Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/9/2011 6:07:34 PM EDT
I was in the gun shop to buy a M&P9c and there was another gentleman trying to find a 9mm pocket pistol.  Pocket guns generally don't interest me, I have a P32 that I bought on a whim, but I don't have much trouble concealing a full size M&P or 1911 with a good belt and holster, and I generally don't care for pocket carry - just personal preference.  However, he was trying very hard to find something in 9mm for pocket carry, he looked at the LC9, a Kahr, a PF9, when the dealer brought out this Diamondback.  This was the first time I'd even heard of this company, and when I saw the DB9, my interest in pocket guns doubled.  

He made me a price of $330, and I thought what the hell.  With WI new CCW law, if I don't like it or want it, I shouldn't have trouble getting rid of it, and that price seemed reasonable when compared to the other small 9mm offerings.

I won't run through the data, since that's available online, and I did not get the opportunity to give it a proper workout tonight, the bugs drove me back inside after a few magazines.  So I won't tout it's reliability, only my first impressions.  The trigger on this gun is a long travel DA pull, that is smooth and free of hitches or mushiness.  I believe with a little practice one could learn to control it quite well and shoot this more accurately than he might expect.  

Here's my best group of the night at 21 feet, no marksmanship awards, but adequate for hardly knowing the gun:

I didn't have much of a selection of 9mm on hand, however, (and again, I haven't fired it enough to make reliability claims) it cycled PMC 115 grain, Blazer 115 grain, and Winchester 115 grain Silver Tips without any hitches.  The 6 round magazine loads easily and feels well designed - no bulging or tilting or other tell tale signs of poor magazine construction.  Glock shooters will be familiar with the take down of the gun, one has to dry fire, retract the slide slightly and push down a double thumb level to strip the slide from the frame.  Easy to disassemble and easy to reassemble.

The slide even appears Glockish in profile:

So far, so good.  Shoots well, adequate trigger, feels good in my hand, and the recoil/muzzle flip is quite easy to manage.  I'll admit I was worried that 9mm in a gun this size and weight would be nearly uncontrollable, but that's not the case at all.  So how are the sights?

Some of the best I've seen on a pocket gun.  Here are some photos for size comparison:

Top to bottom: Polish P64, DB9, P32

Only slightly larger than the P32:

S&W MP9c and DB9:

Slightly smaller than the MP:

Quite a bit narrower than the MP:

And fits in the palm of my dick skinner, which is my main criteria for a "pocket" gun.  If it's the size of my hand it will fit in my pocket.

So, time will tell if this is a durable gun, but my initial impression is that for <$350, it may be an excellent choice for those looking for a pocket gun, but won't settle for .380.  I hope to add a Crimson Trace laser in the future, as well as a couple more magazines.  At this point in time that's my chief complaint - it only came with 1.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice report, please give us updates as you put more rounds through it.

Trying hard to find a reason to NOT buy one of these but if the gun ends up reliable, it's kind of a no brainer to buy.
My one and only complaint is no slide lock back but on such a small gun thats not a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm at 246 rounds through my DB9, and the only issues i have had were a few stove pipes the first time out.  I had a CT on it the first time out, but took it off because of problems others were having.

Since then 3 more trips with anywhere from 50 to 71 rounds at a time with not one problem.  

Loving mine so far.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I want to see how this gun stacks up against the Kahr CM9 that just came out.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Purely from a statistical standpoint, the DB is smaller, lighter, thinner, and cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 11:59:07 PM EDT
[#5]
$330 is a good price they are $360 on gunbroker
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Funny you brought thie up.  Yesterday i was looking at a local fun store & saw one as well.  First time i ever heard the name.  Felt nice in my hands but i already had a gun i was picking up.. .wife would've killed me with getting 2.  Let us know how it holds up.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's got to be getting really close to cost, great deal by your FFL.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's got to be getting really close to cost, great deal by your FFL.

They treat me well.  In return, I buy everything I can from them.  I'm 31 years old and I've been buying guns there for 19 years if you go back to my first .22  Also, they get a lot of stuff on promotional deals, discounts, closeouts, rather than trying to stock everything under the sun.  I'm not their average customer so a lot of times they end up stuck with guns no one around here really wants, that I'll buy just to have one because I dig guns.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like you lucked out based on many other internet reports of lemons
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks like you lucked out based on many other internet reports of lemons

Overblown.

Really most of the guns I have heard about work fine.  Sure there are some issues, but the newest batch has fixed these.

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Gun rags:  Every gun is AWESOME!!!
Internet: Every gun SUCKS!!!
Me:  I don't know until I try it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Gun rags:  Every gun is AWESOME!!!
Internet: Every gun SUCKS!!!
Me:  I don't know until I try it.

