Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2012 9:54:16 AM EDT

The Beretta 90-Two (usually called the "dash-2" for short) was an attempt to improve upon some of the complaints about the original M9/92FS series firearms.    It added a standard picatinny rail, internal buffer for increased recoil absorption, dovetailed front sight, captured guide rod, and new/updated safety switch/mag release/trigger bar/hammer/slide/frame to change the overall look of the gun.   The biggest change of all however was the grip.   The 90-two has a polymer grip sleeve offered in two sizes: standard and slim.   The grip is probably the most controversial aspect of this pistol; some like it and others (myself included) don't particularly care for it.    The best way to describe it is "slippery."    Stippling and adding some grip tape help but it still can leave you searching for more.

Pros:

[*]100% reliable so far (about 700 rounds)
    [*]Good sight picture
    [*]Balances well in the hand
    [*]With the D spring, DA pull is very good (smooth, not too heavy/light)
    [*]Accepts standard lights/accessories
    [*]Finish is beautiful, it's a very good looking gun in my opinion
    [*]Accurate firearm (the group I shot was evidence of this, although I probably couldn't do it again if I tried!)
    [*]Comes with 3 17 round, well made magazines
    [*]Price––I paid $499 for mine with night sights and also recieved a $50 mail in rebate
    [*]Very well built firearm
    [*]Low percieved recoil

Cons:

[*]SA trigger could be more crisp
    [*]Very little aftermarket support
    [*]Grip is slippery
    [*]Made in Italy only
    [*]May be discontinued in the future

Overall, it's a very good gun with one flaw (grip) but that wouldn't keep me from recommending it.  To me, any gun that is very reliable and accurate will always be a good gun in my book.    That said, if money isn't part of the equation, I'd proably opt for the 92A1 which incorporates many of the same features but keeps the standard 92 series grips.

Here's a video demonstrating some shooting, an 'accuracy test' (again, the gun is undoubtedly more accurate than the shooter in this case), assembly/dissasembly, table top review, and some chronograph testing.  

90-Two Review Video

Chronograph Data:

Winchester Ranger 115gr JHP: 1183fps, 357ft/lbs of energy
Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP: 1239fps, 422ft/lbs of energy
Federal HST 124gr JHP: 1134fps, 354ft/lbs of energy
Federal HST +p 124gr JHP: 1188fps, 389ft/lbs of energy
Remington UMJ 115gr JHP: 1235fps, 389ft/lbs of energy
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks. These style reviews are always a pleasure to watch/read.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#2]
My son has one .40 S&W and he's always bragging on the accuracy.  I hope it never gives him a reason to change his mind as its his CCW.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Good review. It's probably my favorite overall pistol.

Where the hell did you get one for $499?

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good review. It's probably my favorite overall pistol.

Where the hell did you get one for $499?

Yea, thats a hell of a price.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you put that slide on a regular 92?

It's a good looking gun, but I'm afraid that I don't see Beretta sticking with them, and I am expecting to see them cheap on CDNN shortly.

The recoil absorber idea is kind of neat.  Maybe they can re-invent this with some retained features as a new vertex....

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Maybe they can re-invent this with some retained features as a new vertex....

It has a Vertec grip option.

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I always wondered how you were supposed to say it.  I always just said "ninety tee double u oh."
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's a good looking gun, but I'm afraid that I don't see Beretta sticking with them, and I am expecting to see them cheap on CDNN shortly.

The recoil absorber idea is kind of neat.  Maybe they can re-invent this with some retained features as a new vertex....

They use the system on the new A1's.

Also i'm guessing he got it from Botach Tactical, it was a great sale but i cheaped out and got an Arcus 98DA.

Question though are the night sights actually tritium? The ones i've seen needed light to charge them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I always wondered how you were supposed to say it.  I always just said "ninety tee double u oh."

The name was intended for the Italian market so that it would be pronounced in English.

"Ninety Two."

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They use the system on the new A1's.

Also i'm guessing he got it from Botach Tactical, it was a great sale but i cheaped out and got an Arcus 98DA.

Question though are the night sights actually tritium? The ones i've seen needed light to charge them.

Botach is correct.   Yes, they're tritium (Trijicons )   Summitgunbroker has some of these in 40 now for $399!!! I'd jump on that if you're interested in this gun in 40S&W.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Are these police surplus, or new?

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#12]
a very slick looking gun, but unfortunately the grip issue and lack of holsters made it pretty unpopular here. The 92A1 took most of the features of the 90two and put it on a normal railed frame so there are actual grip options.

I have a problem with Beretta discontinuing all of its optimal 92 variants in lieu of the PX4, such as the 92G, 92G Compact, 92G Vertec, Elite II, and 92G-SD.

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
a very slick looking gun, but unfortunately the grip issue and lack of holsters made it pretty unpopular here. The 92A1 took most of the features of the 90two and put it on a normal railed frame so there are actual grip options.

I have a problem with Beretta discontinuing all of its optimal 92 variants in lieu of the PX4, such as the 92G, 92G Compact, 92G Vertec, Elite II, and 92G-SD.

I have a feeling that they will eventually go back to the 92 variants.  

Every other pistol that Beretta has released has been a flop with no unique or competitive features.  They are just kind of...there.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 4:56:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Are these police surplus, or new?

New.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 4:59:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got one with the 'slim' vertec grip. My favorite Beretta so far, I've always wanted a vertec but couldn't find one, once I tried the slim grip I was hooked. The reduced recoil isn't significant but noticeable. I wrapped my grip in flocking paper, the kind used for lining telescopes. Kind of a soft velvety material, similar to Agrip's material, which is more of a suede. i wish Agrip had a precut for the slim grip, if my flocking paper doesn't hold up I may try a full sheet of Agrip and cut it myself. Someone else also suggested a stippling spray from Brownell's, since the grip slips off it'd be easy to shoot without masking off the gun.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes, the PX4 is... unfortunate.   I won't own one.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have never even seen one in the wild. I have read mixed reviews about it online, that's it. Never seen one at a match, at the range, or at a training class.

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never even seen one in the wild. I have read mixed reviews about it online, that's it. Never seen one at a match, at the range, or at a training class.

I shoot 3-gun with a guy who has a PX4 .40.   He does pretty well with it, but he's been trying to sell it for quite a while now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I shoot 3-gun with a guy who has a PX4 .40.   He does pretty well with it, but he's been trying to sell it for quite a while now.
what are his complaints?

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

what are his complaints?

I think he wants a longer sight radius and larger capacity, and to move away from the DA / SA trigger system.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

what are his complaints?

I think he wants a longer sight radius and larger capacity, and to move away from the DA / SA trigger system.

G34
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I have one threaded for my trident.  Works good for me
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 4:21:18 AM EDT
[#23]
A plasti dip treatment could solve your grip problem.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 4:44:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't they also use the Beretta 92 series magazines?

CD
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Don't they also use the Beretta 92 series magazines?

CD

Yes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top