Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2014 10:19:33 AM EDT
I heard that Cali has a new law "just what we need" that all hand guns must have micro stamping tech in the gun that marks the brass with the guns serial number? Is this true if so hasn't it occurred to our pin headed politicians " politician what a dirty word" that they have made it easier for criminals to get away with murder? They could go to the range pick up someones brass and frame them for the crime. Who makes guns with this tech? I suspect and hope know one. Will this law apply to police? If it doesn't how in the hell do they get away with this totally crooked bull shit legislation?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#1]
This has been talked about for years.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Image Police finding a reloaded piece of brass at a crime scene that has been reloaded by 10 people and fired in ten guns.    Course the criminal could always file down the markings.  Local LE should purchase the guns first to pay the gun companies set up of this NEW technology.

CD

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]

I think it was NRA news "Cam & Company" sevral months ago where thay were talking about this. The gun mfg's said the gun cost would be 3 or 4 time more expensive
than it is now and the gun mfg's dont plan on doing this and Cali wont get any new guns in the state if this law is passed.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:44:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think it was NRA news "Cam & Company" sevral months ago where thay were talking about this. The gun mfg's said the gun cost would be 3 or 4 time more expensive
than it is now and the gun mfg's dont plan on doing this and Cali wont get any new guns in the state if this law is passed.
View Quote

Well I'm sure this is what the to government of California wants.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:13:06 AM EDT
[#5]
This really isn't "news".  This has been coming at us for a while.

If it is news, please get lined up with NRA-ILA updates sent to you at the very least.   It is important info.

As far as how effective this will be..... It won't.   This serves the same purpose as the ballistic sampling that many states currently require.  They have yet to solve a crime despite CSI episodes being testament to how effective it is.    The effectiveness doesn't matter as it serves two purposes for the antis:

1.  Politically appealing "Hollywood" solution to show constituents.

2.  Create or expand state beurocratic mechanism between gun manufacturers and consumers.

NRA is way off on how much it would expand cost.  They are so far off that it hurts credibility.   But that isnt the reason we don't want it.   Poorly worded gun law  never is able to address legitimate exceptions as it has been pointed out with reloaded ammo, private sales, revolvers, etc.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:20:42 AM EDT
[#6]
The micro stamp idea is about as impractical as gun bracelets that are supposed to ensure that only authorized owners of the weapons can fire it.  

1. Gun manufacturers won't do it as customers could not afford it, and they certainly won't do it just for the CA market;

2. If it ever became law, the millions of existing guns in the state or nation as a whole would just become more valuable;

3. if the government outlawed those older guns, it still won't take them out of the hands of criminals, who don't mind breaking the law already; and

4. if by some means the government successfully confiscated the millions of guns already in CA or the US as a whole, it would just create an incredibly lucrative market for smuggling in illegal arms for criminals (remember how well prohibition worked).  Given that we can't even keep illegals, out, we certainly can't keep guns from crossing our borders.

Any way you slice it, no matter how good these ideas sound to the non thinking, non gun public, criminals maintain access to firearms and honest laws biding citizens lose access to them.  

-----

I've considered starting a rumor about a proposed bill in CA where they require a miniature digital camera in the base of each bullet aimed backwards so that it then takes a picture of the shooter so that police can recover the image file with the bullet.  It could probably be done for maybe $200 per round, or just $1,600 for a fully loaded low capacity 7+1 self defense pistol.

Of course...I've never followed through with this as the PRK politicians might think it's a good idea.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:40:14 AM EDT
[#7]
c'mon guys, don't you realize all the criminals will turn in their illegal handguns and purchase these new microstamping handguns???

fucking feinstein... never mind one of the biggest anti-gun legislators Yi was arrested for GUN RUNNING...
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I really wish ALL gun manufacturers had the balls to just flat out refuse to sell ANY guns to ANY California agency. As long as LAPD, CHP, etc can get their guns they will sit by sublimely while the legislature passes BS laws like this.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#9]
The micro stamping would be done by the firing pin, so the stamp would be on the primer which is not reusable.

This is just a bullshit backdoor pistol ban that CA politicians got away with.  Since no company is going to invest in the technology to accomplish micro stamping, no new pistols will be approved by the CA approvals board.  The current list is all that will ever be on it.  Anytime a manufacturer makes any change (i.e. color) to an approved gun, it will need to be resubmitted for approval which it will not get due to the lack of micro stamping. Within 10 years, this will amount to a total ban on handguns since there will be nothing left on the "CA approved" list.

I'm actually amazed that there hasn't been much outcry about this.  My guess is that people haven't really comprehended the significance of this law yet.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#10]
This also came up in New York last year, and Maryland a few years ago.  The main issue is that the "microstamping" technology is patented by only 1 company (who has been lobbying furiously for these laws) and that mandating it would basically be a giant windfall.  There is no market for the technology, so they are trying to legislate the market.  In Maryland the legislators had barely enough good sense to realize that their OTHER genius idea - ballistic fingerprinting of cartridge cases - hadn't solved a single crime but they were spending $1M/year on it.

It's similar to when California almost passed a law requiring a very specific type of brake on all consumer saws.  Turns out the law was written around a proprietary brake and the owners licensing fees were astronomical, like $50/unit or something like that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I've made comments a few times lately in regards to how CA is the only place where you can sue for and win millions in frivulious cases and I always get people (likely from CA) saying BULLSHIT, it's like that everywhere................ um, NO! It's not like that everywhere!
The post above got me on the subject (saw brake). Only in California could a guy go buy a chainsaw, hurt him self with it and sue for and win like $10million! (for like loseing a finger) Bitch that sued McDonolds over spilling coffee in her lap, won like a million dollars. That was in CA, right? My dad worked for a big company down there, he said there was a case were some people were cleaning their garage floor with GASOLINE and the pilot light on the water heater ignited the gasoline fumes, well several people got burned pretty bad, the thing is when it went to court they sued the gas company, the gas station, manufacturer of the water heater, even the company that made the match that was used to light the pilot light. Yep, the match company had to pay out on that law suit. By contrast in the state I live in now, a guy got killed a while back, someone backed over him at work, it went to court, his wife sued for $1million, the driver was found not liable because "he couldn't see the guy". Huh. I was always taught to Get Out And Look before backing up if you can't see.
I'm surprised any company will even ship anything to CA! California is like the most rediculious place on earth.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Think of the full auto horror that will occur with all those firing pins getting filed down.

Say no to micro-stamping,  for the children!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Odd that anyone would bother with discussions of implementation or technology considerations.

The California politicians know this won't be implemented.  It's merely another way to try to circumvent the 2nd amendment with a gun ban.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Odd that anyone would bother with discussions of implementation or technology considerations.

The California politicians know this won't be implemented.  It's merely another way to try to circumvent the 2nd amendment with a gun ban.
View Quote

And to get major "progressive cool points"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top