+1,000,000,000,000,000
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone thinking about getting one just make sure that you're happy carrying Hornady critical defense ammo!

My DB380 wouldn't cycle my Winchester Rangers so I sent it back to DB. They sent it back to me and since they could get it to work with Hornady Critical Defense they said they couldn't help me any further. No thanks on any further DB products
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone thinking about getting one just make sure that you're happy carrying Hornady critical defense ammo!

My DB380 wouldn't cycle my Winchester Rangers so I sent it back to DB. They sent it back to me and since they could get it to work with Hornady Critical Defense they said they couldn't help me any further. No thanks on any further DB products

I shoot the Hornady Critical Defense ammo in my DB380, but have no problems shooting 147gr Winchester Ranger SXT's in my DB9.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Kuraki

thanks for the great report, keep it up.

CD
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Very interested...

Now the hard part of either finding a used one or finding a dealer with a gun with a fired casing.

NY
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought a DB9 last Friday.  I haven't had a chance to get out and shoot it but I'll give you my first impressions:

Size - Amazing.  It is a bit larger than my P-3AT and a bit harder to conceal in tighter pants.  But compared to guns with similar power and capacity it is a marvel.  It does make the grade as a pocket gun.  My S&W 642 is larger, thicker, heavier, carries fewer shots and is slower to reload.

Trigger - Perfect for this type of gun.  The trigger is long but very smooth.  It is made out of steel and is comfortable to the touch.  I like the design of the trigger bars with one on each side.  It has a single reset.  The Kel-tec has a false reset before the real reset.  If you pull the trigger after the false reset it will lock the gun up on the older ones or fail to fire on the newer ones.  

Quality - Much higher than the Kel-tec.  Less pronounced mold lines.  A better ejector.  An aluminum mag catch rather than the problematic plastic one on my Kel-tec.  Overall design seems to be pretty much a Glock knock-off, which is a good thing.  

Sights - Similar to a Glocks and can be replaced / upgraded.  

I've done quite a bit of dry firing and I'm getting quite comfortable with it.  I can't wait to get to the range and run some rounds through it.

Link Posted: 7/13/2011 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bought a DB9 last Friday.  I haven't had a chance to get out and shoot it but I'll give you my first impressions:

Size - Amazing.  It is a bit larger than my P-3AT and a bit harder to conceal in tighter pants.  But compared to guns with similar power and capacity it is a marvel.  It does make the grade as a pocket gun.  My S&W 642 is larger, thicker, heavier, carries fewer shots and is slower to reload.

Trigger - Perfect for this type of gun.  The trigger is long but very smooth.  It is made out of steel and is comfortable to the touch.  I like the design of the trigger bars with one on each side.  It has a single reset.  The Kel-tec has a false reset before the real reset.  If you pull the trigger after the false reset it will lock the gun up on the older ones or fail to fire on the newer ones.  

Quality - Much higher than the Kel-tec.  Less pronounced mold lines.  A better ejector.  An aluminum mag catch rather than the problematic plastic one on my Kel-tec.  Overall design seems to be pretty much a Glock knock-off, which is a good thing.  

Sights - Similar to a Glocks and can be replaced / upgraded.  

I've done quite a bit of dry firing and I'm getting quite comfortable with it.  I can't wait to get to the range and run some rounds through it.

You're going to love it.  Recoil is snappy, but much better than my S&W 340PD.

It's found a permanent home in my pocket.

Link Posted: 7/20/2011 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I posted this in another DB9 thread in another forum.  But I figured it might reach some other DB9 owners if I re-posted it here.

I just finished my modification to the DB9s mag floorplate. I'm a big fan of the GAP floorplates that are made for the G26/G27. I use them on a 2nd Gen G19 that I cut down to take G26 mags. It really helps me control the pistol without adding length. I think I have more control with those than having a finger extension that allows me to use my pinkie. So I wanted to make something similar for the DB9.

The floorplate has a raised area on the front half of the bottom. I cut the very front of that raised area but left the sides. Then I cut it into a dovetail. I cut up a Glock floorplate into a piece that fit into that dovetail.

Then I used epoxy to glue the two together and add some material to reinforce. Afterwards I painted it with Krylon Fusion flat black.  The end result works exactly like I hoped.  It fits tight up against the bottom of my ring finger.  I can already tell that I have a firmer grip on the gun.  The real proof will be in firing it and seeing how it helps control muzzle flip.

Link Posted: 7/20/2011 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I posted this in another DB9 thread in another forum.  But I figured it might reach some other DB9 owners if I re-posted it here.

