Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2016 2:17:07 PM EDT
Howdy all,

I am looking at getting the mag safety removed from my 2 BHPs.
I have heard that this will improve the trigger pul....is this correct?

Please advise of your experiences.
Thanks!!
-CG
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#1]
It helps.  The biggest advantage to my thinking is the mags will drop free.  The trigger on an HP will never been great, the design just doesn't allow for it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It makes it better yes

Its not even a hard modification if you have a set of punches
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#3]
It does improve the felt trigger pull, but not always as much as people think.  I've actually removed the mag safety and had it make no real difference in how the trigger felt.  Like already posted, I think the biggest advantage is having the magazines drop free after it's removed.

Depending on the year of your guns, you don't even have to punch the trigger pin to get it out on some.  I just took it out last week on a FEG without having to drift the trigger pin.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay I'll be the one out of four.  When I removed the mag safety from my MKIII the reset on my trigger went to shit. I basically have to release the trigger a good inch before I hear the reset click.

I do have a heavier reset spring coming in the the next few days, I've read that that will shorten the reset, I'll see when I install it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#5]
If your Hi Power has a  gritty feeling trigger, moving the magazine safety won't fix all of that.  You may have to polish some parts to smooth some of that out.

As others have noted the biggest benefit is the ability to have a non-mousetrap magazine drop free of the wag well.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Okay I'll be the one out of four.  When I removed the mag safety from my MKIII the reset on my trigger went to shit. I basically have to release the trigger a good inch before I hear the reset click.

I do have a heavier reset spring coming in the the next few days, I've read that that will shorten the reset, I'll see when I install it.
View Quote

I noticed the same issue with mine when I installed the Cylinder & Slide Wide trigger. The problem was two fold, the trigger bar had to be held forward just to get the slide past it as it protruded too high from the frame. Here was the C&S reply when I inquired about it:

"Our Wide Combat Trigger locates the trigger bar higher in frame. From your description it sounds like you need to remove some material from the top of the trigger bar. With the slide off the frame, look at the trigger bar in relation to the top of the frame rail, it should be slightly below the top of the frame rail. If you have to manipulate the trigger bar to get the slide on the trigger bar is too high. You won’t have to remove much material, so go slow and check your progress.
Regards,
C&S"

The reset is much improved and the trigger measures at 6.6 lbs with a smoother feel in addition to it removing completely the magazine disconnect. It's not a 1911 custom trigger, but no Hi-Power ever will be. I have had two C&S custom Hi-Power's, they had very good triggers, but not nearly as nice as any good 1911.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#8]
It is generally advised when one removes the MD, they should then install a 2 coil trigger spring as it was originally designed and helps with the reset.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Mine had a very gritty feel and I'd say removing the mag safety made it about 90+% better. Night and day difference to me, but it's subjective.  If you're used to a nice 1911 trigger you're going to have a hard time making the BHP compare. I'm more used to a factory Glock trigger so to me, the BHP without the mag safety feels pretty good.
View Quote

I bought a used one from cdisales as a Christmas present to myself.  I was really disappointed in the trigger, felt like you described really gritty.  After taking the mag disconnect out I am really happy with it now, and my mags drop free.  I'll add it was really dirty in there, looked like a mix of sand and oil.

win win imo.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It is generally advised when one removes the MD, they should then install a 2 coil trigger spring as it was originally designed and helps with the reset.
View Quote

I've got a surplus hi power ordered and planned to do the mag safety delete right off.

Got a link to this spring?

is it this?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:57:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've got a surplus hi power ordered and planned to do the mag safety delete right off.

Got a link to this spring?

is it this?
View Quote

Nope, the 2 coil is for the trigger.  I got mine from Wolff.

Scroll down to the trigger spring section, stock #15071

https://www.gunsprings.com/BROWNING/1935%20(HI%20POWER)/cID1/mID3/dID5#52
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top