ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 6/9/2013 3:41:46 AM EST
After much thought, I've come to the realization that--in a true SHTF situation--a revolver is more versatile. For example, I can use my S&W 686 with plastic bullets & primers for teaching shooting, hand loads or wad cutters for small game, shot for snakes, modern hollow points for self-defense and 180 or 200 grain hard cast for bear or moose ( in my part of the world--not Florida ) or gators in FL.

Fire power is the trade....and if I was being jumped by a zombie motorcycle gang, I'd want an AR or AK--or at least one of my Glocks or SIGs.

So--my question: for those who have chosen semi-auto handguns for SHTF--how do you address the use of a semi-autos limitation in a SHTF situation? A semiauto rifle & revolver?

Or, in typical ARF style, get both!

Thanks for the help.
goldeyeslayer
recovering cynic
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2013 3:46:55 AM EST
Get both
You look like the most normal person on the planet, or a serial killer. I can't decide. Either way, rock on.- Dan_Gray
1JN1:7
MT5:16
"Does that man have to poop?" Baby Snaps
Brunks
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2013 4:01:37 AM EST
Glock 19
Bhart89
Size 14 Carbon Footprint
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2013 4:54:51 AM EST
For me a SHTF scenario is a temporary disruption in my way of life (weeks to months in duration) due to natural or man made causes.
Pretty much all modern semi auto pistols are suitable.

I have wheel guns but they are not go-to pistols.

I have .22lrs for training and suppressed use.
I non vis assentire
Dan_Gray
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2013 4:56:44 AM EST
Any social use of a handgun is SHTF, period. You're in a life or death situation and you have to win, and you have to win now.
FredMan
Scallywag
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2013 5:15:56 AM EST
Definitely get both.

It's like putting on crampons and walking through a room full of puppies.
Alpha82
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2013 5:21:26 AM EST
I have no intention of stocking up on plastic bullets, or buying any at all, I don't see any value to training with a zero recoil, short range, inaccurate round.
In all my life I've never had cause to shoot a snake, and I've been very near many, and quite a few venomous.
If I have any other option, I won't be using a handgun for hunting or self defense, if that's all I have I'm already compromising and probably beyond the point of being able to choose, in which case anything is better than nothing. Not knocking handgun hunters, just not my thing. In a true survival mode it doens't matter if all I have is a pellet gun I'm going to try and down game with it.
When I lived in AK, my woods carry gun was a 12ga when possible, and .45LC or 44mag when that was precluded, as my primary concern was large bears, in a situation without them to worry about, but a significantly increased potential for conflict with armed groups capacity and reloads win.
Skunkhunter
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2013 7:40:07 AM EST
S&W and Taurus make 8 shot revolvers. I think availability of ammo is more important that the type of gun. A 10mm has a wide application, but you are not going to find much ammo if SHTF. On the other hand, a .22 rifle will kill a cow for instance, even though a .357 Mag is better.
Furyataurus
Be a Fountain, not a drain
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2013 9:41:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By 32ACP:
After much thought, I've come to the realization that--in a true SHTF situation--a revolver is more versatile. For example, I can use my S&W 686 with plastic bullets & primers for teaching shooting, hand loads or wad cutters for small game, shot for snakes, modern hollow points for self-defense and 180 or 200 grain hard cast for bear or moose ( in my part of the world--not Florida ) or gators in FL.

Fire power is the trade....and if I was being jumped by a zombie motorcycle gang, I'd want an AR or AK--or at least one of my Glocks or SIGs.

So--my question: for those who have chosen semi-auto handguns for SHTF--how do you address the use of a semi-autos limitation in a SHTF situation? A semiauto rifle & revolver?

Thanks for the help.

WTF do they put in the water in NH???
Sine Qua Non
Mister-Z
Smooth IS Fast
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2013 11:34:49 AM EST
Buy a full size semi auto in a service caliber.

Buy a lightweight 5 shot snub nosed wheel gun for a bug.

Problem solved.
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. -Theodore Roosevelt

samuse
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2013 12:05:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By Furyataurus:

Thanks for the help.

It's the SHTF mentality. They like junk shit like pump shotguns, revolvers, 30-30s etc when the whole world is overflowing with decent guns.

9Mak
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2013 12:11:29 PM EST

Thanks for the help.

What kind of SHTF? Life if I have to defend myself against zombies or city thugs...Everything I have. Everything from my black powder rifles to every bolt gun will be loaded and placed strategically. When I leave, they will all be in my truck with my bag, kit, supplies, etc.

If you wanted to drop me off in the woods to survive...Probably my CZ75 9mm for defense and a 10/22 Takedown with a few hundred rounds in my pack.
jmreagan
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/10/2013 10:23:34 AM EST
Originally Posted By samuse:

Thanks for the help.