I just finished my modification to the DB9s mag floorplate. I'm a big fan of the GAP floorplates that are made for the G26/G27. I use them on a 2nd Gen G19 that I cut down to take G26 mags. It really helps me control the pistol without adding length. I think I have more control with those than having a finger extension that allows me to use my pinkie. So I wanted to make something similar for the DB9.

The floorplate has a raised area on the front half of the bottom. I cut the very front of that raised area but left the sides. Then I cut it into a dovetail. I cut up a Glock floorplate into a piece that fit into that dovetail.

Then I used epoxy to glue the two together and add some material to reinforce. Afterwards I painted it with Krylon Fusion flat black.  The end result works exactly like I hoped.  It fits tight up against the bottom of my ring finger.  I can already tell that I have a firmer grip on the gun.  The real proof will be in firing it and seeing how it helps control muzzle flip.

Look forward to seeing how holds up and if it helps hold onto the little thing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#21]
If these hold up, I might consider picking one up to replace the P32 in my pocket.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Another 50 rounds through the gun this week.  I know, it's not much, I need to get a couple more magazines.  So far, not a single problem, and it's by far the easiest to shoot accurately of any pocket pistol I've tried.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Another 50 rounds through the gun this week.  I know, it's not much, I need to get a couple more magazines.  So far, not a single problem, and it's by far the easiest to shoot accurately of any pocket pistol I've tried.

Have you tried the Kel-Tec PF-9?  A comparison would be great, if you have.  I'm trying to decide between it and the DB9.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you tried the Kel-Tec PF-9?  A comparison would be great, if you have.  I'm trying to decide between it and the DB9.  

I've had the PF9, LC9 and DB9; out of all of them the DB9 is really the only one that's truly a pocket gun.  Plus the DB9 has a better trigger by far and is easier to shoot.

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't shot the PF-9, but I did chose the DB-9 over it in the store due to size, like the previous poster mentioned - it's not really pocketable.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 3:57:49 AM EDT
[#26]

I've had the PF9, LC9 and DB9; out of all of them the DB9 is really the only one that's truly a pocket gun.  Plus the DB9 has a better trigger by far and is easier to shoot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/Guns/IMG_8536.jpg

These are the things that attract me to the gun.  I just have to decide if I can afford it, and whether the internet reports of failures are just the vocal minority.

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxet0n2L_Q0
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 12:17:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Looks pretty good so far.  Will look into it further.  I viewed Gunblast vid on yt and he states only use premium ammo.
Just saw another vid.   The guy measured the trigger pull at 7 lbs vs 5 lbs advertised.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 12:31:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 2:34:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I just purchased one.  No issues in the 200rds of 115gr FMJ, 20rds of PMC HP, and 20rds of Powerball.  

I'm happy with mine.  I paid $400 out the door at a local dealer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:42:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Just picked one up on Tuesday.  Shot 100rnds, mostly 115gr FMJ federal and two mags of 124gr +p speed gold dots.   Not one problem yet
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd like to see them offer an extended 7 rd magazine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Mine doesn't seem to like loading a 124 grain Gold Dot from a full mag.  It runs like a top as log as there are no more than 5 in the mag.  Looking at it it sure seems like the round is angled down a bit far from a fully loaded mag.  I'm going to see if I can get the updated mag follower from DB.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Mine doesn't seem to like loading a 124 grain Gold Dot from a full mag.  It runs like a top as log as there are no more than 5 in the mag.  Looking at it it sure seems like the round is angled down a bit far from a fully loaded mag.  I'm going to see if I can get the updated mag follower from DB.

Mine is a little buggy.  You just have to drop the slide and not ride it at all.   They're harder to eject manually but they cycle just fine when firing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is a little buggy.  You just have to drop the slide and not ride it at all.   They're harder to eject manually but they cycle just fine when firing.

That's what I noticed with mine, anyone else? The chamber is very tight, so if you chamber a round, it gets stuck. If you try to rack the slide to eject it, it's almost impossible because the round is wedged in there. you can see this if you disassemble and merely push in a round on a bare barrel. I haven't shot it yet though, we'll see how it does after a few rounds...
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Mine jams loading a Gold Dot from a full mag when the gun is fired or cycled by hand.  It's got to be a mag issue (follower or spring likely) since it loads Gold Dots fine the rest of the time, even cycled by hand gently.

ETA - No problems cycling a loaded round out of the chamber.

ETA #2 - BTW a standard pressure 124 grain Gold Dot crono'd at 1140 fps out of my DB9.

Link Posted: 8/26/2011 7:19:36 AM EDT
[#37]
The Gold Dot load is the one ammo that the DB9 is known to not like.  Mine runs 147gr Winchester Ranger SXT ammo like a top.

