Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2013 8:40:55 PM EDT
I am considering buying a CZ 97B sometime in the next 6 months, and I just want to hear some opinions and maybe see some pictures from those of you that own one.

I noticed that there were none listed on Gunbroker right now. I looked there to check availability and price. What is a price range for the CZ 97B? Are they hard to find?

My last question is this- if I am unable to find a CZ 97B, would the EAA Witness in .45, made by Tanfoglio, in an all steel model be a decent substitute?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I love love love mine. Favorite 45 to shoot. I would wait for a CZ. Mine was $400 local. $600 is about the going rate online.
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I can speak only for the Witness.   It's a pretty solid gun for the money, if lacking a bit of refinement.  The trigger could use some work but that's always the case with CZ style guns for me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can speak only for the Witness.   It's a pretty solid gun for the money, if lacking a bit of refinement.  The trigger could use some work but that's always the case with CZ style guns for me.
View Quote

Concur on the trigger assessment. All my CZ pistols have trigger work, save the 97 and my 82's. The trigger pull on the 97 isn't bad, but the reset could be a lot better.
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Fwiw, I would get a Sar k2 before tue witness.  14 rounds and a nice trigger out of the box. Rail too, if that matters.

CZ imports their guns in lots, not continually. They just revamped the 97, so availability should get better soon.
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool. Thanks for the replies so far.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fwiw, I would get a Sar k2 before tue witness.  14 rounds and a nice trigger out of the box. Rail too, if that matters.

CZ imports their guns in lots, not continually. They just revamped the 97, so availability should get better soon.
View Quote

I've been looking at that K2, looks sweet, like a CZ and a Sig had a baby. Too bad the 10mm version never materialized, hell or even a .40 (it's what I'm setup to reload).

I had an EAA Witness Elite Match in 10mm, It was pretty nice, don't think I'd own the standard Witness though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 10:49:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I had an early one.

Very very accurate, but an absolute no go with JHP ammo, any JHP ammo.

I understand the new ones are better in this regard.

I am a fan of CZs in general, so this is not a "get a Glock" post.  

My 97 was very smooth in operation and the single action trigger, like all my CZs, broke in very nicely indeed.

If it had been reliable with hollow points I'd still have it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Most people who own the CZ97-B really like them and they have a reputation for excellent accuracy.
Early guns needed to go to CZ-USA for the gunsmith to modify it slightly so it would reliably feed hollow point ammo, but I think that issue has been corrected on new guns.

The only down check it gets is the large size, which isn't compatible with less then larger hands.
CZ-USA can switch the stock trigger for a more curved trigger from another CZ model to shorten the reach to the trigger.
Last, there may be issues with dry firing causing damage to the firing pin retaining roll pin.  I've heard recommendations to use snap caps.

The EAA Witness is a "best buy" for the quality, features, price.
The Witness is available with more options then the CZ, like ambi safeties, different sights, conversions kits to other calibers, etc.
The EAA and Witness both use the same Mec-Gar 10 round magazine.
The EAA has a much better shaped trigger which lowers trigger reach, and the EAA is over all a smaller, more compact gun then the huge CZ.
The EAA has had some past history of cracking slides, but most of that seems to have been in the 10mm model.

Here's my limited production stainless steel model from the early 1990's.  The slide and frame are actual stainless steel, everything else, including the barrel are carbon steel.
It's accurate, totally reliable, and good quality, although these limited production stainless guns seemed to have slides and frames that were a little more porous then newer carbon steel guns.

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Be warned, OP, the 97 is one big-ass pistol; a lot like the Para P14.45's. Holsters are very thin on the ground, too.

Having said that, the CZ97B is one sweet pistol; it was my first CZ.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#10]
There was one at the College Station Gander Mountain used. I forgot the price, and it was a couple weeks ago. Go to a local Bass Pro or Gander Mountain and see if they can transfer one to your nearest location if they have any.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I have never handled a CZ97B. I have just never found one locally to look at. I have handled CZ 75's and EAA Witnesses plenty of times though. How does the grip of the CZ 97B feel in the hand compared to say a Glock 21? I have handled Glock 21's before, and they feel like a 2X4 in my hand.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I wish my hands were bigger, I would have one by now. I handled one at a shop, and it's pretty big-around at the grip, for my hobbit hands.

If I was bigger, or the CZ was smaller, I would have gotten one last time I was .45 shoppin' (got another 1911)

Somwhere in all my poking around, I saw an accuracy test, and it was the best of all tested, I can't find the site now.

I read once that they are among the most accurate of all .45s, and that says alot going up against stuff like the G21 and 1911.

I don't think this is too bad of a hijack while we are on the subject, and THINK the OP would like to know as well;

What all went into the new CZ revamp of the big 97?
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wish my hands were bigger, I would have one by now. I handled one at a shop, and it's pretty big-around at the grip, for my hobbit hands.

If I was bigger, or the CZ was smaller, I would have gotten one last time I was .45 shoppin' (got another 1911)

Somwhere in all my poking around, I saw an accuracy test, and it was the best of all tested, I can't find the site now.

I read once that they are among the most accurate of all .45s, and that says alot going up against stuff like the G21 and 1911.

I don't think this is too bad of a hijack while we are on the subject, and THINK the OP would like to know as well;

What all went into the new CZ revamp of the big 97?
View Quote

Better factory sights, will feed hollowpoints, special thin al grips.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#14]
My CZ97B is a big pistol but it's a good fit in my medium to large size hands, my only complaint is the long reach of the trigger in DA mode, in SA mode it's perfect. It's almost identical to the pull on my S&W model 29 .44 magnum. For range use it's reputation for accuracy is well deserved, out of the box it shoots almost as well as any of my customized 1911s. The only large frame .45 I own that has less recoil is my FNX 45. I've only held one EAA Witness in .45 and it didn't seem to be as large a frame as the CZ97B.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What is a price range for the CZ 97B?
View Quote

A few months ago Gander Mountain had two in the case for $1020 each.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow. That's a really high price. I am going to hopefully purchase one from a member of another forum I am on. He has a NIB gloss blue CZ 97B that he will sell me for $650.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top