BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 4:37:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They started arriving at dealers this week and your dealer said he will not get them until the end of March or April? I'd probably look in to a different dealer if I were you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stopped at a LGS at lunch. They said they expect them in around the end of March early April. I got on a waiting list. I was only the second one on the list.

They said they were getting in 12 in the first batch and they would be selling them for $425.

They started arriving at dealers this week and your dealer said he will not get them until the end of March or April? I'd probably look in to a different dealer if I were you.

I haven't seen any dealers that actually have them in stock yet. Maybe you could post a link to one that actually has them.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 6:34:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/foghorn/gun-review-remington-r51/
View Quote

Not sure I'm buying all of that. Saying the gun is 'roughly the size of a Glock 19' is like saying anything labeled compact is roughly the same size. I've tried a few guns and they all carry differently. My Glock 23 is one of the most uncomfortable with my body and how I carry.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not sure I'm buying all of that. Saying the gun is 'roughly the size of a Glock 19' is like saying anything labeled compact is roughly the same size. I've tried a few guns and they all carry differently. My Glock 23 is one of the most uncomfortable with my body and how I carry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many people regard the G19 as the perfect sized gun.  IF the gun is dimensioned similar to the G19 but is significantly thinner then it is a win in my eyes.  Yes, the capacity is reduced but if you want a slimmer gun you have to give up something.

That article shows a ton of bias anyway.  I would wait for a non biased review from another independent source before coming to any conclusions based upon someone else's experiences.

I believe Nick Foghorn or whatever the hell his name might be is simply butthurt because Remington didnt invite him to their uber Shmoozefest where they unveiled the pistol.

Points of contention:

1.  Physics clearly escapes this guys conscious...How is plus P a pussy cat round but standard ball ammo is a bitch to shoot?  That makes no sense.  Equal and opposite reactions there bucko...
2.  The flush fitting magazine will no doubt be addressed by the aftermarket if it IS an issue...You do realize lots of 1911 magazines are flush fitting too...right?
3.  For a sponsored FN shooter that guy has some serious pre ignition push issues with this gun...I understand hes trying to "rapid fire" but proper trigger control and follow through would have gone a long way towards remedying his "issues" with shooting the gun "at speed".
4.  All guns can be reassembled improperly if you dont know what you're doing.  Having a spring underneath your slide lock that requires a certain reassembly process does NOT denote a flawed design.  Give me a break man...

Im sure there is more but i dont want to go back and read that article again to experience a manboy cry about a sub 400 dollar pistol that clearly pissed in his breakfast.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Many people regard the G19 as the perfect sized gun.  IF the gun is dimensioned similar to the G19 but is significantly thinner then it is a win in my eyes.  Yes, the capacity is reduced but if you want a slimmer gun you have to give up something.

That article shows a ton of bias anyway.  I would wait for a non biased review from another independent source before coming to any conclusions based upon someone else's experiences.

I believe Nick Foghorn or whatever the hell his name might be is simply butthurt because Remington didnt invite him to their uber Shmoozefest where they unveiled the pistol.

Points of contention:

1.  Physics clearly escapes this guys conscious...How is plus P a pussy cat round but standard ball ammo is a bitch to shoot?  That makes no sense.  Equal and opposite reactions there bucko...
2.  The flush fitting magazine will no doubt be addressed by the aftermarket if it IS an issue...You do realize lots of 1911 magazines are flush fitting too...right?
3.  For a sponsored FN shooter that guy has some serious pre ignition push issues with this gun...I understand hes trying to "rapid fire" but proper trigger control and follow through would have gone a long way towards remedying his "issues" with shooting the gun "at speed".
4.  All guns can be reassembled improperly if you dont know what you're doing.  Having a spring underneath your slide lock that requires a certain reassembly process does NOT denote a flawed design.  Give me a break man...

Im sure there is more but i dont want to go back and read that article again to experience a manboy cry about a sub 400 dollar pistol that clearly pissed in his breakfast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Points of contention:

I agree with you on this assessment. I am going to wait and see what other reviewers think before I cry foul. One of the first vids released had the Remington factory guy empting a magazine very quickly and with very little perceivable muzzle rise. It looked like a nice shooter.

I am very interested in this R51 but one would also be served well with a Smith 3913 in this class.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I agree with you on this assessment. I am going to wait and see what other reviewers think before I cry foul. One of the first vids released had the Remington factory guy empting a magazine very quickly and with very little perceivable muzzle rise. It looked like a nice shooter.

I am very interested in this R51 but one would also be served well with a Smith 3913 in this class.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Points of contention:

You sir, are a man of discerning tastes!  The only thing keeping me out of a 3913 or 14 is the fact that finding mags seems to be somewhat difficult.