Link Posted: 8/26/2011 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#38]
steve:
super holster:  what is the make?  

thanks
billboy
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#39]
http://rkbaholsters.com/index.htm

ETA - BTW he doesn't have that style of holster on his site yet.  Looks like he only has the type with the single clip listed.  I'd email him.

Link Posted: 9/3/2011 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Anybody have any pics of the DB9 compared to the Kahr PM9? I'm looking to get something for pocket carry and would love to stay away from .380 as I don't particularly care for the round nor do I want to stock another caliber if I don't have to.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Anybody have any pics of the DB9 compared to the Kahr PM9? I'm looking to get something for pocket carry and would love to stay away from .380 as I don't particularly care for the round nor do I want to stock another caliber if I don't have to.

Link Posted: 9/3/2011 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Size wise, there are 2 major differences: thickness, which that last photo shows very well, and weight, 16 oz for the PM9, vs 11 for the Diamondback.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Size wise, there are 2 major differences: thickness, which that last photo shows very well, and weight, 16 oz for the PM9, vs 11 for the Diamondback.

+1

I carry the DB9 daily and barely even notice it is there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Went to see a film last night. I was wearing shorts. I threw the DB9 in my pocket in the Sticky pocket holster that Diamondback sells from their website. Easy peasy lemon squeasy. Pocket carry is what the LCP used to be for. Now I have 9mm +P DoubleTap hollowpoint goodness in my pocket. LCP is now for when I am in a business suit. DB9 is on me when I dress casually. Still love the LCP. But glad I have a DB9: much lighter than a Rohrbaugh and much more affordable. Mine works and I don't even have the pin-walking-out problem.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#45]
I really really want to pick up one of these but I keep hearing horror stories on them.  I even know a guy IRL who has one who never uses his because of its issues. (Not sure if its a .380 or a 9)

I need to pick up a new gun in the new few weeks so I'm kinda torn on what to get.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I really really want to pick up one of these but I keep hearing horror stories on them.  I even know a guy IRL who has one who never uses his because of its issues. (Not sure if its a .380 or a 9)

I need to pick up a new gun in the new few weeks so I'm kinda torn on what to get.

Early .380's had lots of issues.

Majority of the 9mm's work great, but like any small lightweight 9mm are prone to limpwristing.  Mine works 100% with 2-hand or with my strong side hand, i'm sure shooting lefty it would have issues.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#47]
One thing I will add is that I am not seeing the requirement for 'premium ammo.'  I shot some 9mm reloads that were the very first rounds I loaded.  They were loaded with the starting charge weight of Universal Clays.  They are so light that they barely cycle most guns and will fail to cycle my 92fs when it's a bit dirty.  But the DB9 ran them like a champ.  No issues.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I carry the DB9 daily and barely even notice it is there.

Same here. Hornady Critical Defense 115grn, and a pocket holster. I don't even notice the weight.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Went to see a film last night. I was wearing shorts. I threw the DB9 in my pocket in the Sticky pocket holster that Diamondback sells from their website. Easy peasy lemon squeasy. Pocket carry is what the LCP used to be for. Now I have 9mm +P DoubleTap hollowpoint goodness in my pocket. LCP is now for when I am in a business suit. DB9 is on me when I dress casually. Still love the LCP. But glad I have a DB9: much lighter than a Rohrbaugh and much more affordable. Mine works and I don't even have the pin-walking-out problem.

You do realize, The DB9 is NOT rated for +P... EVER.

Read your manual.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do realize, The DB9 is NOT rated for +P... EVER.

Read your manual.

Yes there is a contradiction between what the manual says and what the Diamondback sales manager said on the Diamondback forum. Manual says +P will void warranty. Diamondback sales manager says if you use +Ps in a self defense situation, it will not void the warranty. Here is the direct quote:

"It is safe to use +P ammo in the DB9; we fire proof loads through every gun that leaves our building. A proof load produces 3 times the pressure of a standard round, which is much higher than a +P round.

The reason we don't recommend +P ammo in the DB9 is that the DB9 is the smallest, lightest, and thinnest 9mm on the market. We are pushing the limits of physics building it this small. The internal parts are smaller than your average 9mm pistol and the added stress +P ammo puts on the parts will make them wear out faster.

+P ammo when you carry isn't going to hurt the gun and if you have to use it to defend yourself your warranty is fine. If you go to the range and run a bunch of +P through it for plinking targets you are going to cause undue stress on the internal parts and your warranty will be voided.Jason Goodman,Sales Manager, DB Firearms, [email protected]"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top