Author
Posted: 12/13/2012 9:31:33 PM
Hello All,

Illinois resident getting excited about the possibility of actually getting a concealed carry law... Anyway, my question to you guys is what would you prefer? A Kimber Solo Carry or a Sig P238. I am aware that one is a 9mm and one is a .380, I do not need a lecture on 9mm having more stopping power and penetration power over a .380.

I have shot the Sig P238 many times (my dad has one) and I really like the gun. I like the 1911 style with a thumb safety and the good sights that it has. As to Kimber, the only Kimber I am familiar with is a Ultra CDP II and I have also shot it many times as it is one of my pistols. I can shoot it very accurately as well, but it seems to be picky on ammo which frustrates me.

Anyway, my question is what would you rather carry... a P238 (SAS model is what I am about to buy) or a Kimber Solo? As mentioned, I am aware that the 9mm is optimal in comparison to the .380.... My thoughts are that this will be when I can't conceal a larger pistol.
RemGuy
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/13/2012 9:46:21 PM
[Last Edit: 12/13/2012 9:48:43 PM by RemGuy]
I had a Kimber Solo and a Sig P238 at the same time. While the Kimber is a fine product, I liked the Sig better for three reasons. First, I prefer the traditional single action trigger over the "odd" trigger of the Kimber. Second, the recoil springs on the Kimber were overly heavily. I repeatedly failed to chamber a round. Third, the two extra round larger magazine on the Kimber was bulky and negatively affected conceal-ability. So I traded the Kimber on a Sig P938 and I am much more pleased with the Sig 9mm.
les_strat
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/13/2012 11:15:22 PM
There have been several occurences and articles written on the reliability of both. There are other more reliable choices in that category of pistol.
usnpjs
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/14/2012 5:46:13 AM
Sig 938, much like the 238, just a little bigger and a full on 9mm, I like mine!
SharnPenndroen
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/14/2012 8:48:09 AM
If you like the P238, get the P938. 9mm much better to have than the 380 and they are almost the same size.
jackd1
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/14/2012 9:47:15 AM
Originally Posted By Parker22:
Hello All,

Illinois resident getting excited about the possibility of actually getting a concealed carry law... Anyway, my question to you guys is what would you prefer? A Kimber Solo Carry or a Sig P238. I am aware that one is a 9mm and one is a .380, I do not need a lecture on 9mm having more stopping power and penetration power over a .380.

I have shot the Sig P238 many times (my dad has one) and I really like the gun. I like the 1911 style with a thumb safety and the good sights that it has. As to Kimber, the only Kimber I am familiar with is a Ultra CDP II and I have also shot it many times as it is one of my pistols. I can shoot it very accurately as well, but it seems to be picky on ammo which frustrates me.

Anyway, my question is what would you rather carry... a P238 (SAS model is what I am about to buy) or a Kimber Solo? As mentioned, I am aware that the 9mm is optimal in comparison to the .380.... My thoughts are that this will be when I can't conceal a larger pistol.

To your question, I would pick the Sig over the Solo. JD
Nakanokalronin
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/14/2012 10:01:14 PM
[Last Edit: 12/14/2012 10:07:31 PM by Nakanokalronin]
I had the Solo and still have a P238. The Solo is nice and small, but it's just not right for a 9mm round. I had the standard model and IMO, Kimber should be putting that front strap checkering on every Solo they make since it's quite slippery otherwise.

I don't have a P938 and I've seen spotty reports on reliability so far so if it's pocket carry you're looking for, go with the P238 at this point. Let me see if I still have any comparison shots of the two...

ETA: Only comparison picture I have left. They're basically the same length and height , but the Solo is thicker which made it print more in the pocket for me. For those always wearing baggy clothes just to hide firearms, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. For me, I like having firearms that don't require a major wardrobe change.

Kristofer_G
The 7.62x25mm 1911 guy.
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/14/2012 10:29:40 PM
Originally Posted By Parker22:
Hello All,

I bought my wife a Solo Carry this year. It is an easy to shoot, very accurate pistol for its size. I like the trigger because I am used to a Glock. The eight round magazines are idiotic, I wish I had not gotten any of them. It has liked all the factroy ammo I have tried in it but Aguila 124gr FMJ. S&B and AE 124gr FMJ were flawless. Ranger T and Bonded 124+P were flawless. S&B 140 FMJ subsonic was flawless. It would not chamber my 124gr Berry's PFP reloads. I switch to Montana Gold 124gr CMJ and tat problem seems to have gone away. I have not had a chance to shoot any of my new loads yet.

I would take a Solo.
schwartzint1
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/14/2012 11:31:54 PM
Sig hands down
Brandi
I can outshoot you so there's your title biatch.
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/15/2012 12:57:57 AM
Absolutely a Solo.....even with the very best .380 ammo that caliber is at the very bottom of what is acceptable. Having shot a lot of ammo through the Solo CDP I can't think of any other mini-auto that can offer the size, weight, accuracy, reliability or power. I would never choose anything smaller than a 9mm for human targets (that's just my opinion...well many more than just me). Can the newest super .380 ammo work? Yes, if everything works in your favor but why take that chance when you can get a 9mm in the same sized package? It's your life but I'd never do it. I've heard people constantly bash the Solo for every reason in the book but I've never seen any of the problems show in ours. I love that little gun, I'd carry it around if I could but I couldn't get it away from my bff if I tried. In my opinion the Solo CDP (with the night sights and laser) is the finest mini-auto available. Yes, the trigger takes a little getting used to but once you do you can easily put holes where you want them.

I've got nothing against Signs, I like them a lot, but in this case, IMO the Solo takes the win.
Sic gorgiamus allows subjectos nunc
Parker22
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/15/2012 11:23:09 PM
I would like to pick one up and see how I like it but I have yet to find one at a gunshot... I have been looking on and off ever since they came out because I would like to see one and handle one. I have yet to find a solo!

I do not want to change my wardrobe. I am a 175lbs 5'10" male. Don't prefer baggy clothes....

Considering the recent events who knows if Illinois will be getting any sort of concealed carry now