Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

All great points! I'm siding towards the revolver over the smaller semi auto. Any recommendations of small revolver?

So, you'd choose a limited capacity, slow to reload, bulky pistol over a slimmer easier to conceal pistol, that's faster to reload that can even have spare magazines that hold a greater capacity than the concealed one, and have a ballistic advantage when it comes to short barrels?  
To each their own.

I can conceal a jframe very easily.....bulky?  Mmm ok.  

You may conceal it easily, but it's undeniably physically larger in dimension than small .380s.
Can carry extra ammo easily on speed strips, reloads are a breeze.......

Post video you you reloading in a "breeze" with speed strips.

The fastest revolver reloads are with moon clips or Safariland style speed loaders.

its called practice with what you carry ....then do it again and again and again......you know what happens with lots of practice right?

I shoot revolver in IDPA and practice for it constantly.  I know ALL ABOUT shooting revolvers. That's how I know you're trying to blow smoke up my (and everyone else's) ass.

There are some great rounds out there in 38. I own a 360PD  so I have the ability to fire 38/357.....I load up with either the speer gold dots 125/135 +Ps or the corbon DPX 110+P round.....both nasty rounds and easy to shoot

Not that nasty. Pretty average performance.

Bottom line guys.......not a damn thing wrong with jframes......

Short barrel, poor ballistics, low capacity, slow reloads, easily bound cylinder, speed shooting can lead to trigger short stroking, cylender can be damaged if dropped when open leading to inoperable gun, list goes on.  

they work and work well,

They work adequately.

just get your range time in and build muscle memory.......

Pretty much the only good point you've made.
in my opinion carry what is comfy for you.....

Terrible advice.  People should carry what fills the roll they need, and what they can use to the best of their abilities.  Comfort comes after that.
a lightweight slimline 22 is better in my pocket than a rock.

Which informal fallacy is that, appeal to consequences?

Lets have a contest.  
12 rounds, fast as possible, you use a J frame and speed strips, I'll use my Colt Cobra and safariland comp 3s.

Link Posted: 5/17/2013 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#2]
a round butt  j frame and a nice folding knife is a great combo.  the revolver can fire from inside the pocket if needed.  and is less prone to lint issues.  but a revolver is not perfect just easier than the micro 380s
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What slim pocket autos would you reccomend then?

Sig P238 or its now bigger brother (but dimensional almost exactly the same) P938 in 9x19.

Good sights, light recoil, DA/SA, mags are tiny so carry reloads isn't a problem.

Link Posted: 5/17/2013 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
All great points! I'm siding towards the revolver over the smaller semi auto. Any recommendations of small revolver?

So, you'd choose a limited capacity, slow to reload, bulky pistol over a slimmer easier to conceal pistol, that's faster to reload that can even have spare magazines that hold a greater capacity than the concealed one, and have a ballistic advantage when it comes to short barrels?  

To each their own.

You may conceal it easily, but it's undeniably physically larger in dimension than small .380s.

Can carry extra ammo easily on speed strips, reloads are a breeze.......
Post video you you reloading in a "breeze" with speed strips.

The fastest revolver reloads are with moon clips or Safariland style speed loaders.

its called practice with what you carry ....then do it again and again and again......you know what happens with lots of practice right?
I shoot revolver in IDPA and practice for it constantly.  I know ALL ABOUT shooting revolvers. That's how I know you're trying to blow smoke up my (and everyone else's) ass.

There are some great rounds out there in 38. I own a 360PD  so I have the ability to fire 38/357.....I load up with either the speer gold dots 125/135 +Ps or the corbon DPX 110+P round.....both nasty rounds and easy to shoot

Not that nasty. Pretty average performance.

Bottom line guys.......not a damn thing wrong with jframes......
Short barrel, poor ballistics, low capacity, slow reloads, easily bound cylinder, speed shooting can lead to trigger short stroking, cylender can be damaged if dropped when open leading to inoperable gun, list goes on.  

they work and work well,
They work adequately.

just get your range time in and build muscle memory.......
Pretty much the only good point you've made.

in my opinion carry what is comfy for you.....
Terrible advice.  People should carry what fills the roll they need, and what they can use to the best of their abilities.  Comfort comes after that.

a lightweight slimline 22 is better in my pocket than a rock.
Which informal fallacy is that, appeal to consequences?

