Site Notices
10/24/2014 2:42:22 PM
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
Page:  / 17
Author
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/16/2014 4:46:47 AM
I was somewhat turned off by the very poor trigger reset - like a DAO, you have to completely release the trigger to reset, and it's got a lot of travel. The pull is crisp after you get past the long takeup.

Also noted some pretty sharp edges at the top of all the cocking striations on the slide, painfully sharp.
This is...a clue - Pat_Rogers
I'm not adequately aluminumized for this thread. - gonzo_beyondo
CO, FL, MI, SC, NH - Please lobby your legislators to end discrimination against non-resident CCW permit holders
SharnPenndroen
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/16/2014 9:02:55 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Gamma762:
I was somewhat turned off by the very poor trigger reset - like a DAO, you have to completely release the trigger to reset, and it's got a lot of travel. The pull is crisp after you get past the long takeup.

Also noted some pretty sharp edges at the top of all the cocking striations on the slide, painfully sharp.

So the trigger is a lot like a Kahr?
mike_nds
Co-Owner NoDak Spud LLC
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/16/2014 9:50:52 AM
The R51 seemed about the size of a Makarov in my hand.

The Glock 42 felt much smaller to me, regardless of what the "official" dimensions are listed as.
"My uncle has a country place that no one knows about. He says it used to be a farm before the motor law."

Back when I was young, liberals were fighting "The Man". Now they are the Man.........
Gamma762
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/16/2014 11:54:46 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By mike_nds:

The Glock 42 felt much smaller to me, regardless of what the "official" dimensions are listed as.

The Glock grip circumference is a lot smaller. The Remington grip is pretty long front to back.
CO, FL, MI, SC, NH - Please lobby your legislators to end discrimination against non-resident CCW permit holders
Cheesebeast
N is for Neville who died of Ennui.
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/16/2014 12:39:50 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Ut oh.

Is it a mushy weak reset like a Browning HP?

Are you just spoiled and comparing it to the Walther PPQ and Colt 1911 reset?

BlitzPig
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/16/2014 12:56:15 PM
Perhaps we should all wait until real production examples are available to sample at our LGS before throwing the baby out with the bath water.
A conquering army on the border will not be stopped by eloquence. Otto von Bismarck

AirRaceFan

Link To This Post
Posted: 1/16/2014 12:58:43 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By BlitzPig:
Perhaps we should all wait until real production examples are available to sample at our LGS before throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Yeah, I'm going to have to handle one first. However, if it's true that the MSRP has been changed to $420, it's starting to look less attractive.
lovecraftfan
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/16/2014 1:05:48 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By ns66:
i saw someone asked a good question, since there's no guide rod, if the gun is pushed against something/someone and the slide is slightly out of battery, will it fire?

I tried this with my original Model 51 one day, it can't happen. The barrel protrudes past the front of the slide slightly (about a sixteenth of an inch or so) and since it's fixed to the frame you can't push it out of battery by pressing it against something. It will fire, but it will still be in battery.
Hornet
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/16/2014 4:10:48 PM

I'm certainly interested. I love the low bore axis and larger grip portion.

I don't think we should be comparing this to any .380. Compare this to other 9mm options, as the full power cartridge brings a new set of issues. For comparison purposes, closest in capability would be a Sig 239 or P7M8. Frankly I'd call that pretty good company. Can't wait to see how it stacks up.

ns66
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/16/2014 5:44:12 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Russell92:
Originally Posted By ns66:
i saw someone asked a good question, since there's no guide rod, if the gun is pushed against something/someone and the slide is slightly out of battery, will it fire?

