Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2014 7:41:50 PM EDT
I'm looking around at the sub compact 9mm's for carry (IWB).  I would say I'm a Glock guy (19, 34, 20 w/ KKM .40 conversion bbl all gen4).  Also have an Interarms Walther PPK .380.  I've been eyeballing the Glock 26, Sig P938 (9mm) and the Kahrs CM9 & CW9.  The Glock 26 would be the ideal addition to the family with magazines from the G19/G34 being able to be used and all the experience of the others...not to mention its reliability and accuracy.  But the thing is thicker then the others.  I don't think it will conceal as well as the others with Texas being a hot state where shorts and tshirts are the norm much of the year.  I don't own any Sig's, but I've always considered them a quality handgun and the choice of many professionals.  The P938 feels well in the hand with more weight then the others...I can imagine this extra weight making it easier to shoot.  The only downside I see with it is its higher price...is it worth it?  The Kahr's...good size for sure, thin compared to the G26 and easy to carry.  Low price, but maybe some sacrafice?  after being used to the Glock trigger, the Kahr sounds like a drastic change...and how are follow up shots with that long Kahr trigger pull?  I believe the Kahr and Sig come with only one mag compared to the G26's three...I guess something easily fixed with a little more $$.

There are a couple ways to look at this.  What is the best bang for the buck and just what is the best(within reason).  A couple others I might be curious about...Nano and SCCY.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a g22 and g23 for range and carry during colder months and a CW9 for summer.  I like you thought about another glock because of the mags.  I traded a pf9 for this kahr and love it.  Yes the trigger is long but very smooth and accurate.  Doesn't have a reset like a glock so it takes some practice to be able to shoot it fast.  I pulled mine out of the safe after its winter nap last week and shot it better than my glocks.  Would def recommend giving one a try.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 9:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the comments on the CW9...which is the bigger of the Kahr's.  I had been looking back and forth between CM9 and CW9 with the CM9 looking it could go into the pocket easily.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Carry a 26 daily no problem with a Comptac Minotaur (and i am a thin guy). No experience with any other listed except my dad and brother carry p238's daily.

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:43:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a G26 and a PM9, unless it is very hot weather the G26 gets the duty along with either a 12 or 15 round mag as backup ( I run flush for carry). I run mine in a Fist #1AK "thin kydex" holster at 3:30-4:00 and it is very comfortable for all day carry and one handed re-holstering is easy and safe. Plus the belt clip they use will not pull off when you don't want it to.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 6:03:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I just went through this last month. I've carried a G26 for years (backup and off duty for my PD job) and, overall, loved it. Many thousands of rounds with no trouble at all and I had compatibility with my other Glocks.

My only real problem was that the G26 was so thick. It shot very well, but didn't carry the best in the world sometimes for me. For example, for backup when on duty, I carry in a holster on my body armor under my weak arm. The G26 was so thick that it would rub on the inside of my upper arm and would tend to get somewhat uncomfortable by the end of my 10 hr shift. When carried off duty, it would occasionally print during the summer when wearing just a t-shirt.

Last month, I bought a S&W Shield in 9mm. Night and day difference in carrying between the Shield and G26. Although the Shield is pretty much the same length and height, the difference in the thickness is absolutely amazing. The Shield carries so much better than the G26 it is absolutely amazing. The Shield does not rub on my arm when on duty and it is so thin that it disappears under just a t-shirt when off duty. The trigger, on mine anyway, is very Glock-like, with a very distinct audible and tactile reset in just about the same place as my Glocks, making the transition easy. The trigger is a little heavier than my Glocks, but other than that it is very similar. On mine, the thumb safety is so stiff that I can't ever see it getting accidentally applied and causing an issue.

If I were you, I'd also include the Shield in what you are looking for. If it doesn't work for you when you get it in your hand, OK, but I'd at least hold and dry fire one and see. I can't say enough good about the Shield. S&W really hit a home run with the Shield and I can understand now why they were/are so hard to find. I really wasn't happy at first about another gun type/brand, different magazines, etc. But it had turned out to be really a non-issue and it works really well.

Bub75
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 6:55:17 AM EDT
[#6]
You already are trained on Glocks. You already have magazines. Your other 9mm Glocks can be stripped for parts if something breaks on your carry gun while you are waiting for replacement parts to come in the mail. I carry a Glock 19 or 26 everyday. T shirt, shorts, INCOG awib, no problem. The good thing is that your training on your other guns will carry over to this one so proficiency should come quickly. I like that I have a 17 round reload for my 26 that has 11 rounds in it. For capacity it is hard to beat.

