Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2016 8:42:23 PM EDT
I know I've got a lot of work to do to get better again, but I was still pleased.  At least I'm not shooting left.  For some reason I shot my M9 and G26 at 25 yards 2 weeks ago and I was shooting left badly.  I don't get it.   But with the HiPower I'm on and even a little right at times.  Probably jerking the trigger a little.  Or what do you guys think it might mean?  

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
7 yards you are tearing the target up.  Perfect for a self defense gun.

I think at 25 you just need time with the trigger.   Maybe flinching?
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The M9 has a comparatively long trigger reach and unless you've got larger than average hands, that can result in less than an optimum amount of finger on the trigger, which combined with a heavy trigger can push the shots to the left.

As for the Glock, the trigger is right up there withe the finest triggers Craftsman ever put on a staple gun.

---

At long range, small groups require very precise sight alignment.  Your group is reasonably round, so I suspect you just need to work on sight alignment and trigger control to ensure you're holding the pressure when the sight picture is poor, and adding pressure when the sight picture is good so the shot goes when the picture and trend are good.

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely have to get more consistent.  At one time I could keep it on big chewed out hole at 7 yards pretty regularly, with my Kimber 1911.  And there was even a time when I could shoot a lot better at 25, even with the M9.  Need more practice.  And thanks for the tips!!!

Dakota:  LOL about the Glock trigger.  I hear you.  Actually, my G26's is one of the better Glock triggers I've felt.  And I have in the past shot it pretty well at 25 yards.  Not sure why I was left that lest time.  It was kind of frustrating.  And you know HiPowers, the triggers are not that great typically.  Mine has had work done and it's like a 6.5-7# trigger.  But it was 9-10 before the work.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#4]
25 yards is no cake walk when talking groups

It seems you groupings up close is nice and tight. Probably just need more time shooting. Youre on the right track
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Would not want to be Homer Simpson.

Txl
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm glad it's working.  I love the way it feels and I think I probably shoot it the best out of any pistol I have right now.  I used to shoot my M9 the best, but I haven't shot it much lately and I don't know I'm not doing as well with it.  I can't carry that thing anyways.  Last time I tried I got a backache the next day.  LOL.  

But it took a while to get this gun sorted out.  It failed the click test and I finally found someone locally that worked on it and it's good now.  But that was after I tried a new safety, a new sear, etc.  It was really frustrating.   But for being an all steel gun, it really is not bad to carry all day long.  I do feel it a bit more than the G26 by the end of the day.  But since I think I shoot it a little better, I'll stick with it for a while.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I removed the magazine disconnect and installed a Cylinder & Slide trigger, sear and extended safety. Hi-Power triggers are notoriously bad, mine isn't now.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 3:47:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I removed the magazine disconnect and installed a Cylinder & Slide trigger, sear and extended safety. Hi-Power triggers are notoriously bad, mine isn't now.
View Quote

I wouldn't call them notoriously bad, it's not like it is a Glock or Sigma or something.

It's not as nice as a 1911, but 1911's don't have magazine disconnects either.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought I mentioned I had work done.  I removed my mag disconnect early on.  And the trigger was still like 10#.  So yeah, mine was pretty bad.   Plus everyone hates the vague disconnect.  For some reason it doesn't bother me.  I just go all the way out like on a revolver.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Three BHP guy here..unless you are in love with them, I'd lose those grips.
VZ or Navidex grips will really give you a solid consistent hold.

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got three of them as well.

I'm a big fan of the Hi Power grips using the Spegel profile.  Wood is pretty, but Uncle Mikes made them in a rubber compound with just the right balance between hard and tacky,  It's unfortunate that they don't make them any more:

In defense of the Hogue grips, they don't look great, and they are not ideal for concealed carry, but they shoot very well.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Three BHP guy here..unless you are in love with them, I'd lose those grips.
VZ or Navidex grips will really give you a solid consistent hold.

View Quote

I've got about 2k rounds through this gun, FWIW.  Not sure what owning 3 of them is supposed to mean in regards to what grips to use.  

I don't quite get why I should "lose them".  They work.  You mean because they don't look so good?  Should I give a crap how they look if God forbid I ever had to use it?  They do give me a good grip on the gun and it doesn't move.  Now, I've always wanted some of them Uncle Mikes  Dakota posted above.  Because the finger grooves can be kind of annoying.  But not so much that it's a deal breaker for me.  I also have had Pachmyrs on them and those kind of work, too, but I don't like them as much as the Hogues.  

Yes, the rubber is not the best looking on a nice blued gun.  But I just want the thing to go bang and help me hit what I'm aiming at.  Looks don't concern me overly much.  They do, but I'm not made out of money and cheap stuff that works has a special place in my heart.  

I also don't like overly aggressive textures on a carry gun.  Although I have been wearing a T shirt underneath the gun because the safety kind of digs in a little.  So...  I wouldn't mind trying some VZ's.....  but I never had the extra money for them yet.  And since what I have works for 1/3 of the price, or whatever it is...  Why should I try something else?  Most of the time just keeping my guns fed for shooting takes more money than I like spending.    I've been blessed lately though because in the last month I've scored about 1k rounds from people giving it to me for different reasons.  BONUS!!!!

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been playing around with getting a high power. Can you take a couple pics of it next to your m9 so I can see a couple angles of them compared? Especially the thickness.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Btw, how big is the outermost circle? Did you drop 2 or 3 outside it?

