bid enough to conceal and 15+1 is acceptable to me.
View Quote

This or a ...

Big fat G30 sf with 10 rnds of HST

Slide mass FTMFW  follow ups no issue

Fuck size restrictions I carry it IWB no problem shorts and a tshirt
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:44:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Single stack I'd go .45.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top