What does not having a guide rod have to do with whether it will fire out of battery?

the fixed rod does help preventing the slide from being pushed out of battery, especially pushed against solid object
ns66
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/16/2014 5:46:35 PM
R51 might not be the gun for me, but I sure hope more gun makers going to adopt the new operation if it's as good as on paper
just like the glock is not for me, but I like the shield and ppq
beaverpelt
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/16/2014 5:56:47 PM
I'm getting one for sure
Gamma762
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/16/2014 10:37:13 PM
[Last Edit: 1/16/2014 10:40:25 PM by Gamma762]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Cheesebeast:
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Ut oh.

Is it a mushy weak reset like a Browning HP?

Are you just spoiled and comparing it to the Walther PPQ and Colt 1911 reset?

Considering the emphasis that Remington is putting on the trigger pull in the promotional material for the R51, I think it's appropriate to point out a very noticeable deficiency. I haven't shot an HP in years (decades) so can't really give you a comparison. It's pretty weak, there's nothing tactile that tells you the reset has happened, and the trigger travel I'd roughly guestimate at 5/16 to 3/8 inch.

The pull itself is very clean with little overtravel, it's just the 1/4+ inch of takeup to get to it, and then the long, weak and indistinct reset. I'd prefer either the factory triggers on the Shield or the PPS for comparison (at least what was at the show) to compare it to similar category pistols.

I tried it again today and they really need to rethink their design on the cocking striations on the slide. They're sharp at the top, and the design points a whole bunch of sharp points right into your hand if you do a proper over-the-top slide retraction. If you do it forcefully like you'd do in a class you'd probably draw blood. Remington's show displays prominently pointed out how extensively the pistol had been tested in product development, and apparently none of their product testers do a proper over-the-top slide retraction.
ns66
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/17/2014 3:09:02 PM
remington might got carried away by the initial enthusiasm from the public, hiking the price to $420 is a mistake
jdlgt90
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/17/2014 3:15:45 PM
They are raising MSRP so it looks like the LGS or dealer is giving you a better deal, they won't price themselves out of the market, I have a feeling they will be moving these at the highest possible volume they can. If this takes off it will really put them out there.
Wrecker1
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/17/2014 4:39:07 PM
ns66
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/17/2014 5:09:41 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By jdlgt90:
They are raising MSRP so it looks like the LGS or dealer is giving you a better deal

i don't buy that, lowering price is giving everyone a better deal, not raising price
Bruins
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/17/2014 6:16:18 PM
If they're raising the price I'm out.
Molon Labe
az_larry
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/17/2014 6:46:46 PM
Wholesale is $319, I don't know what MSRP is but they will probably be on the street in the $400 range.
crazymoose
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/17/2014 8:12:43 PM
[Last Edit: 1/17/2014 8:13:31 PM by crazymoose]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By mike_nds:

Actually happy to hear that about the Remington. The industry and the customer base have gotten obsessed with the tiniest possible guns to chamber a given cartridge, and seem to forget that it's difficult to shoot tiny guns worth a shit. Doubly so under stress.
valor19
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/17/2014 8:31:46 PM
I'm not bothered by the raised MSRP if I can get it for under $400 from a dealer. When is the last time someone paid MSRP for a firearm?
hkusp
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/17/2014 8:45:47 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By valor19:
I'm not bothered by the raised MSRP if I can get it for under $400 from a dealer. When is the last time someone paid MSRP for a firearm?

Might eventually sell for $350.
eastcoastff
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/17/2014 8:57:40 PM

Did I miss something or are you implying we shouldn't be purchasing a handgun from Remington because they accepted a contract to provide rifles to our military?
FatPants
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/17/2014 11:37:24 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By SemperFo:
Originally Posted By pokey074:
I wanted one until I saw this pic. Too big.

That can't be right. The R1 1911 is 8.5" and the R51 is 6".

ETA: unless those are Glock 42-sized 1911s.
http://www.triangletactical.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Glock-42-vs-R51.png

I had it wrong. When I made the linked graphic (which I took down), I was using the 6" length number which clearly most blogs have incorrect...
Monsterelk7x7
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2014 1:37:24 PM
Pretty sweet looking
Page:  / 17
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED