Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2014 2:00:07 PM EDT
I rarely shoot them - maybe once or twice a year. I rarely carry them because I have autos that I am more proficient with. I hardly have any ammo for them, and when I do get some, it costs more than ammo for my autos. You don't find .38SPL, .357MAG, and .45LC for cheap ever.

However, I know that once I do get rid of them, they'll be difficult to replace. One is a factory nickel 4" 25-5 Mountain Gun, the other is a 2.5" 66-2, and the last one (not so hard to replace) is a 1 7/8" 36-10.

They're cool guns to look at, but their utility level is low. Funds would be used towards .308 glass or down payment on a house.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#2]
You should defiantly dump the 2.5" 66-2.  In fact, I feel so strongly about this I would be willing to help you dump it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should defiantly dump the 2.5" 66-2.  In fact, I feel so strongly about this I would be willing to help you dump it.
View Quote

Why, do you want it?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't do it... Unless you dump your 36 in my direction!      
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#5]
No way...in fact you should add a few more
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Never sell guns.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I got rid of all of mine except a classic S&W K17.

I miss the S&W 686-4 the most.  But I think I miss owning more than shooting it.  I also miss the old Colt Police Positive I had just as an example of awesome attention to fit and finish, and the sweet sweet Colt blueing of the era.  But never shot it.

To be realistic, I never shot them except for when I took a new shooter out, or someone who hasn't shot in decades.

I could see myself getting a nice S&W 686 SSR, 625JM, or even a 629, but I'd end up in the same situation as before, never shooting the damn thing.

Maybe I'll go hit the local gun stores this weekend and see if anything catches my interest.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd keep the 66-2.

You want at least one wheel gun.
A Good 357 is a good thing to have.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Never sell guns.
View Quote

Meh.

Life is short.  Sell guns that don't do anything for you, or serve no purpose and get better guns.  This is the path to enlightenment.

Maybe OP should consolidate revolvers.  Sell some revolvers and get a single sweet revolver like an early S&W 29 or a Colt Diamondback.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd keep the 66-2.

You want at least one wheel gun.
A Good 357 is a good thing to have.
View Quote

This is a good point.

If you are only going to have one revolver, the 66 is pretty damn hard to beat.

I'd pick a 6" 686 for my "one" revolver though.   That gives you the additional option of using it for handgun hunting in many states.  And the full lug is nice.

EDIT:  DAMNITALL!  Now I'm on gunbroker and S&W.com shopping.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Meh.

Life is short.  Sell guns that don't do anything for you, or serve no purpose and get better guns.  This is the path to enlightenment.

Maybe OP should consolidate revolvers.  Sell some revolvers and get a single sweet revolver like an early S&W 29 or a Colt Diamondback.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never sell guns.

Meh.

I agree.  I used to say I'd never sell any guns.  Then my daughter was born and I had to start choosing.  I still have more guns than I did when she was born but I have sold alot of guns I didnt really like to fund purchases that realistically just made more sense.  I sold my only revolver because a 357 snubbie was a terrible choice for my wife.  I plan to buy a Ruger GP100 eventually but for now I have no 357/38s
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd hang on to them.

Wheel guns are some of the most fun guns to shoot at the range.
Best part is how easy and cheap they are to reload for. Most shoot cast lead very well. and you don't have to chase your brass.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I rarely shoot them - maybe once or twice a year. I rarely carry them because I have autos that I am more proficient with. I hardly have any ammo for them, and when I do get some, it costs more than ammo for my autos. You don't find .38SPL, .357MAG, and .45LC for cheap ever.

However, I know that once I do get rid of them, they'll be difficult to replace. One is a factory nickel 4" 25-5 Mountain Gun, the other is a 2.5" 66-2, and the last one (not so hard to replace) is a 1 7/8" 36-10.

They're cool guns to look at, but their utility level is low. Funds would be used towards .308 glass or down payment on a house.
View Quote

I have also been considering selling my wheel guns, but everytime I take them out of the safe to look at, I fall back in love with them.  There's just something about the beautiful blue finish on my Smith Model 27 that I can't let it go.  The only one I might get rid of is the Model 36 since you could easily replace it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been considering doing the same thing. I have fired 50 rounds with my revolvers in the last two years. Just don't feel like holding on to them lately.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd probably keep the Mountain Gun and the 66.  

The 36 isn't too hard to replace if you really need one, but I'e never really liked snubies since I can shoot a self loader so much better, and auto's conceal better.

If you don't handload, then keeping a wheelgun in .45 Colt is simply crazy, since you can buy a press and dies for what a couple boxes of ammo cost.  If you don't ever intend to handload then I'd think hard about selling the .45 Colt and buying something else as a woods gun, such as a .44 or .41 Magnum.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I sold off most of my semi-autos. I'm more interested in revolvers these days, especially single actions.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:51:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Learn to reload ammo supply problem solved
With proper application of fundamentals they will be more accurate and reliable than the typical auto.
Trouble these days is very few people ever learn how to really run one well.
On typical idpa style shooting at my club I can generally run faster and more accurately than an auto but I grew up with the wheel gun.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:34:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been buying more wheelies then slidee's lately. Most of them are older, none are hillery hole types.

Not really impressed with the quality of smaller CCW semi's as of late. Lots of "cool" designs but long term quality seems to be pretty "meh" on many of them.

I enjoy the feel and function of a high quality mechanical object and a nice older revolver fits that bill nicely. The newer stuff may work just fine but they are like a 2x4, you see one, you've seen them all.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:32:49 AM EDT
[#20]
>>Life is short. Sell guns that don't do anything for you, or serve no purpose and get better guns. This is the path to enlightenment.<<

I agree! My guns come and go, and rarely do I regret selling one. There's no sense in hanging on to something you've lost interest in, and that applies to a whole lot of guns over the past 50 years.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:42:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:51:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Do what you feel is best. But, a side note. I'm always in the market for a good deal.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:52:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Never sell ever guns.
View Quote

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:53:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Why, do you want it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why, do you want it?

I'd be very interested in that 66...
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:54:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Keep the .357. Sell the others to get what you want.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#27]
As time goes on, your interest will shift back towards them. Hold on to them.

If you really want to enjoy revolvers, start reloading.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As time goes on, your interest will shift back towards them. Hold on to them.

If you really want to enjoy revolvers, start reloading.
View Quote

Yep, I sold off mine many years ago and kick myself in the arse every time I think about it.  I sold some nice ones...............Troopers, MK IIIs,  686s, ect.

About 5 years ago I got back into them, 4 and 5 screws, Pythons, Match Police, Diamondbacks, Masterpieces, 34s, ect. Wish I would have never sold the others off.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I couldn't do it, but then again, I have a full on addiction to revolvers. I'd sacrifice almost all of my semiauto pistols and some of my long guns before I let go of my revolvers. They are my absolute favorite guns to shoot at the range.

The solution really is to reload. Revolvers are the easiest firearms to reload, and the have perhaps the most potential. Because you don't have to concern yourself with cycling, you can use a broad range of projectiles on top of charges that are mild to wild. An added benefit of revolvers is that you don't need to chase the brass that's well preserved in the cylinder, and you'll most likely fire fewer rounds per range trip.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#30]
just curious if you sell guns and later find your guns are used to commit crime, wouldn't that come back to haunt you?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:36:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:10:44 AM EDT
[#33]
I sold all my revolvers years ago.  I don't miss them.

I'd keep the J-frame and sell the others.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:26:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Let me help how about $600 for all three guns!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:04:12 AM EDT
[#35]
I would keep them, my wheel gun acquisitions seem to be outnumbering my semi-autos lately.  

But if you do decide to dump the 36, keep me in mind...  
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
just curious if you sell guns and later find your guns are used to commit crime, wouldn't that come back to haunt you?
View Quote

I sold a car once.  2 or 3 owners down the road, that car T-boned a little old lady who was properly crossing a green light.

Using your logic, I should be haunted by my decision to sell that car.  Really, I am not.

It is the owner that commits a crime, (even if that owner is illegal). Not the former owner.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol what?

Do you really consider this yourself?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Don't sell guns that are not easily replaceable. For example, I would sell a Glock if I wanted something else. You can find another Glock at any gun store in the US. I would not sell a revolver not made anymore, because you will regret it and not be able to find another one.

Just my .02c
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Never sell guns.
View Quote

Like a car or many other things , you take a big hit if you buy and sell often. . This goes double if you are going through a dealer.  I don't mean to dump on dealers but they need to make a profit to stay in operation.

