Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2014 3:45:35 PM EDT
Up to this point I have dabbled in IDPA. ( 6 matches over a 2 year period )
I enjoy this , and want to devote more time , money and resources into getting better.

I know part of this will be sticking to mainly one gun , please help me choose . At this point I have shot matches with all except the Sig at least one time ( I don't have a holster for the P226)

1. XDm 5.25 9mm
2. Glock ( 19 or 23 )
3. Sig P226 9mm
4. Ruger SR 1911 commander

Also , if you answer please suggest a holster / mag carrier . Part of this decision will encompass getting a new carry rig for the chosen pistol.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends, do you do it for training or do you get competitive about it?  If it is just for training, I would go with the compact Glock or the 1911, since those are what seems to be the easiest to carry.  If you are just doing it for fun, or are really trying to compete, I would go with which ever you shoot the best.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Shoot what you carry!!
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
It's already been said:  run what you carry.

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you want to win, or run your carry rig? If you want to win I would run the XD 5.25 in a OWB BT or CT holster with CT mag holders.   I rarely see people win using their carry rig.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 4:03:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I use my Springfield "Loaded" 1911 holstered in a Minotaur M-Tac holster with a Beltman Bullhide belt with the internal stiffener... I carry this setup in late fall, all winter, and early spring... I carry an M&P40c with a M-Tac holster and same belt the rest of the year. It's a great combo with each pistol... I've yet to run IDAP with the M&P40c though. Maybe I should start rotating them...
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:05:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm a little confused with your list.  Why are you considering the competition XDm and a compact Glock?  Both platforms have compact, full size, and competition models.  

The first answer nailed it.  If you are shooting IDPA as training, get what you can comfortably carry.  If you are shooting to compete, get a full size or competition gun.

I shoot a lot of Steel Challenge.  The most popular pistols that I see are XDm 5.25's, Glock 17 and 34s, and 1911s.  If I was buying my first pistol, I would buy a Glock 17.  I love what a Glock is (a utilitarian tool), but I could never warm up to the grip angle (too different from what I was used to).
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a little confused with your list.  Why are you considering the competition XDm and a compact Glock?  Both platforms have compact, full size, and competition models.  

The first answer nailed it.  If you are shooting IDPA as training, get what you can comfortably carry.  If you are shooting to compete, get a full size or competition gun.

I shoot a lot of Steel Challenge.  The most popular pistols that I see are XDm 5.25's, Glock 17 and 34s, and 1911s.  If I was buying my first pistol, I would buy a Glock 17.  I love what a Glock is (a utilitarian tool), but I could never warm up to the grip angle (too different from what I was used to).
View Quote

I believe he just listed pistols he owns.  But I'll x3 the sentiment above: run what you carry.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I too have shot a couple of IDPA matches (and plan on shooting more this year) and I would use what you would be carrying on every day basis. Like other posters have mentioned find something your comfortable with and go with that. Some shoot the "match" to win others use it as a training tool to desensitize themselves to stressful situations. The couple of matches I shot I saw shooters shoot the match with the latest and greatest gun/gear but when they leave they put on their everyday gun.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Of those choices I would use G19 in a OWB Blade tech holster.  I use a G34 in same holster.  I usually carry a G27 through.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I shoot IDPA and here is how I see it. If you are doing it for the gaming aspect shoot the XDM 5.25. It is a gun designed for that. If you are doing it for CCW skills then shoot what you carry.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I shoot IDPA and here is how I see it. If you are doing it for the gaming aspect shoot the XDM 5.25. It is a gun designed for that. If you are doing it for CCW skills then shoot what you carry.
View Quote

+1

It all depends on what you want to get out of IDPA.  Play the game to win or use the game as good shoot/move/reloading practice?

Oddly for myself, I opted to use more "gamer" type guns for IDPA (full size 1911 or 5" M&P Pro) and as such become more proficient with those guns, and as a result, moved them into my EDC carry use as well since I trust myself with them more than my smaller, easier to carry options.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#12]
XDM is what I'd pick.  Mine are very accurate, easy to shoot, quick to reload.  I go back and forth between the XDM and M&P for USPSA Production.  