Lets have a contest.  

12 rounds, fast as possible, you use a J frame and speed strips, I'll use my Colt Cobra and safariland comp 3s.

Maybe we should just whip our dicks out and see whos is bigger......lord have mercy.......carry what you like and practice......enough said
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I've weighed the pro's and con's of both and can't seem to convince myself to buy a revolver.

Revolver's
-Very reliable. But if it fails your screwed worse then with an auto.
-Can shoot through the fabled pocket.
-Long DA trigger pull. Not an issue but shooting them with sweaty hands its a factor.
-Only 5 rounds.
-Speed loader makes carrying a reload harder to conceal. Speed strips are easier to carry but are impractical to reload in a critical incident.

Auto
-Faster reloads.
-Thinner
-Better trigger
-Slightly less reliable. This could be negated by a quality gun though. A Kahr, Shield, PSS, XDs, DB9, etc. are all easier to conceal then the snubby. One could argue that many of these are as reliable as a full size gun.
-Easy to carry extra mags.

Again can't seem to bring myself to get a revolver... With the thickness of the cylinder and most of the grips I might as well carry a single stack which is going to be the superior weapon in every way except shooting with the gun in a pocket.(Not gonna happen anyway since Louisiana weather doesn't lend itself to wearing a jacket often.)
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

snip

Maybe we should just whip our dicks out and see whos is bigger......lord have mercy.......carry what you like and practice......enough said

IMHO when people share opinions like facts, and don't share the pros and cons of things, there is NOT enough said.

You gave incomplete at best, to horrible advice perpetuating half truths that lead people to making terrible purchasing decisions, and therefore concealed carry and personal protection decisions at worst.  You gave the type of advice that I spent a year as an RSO and instructor trying to fix.
Boo, boo I say!

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I've owned and carried a number of different handguns over the 27  years I've had my CWL and always seem to come back to my SS J frame.   It's small enough to carry in my front pocket and I can carry a few speed loaders in my other pocket.   I can put it in action a lot faster then when I'm using a concealed holstered auto and being  mindful of the rule of threes I believe it gives me a better chance.   I always use factory well crimped ammo for defense and have never had a problem.   Not knocking anybody's choice for self defense, but for me a revolver has always been more reliable and easier to point shoot.  

Speaking of revolver reloads , I love to watch Jerry Miculek  in this incredible video:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsLx5ISBXw4
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#8]
My personal experience is that a hammerless j-frame hides better (due to smooth curves that form to the body more) than a squared off SA with corners. The 442/642 also draw way faster than any pocketed SA. Too much to snag.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 7:01:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

In summary: Neither is adequate in my opinion. They are popular because they are convenient, not because they are effective.

My opinion is that snub nose .38s and .380 and 9mm small pocket autos are hold out guns. They are all the rage these days since people choose them for comfort, very easy concealability and will never fire their weapon in self defense.

These small pistols and revolvers suffer from low ammuntion capacity, woefully inadequate sights, and some are of suspect quality or questionable material choice for a fighting handgun.  If I am going to carry a gun I am going to bring a full or mid size duty handgun that is fielded by a military service and/or police force in a 1st world country. I can carry a Glock 23 and a spare mag all day long in a IWB holster with minimal discomfort. But it isn't as comfortable as a mouse gun, nor is it as easy to conceal.

Gun fighting rules:

1. Have a gun. This means don't leave it in your car. It is in a holster you can quickly draw from on your person that you are familiar and comfortable wearing

2. Bring enough gun. This means no mouse guns, derringers and other guns which are hold out guns. Made to be carried as secondary or tertiary BACKUP weapons.

3. Bring enough ammo: Carry a reload.

4. Shoot straighter than your enemy who is trying to kill you. Get training and practice with your carry piece every chance you get. That doesn't mean plinking from a range. It means getting dirty, firing from standing, kneeling, supine (laying on back) and prone from every piece of cover you can think up. It means means practicing dry firing and drawing (w/ snap caps, safety first!). You had better have a real reason to swap between make/models of firearms. Muscle memory is a powerful thing and in a piss your pants lethal force encounter you will revert to your LOWEST level of training. I do not rotate or change my EDC gun for this reason.

