Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2014 12:00:47 PM EDT
If I want to ship to a gunsmith, I have to ship overnight, correct? ETA: and he can ship it back to my house directly?
Fedex, UPS only?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd find an FFL that does transfers for cheap and ship through them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

My FFL does them for $20 pluz $10 background check fee.

So $20ish for them to ship it and then $30 on the back end for the transfer.

Can I ship a G19 frame for cheaper than $50?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Find someone that doesn't charge $30 for a transfer. My FFL charges $10.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is this really a transfer though?  He's not transferring ownership; he's just getting it worked on, and will get it back.

I'd recommend asking the gunsmith in question what form of shipment they normally take for this kind of work.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

CO has a mandatory $10 fee.
The transfer is $20
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]
He doesnt need to do a transfer to ship to a gunsmith. Take it to your FFL and ask him to ship it; they have better options and can usually ship it for $20 or so. I do it all the time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
He doesnt need to do a transfer to ship to a gunsmith. Take it to your FFL and ask him to ship it; they have better options and can usually ship it for $20 or so. I do it all the time.
View Quote

And the gunsmith can ship it directly back to me?
Gunsmith has a flat $10 return shipping
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I want to ship to a gunsmith, I have to ship overnight, correct? ETA: and he can ship it back to my house directly?
Fedex, UPS only?
View Quote

<----FFL
I wrote this "How to ship firearms" guide and its stickied at The Firing Line.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539529

No federal law requires shipping Overnight or Next Day...........but FedEx and UPS both require such service. Fail to follow their tariffs (shipping policies) and you'll nothing on a claim for loss, damage or theft.

Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Licensed dealers and manufacturers can mail a handgun via USPS for less than half the cost of FedEx/UPS.
I charge $10 + actual shipping/insurance/adult signature......try and find a dealer who does this as well. I also don't charge a fee when the gun is returned from repair.

Quoted:
Can I ship a G19 frame for cheaper than $50?
View Quote

Firearm frames, receivers and lowers are treated exactly the same as any firearm. Labeling it "machine parts" doesn't change the fact that a handgun frame is still a handgun.

Quoted:
Is this really a transfer though?  He's not transferring ownership; he's just getting it worked on, and will get it back...
View Quote

Yes, it's a transfer. "Ownership" has nothing to do with it..........it's a matter of "possession". Anytime a firearm is shipped interstate it must be received by an FFL. The only exceptions are shipping a firearm addressed to yourself in another state or the return of a repaired or replacement firearm from a licensed gunsmith or manufacturer.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If YOU ship it to the gunsmith for repair, it can be returned to you.
If your dealer ships it, the gunsmith should return it to him.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So advise me on the cheapest course of action while being legal.
Please and thank you

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Check out the Colorado hometown forum and see if there are any threads about FFL fees. If there isn't, start one. We have one in the Okie forum.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:50:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Please and thank you

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please and thank you

"Cheapest" depends on what your local FFL charges to mail USPS vs doing it yourself FedEx/UPS. You'll need to find a local FFL with reasonable fees.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

"Cheapest" depends on what your local FFL charges to mail USPS vs doing it yourself FedEx/UPS. You'll need to find a local FFL with reasonable fees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please and thank you

So potential FFL shipping fee, actual shipping price, gunsmith return shipping fee, FFL transfer, CO background check fee... Eff

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Again, no transfer is required so no transfer fee is needed. Also it's your gun the gunsmith can ship it back to you even if you have your dealer ship it out. At least I have never needed to.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So potential FFL shipping fee, actual shipping price, gunsmith return shipping fee, FFL transfer, CO background check fee... Eff

View Quote

Move to a state that doesn't charge a "background check fee"..........the FBI NICS is a free service.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Move to a state that doesn't charge a "background check fee"..........the FBI NICS is a free service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed but that's the cheapest of all 6 parts!