I think the gun will prove to be a "shooter" for what it is.  I plan on getting one simply because it interests me and beating the shit out of it to see how far i can take it.  At the price point that it commands, i cant really think of a reason not to.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Foghorn admits to having problems with Freedom Group in the past, so its a biased review. But nice to see somebody finally got their hands on one and completed a review for the rest of us. Like many others have said, i'll wait until Hickok45 and some of the other more seasoned people post their reviews.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I carry a 3913 now. It carries noticeably better for me than my G23 yet it's as large or larger in some dimensions. I've looked at a ton of guns to replace the Smith and I've not found anything that will work better other than potentially the R51. The only way I can decide is to try one, see how it fits, and shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I carry a 3913 now. It carries noticeably better for me than my G23 yet it's as large or larger in some dimensions. I've looked at a ton of guns to replace the Smith and I've not found anything that will work better other than potentially the R51. The only way I can decide is to try one, see how it fits, and shoot it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I too am interested in the R51. It would have to be one hell of a pistol though to replace my 3913.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Someone get Hickok45 one STAT! I want a review!
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Points of contention:

View Quote

Other issue is he clearly does not know how to shoot a pistol with a single action trigger.  Keeps trying to "ride the reset" as if that were a good thing or a good habit to get into.  Probably bitch that a 1911 does not have a grindy/clicky reset as well.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I haven't seen any dealers that actually have them in stock yet. Maybe you could post a link to one that actually has them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stopped at a LGS at lunch. They said they expect them in around the end of March early April. I got on a waiting list. I was only the second one on the list.

They said they were getting in 12 in the first batch and they would be selling them for $425.

He said he got these two at his local FFL. By that, I thought he meant they were now showing up to dealers and he just so happen to pick up the first ones that arrived. It's probably a case of him getting an advance shipment of two pistols for review though. I apologize if that was the case.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/foghorn/just-arrived-remington-r51/
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 4:01:38 AM EDT
[#12]
On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 9:27 AM, SCW wrote:

Ray

any word on Arrival or Street Pricing?

thanks
SCW
View Quote

On Feb 8, 2014 at 7:45 PM Ray wrote

no word.. sorry i`ll let you no.
thanks, Ray
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 4:25:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I too am interested in the R51. It would have to be one hell of a pistol though to replace my 3913.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Couldn't agree more. It seems we're comparing a $400 pistol to what amounts to a $600-$800 pistol in today's dollars.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 5:35:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Snip.......

Points of contention:

Snip......

View Quote

Still interested also.  I've got an LC9 with that llllllooooonnnngggggg trigger.  You get used to it and not every gun is going to work the way "you" want it to.  I handled a G42 over the weekend.  The size is good over all, but that blocky slide just isn't what I want.  I'm sure a good holster helps that.

Seems like he also has completely forgotten about other guns that have specific assembly steps.  How many guns have directional recoil springs (PPK, Sig, etc) or other things that cause a stoppage (potentially) if reinstalled incorrectly?  This spring on the slide catch seems to be something you could check by retracting the slide seeing it it resets correctly (freely).
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 7:20:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

He said he got these two at his local FFL. By that, I thought he meant they were now showing up to dealers and he just so happen to pick up the first ones that arrived. It's probably a case of him getting an advance shipment of two pistols for review though. I apologize if that was the case.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No apology necessary.

Like others have said I would imagine some of the bigger dealers might get them in before the LGS I got on the list at. Also, like others have said, they will show up on gunbroker within 24 hours of them hitting the street.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 7:35:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Still interested also.  I've got an LC9 with that llllllooooonnnngggggg trigger.  You get used to it and not every gun is going to work the way "you" want it to.  I handled a G42 over the weekend.  The size is good over all, but that blocky slide just isn't what I want.  I'm sure a good holster helps that.

Seems like he also has completely forgotten about other guns that have specific assembly steps.  How many guns have directional recoil springs (PPK, Sig, etc) or other things that cause a stoppage (potentially) if reinstalled incorrectly?  This spring on the slide catch seems to be something you could check by retracting the slide seeing it it resets correctly (freely).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip.......

Points of contention:

Snip......

While youth is no excuse, it does sometimes get in the way...

Nick Foghorn Leghorn is a pretty young guy and a fairly new shooter.  I doubt hes actually spent enough time handling and shooting enough firearms to understand what you just said.  Us Young-uns (im 30) are often times spoiled by the fact that most of us "grew up" on the simplicity of Glocks and modern striker fired pistols.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone actually located a retailer selling these yet?
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

If they're not on Gunbroker, they're not in the wild yet.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wisdom. You has it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Anybody touch one of these yet? ( outside of SHOT show )
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#21]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IQEAKGXKt8[/youtube]
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 2/18/2014 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#23]
So much for not being able to shoot it quickly.

I want one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes

At 2:33 you can see the malfunction where the slide sticks during slide closing.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#25]
If you wear flip-flops, you've got more problems than I can take care of in this video.
View Quote

Bwaaahahahahaaaaa !!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#26]
another video with taking down the gun.

I still cannot wait to get my hands on one

R51
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 6:13:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Same here.............already put my name on a waiting list

Quoted:
another video with taking down the gun.

I still cannot wait to get my hands on one

R51
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#28]
this thread is almost on page 3. I assume nobody has purchased one of these yet
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Bueller?

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Damnit!

Every time I see this thread resurrected, I think that someone on here actually picked one up.

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Damnit!