5. Have a light. target ID and know your backstop.

6. I always carry pepper spray because I really don't want to shoot someone that could be handled with pepper spray.

As someone who has carried a gun for a living as a combat infantryman and as a police officer that is just like my opinion man.

All great points and I agree with you on it all, but rule 1 have "a gun" even if it only holds 6-8 rounds is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 7:18:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To each their own.

Previous post directed to madcap72

Kahr or Ruger 9mm

Link Posted: 5/30/2013 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Looks like each has their own strengths. May have to buy both and be my own judge. ha. The XDs 9mm looks promising!

It's too big for pocket carry imo.

Link Posted: 5/30/2013 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Compared to the other option mentioned in this thread, yes.

Here's a J frame next to a small .380

http://2cooltoolz.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/use2.jpg

LCP width- .82 inches

S&W doesn't list width on their website but quick googling popped up several different answers for the 442, varying from 1.25" to 1.35".

So the 442 is ~.5" wider than an LCP.

Slide width on 1911s is .9" (excluding safety, just the slide itself), compared to the Glock 19 at 1.18".  Only ~.3" wider there causes people to bitch and moan about how much bulkier a Glock is than a 1911, but a .5" increase isn't bulky at all?  

Sorry, gotta disagree.  J frames are bulky compared to pocket semi autos.

Wow the revolver almost looks like a full size next to the lil .380.

Link Posted: 5/30/2013 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LCP width- .82 inches

S&W doesn't list width on their website but quick googling popped up several different answers for the 442, varying from 1.25" to 1.35".

Slide width on 1911s is .9" (excluding safety, just the slide itself), compared to the Glock 19 at 1.18".  Only ~.3" wider there causes people to bitch and moan about how much bulkier a Glock is than a 1911, but a .5" increase isn't bulky at all?  

Don't forget, it's been assured that J-frames are small and easy to conceal.

Link Posted: 5/31/2013 5:40:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

LCP width- .82 inches

Don't forget, it's been assured that J-frames are small and easy to conceal.

On a waist I can see how its can be possible, but in a pocket in summer clothes?

Link Posted: 6/2/2013 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I usually try to have more than one, if I am going to have a "pocket pistol", sometimes 3, I like to have a 642 or 638? (bodyguard) in a jacket pocket and a DB 9 in a pocket holster or on my belt, +/- a ruger lcp in another pocket/holster. The revolver can be used from within a pocket in worst case, and you have back up with the worst case 9" of penetration (80gr corbon dpx .380s).

In warmer weather, i run the 9mm and the 380.

I find I shoot automatics with decent triggers much better than j frame revolvers, even though I practice a bit with the revolvers. I perfer the bodyguard pattern revolvers with the ability to use single action and its accuracy advantages.

I might very well choose a good 380 (LCP) over a 38 revolver in some conditions considering easier concealment and better accuracy, sacrficing some power.
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 4:48:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So much misinformation about revolvers gets spread around.

They really are not that great.  

People just think they are because they hear all the shit that gets parroted around about them, or shoot them under ideal conditions.

Not going to waste a bunch of time arguing predisposed opinions. OP, if you want to hear the drawbacks of revolvers let me know. There's a few, and they are pretty important.

For everyone advocating revolvers, I ask this...

What is the immediate action drill, for a revolver?

Immediate action drill for a revolver that fails to fire, is to press the trigger again.  Very fast compared to ejecting and reloading another round in an auto.

Link Posted: 6/3/2013 5:46:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Owning both a LCP and a 442 I'll say that the lighter weight and thinner profile of the LCP makes a big difference. Carry the biggest gun you can. But always carry a gun. With a small option like an LCP in your gunsafe there is no reason to ever say "Its just the gym, pool, beach, lake, ect i'll leave the gun in the car or at home."
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got both a P238 and a J-frame. I hate shooting my J-frame and it's not as easy to carry as my P238.

While I agree that the .380 Auto is inferior to the .38 Special ballistically, I also know that I can hit better with my P238. Hits are more effective than non-hits.