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Again, no transfer is required so no transfer fee is needed. Also it's your gun the gunsmith can ship it back to you even if you have your dealer ship it out. At least I have never needed to.
View Quote

a transfer fee is assessed by an fll for the service.  if you mail it yourself then there's nobody to transfer through, but you have less options, which are usually more expensive, for shipping. i tried to ship a 10/22 via fedex and since i'm not an ffl the only option was overnight at about $100. i said screw that and took it to an ffl, paid him $20 plus about $15 to ups for shipping.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:14:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
....... i tried to ship a 10/22 via fedex and since i'm not an ffl the only option was overnight at about $100......
View Quote

Neither FedEx  Overnight or UPS Next Day is required for shipping rifles or shotguns............both carriers tariffs clearly permit "Ground".
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Neither FedEx  Overnight or UPS Next Day is required for shipping rifles or shotguns............both carriers tariffs clearly permit "Ground".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
....... i tried to ship a 10/22 via fedex and since i'm not an ffl the only option was overnight at about $100......

When I went to the Fedex place that was the only option they gave me. I even pointed out that ground shipping was an option, but they wouldn't go for it so I left.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

When I went to the Fedex place that was the only option they gave me. I even pointed out that ground shipping was an option, but they wouldn't go for it so I left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rarely will counter clerks (FedEx, UPS or USPS) know every option or shipping regulation for their carrier.
It is always best for you to be more knowledgeable than them............go in armed with a copy of their policy and you'll never get hoodwinked again. FedEx Office locations are company owned and should have plenty of experience shipping guns.

It's not unusual for a counter clerk to "think" they know every rule and regulation. I've found that if showing them their actual policy doesn't work (with applicable rule highlighted)..........ask for a supervisor.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#21]
i dealt with the manager.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Update - kinda
My FFL I've been dealing with wants $20 + (his estimate was $25 for shipping) to ship it to the gunsmith in TX so $45. Then he wants $20 on the back end to "transfer" it back. I'll work with the gunsmith to ship it directly to me.
$45 sounds absurd to me; I'll search out the HTF

Also, what I'm gleaning from Dogtown is that I can put it in my box and ship it myself via fedex for $15 or so and gamble on not having any recourse if something happens...?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Update - kinda
My FFL I've been dealing with wants $20 + (his estimate was $25 for shipping) to ship it to the gunsmith in TX so $45. Then he wants $20 on the back end to "transfer" it back. I'll work with the gunsmith to ship it directly to me.
$45 sounds absurd to me; I'll search out the HTF It's not absurbed when you consider that Overnight/Next Day runs $60 or more.....for USPS that sounds spot on. As far as a transfer fee when it returns?.....You need to find a better FFL.

Also, what I'm gleaning from Dogtown is that I can put it in my box and ship it myself via fedex for $15 or so and gamble on not having any recourse if something happens...? Sure. FedEx denies claims every day.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update - kinda
$45 sounds absurd to me; I'll search out the HTF It's not absurbed when you consider that Overnight/Next Day runs $60 or more.....for USPS that sounds spot on. As far as a transfer fee when it returns?.....You need to find a better FFL.

Also, what I'm gleaning from Dogtown is that I can put it in my box and ship it myself via fedex for $15 or so and gamble on not having any recourse if something happens...? Sure. FedEx denies claims every day.

I guess how I interpreted this thread was an FFL had special privilege to ship a handgun basically in a usps $6 priority flat rate box.

I'm also inferring from the second blue portion that even if I complied with FedEx to the letter of the law, they still might deny it...?

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I guess how I interpreted this thread was an FFL had special privilege to ship a handgun basically in a usps $6 priority flat rate box.

I'm also inferring from the second blue portion that even if I complied with FedEx to the letter of the law, they still might deny it...?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update - kinda

Law says ground is okay. FedEx company policy is that hand guns must go over night.

Legally you can ship it ground, but if anything were to happen to the package and FedEx found out it was a hand gun, they would deny your claim.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update - kinda

Correct. USPS regs permit licensed dealers and manufacturers to mail firearms other than rifles and shotguns (handguns, frames, receivers, AR lowers PGO shotguns and any concealable firearm). You mortals are limited to rifles and shotguns only.

If you fail to abide by USPS regulation you violate Federal law......a felony.
If you violate UPS or FedEx policy you get nada on a claim.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Correct. USPS regs permit licensed dealers and manufacturers to mail firearms other than rifles and shotguns (handguns, frames, receivers, AR lowers PGO shotguns and any concealable firearm). You mortals are limited to rifles and shotguns only.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update - kinda

well I've got enough info to make a decision.
Thanks for your insight
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update - kinda

my ffl ships handguns usps for $16.25.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:41:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update - kinda

And he isn't insuring the package or having adult signature on delivery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top