Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#1]
double tap
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
*snip*

25-2 is also uncommon but the round blows. I wish I had one in .45 ACP instead of LC.

*snip*
View Quote

The 625 in .45acp is pretty sweet. If you don't like the .45 Colt 25-2, you may consider selling one to fund the other.

I wouldn't say .45 Colt "blows" as a cartridge. The commercial market for it sucks, but it has a lot of potential. If you took up reloading, you could make the same "cowboy" loads for cheap, or you could load it up to be a bit more stout. I wouldn't go full nuclear with the S&W, but I'm not sure why you'd need to. 250gr of lead is a hell of a load at any velocity.

Nickel isn't my bag of chips, but I wouldn't mind picking up a .45 Colt M25 if the price and timing was right.

This thread needs pics of some sort.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wouldn't say .45 Colt "blows" as a cartridge. The commercial market for it sucks, but it has a lot of potential. If you took up reloading, you could make the same "cowboy" loads for cheap, or you could load it up to be a bit more stout. I wouldn't go full nuclear with the S&W, but I'm not sure why you'd need to. 250gr of lead is a hell of a load at any velocity.

Nickel isn't my bag of chips, but I wouldn't mind picking up a .45 Colt M25 if the price and timing was right.

View Quote

My .45 Colt has never seen a single round of factory ammo.  A set of reloading dies actually cost less than the least expensive box of .45 Colt ammo.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:30:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I rarely shoot them - maybe once or twice a year. I rarely carry them because I have autos that I am more proficient with. I hardly have any ammo for them, and when I do get some, it costs more than ammo for my autos. You don't find .38SPL, .357MAG, and .45LC for cheap ever.

However, I know that once I do get rid of them, they'll be difficult to replace. One is a factory nickel 4" 25-5 Mountain Gun, the other is a 2.5" 66-2, and the last one (not so hard to replace) is a 1 7/8" 36-10.

They're cool guns to look at, but their utility level is low. Funds would be used towards .308 glass or down payment on a house.
View Quote

I'd keep one or two wheel guns, especially the .45LC... You can load that up for powder puff target practice or past a .44 mag power... I wish I had a Smith & Wesson .45LC...
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#5]
When I say .45LC blows, I don't mean the round is anemic. I mean commercial availability blows for a non-reloader. I honestly don't see the utility of anything greater than .45ACP ballistics for my personal uses.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top