Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2014 9:26:06 PM EDT
I'm trying to decide which guns to list on my permit. I can only use 3 from the list below:

Ruger LPC (7+1 w/ modified magazine) .380 ACP
S&W M&P Shield 9 (8+1) 9mm
Sig P938 (7+1) 9mm
Beretta 84 (13+1) .380 ACP
Ruger P85 (15+1) 9mm

Which 3 would you pick? Another option would be to sell one or two of the 5 and use the cash to buy something else. I like smaller guns. Perhaps sell one for a Glock 26? I pretty much want the LCP to be one of the 3 guns on the permit.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#1]
What? Is this some weird state law?

A little background would help
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Walther PPS

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:45:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

For People's Republic of Kalifornia use. Only allowed to list 3 guns on the permit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:13:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

For People's Republic of Kalifornia use. Only allowed to list 3 guns on the permit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glock 26

figure out which is more reliable between the 938 and the shield, and carry that too.

I don't now about the third.  I wouldn't have either ruger on the list.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:01:14 AM EDT
[#5]
For double-stacks: Glock 26, M&P9c, and M&P45c
For single-stacks: Walther PPS and M&P Shield

And if I had to narrow it down to the three: M&P9c, PPS, and M&P45c.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:35:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I would put all three of the 9mm's that you have in the OP on the permit.

I'd also work on getting an M&P 9c and replace the Sig with it .
(ETA:    You can easily get a few full size M&P mags and use an X-Grip. )
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:39:09 AM EDT
[#7]
You need a better full size option.

But the Shield and 938 stand out.

I wouldn't want the others, but the LCP would be a distant third.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:48:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I have chosen a true pocket pistol size... LCP
good "commander" size... G23 with Trijicon night sights, but would now change it to a G19... did not like the G26 and 27
G17 or G34 with weapons light for a car/night stand pistol... option for a large caliber wheel gun if you are an outdoors person, and that pistol must be included
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:52:11 AM EDT
[#9]

you need a glock.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:26:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should be restricted to only three fire extinguishers for your house and vehicles as well.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:52:45 AM EDT
[#11]
move
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:14:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
move
View Quote

Let's not assume he isn't working on it and answer his question so he can protect himself now.

Just trying to keep it tech related
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:18:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Shield and the Sig, for number 3 - I'd get something else.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:33:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Shield
M&P9c Glock 17 chopped for 19 mags
Smith 442
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#15]
can you add on guns later?

the only one i'd do is the shield. maybe the LCP as a backup gun in addition
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:13:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You need a better full size option.

But the Shield and 938 stand out.

I wouldn't want the others, but the LCP would be a distant third.
View Quote

Agree 100% with all of this.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Since you stated LCP is one of the three other two I'll suggest the Shield and P85.  These should cover all your bases.  Suggest you trade the P85 for either a G19/17 or Smith M&P.  This would give you a sub compact, compact and full size.

CD
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#18]
None of the above! What you need it to back up and examine the reality of carry- I have been carrying for nearly 30 years. From my perspective you need :
1) a deep cover pocket gun - I use a seecamp but you can insert kel tec lcp etc here
2) compact to sub compact gun when cover garments and weather permit - this is a glock 26 or j frame for me
3) mid to full size gun for cold weather woods walking and such - a k frame or 1911 for me
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:23:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Shield, I have a G27 and the Shield is slimmer, and I have had no issues with it at all. Got a Bladetech (spelling?) iwb holster, good to go.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Reading through here I'm thinking maybe a Glock 19 is a better choice over G26. The CC issue I have with Glock is the thickness due to double stack. Length of barrel is not going to be a big deal. If I add an extension to the magazine on the G26 so I can get a full grip on the gun I guess I might as well just get a G19?

So for now I am leaning with LCP for days that I go out only wearing a Speedo and can carry the LCP in a cell phone case, the Sig or the M&P Shield for most EDC attire, and the G19 for times that I'm wearing a suit or have more loose clothing. I am swapping out the trigger on the LCP. I think with the Hogue rubber grip, pinky extension, and Sweat Pea trigger the LCP will be a decent pocket gun and / or backup to others. So far it has been 100% reliable but feels horrible to shoot.

Not firm on any of this yet and will take a closer look at all recommendations before I make final decision. So keep the advice coming!

I guess I would sell the Beretta 84. It probably has less than 100 rounds through it and still looks like new. I think it would cover the cost of a G19. I'm not up to speed on the various Glock generations. Which gen G19 is the most reliable one?

Someone asked if you can change the guns on the permit later. Yes, but you have to pay about $20 to the sheriff to make a change. You also have to get signed off by a licensed "trainer" that you demonstrated proficiency in shooting the gun. Not sure what that costs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#21]
938, easy to conceal and stupid accurate!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
None of the above! What you need it to back up and examine the reality of carry- I have been carrying for nearly 30 years. From my perspective you need :
1) a deep cover pocket gun - I use a seecamp but you can insert kel tec lcp etc here
2) compact to sub compact gun when cover garments and weather permit - this is a glock 26 or j frame for me
3) mid to full size gun for cold weather woods walking and such - a k frame or 1911 for me
View Quote

This is exacly how I feel to.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm trying to decide which guns to list on my permit. I can only use 3 from the list below:

Sig P938 (7+1) 9mm
Ruger P85 (15+1) 9mm

Which 3 would you pick? Another option would be to sell one or two of the 5 and use the cash to buy something else. I like smaller guns. Perhaps sell one for a Glock 26? I pretty much want the LCP to be one of the 3 guns on the permit.

View Quote

I see a lot of people nameing guns YOU DID NOT LIST. Of the guns you own and listed, I'd list the P-85 (you have pre-ban mags?), M&P shield 9 and LCP. That best matches the criteria of my post above. Of all the guns you listed I only have personal experiance with the LCP.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I see a lot of people nameing guns YOU DID NOT LIST. Of the guns you own and listed, I'd list the P-85 (you have pre-ban mags?), M&P shield 9 and LCP. That best matches the criteria of my post above. Of all the guns you listed I only have personal experiance with the LCP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sig P938 (7+1) 9mm
Ruger P85 (15+1) 9mm

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sig P938 (7+1) 9mm
Ruger P85 (15+1) 9mm

America, reading is for faggots
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sig P938 (7+1) 9mm
Ruger P85 (15+1) 9mm

Team 'merica! FUCK YEAH!
Haters be hatin.
In CA, the only 2 I'd sell is the Sig or S&W because the other 2 have pre ban hi cap mags (?). The S&W is simular to a G26 in size, I think, but yeah, you could feel free to sell those and get a G26. Personally I'd like to see a S&W J frame in there. If you don't want a big high cap gun then maybe register 2 G26s and the LCP.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#27]
LCP for deep concealment
Shield for mid level concealment
Upgrade the full size 9mm - M&P, G-19 / 17, or the like

Those pretty much cover what you'll need.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#28]
What do you guys think of the CZ P-01 9mm for 3rd gun?

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p01/

To minimize sales and keep things simple for now, leaning towards these 3...

1) LCP
2) Sig P938 or M&P Shield 9
3) Undecided (G19, CZ P-01, P85 (I already have with hi cap pre ban mags), Walther PPQ, M&P 9...) So many I really can't decide! I don't like the funky safety on my P85 and it weighs about 10 ounces more than any of the other guns. But I may end up putting it on the permit if I can't get something else or decide in the next 30 days.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top