That's pretty good. I'm usually happy when I keep all my shots on bin laden at 25 yards.

RI has a qualifier for carry permits. Its an army L at 25 yards with 30 shots. Max is 300. I typically score in the 260s. Sometimes drop into the 250s and got a 272 last week. I like shooting it to gauge and record my progress.

Fwiw there is a 30 minute time limit and I'm usually done in 5
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I gotta eat lunch and take the kids to gymnastics in a minute.  But when I get home this afternoon or this evening, I'll take a pic of my M9 and HiPower together.  I know with the HiPower the grips make all the difference in width.  The stock are pretty fat.  I think it's almost fatter than the M9 with those on.  But I think it's a tad shorter front to back.   The slide is downright dinky compared to the M9.  Even next to a Glock it looks small.  

I sort of inherited another M9.  Probably has less than 100 rounds through it.    My Dad brought the rest of his guns up to my house because my Grandma lives with him and is 95.  She's starting to lose it mentally and throw things out.  He's worried she'll get rid of it.   He doesn't shoot any more so I can use it at will.  Although I may just leave it untouched.  He may want to sell it some day.  Anyways..  I thought I'd make you jealous (he brought his Garand and M-1 Carbine too, and a .30-30 Win 94).  But you have more Berettas than I do anyways...  But I like the HiPower better.  I always have.  Even though I like the M9 a lot.

The M9 feels WAAAAAAAAAAAAY bigger IWB.  Like mammoth compared to a HiPower.  

I'll measure the target too.  I guess that shooting at 25 wasn't too bad then.  But yeah, I let a few go wild.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Not sure if these will be enough.  If there is a shot you want, just tell me.  I should've did the mags front to back and see.  I think they're pretty much the same but the frame of the HiPower is still a tad bit shorter front to back.  Definitely shorter top to bottom.  I could put a tape measure to a dimension if you want me to also.  I don't have a calipers though.  

Ironically, the mag marked "Made in Italy" is the HiPower's 10 rounder that came with it.  Isn't MecGar Italian?  That's the type of 13 rounders I have.  The one in the gun.  Just a stamped steel plate.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice HP!  Those Beretta mag base pads fit nicely on HP mags.  You have to grind the front to fit though.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:50:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:47:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Did that help?  You can see the HiPower is quite a bit smaller in a lot of areas.  The Grip width is similar though.  But you can get thinner grips than I have on there.  Actually, if hogue made just single sided panels I'd be all over them for this pistol.  But the finger grooves kind of line up well for me on this one.  They don't on a 1911 though.  On a 1911 it forces my hand down further than it needs to be.  But for some reason on this one I can get as high as you can go and the finger grooves are fine.  

But I think VZ and some others makes some real slim grips for the HiPower.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Yea, thanks for the g19 pics. Those are my 2 carry guns so it's nice to see how slim it is.

The high power frame looks thinner and I'm sure with vz grips it would be thinner than my m9a1 compact with ultra thins.

I'm definitely on the look out for a mk3
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#22]
For me, it's been my favorite 9mm.   In theory.  I had kind of a lot of problems getting the sear engagement right.  Although it was mostly because I wasn't willing to send it off to C&S and drop the dough.  I was trying to fix it on my own and I couldn't quite get it.  

Anyways....  I measured that circle and it's 9" wide and 11" tall.  So I did put a few outside of it, I didn't think to measure the group.  Probably didn't want to embarrass myself.  I was actually pretty pleased with the group, overall.   But I still need work.   I like shooting it more than I do the G26 though.  I'm not even sure why other than that from day 1 a HiPower has felt very natural fitting to me.  But then again a M9 does too.  But the size difference is significant.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:56:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I just handled a nazi marked 1k $ high power today. First time I held one. I liked it. I worked tonight at another lgs/range and a member has a mk3 at home and I asked for him to bring it  in for me to try.

My m9a1 compact is just so comfortable I dont know if its needed right now. But it would look good with my m1
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#24]
They do have their drawbacks.  I think the M9's trigger out of the box is going to be better than a stock HiPower.  Although I don't know if the compacts are worse or better than a full sized 92/M9.  Although besides that I'm not sure I know of any other real big downside.  The hammer does bite some people.  I get my hand up pretty high and the web of my hand gets touched by the hammer.  But it doesn't bite me.  You're more buff than me.  

The safety is a bit uncomfy.  It digs a little.  It doesn't really bother me though.  The trigger is the HiPowers biggest obstacle.  And that's kind of an important piece of the puzzle for good shooting.  I try not to worry about how great a trigger is on a gun, but it definitely makes a difference in how good I shoot.  My M9's trigger is super nice.  Although DA does take practice.  The SA is about as good as it gets.

I've always been drawn to it because the thing feels like it was made for me when I handle it.  I think a lot of people feel that way when they fondle or shoot it.  It doesn't have a lot of felt recoil either.  But despite the lack of recoil, shooting it super duper fast can be a be harder than guns with more positive reset.  Although I'm no expert in that area.  I could shoot my 1911 pretty fast when I shot it a lot.  Because the trigger.....

I'm going on and on.  I guess I don't want to get you all hyped up and then not tell you what I think are the downsides.  Because sometimes they're not overly evident right away.  But if you get to shoot it, you can obviously make your own observations.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top