Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2016 11:21:06 AM EDT
I hear that using plus p in a Hipower without a heavier than factory recoil spring is a No-No.  But since the Hipower is or was a Nato standard firearm and used hotter then SAAMI standard pressure ammo, how can limited use of Plus P be a problem?  Added that back when the HP was designed, European 9mm ammo was loaded hotter than current US, if this hotter ammo meant doom to the Hipower, then how did it stay in service so many years?  With limited plus p use...does this mean under 5000 rounds is OK?  Or is it under 1000?  500?  I'd like to know EXACTLY what, when, where, not everyone wants to use a continuous  diet of plus p, many would like to test for reliability and then carry plus p in their pistols, maybe shoot a couple hundred plus p's at the most. Age and arthritis have caused heavy recoil springs to be a real problem, I'd like to carry my HP but still be able to work the slide.  All the differing opinions with no set numbers of "allowable" round count is confusing and has caused me to switch to pistols I don't like or shoot as well as my HP's.  Perhaps there is no correct answer, I may well have to continue using my HP's at the range only, I ;le to performance of some plus p rounds too much to go back to standard pressure, plus p is why the 9mm has had a resurgence in popularity the last few years, they just do a better job then standard pressure that I've used.  Whining done
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#1]
There is no correct answer. Likely it wont be an issue as cost per round of +P stuff will limit the amount of it you will shoot anyhow.

I honestly think the BHP is oversprung in the original recoil set up. Also the plus power springs I have seen available are a subtle jump from 17# to 18.5. The real power horse spring in the BHP is the mainspring.

The only thing I would really point out is really a little more FPS really worth the increased recoil? It isn't to me. Based on gel testing you really aren't getting much more performance. You are correct in a way about the popularity of 9mm increasing, but +P isn't the reason why, more so bullet technology is in the defensive realm. I carry standard pressure 147 grain rounds in my BHP.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I"m with him.  I don't think +p is a necessity for carrying 9mm.  There are acceptable loads that penetrate well without being Plus P.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#3]
What standard pressure load do you recommend?
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#5]
This is what the newest Browning manual says, available in PDF format from Brownings website.

A M M U N I T I O N

WARNING!
DO NOT USE AMMUNITION OTHER THAN WHAT IS INSCRIBED ON THE
EXPOSED PORTION OF THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BARREL. EXAMINE EVERY
CARTRIDGE YOU PUT IN YOUR FIREARM. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE
WARNINGS COULD RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.

CAUTION!
WE DO NOT RECOMMEND FIRING OVERPRESSURE LOADS (+P OR +P+)
IN ANY HI POWER PISTOL. THESE LOADS CAN INCREASE CHAMBER
PRESSURES AND MAY ALSO ACCELERATE WEAR ON COMPONENTS SUCH AS
THE SLIDE, FRAME AND RECOIL SPRING DUE TO INCREASED RECOIL
LEVELS. OVERPRESSURE LOADS CAN ALSO AFFECT THE RELIABILITY OF
YOUR PISTOL.

It's your gun, you're an adult and can make up your own mind.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been carrying Hornady Critical Duty and Critical Defense.  But I think a better choice would be the Federal HST's.  I actually have heard some reports of the 9mm Gold Dot's not performing like they should in the last revamp to them.  So.....  I know that might sound like heresy but I saw a test and read somewhere else it might be a thing with some of the Gold Dots.  Or maybe not.  I just watched another video that shows the 124 grain Gold dot working well.  So....

I've never heard the HST's not work well though.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_lY5oDTEOs
It's a shorter barrel though.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8gm7ZTkDxc

But really if you just follow the list, lots of non plus p choices:

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#mozTocId759557
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top