I have a G-Code OWB holster that works about as well as anything.  I started shooting IDPA with Uncle Mike's mag pouches and see no reason to change them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:27:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks to that replied.
Yes the odd mix of pistols is basically my core mix of handguns that I shoot pretty well.
I own and will carry each of the pistols at various times , the larger pistols I will wear under  jackets .
I actually carry Glock most of the time in an IWB

My goal is to be a little more competitive.
At Saturdays match for example , I ran the last stage at 25 secs ( zero down ) while the top tier shooters ran that stage in about 16.5 secs. I was the scorekeeper

I starting to figure out the old saying " slow is smooth , and smooth is fast " can be misleading . SLOW is still SLOW
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:39:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My goal is to be a little more competitive.

You're either competitive or not, there's no middle ground.  
I starting to figure out the old saying " slow is smooth , and smooth is fast " can be misleading . SLOW is still SLOW

It's not misleading, it sounds like you just have a long way to go till you've felt it.  

View Quote
Being competitive doesn't mean you have to go all crazy with gear and training.
But it does mean training harder than your normally would, and then working towards a wall in skill and busting through to the next level.
Being competitive (even a "little bit more") in IDPA means leaning the game.
The XDM is your best choice out of the list.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:58:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Glock 34 or other sim type pistol.

All kydex holster like bladetech and 2 single mag carriers
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:20:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I shoot IDPA and don't shoot with my carry.  Shoot with the gun you are most comfortable with.  From a
tactical view of IDPA the skills that you learn with your XDM will certainly carry over to your every day carry.
I don't see myself, in real life, taking 15 yard shots at texas stars.  IDPA will teach you how to control your
adrenaline and IMO that may be the most important skill to master.  You will also learn to stay on your front
sight which is the second most important skill you will learn.  But in the end, it is just damn fun to do.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:52:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Run what you carry but of that list the P226 then the 19 in that order.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:03:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Personally I'd sell the XDm and get a G34.  Out of what you have, I'd use the G19.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:19:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't forget your fishing vest.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:21:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Shoot which ever one you shoot the fastest, because fast wins.

IDPA is retarded as fuck, but I still enjoy it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:03:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Personally I'd sell the XDm and get a G34.  Out of what you have, I'd use the G19.
View Quote

This is what I would suggest also.  If you carry the G19 most, but want to be more competitive, the G17 or G34 will be a better "gamer" platform while still providing training for your carry gun.  Using the XDm will be counter-productive unless you trade your G19 for an XD compact.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Up to this point I have dabbled in IDPA. ( 6 matches over a 2 year period )
I enjoy this , and want to devote more time , money and resources into getting better.

I know part of this will be sticking to mainly one gun , please help me choose . At this point I have shot matches with all except the Sig at least one time ( I don't have a holster for the P226)

1. XDm 5.25 9mm
2. Glock ( 19 or 23 )
3. Sig P226 9mm
4. Ruger SR 1911 commander

Also , if you answer please suggest a holster / mag carrier . Part of this decision will encompass getting a new carry rig for the chosen pistol.
View Quote

Why focus on one?  If you carry more than one rotate them for matches.  You are not there to get brownie points and operator patches, you are going to put all of your practice together in a simulated shoot.

I wont suggest a mag holster or carrier, I never used one.  My mags were in my pocket, as they are on any given day, and my mag pouch is my tucked in under shirt.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you want to win, go with the XDM, a kydex belt holster (like Comptac or Bladetec), and the plastic/kydex double mag holder of your choice. If you really think you can overcome the competitive urge and just use it as training, shoot what you carry most.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#24]
What do you shoot better? The 1911 is going to put you in a different class, and if you're competitive, the Commander size will not be beneficial. In the stock gun class, the XD, Sig and Glock 19 are all going to be fine. I see a lot of people using midsize Glocks and Sig 229 sized guns and they compete without a problem. However, most people that dedicate a gun strictly to competition will use a 5" Glock 34, M&P Pro, etc, which your XDm would fall into.