Every time I see this thread resurrected, I think that someone on here actually picked one up.

View Quote

None on GunBroker yet. Which pretty much means none exist at the consumer level yet.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Damn this thread, I always rush to check if someone has one yet. I'm looking forward to seeing one in person.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Take your pick on Gunbroker. R51 Gunbroker search
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#34]
that means we are close to seeing this at a LGS!
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#35]
A couple over $500, one heading to $600 on Gun Broker. I'm glad I'm not set on being the first guy to buy an untested gun for hundreds above retail.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A couple over $500, one heading to $600 on Gun Broker. I'm glad I'm not set on being the first guy to buy an untested gun for hundreds above retail.
View Quote

As long as someone lets hickok45 get his hands on one, I'll be a happy boy!
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 1:27:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I see that it makes me wonder just how big the sellers extended family is?
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#38]
I read that when it was being tested, the guys shooting it went through so many rounds, they were standing on brass and not the floor.  There was one failure.  Hope that is so.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I just don't get it...its ugly as hell and nothing that great as features over any other single stack 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I just don't get it...its ugly as hell and nothing that great as features over any other single stack 9mm.
View Quote

To some of us it's about the optimum size for ccw, it's 9mm, and it's a from a major manufacturer for $400+-  That's enough. Ugly doesn't mean anything to me. Glocks aren't exactly beautiful.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

Not to reiterate the entire thread, but here are the features that appeal to me:

• Perfect size grip

• All metal pistol

• Attractive styling (subjective)

• Well thought out for CCW purposes

• Low recoil

• MSRP

• Overall width, height, and length

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#42]
For those saying this design doesn't make sense.... the newly announced Walther CCP is very similar in several ways to the R51.  To include claimed low slide retraction force.  Apparently the market research isn't that far off.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 5:04:14 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm interested as I'm looking for a new CCW with the described features.  One thing about Remington is that they have several manufacturing plants across the US not counting what/who Freedom owns.  Illion NY main plant; Mayfield KY makes their .22s; Lonoke AR ammo plant, Madison NC corp HQ; Pineville NC Para USA plant; Hunstville AL, Mona UT, Elizabethtown KY-research facility.

CD
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ugly? It's a helluva lot better looking than the Shield, Nano, LC9, etc. I think it's one of the best looking compacts to come out in a while, let alone the fact that it features a metal frame.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
For those saying this design doesn't make sense.... the newly announced Walther CCP is very similar in several ways to the R51.  To include claimed low slide retraction force.  Apparently the market research isn't that far off.
View Quote

Also doing the same thing that people are pissed about Glock not doing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#47]
When all of you guys buy this gun for carry, I'll be anxious to hear if you get tired of its weight.  I bought an MK9 Kahr for CCW because of its size about 13 yrs ago.  I carried it daily for 4-5 yrs.  The G27 Glock that I carry now feels lighter and holds many more rounds.  This new gun by Rem might make a cool range toy though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 12:46:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

The prices on Gunbroker are ludicrous. Ain't got no time fo dat!

I was at my local shop on Saturday, putting down some more money on my Arsenal SLR-104FR special order (just came in). After that was done, the clerk said "hey, got something in that you might like", walked over to the compact pistol case and handed me a new R-51.

Asked to see the box, as I was wondering what it came with. Out came a huge green cardboard box, foam-lined, with a manual, cable lock, and one spare magazine. Price was $399+tax, so $432 OTD.

Decided to cancel a long-term special order on a Marlin Papoose and put the money down on the Remington. I'll have it after I pay off the Arsenal.

I liked the way it felt in the hand, the grip safety was easy to activate, magazine release, slide release, slide was easy to retract, etc. I'm looking forward to it.

This was the first one they got in; when I got home I checked prices on Gunbroker and laughed.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 1:55:31 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I was at my local shop on Saturday, putting down some more money on my Arsenal SLR-104FR special order (just came in). After that was done, the clerk said "hey, got something in that you might like", walked over to the compact pistol case and handed me a new R-51.

Asked to see the box, as I was wondering what it came with. Out came a huge green cardboard box, foam-lined, with a manual, cable lock, and one spare magazine. Price was $399+tax, so $432 OTD.

Decided to cancel a long-term special order on a Marlin Papoose and put the money down on the Remington. I'll have it after I pay off the Arsenal.

I liked the way it felt in the hand, the grip safety was easy to activate, magazine release, slide release, slide was easy to retract, etc. I'm looking forward to it.

This was the first one they got in; when I got home I checked prices on Gunbroker and laughed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Super. I look forward to your review once you get it home.

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
When all of you guys buy this gun for carry, I'll be anxious to hear if you get tired of its weight.  I bought an MK9 Kahr for CCW because of its size about 13 yrs ago.  I carried it daily for 4-5 yrs.  The G27 Glock that I carry now feels lighter and holds many more rounds.  This new gun by Rem might make a cool range toy though.
View Quote

Kahr MK9 empty weight is 22.1oz

Glock 27 empty weight is 21.9oz

Loaded the 27 is going to be heavier.

Remington R51 weight is called out as 22oz.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top