Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2013 5:36:27 PM EDT
Looking for a new off duty weapon and can't really decide. Which weapon do you think is the better option? Price isn't a factor. I'm able to buy a Shield for $340(plus tax) from a LGS at the LE pricing. The Taurus is being sold $329.99(plus tax) at Academy's. I understand that its REALLY my decision at the end, but I still like to hear the opinions of others. Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/12/2013 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got my Shield 9  a few weeks ago. I really like it, the grip is pretty thin with the single stack and 7 round magazine but it helps conceal it and it's a really smooth shooter. I like the look of the Taurus and the extra rounds, never shot one though. Plus it looks like it has a rail for a light, the Shield does not. Have you handled each one?
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Shield.

Had to have a part replaced on a Taurus once and it took 6 months.

Link Posted: 7/12/2013 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Shield or XDs 9
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just got my Shield 9  a few weeks ago. I really like it, the grip is pretty thin with the single stack and 7 round magazine but it helps conceal it and it's a really smooth shooter. I like the look of the Taurus and the extra rounds, never shot one though. Plus it looks like it has a rail for a light, the Shield does not. Have you handled each one?

Never held the Shield before. I did get to hold the G2 yesterday when I was just looking around at the gun bar at Academy's. It caught my attention because I thought it was the Shield from a distance. Being a previous owner of the PT111 Mil-Pro, the G2 is a BIG improvement. The sights were better, stippling on the grip, better looking slide, and slimmer frame compared to the previous generation.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought  a Shield 9mm, so there is my vote - didn't even consider the Taurus.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]
PT 111 G2
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Shield or PM9
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Shield hands down over the Taurus. The new XDs pistol is pretty sweet also though.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Shield times a million

I have a Taurus, and I never shoot it because it sucks. I sold the other one for the same reason.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Shield is a solid choice.  I had one, and don't remember any hiccups.  Solid performer, decent trigger out-of-box, and nice slim profile.  The gun that beats it?  XDS.  Way more fun to shoot.  I'm actually more accurate and quicker to get back on target with it in .45 than I was with the Shield in 9mm(had a somewhat snappy recoil).  Also 100% reliable. Better trigger imo.  Profile/proportions nearly identical.  
Downside you lose 2 rounds if going with the .45, but I believe the 9mm XDS has the same capacity as the Shield offering.  Other downside, price.

I sold the Shield before obtaining the XDS, but I'd choose the Springfield over the S&W any day if money isn't an object...obviously, as I kept the XDS and don't feel much remorse over the lost Shield.  IMO, just a better handgun all around, but it should be since it cost $125+ more. FWIW OTD prices compared, when I picked up my Shield I got it for $390, the XDS for $520 (then I went and got the bitone for $565 as needed to break up the monotony of the all-black club).  I have no problem putting that extra money into the Springfield, but for those that are looking for the best value the S&W is the no-brainer as it's still a fine firearm.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Really appreciate all the input. I think I'm going with the Shield.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Definitely the way to go. Taurus makes a good revolver but I would never buy another Taurus semi-auto.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#13]
The only Taurus I would own would be their Beretta 92 clone. They actually did a good job on that one. As for anything else they have to offer... I find them attractive paper weights only...
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#14]
For a duty or carry gun, the Taurus is not it, for a range or plinker maybe.

Now check out the Wather PPS, XDs, and Kahr lineup as well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Between those two I would go with the shield.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a pt111 that was given to me.

Not bad, but get something else.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Shield

Several of my friends have owned Taurus pistols, none still have them.  From what I've seen Taurus semis are not worth the time, money or hassle...

Link Posted: 7/14/2013 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#18]

I think it's pretty safe to assume that the correct answer to "S&W ___ vs. Taurus ___" will always be S&W.

Link Posted: 7/14/2013 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#19]
For this class of pistol, the choice should be Shield vs PPS.  

The Taurus should not be a consideration.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Definitely the way to go. Taurus makes a good revolver but I would never buy another Taurus semi-auto.

Quoted:
The only Taurus I would own would be their Beretta 92 clone. They actually did a good job on that one. As for anything else they have to offer... I find them attractive paper weights only...

Taurus doesnt make a good gun and I am convinced they never have.

Do they have Tens of thousands of guns in circulation that work well? Yes.

Do they have some great ideas and innovation? Yes

Does their QC suck donkey balls? Yes

Do they have one of if not the highest return rate in the industry? Yes

If the question is Taurus or just about any of the other big names then I would always default against taurus. With S&W in the mix it would be a no brainer for me
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:12:23 AM EDT
[#21]
We recently bought a Shield for my GF to carry.

Never owned a PT1xx series Taurus, but I did look at them closely when I was first considering getting my carry license. I liked the size of the pistol and how it felt in my hand (PT145, mostly). That's where the love affair ended, sadly. Reviews for the series ranged from favorable to abhorrent and there were reports of frame rail issues (now reportedly fixed). In their price range, they were pretty good, IMO.

In the same price range, the Shield is fantastic. It is a little hard to get used to shooting at first and it's the only damn pistol I own that actually required me to drift the sights from the factory, but it is accurate and reliable. I might get one to replace the P11 I frequently carry. At $340, it's a no-brainer, IMO.

Get the Shield. (or an XDs) Between the two pistols you listed, the Shield is the vastly superior choice, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:35:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Shield or XDs 9

Between these two I'd go XDs9, just because I've got an XDs 45 and love it. The Shield is nice, but I just like the feel of my Springfield's better. But YMMV. Between the two that the OP is listing, I'd go Shield.

Link Posted: 7/16/2013 6:39:10 AM EDT
[#23]
It's like choosing a rock or the Taurus. A choice between the Shield and a Taurus is not even a choice.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 7:05:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Shield +eleventy billion
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#25]
There is never a reason to buy a Taurus.

The state of the gun industry is such that we no longer have to choose between "shit" and "everything else."   There is plenty of "everything else" without ever having to consider "shit".
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If the question is Taurus or just about any of the other big names then I would always default against taurus. With S&W in the mix it would be a no brainer for me
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with everything you said except what's in red. Your wrong about their Beretta 92 clone. Have you ever shot one firsthand or owned one? I enjoy pissing on Taurus as much as anybody because they generally suck a fat one but I have to give them credit for the one good gun, a clone at that, that they do put out...
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I have shot many of them and still stand by my comment.

Their problem has always been QC and cheap materials. Ten guns great 2 guns bad. Next week 5 and 5. You never know what you are getting.

They have good customer service and usually attempt to fix it but poor metallurgy and fit is hard to fix sometimes
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#28]
there is no comparison

Taurus=shit

get the SW shield
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Good choice with the Shield. No contest.

I dropped an Apex kit in mine and Ameriglo i-dot night sights. Great carry piece.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Shield............
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There is never a reason to buy a Taurus.

The state of the gun industry is such that we no longer have to choose between "shit" and "everything else."   There is plenty of "everything else" without ever having to consider "shit".
View Quote

Pretty much this.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:33:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Around these parts, the Taurus is known as the "Single Shot Automatic".
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I have shot the S&W MP, Glock 26 and PT111 G2.  PT111 G2 was may choice and I don't regret it.  Not a single malfunction, easy on recoil, very accurate, concealable, reliable and safe.  Great for EDC.  I also own a PT1911 and I think it shoots better than many brands that cost twice or three times more.  I recommend both.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't buy Taurus
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top