Edit: If Glock 26 were not an option and I felt like I had to have a single stack gun, it would be a Walther PPS or a SW Shield. I own a Kahr CM9 for occasional pocket carry, but don't really like it enough for it to be my primary carry gun. It is smaller than any other 9mm I have messed with, for what that is worth.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Keep it comming guys.  I don't make a decision until I've been crushed with all the information and the obvious choice is revealed.  Buy once, cry once can be painfull.  I like that my Glock brothers are trying to keep me from straying...believe me, I've looked at and held that G26 and it pains me greatly that I have not already slapped down my $ and been done with it with another Glock in the arsenal.  I don't know why at the gun show yesterday, I didn't pay much attention to the S&W Shield...maybe it just didn't excite me.  But based on the posted story and a couple youtube videos, the Shield is now in the race and may have taken the lead over the Khar's.  It may be that acceptable compromise for a Glock guy needing a thin, sub compact 9mm carry.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Go with the 26. You already are heavily invested in Glocks and I assume you have a lot of mags for your 19/34 that can be used in the 26. Good luck with your decision.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I know you said 9mm.. I have a lcp I just cant part with because it feels so good to carry.. ive got a cm9 that would almost pocket carry
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Just held the shield, cw9, & the lc9 today at my lgs, the shield and cw9 felt the best. The shield had the best trigger but I need to shoot all three first before I can make the call. Any who I'm in the same boat looking for a light summer gun under $400. If you can swing it I'm sure the sig is a good shooter, I have the p229 & p226 and their the sweetest shooters I own. Make sure you shoot it first though because it is $$$ compared to the others.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just held the shield, cw9, & the lc9 today at my lgs, the shield and cw9 felt the best. The shield had the best trigger but I need to shoot all three first before I can make the call. Any who I'm in the same boat looking for a light summer gun under $400. If you can swing it I'm sure the sig is a good shooter, I have the p229 & p226 and their the sweetest shooters I own. Make sure you shoot it first though because it is $$$ compared to the others.
View Quote

The 938 is not in the same ball park as the 229 and 226. Different mechanisms and designs. Trigger is not my favorite. I have and like the 226.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The 938 is not in the same ball park as the 229 and 226. Different mechanisms and designs. Trigger is not my favorite. I have and like the 226.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know, I've never even held one.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:18:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Take a look at the Bersa BP9. Supposed to have an amazing trigger and short, definitive reset.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Shield 9mm.  

Leave the safety off and forget its there.  After that, just think Glock on a diet.  Fine ccw gun in the hot.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#15]
None of my favorite small 9mm guns really fit in a pocket--the PPS, the Shield, the G26, etc.  While this isn't a deal-breaker, it sure is nice to be able to throw it in there for a quick trip--the Shield did it the best.  But the G26 and many others aren't much smaller than a G19--especially if you throw on a pinky extender, which I generally did.

I loved the P9, but sold it when I got greedy and wanted the smaller PM9.  Later got other guns, and really liked the Shield.  It was just a tad bulky and didn't like the safety even though I knew it probably wouldn't turn on by itself (though some have reported that--I'm sure I could mod / remove it if I really wanted to).

So far the P9 has been my favorite, but I can retrofit a CW9 to be almost as good for a lot less.  It seems thinner (especially in the grip!!) than the Shield or PPS and is WAY thinner than the G26.  Even though mine's been 100%, I still trust the other three companies to be more reliable (my PM9 had fail-to-reset issues).
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:37:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm going through the same thing; I'm a Glock guy, love everything about them except the thickness for summertime carry.

I currently have a Kahr CM9 on my side and yes the trigger takes some getting used to if you're used to shooting a Glock. As mentioned above, the triggers are smooth and consistent, but I like the short reset of the Glock. The nearest I could find to a Glock trigger, in an easier to conceal package is the Walter PPS. They are reliable, wickedly accurate and have the Glock-like trigger you seek.

Now back to the Glocks; you aren't gaining anything by purchasing a G26 if you have a G19. The G19 will conceal just as well, while providing more magazine capacity, longer sight radius and a full grip. Search for pics where a G26 is laid directly on top of a G19, there is not much of a difference. I owned two G19s and a G26......I now have three G19s.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:54:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm going through the same thing; I'm a Glock guy, love everything about them except the thickness for summertime carry.

I currently have a Kahr CM9 on my side and yes the trigger takes some getting used to if you're used to shooting a Glock. As mentioned above, the triggers are smooth and consistent, but I like the short reset of the Glock. The nearest I could find to a Glock trigger, in an easier to conceal package is the Walter PPS. They are reliable, wickedly accurate and have the Glock-like trigger you seek.