When I can't carry my TRP, G17 or G34, my P238 is what gets slipped in my pocket.
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

People just think they are because they hear all the shit that gets parroted around about them, or shoot them under ideal conditions.

Not going to waste a bunch of time arguing predisposed opinions. OP, if you want to hear the drawbacks of revolvers let me know. There's a few, and they are pretty important.

Immediate action drill for a revolver that fails to fire, is to press the trigger again. Very fast compared to ejecting and reloading another round in an auto.

*sigh*.
There's a lot more to it than that.
Why does everyone's knowledge of operating a revolver end at "pull the trigger again".
http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/articles/handguns/the-revolver-malfunction-drill/

Decent article.

Link Posted: 6/3/2013 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Immediate action drill for a revolver that fails to fire, is to press the trigger again. Very fast compared to ejecting and reloading another round in an auto.

*sigh*.

Why does everyone's knowledge of operating a revolver end at "pull the trigger again".

http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/articles/handguns/the-revolver-malfunction-drill/

Decent article.

You pull your revolver on someone attacking you. Your first pull of the trigger gives you a click.  Are you going to reload or pull the trigger again?

That will take upwards of 5 seconds or more to reload. I choose pull the trigger again.  That takes less than 1 sec and if that does not work reload.

The article is full of WTF.  High primers?  If you don't rotate the cylinder to check for those before you go out you f'd up.  Didn't check your gear.

The link you provide is all about selling a system.  ie making money.  Not common sense.

Link Posted: 6/3/2013 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hello all,

Ive spent most of my time on the AR side of this website but have been slowly gravitating to the handgun forum for a while.  A question arose between myself and some friends at the range, is 5 or 6 rounds of .38 +P in a small frame revolver preferable to 6 or 7 rounds of .380 or 9mm in a semi auto package?  I can see an argument in both directions but when an IWB/OWB carry is out of the question due to either, climate, circumstance or just simplicity of carry, would a pocket revolver or a pocket semi auto be favored for both concealability and personal protection?

Thanks!

I have both...Kahr PM9 and a S&W M&P 340.

Depends on my mood but if you made me pick one then it would be the revolver.
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 10:45:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*sigh*.

Decent article.

You pull your revolver on someone attacking you.Your first pull of the trigger gives you a click. Are you going to reload or pull the trigger again?

That will take upwards of 5 seconds or more to reload. I choose pull the trigger again. That takes less than 1 sec and if that does not work reload.

The article is full of WTF. High primers? If you don't rotate the cylinder to check for those before you go out you f'd up. Didn't check your gear.

The link you provide is all about selling a system. ie making money. Not common sense.

"The first and most common malfunction is a simple misfire. This is where stroking the trigger again is called for, as it brings a new round under the hammer. If it ignites, you’re back in business. If it doesn’t, follow the universal prescription: RELOAD!"

So basically you advocate doing exactly what the article recommends.

You just don't agree with knowing what to do past that?

Link Posted: 6/4/2013 6:53:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

*sigh*.

Decent article.

You pull your revolver on someone attacking you.Your first pull of the trigger gives you a click. Are you going to reload or pull the trigger again?

That will take upwards of 5 seconds or more to reload. I choose pull the trigger again. That takes less than 1 sec and if that does not work reload.

The article is full of WTF. High primers? If you don't rotate the cylinder to check for those before you go out you f'd up. Didn't check your gear.

The link you provide is all about selling a system. ie making money. Not common sense.

"The first and most common malfunction is a simple misfire. This is where stroking the trigger again is called for, as it brings a new round under the hammer. If it ignites, you’re back in business. If it doesn’t, follow the universal prescription: RELOAD!"

So basically you advocate doing exactly what the article recommends.

You just don't agree with knowing what to do past that?

So getting back to your original premise.  Which is faster to fire again after a round does not go off.  The Revolver wins everytime.  New chamber, new round with a pull of the trigger.  With the auto you need to cycle the slide, eject and make sure a new round chambers before firing.

That being said I carry an auto for the higher capacity, but the revolver does have it advantages.

Link Posted: 6/4/2013 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Diamondback DB9

I don't really consider a snub .38 SPC to be a pocket gun.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top