Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2017 2:21:55 PM EDT
I know all BHPs are special, but I was wanting to refinish this one, upgrade the sights, and upgrade the safety.  Is there anything unique about this pistol that would preclude me from doing that?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Does not look like anything special, other than being a Hi Power. Import mark would keep most collectors away from it even if it were. Go for it, and then post pics of it afterwards along with a target.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems to be a low number with matching numbers.

Third gens are stronger and stand up to more use according to an extensive article I read.

Cylinder and slide and IIRC Robar do nice work on High Powers.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd need to see both sides to see for sure what you have.

FN switched to a cast frame around the same time they switched to the Mk III Hi Powers.  It was done to accommodate the addition of the .40 S&W Hi Power as the cast slide was stronger than the forged slide so the .40 needed the cast slide, and the 9mm Hi Powers got it for production commonality purposes.

The purists whine about non forged slides, but the cast slide is stronger.

----

Cylinder and Slide will sell you the parts for an extended safety, or they will install it for you.   It's uncommon to have a "drop in" safety actually drop into a Hi Power without some minor fitting being needed.   However, if you're ok with tools, have some emory cloth and a set of small files, fitting one is pretty straight forward, only takes about 15 minutes, and is pretty hard to screw up as long as you remember to take the metal off the cheap parts, rather than the frame.

----

Rear sight options are limited on the older Hi Powers unless you're willing to have the slide milled, and the front sight will require the attention of a gunsmith to properly change it, unlike the Mk III Hi Power where the front sight is dovetailed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FN switched to a cast frame around the same time they switched to the Mk III Hi Powers.  It was done to accommodate the addition of the .40 S&W Hi Power as the cast slide was stronger than the forged slide so the .40 needed the cast slide, and the 9mm Hi Powers got it for production commonality purposes.

The purists whine about non forged slides frames, but the cast slide frame is stronger.
View Quote

Mine

Link Posted: 1/13/2017 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the left side of it:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:31:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Strange, the FN roll mark on the left side looks normal, but the serials look wrong for a slide with those markings.  

I'm thinking it may be a replacement slide and barrel that was force matched by an armorer at some point, but who knows.  FN was all over the place making weird combinations of parts and all different kinds of markings so it's hard to tell.

Either way, it's an import marked surplus pistol so I don't think a few tasteful modifications would do much to affect the value of it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 4:10:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Strange, the FN roll mark on the left side looks normal, but the serials look wrong for a slide with those markings.  

I'm thinking it may be a replacement slide and barrel that was force matched by an armorer at some point, but who knows.  FN was all over the place making weird combinations of parts and all different kinds of markings so it's hard to tell.

Either way, it's an import marked surplus pistol so I don't think a few tasteful modifications would do much to affect the value of it.
View Quote

The Import mark is in the usual spot that Mach1 uses, so my guess is the slide and barrel are Armorer forced-match's. Probably Israeli Police surplus?

I've got quite a few, and a couple are in the process of being refinished, so I'd say go ahead!
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
As best I can tell, that is a model of 1973 which were made from 1973-1983, so it has a forged/milled frame, and a hump-back feed ramp.  Nice gun, re-finish it or build it to suit and you'll be very happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Make it your own and shoot the crap out of it!  
Looks solid though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top