Now back to the Glocks; you aren't gaining anything by purchasing a G26 if you have a G19. The G19 will conceal just as well, while providing more magazine capacity, longer sight radius and a full grip. Search for pics where a G26 is laid directly on top of a G19, there is not much of a difference. I owned two G19s and a G26......I now have three G19s.
View Quote

While for the most part you are right.  There are plenty of times where the 26 does a better job for concealment than my 19.  There are a lot of times where I could carry the 19, but with a tighter t shirt, the 26 gets the nod.  Options are nice.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 5:28:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I've owned the G26, P938 and CM9. I didn't like the 938 it's just not your typical 1911. The Glock is well a Glock like you know. The Kahr is nice in that extended mags fit the hand better and it can be pocket carried. The trigger is long but manageable. The Shield get a lot of attention but I don't like one sided safeties as I'm ambidextrous. The Nano feels too blocky and the Sccy might as well be a Keltec. I have shot a friends Bersa BP9 and it's the size of a CW9 and has a nice trigger. For me I prefer the CM9 in an Alessi Talon and when in a pair of gym shorts I put in a 6rd mag in pocket holster and it rides fine.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Glock 26 has my vote.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#20]
G26

Or...........an old S&W 3913 or 3954
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I've been around the block on this for years.

Carried my G26 IWB for years, carried fine in a ultra thin kydex holster from fist-inc

Thought it was too blocky then went Kahrs, tried the nano, small keltec for pocket carry.......

Decided with pocket carry my weapon draw isn't fast enough vs IWB, couldn't trust the kahrs I owned due to reliability issues with two of them, the nano was nice but didn't carry well for me, keltec couldn't stand the trigger pull.

so sold them all off and went back to my 14 year old G26 which has never failed on me....ever

full circle lol
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Here are my thoughts so far.

- Shield - Trying to find one to handle.  Love the design & lots of positive feedback.  Top of the list.  A little large compared to pocket pistols...so may not work well with spandex.  So far prefer it to similar XDS and PPS.

- Kahrs - CM9/CW9 and their more expensive twins.  As  much as Glocks, I see a lot of passionate lobbying by the Kahr owners.  Clean, handsome design, great sizes.  For some reason, they just don't excite me like Glocks excite me.  Maybe its the trigger, maybe if the P* line was closer in price to the C* line and I could justify going PM9/P9.

- Kel-tec PF9 - I handled a Ruger LC9 today and thought wow, not too big, not too small...just right.  Right in between Sheild/XDS/PPS and the CM9/PM9/P938.  Could still get a good grip on it, but looked easier to carry then the Shield size.  That took me to the similar sized Kel-tec PF9 which I think I prefer at this size.  So, could the PF9 unseat the Shield?  Currently, watching every Shield vs PF9 video I can find.  Still prefer the shield, but size matters.

- Glock 26 - If it joins the club, it will only be for a winter carry under more clothes...but it knows its my favorite.

- Sig P938 - More money and tiny.  Having a Shield and a P938 and a person could carry with any outfit.  Spandex would be an option!
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#23]
If you want pocket carry in 9mm then look at either a Diamondback DB9 or Kahr CM9

If you want IWB then Shield, PPS, or BP9 as all are slim with good triggers.

I had a PF9 back when it was one of the only options for a slim, small 9mm. It is not a pocket gun. It was great when I had it, but there are much better options now (see above). Ruger LC9 is a copy of that so strike that as well.

Don't get a G26 if you have a G19. Just carry to G19.

My two cents
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I love glocks but the 26 is too thick for me to comfortably carry iwb. Tried a cm9 and hated the trigger. If you are used to a glock trigger, the double action cm9 is tough to get used to. I ended up with the sig p938. I love it
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I went with the Shield.  I liked the thinness and the design looked clean and not lego like or with not oo many gadgets.  I also like the trigger pull which to me was close enough to the feel of my Glocks.  Based off reviews, it also seemed solid and reliable.  I thought hard on the Kahrs…great looking gun….nice traditional look and a good price too for the budget models.  But the trigger just seemed too different then the Glock.  I still wonder if I will get a pocket size pistol later.  But, I went ahead and got an FNS-9 first which is going in the other size direction.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Love my sig 938, stupid accurate, easy to shoot. All my friends want one after 2 rounds out of mine.

Looks like I was late to this party pics?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#27]
g26 vote here.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Shot a S&W Shield the other day, didn't care for the trigger.
I'll stick with my Glocks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top