To the OPs opinion that revolvers are too expensive to buy ammo for- If you aren't reloading to feed a bunch of revolvers you are not really doing it right .

I have all different types of guns and over the years for one reason or another one type gets stuffed in back of the safe for a while but at some point I reach back there and drag that type out and have a blast with them again .
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#40]
The last three of four handguns I purchased were wheel guns: (1) Colt King Cobra 4"; (2) a Colt Lawman Mark III 2"; and (3) a S&W Model 28 4" five screw model built in 1954. The fit and finish is better than any Glock, Sig, Browning, H&K,  Beretta, or any S&W Auto I own.  I carry two Glocks for work, but my next purchase will be a Model 66 2.5" barrel gun. There is a beauty of a wheel gun that an auto (except 1911) cannot replicate. Plus every revolver I ever fired went "bang" every time I pulled the triggers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:29:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Hard for anyone to say what someone else should do; I am on the side of those who say if you don't use it and aren't interested in one moce it and get something you want. Now having said that telling someone to sell that 2.5" 66-2 is pretty hard for me to do!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:25:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Of the three, my 66-2 is my favorite to shoot and that would probably go last.
25-2 is also uncommon but the round blows. I wish I had one in .45 ACP instead of LC.
36-10 has a Hillary hole but besides that it looks so classy in blued and wood...

I carry my revolvers when I get bored or want to mix it up a little. It's probably not a wise idea since I never, ever train with them. Then again, 99.9% of the carrying population doesn't train at all so I might still be slightly ahead.

Selling my Glock 17 would be silly because I only have one and that is my go-to gun. It's also my only 9mm and 9mm is my main training cartridge for handgun. I carry this gun as often as feasibly possible.
Don't want to sell USP Tactical because that's my only .45 ACP suppressor host, and is the only .45 ACP gun I have that I would trust in terms of reliability. I use this gun to gain cool points and impress FPS gameers.
Don't want to sell my MC Operator because I just got it and it's my only 1911. I use this gun for fast split times.
Don't want to sell my Sig P238 because that's my only true pocket gun. I carry this thing everywhere I can't carry my G17 because it's convenient and small gun > no gun.

I buy all of my guns cheap so I know I will at least break even on them. However, the search of finding another will suck. I always buy deals when I see them, regardless if I actually want the gun.

I think I'm going to hold onto them for now. I don't need an extra $1200-1400 that bad.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:28:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The last three of four handguns I purchased were wheel guns: (1) Colt King Cobra 4"; (2) a Colt Lawman Mark III 2"; and (3) a S&W Model 28 4" five screw model built in 1954. The fit and finish is better than any Glock, Sig, Browning, H&K,  Beretta, or any S&W Auto I own.  I carry two Glocks for work, but my next purchase will be a Model 66 2.5" barrel gun. There is a beauty of a wheel gun that an auto (except 1911) cannot replicate. Plus every revolver I ever fired went "bang" every time I pulled the triggers.
View Quote

I have owned, and seen other revolvers that went out of time. I honestly have more confidence in a gun fight with 6 rounds in my G17 than 6 rounds in my 66-2.

But yes, I agree revolvers do have "personality" and are more aesthetically pleasing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Let me ask you a question. Are the guns costing you anything? Do they add to the rent / mortgage? Do they require regular feeding? Then the answer is no.

Besides last I've checked they (S&W) don't make a 66 2.5" anymore, so good luck finding one if you ever decide you want one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Sell em
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sell em
View Quote

says the interested buyer
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I have owned, and seen other revolvers that went out of time. I honestly have more confidence in a gun fight with 6 rounds in my G17 than 6 rounds in my 66-2. But yes, I agree revolvers do have "personality" and are more aesthetically pleasing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have owned, and seen other revolvers that went out of time. I honestly have more confidence in a gun fight with 6 rounds in my G17 than 6 rounds in my 66-2. But yes, I agree revolvers do have "personality" and are more aesthetically pleasing.

This is why you should sell them . They will go out of time from lack of use .
Better to sell them and put toward more semi-autos or .308 glass
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote

Revolvers cannot go out of time from lack of use. They go out of time due to wear and tear on parts, usually the hand or cylinder ratchet.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Revolvers cannot go out of time from lack of use. They go out of time due to wear and tear on parts, usually the hand or cylinder ratchet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.................WHOOSH!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#50]
take mountain gun
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top