It's the SHTF mentality. They like junk shit like pump shotguns, revolvers, 30-30s etc when the whole world is overflowing with decent guns.

Exactly!

les_strat
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/10/2013 10:48:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By Brunks:
Glock 19

Yep.

Or a good 686. Maybe both.

Nothing wrong with revolvers or pump shotties.

And WTF is everybody's deal with snakes?

Iram
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/10/2013 3:48:38 PM EST
Bear and moose?

Have you ever seen either of those animals in person? You're not going to take one down with a revolver. Even one of the 500 S&W.
MBUZICHOMA
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/10/2013 4:18:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:
Any social use of a handgun is SHTF, period. You're in a life or death situation and you have to win, and you have to win now.

+1.

I think the OP is talking TEOTWAWKI. In that case a 357 revolver is hard to beat.

America-first
Tired of all the bullshit
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/10/2013 5:15:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By les_strat:
Originally Posted By Brunks:
Glock 19

Yep.

Or a good 686. Maybe both.

Nothing wrong with revolvers or pump shotties.

And WTF is everybody's deal with snakes?

Beats me; I have come across quite a few snakes over the decades and managed to survive quite well without ever owning a "snake gun" or carrying shot ammnition for any of my handguns.
"When someone is swinging a crowbar at your head, they have defined the nature of your relationship."
gotuonpaper
Workin' for the MAN
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/10/2013 5:20:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By goldeyeslayer:
Get both

It's ARF fashion but realistically you need a good auto and revolver for different reasons. A g17 is a great start
Thats the screwin' ya got for the screwin' ya gave....ME

If you want to drop mother fuckers in their tracks you need a big gun.-VBC
DanTSX
CT HTF Moderator
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/10/2013 6:42:59 PM EST
the one in your hand when you need it

no, seriously, you'd be best off with a Glock 19 and a solid-ass .22LR like a Ruger Mk II.
15 ROUNDS IS NOT A CRIME!
Alpha82
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/10/2013 6:51:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/10/2013 6:52:59 PM EST by Alpha82]
Originally Posted By Iram:
Bear and moose?

Have you ever seen either of those animals in person? You're not going to take one down with a revolver. Even one of the 500 S&W.

Yes, I saw a black bear that squared 6'7" dropped with one shot from a 44mag, not dead, but down and not getting up. And there's several articles about a gent that stopped a charging griz in Denali with a 45ACP. Many more bears have succumbed to handguns. Troopers have many times put down AK moose with .40S&Ws though their shot placement is sometimes so bad it takes a lot longer than it should. Ideal, no, but it can and has been done. A pistol is always a compromise as a weapon, but it generally beats the shit out of throwing rocks.

6winchester2
Have Gun - Will Travel
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/10/2013 7:30:30 PM EST
Semi-auto rifle with a revolver as backup has a lot to be said for it in some ways.
"The symbol on my holster is a chess knight, an attack piece, the most versatile on the board. It can move eight ways, over barriers, always unexpected." - Paladin, HG-WT.
Rick_A
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/10/2013 7:50:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By samuse:

Thanks for the help.

That's just ignorant. Being proficient with your gun of choice matters more than what it is. The gear snobs abound here. It doesn't have to be tacticool or a clone of a tier one SOCOM operator weapon to be worth a shit.

I would not belittle someone for their choice of gun if they can use it effectively.
strm_trpr
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/11/2013 6:59:58 PM EST
I love my 686+ but SHTF or what ever I would take a glock 19-23 for low profile and an ar15 for highprofile.
53vortec
OIF, OEF, WTF, ETC.
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/12/2013 12:05:56 AM EST
Revolvers don't go down often, but when they do they tend to go down hard.

Long term SHTF, I'd prefer a good service pistol.
Order some golf shoes... otherwise we'll never get out of this place alive

.308- because people have a strange tendency to get behind things when you start shooting at them.
SirSqueeboo
2012 Cockpocalypse Survivor
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/12/2013 12:29:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/12/2013 12:30:44 AM EST by SirSqueeboo]
Sig, Glock and ARs. What limitations would a gun like a Glock have?
It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom is what it is ok. Keep that in mind at all times.

-Bill Hicks
9mm4me
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/16/2013 7:05:04 AM EST
I think a Glock 23 with a lone wolf 9mm conversion barrel and some 19 mags would be the best TEOTWAWKI handgun. You could then have the ability to scavenge the most popular police caliber (.40), and the most popular civilian caliber (9mm). You could also scavenge and use Glock 22 or 17 mags giving you even more versatility.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
"think for yourself...question authority"--tool
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED