Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2016 5:58:58 PM EDT
I found this today at a local gun show.  It's an FEG P9 in excellent condition.  Internally it shows almost no wear and has been fired very little.

The FEG P9 was a clone of the pre Mk II Browning Hi Power and it has 100% parts commonality with the FN produced Hi Powers.

This one was made for KBI who imported them as the PJK-9HP - along with the slightly different first generation P9M, which is the same thing with a different slide stop and larger 3 dot sights, as well as the second generation P9M which used an S&W locking system and wasn't a Hi Power at all on the inside and had very little parts commonality.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice, I still keep my eyes out for the ones with the improved KBI style safeties on them.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Used to own one, wish I hadn't sold it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:18:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Great guns.   Picked one up for $150 last year.

I'd buy a half dozen more at that price.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I have it's twin.  It now sports Heinie sights and an C&S safety.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I put 200 rounds through it this afternoon with no malfunctions.

It's also proving to be as accurate as my Mk III Hi Power, and more accurate than my first generation P9M.

20 rounds offhand, two hand, offhand, 15 yards (I'll own the 3 outside the X-ring as my fault):

50 rounds were still all inside the 10 ring, but there were 12 of them outside the X-ring (I still blame the shooter):  

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Those are great guns! Those grips are ghastly!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those are great guns! Those grips are ghastly!!
View Quote

I agree the grips are not pretty.

They feel great though. Unfortunately, the drag a bit on the magazines and my non-mouse trap magazines won't drop free on their own, so they have to go.

Below is the new P9, my first gen P9M (modified with the SFS system) and my Mk III SFS Hi Power.

I like the profile of Craig Spegel's Hi Power grips, and Uncle Mikes used that profile in their rubber grips for the Hi Power.  I have a set on my Mk III and they are in my opinion one of the best practical grips ever made for a Hi Power, with an excellent profile and a rubber compound that was the perfect balance between being too firm or too sticky.  Too bad they don't make them any more.

I also like the slight curved profile and slight thumb and finger swell of the Herret wood grips on my P9M:

-----

Let's put it to a vote, at least until I order something else.

I dug through the box of Hi Power grips and this is what I've got on hand.

A couple sets of Pachmayr grips with and without emblem:

A couple sets of plastic grips that came standard on the FEG P9, and the military Hi Powers:

And a set of not sure who made them wood grips, with a basically straight profile

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's the final iteration.

I added Herret grips and swapped out the standard safety lever for an extended safety.

Like my other Hi Powers and FEG P9s, only minor hand fitting was required - in this case to get adequate clearance for the safety where it passes through the hole in the ejector.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#9]
DakotaFal, your inbox is full.

Where did you find the extended safety?  That's the FEG style, and everywhere I look they are out of stock.  I've got 2, but would really like to find more if possible.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#10]
It came from my other FEG, a first gen P9M several years ago when I converted it to the SFS configuration like my FN SFS Hi Power:

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:45:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I sold dozens of these FEG pistols when I ran a shop in the late 80s - mid 90s, and never had an issue with a single one.
Thought enough of them to buy two of them for myself in 1999 when CDNN had them for the princely sum of $199.
I carried one (after a mild trigger job) for several years and fully customized the other. I still own and shoot both.
They are just shockingly good guns  for the money they bring.
The polishing done prior to bluing (especially on the later models) is simply outstanding, the accuracy is on par with any FN Hi Power I have ever fired, and they are utterly reliable with any ammo I've ever tried including hollow points.
I keep telling myself I need to get a "real" Hi Power, and then I shoot my FEG and the feeling goes away.
In my estimation the single best P-35 copy ever made.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 2:31:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nice, I still keep my eyes out for the ones with the improved KBI style safeties on them.

View Quote

I think I may have one sitting in my parts bin

Link Posted: 11/8/2016 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I found this today at a local gun show.  It's an FEG P9 in excellent condition.  Internally it shows almost no wear and has been fired very little.

The FEG P9 was a clone of the pre Mk II Browning Hi Power and it has 100% parts commonality with the FN produced Hi Powers.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/Hi%20Powers%20and%20FEGs/IMG_0843_zps1hkjqq8i.jpg

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/Hi%20Powers%20and%20FEGs/IMG_0841_zpsrcukw8sa.jpg

This one was made for KBI who imported them as the PJK-9HP - along with the slightly different first generation P9M, which is the same thing with a different slide stop and larger 3 dot sights, as well as the second generation P9M which used an S&W locking system and wasn't a Hi Power at all on the inside and had very little parts commonality.

View Quote

speaking of 100% parts compatibility, here's mine. I'll never get rid of it. Only FEG parts left are the frame and barrel.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top