I like the Sig-Tac carriers, used to be iTac, they are good double mag carriers for OWB. Adjustable tension, and paddle-style so you don't have to remove your belt to put it on, which is handy.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I've only shot USPSA and I'm one match into my second season, so take this with a grain of salt.

Normally I carry my G23 and I shoot USPSA with my G35. I like the G35 for competition because it is similar to what everyone else is shooting in production division. It makes me feel like I'm competitive, or at least I can't blame it on the gun. I have shot one match with my G23. I was out of town and it was all I had. It wasn't too hard transitioning to shooting my carry gun in that situation although the plate rack gave me some fits. I felt like a GM with my G35 the next match. Having that experience I may start shooting my G23 in a couple matches a year just to keep from getting too lazy with the 35.

Like others suggested: have you considered getting a dedicated competition gun that is a little more similar to your primary carry gun?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:55:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cant forget the vest....cant figure out why people wear them, but whatever.

If you are just trying to get better, shoot your 19. If you are wanting to become competitive, get a 34.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is what I would suggest also.  If you carry the G19 most, but want to be more competitive, the G17 or G34 will be a better "gamer" platform while still providing training for your carry gun.  Using the XDm will be counter-productive unless you trade your G19 for an XD compact.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would also go this route.

the 34 gets you practical training time on the same platform as your primary carry gun.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Shoot what you carry!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:39:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Read Brian Enos's book on Comp Shooting and practice.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:07:54 AM EDT
[#30]
the one you carry
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IDPA requires a "covering garment" to conceal your pistol.   They like the vests because they are not as hot as a jacket and they tend to be stiff enough to be easily swept aside when drawing the pistol.  

When I shot IDPA, I just used a jacket, shirt tail, or whatever.  I refused to go so far as to actually buy a vest.  That was a step into gayness that I was not willing to take, and a completely counterproductive skill set to cultivate, since I wouldn't ever wear that vest to actually conceal my CCW.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:43:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

IDPA requires a "covering garment" to conceal your pistol.   They like the vests because they are not as hot as a jacket and they tend to be stiff enough to be easily swept aside when drawing the pistol.  

When I shot IDPA, I just used a jacket, shirt tail, or whatever.  I refused to go so far as to actually buy a vest.  That was a step into gayness that I was not willing to take, and a completely counterproductive skill set to cultivate, since I wouldn't ever wear that vest to actually conceal my CCW.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cant you just wear a normal tshirt?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:30:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes you can just wear a normal shirt.  
It all depends on how you approach the game.
To get practical exercise and practice with your carry setup or go for points and game it.
IF you want to shoot in the true spirit of IDPA shoot what you carry and use the same gear you carry with like a IWB holster.
I started with my G30 and a comp tac Minotaur IWB holster.
I now use a comp tac OWB and a G21.
One is summer wear one is winter wear.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:02:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if your shirt covers your gun.  With a OWB paddle holster like most of the people who are "playing the game" in IDPA use (vs. practicing with actual concealed carry gear), a T-shirt does not provide sufficient concealment.  I've seen guys use untucked button-down shirts before, though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#35]
I have shot a few matches here and 99% of people I see are "gaming" with kydex OWB holsters and mag carriers in a safariland competition type rig with the obligatory 5.11 tac vest, vast majority of guns I see are full size Glocks and 1911s . A few M&Ps mixed in , but most are Glock 19/23 17/22 34/35

I only seen a couple of shields and XDs handguns that I would consider small , carry guns

I am not shooting to win , I'm shooting for training and practice.

Up until now , I have been switching around guns , but I want to buy some better gear and I cannot afford to buy holsters , mag carriers for everything

Currently I use a flannel shirt or light jacket as a cover garment
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top