Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2012 7:07:37 PM EDT
I have a 1937 Luger and my factory magazine does not function very well. Half way down the magazine it gets very hard to guide the follower down, and then suddenly gets easy. Something is obviously bent, or something. I took the mag apart to clean in and I still have the same issue.

So I would like to get some more magazines. I see mec-gar is pretty much the only player in town, but does anyone know where I can find them in stock? Anyone have experience with them?
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#1]
oops, sorry, n/m
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 6:52:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I've bought them from CDNN & had real good results with mine. They're not cheap for a single stack, but whadya gonna do?  
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've bought them from CDNN & had real good results with mine. They're not cheap for a single stack, but whadya gonna do?  

Yea $30+ is a lot for a single stack, but they have the market cornered.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Last time that I checked CDNN, they were out of MecGars. That was a few months ago. Midway has them listed as out of stock and is constantly postponing the availability date.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#5]
For Luger collectors who shoot their pistols, Mecgars are the prefered magazine.  They are a quality mag that often funcions better than original mags.  They are what I use in all my "shooter" lugers.....
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#6]
+4.......... Mecgars are excellent Luger mags.
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#7]
CDNN is listing some "OEM" Luger mags in their latest catalog, might be worth a try.

Although I don't know who could be an original equipment manufacturer for Luger mags except for Mauser!
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:54:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For Luger collectors who shoot their pistols, Mecgars are the prefered magazine.  They are a quality mag that often funcions better than original mags.  They are what I use in all my "shooter" lugers.....

I was given this Luger by my father in law. I consider it a shooter since it is in fine shape  mechanically, but has a small amount of surface rust, and some damaged bluing. I love shooting the thing...I can clear a plate rack with it faster than my Glock or M&P lol.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I use mecgars in my Luger my grandpa the mags he had with it are worn out but they were used a large amount I imagine.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I use mecgars in my Luger my grandpa the mags he had with it are worn out but they were used a large amount I imagine.

I only have one mag and it has a visible dent on the side. I removed the base plate and got the dent out, somewhat. It works, but it is hard to load, and you cannot shoot rapidly, or it will malfunction.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#11]
CDNN obviously got their info wrong. OEM and subcontractors were

DWM
C.G. Haenel
Erfurt
Simson
Mauser

post WWII made in Suhl on original equipment
2/1001

Original magazines are a field of collectibles in itself and can fetch amazing amounts! If an old Luger mag does not work right, the spring can be replaced to bring the mag back to life. For easier loading of a mag with the stiff spring, there is the small Luger tool that also works on the grip screws and aids in the disassembly of the firing pin.

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I ended up picking up a set of grips and a mecgar magazine from a big gun show in VA today. I paid $35 for the magazine and $15 for the grips.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Mec Gar magazines work extremely well in my Swiss Luger.  In fact, I think the quality of the Mec Gar magazine is the equal of the original Swiss magazine.

An original Swiss Luger magazine costs over 200 dollars.  The Mec Gar magazine is a wonderful bargain.

If anyone is looking for one, they are available from Marstar here in Canada.  I'm sure they would ship a few magazines to the U.S.

http://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/product.jsp?productid=79021
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top