Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2016 12:11:22 AM EDT
I've been trying to work out a trade, one of my AR's for a Hi Power, and could use a little advice. Contact with the owner of the Hi Power has been by email only and has been a little spotty. He doesn't seem to know much about it except it's a Browning 9mm and he's the second owner. The 2 photos are all I have to go on. Can anyone tell me anything about it considering how little there is to go on? Does the trigger pin look a little strange in the second photo? Any assistance would be appreciated. By the way, I have a little less than $500 in the AR. Thanks in advance

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#1]
With the election around the corner and Israeli surplus hi powers under $300 I'd buy a Israeli FEG or Kareen and hang onto the AR or look for a better trade.

I bought a FEG locally for $250 a month ago, refinished it with Brownells baking laquer and found a decent set of grips on gunbroker for $21 shipped. Looks alright and shoots fine for $275 or so and an hour of my time bead blasting and refinishing it.

If you absolutely have to have a real Browning, well....I'd shop around more.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:02:05 AM EDT
[#2]
NO.. a new base AR is just shy of $600 a FN browning used is around $400..bad deal.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't do the deal either.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#4]
That appears to be a blued Browning Hi Power, staked front sight and fixed rear.  The safety is the small nub common on the pre-MKII and MKIIIs.
The serial number will be the date of mnfg. and series.  xxT or xxC.  

I'd buy in a heartbeat.  T and C series blue guns are getting harder to find and are the pinnacle of Browning.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Judging from the two photos, it's a toss up. That gun looks tampered with. The slide looks parkerized, the slide stop looks blue. Could just be the lighting, the trigger pin looks mushroomed from being taken out to remove the mag catch safety. Does it fire without the mag inserted ? The hammer also looks aftermarket. The round hammers of that era don't have a recess, it's just a hole, I know I have one from 69'. Again might be the angle of the photo, I don't know. I traded a MK III Browning I received in a trade for a PPK for an Iver Johnson M1 so, it's really up to you if you want it that bad, like you mentioned. You have five hundred in the AR, more or less what that Hi Power is worth. Trade it and build another AR before the election.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Judging from the two photos, it's a toss up. That gun looks tampered with. The slide looks parkerized, the slide stop looks blue. Could just be the lighting, the trigger pin looks mushroomed from being taken out to remove the mag catch safety. Does it fire without the mag inserted ? The hammer also looks aftermarket. The round hammers of that era don't have a recess, it's just a hole, I know I have one from 69'. Again might be the angle of the photo, I don't know. I traded a MK III Browning I received in a trade for a PPK for an Iver Johnson M1 so, it's really up to you if you want it that bad, like you mentioned. You have five hundred in the AR, more or less what that Hi Power is worth. Trade it and build another AR before the election.
View Quote
I think so too; that's why I'd pass on it.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd do the trade in a heart beat as well.

If you don't do it, please put me in touch with the Hi Power owner.  I have a plenty of AR-15s sitting around and would be happy to work a trade.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this and thanks for the replies. Like I said in the original post communication with the owner has been spotty but I'm finally going to be able to look at it in person tomorrow evening. If it's in decent shape I think that I'm going to go for it. With the exception if the Israeli surplus guns from AIM I haven't seen a Hi Power around here for less than $700. I suppose that if I wait until after the elections, and the unthinkable happens, my AR might be worth more but it isn't my only one and think I can live with that. I'll keep this updated and hopefully post some better pictures in the next day or two. Thanks again
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:03:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Buyer beware: It's a parts gun...
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd say that it depends on your ar with what it is and what you have into it but I know the cheapest hi power I've bought was 550 and it was from a friend who gave me a screaming deal since he never shot it. They're are plenty of hi powers around  but if you have a few ar's already and want to trade (if your close in value) you'll probably be fine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#11]
The AR isn't anything fancy, PSA midlength melonite upper, PSA lower build kit, and an Anderson lower receiver. I've got right at $460 in it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:04:24 AM EDT
[#12]
id do it in a heartbeat i love my hp if it does not rattle and feels tight it should be good.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#13]
AIM has these in stock

MKII HPs
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I looked at the pistol Friday night and like many here had said it was a parts gun. Slide and frame mismatched, not the original front sight, chromed or stainless extractor, aftermarket magazine, and the trigger pin would fall out if you turned it sideways and shook it. Surprisingly the magazine safety still worked. I took a chance and it didn't work out. No harm done as I still have the AR and I'm only out a little time and gas. I might have to look into the ones from AIM.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well, I looked at the pistol Friday night and like many here had said it was a parts gun. Slide and frame mismatched, not the original front sight, chromed or stainless extractor, aftermarket magazine, and the trigger pin would fall out if you turned it sideways and shook it. Surprisingly the magazine safety still worked. I took a chance and it didn't work out. No harm done as I still have the AR and I'm only out a little time and gas. I might have to look into the ones from AIM.
View Quote

I picked up three over the few years from this guy and all were very good and well worth the money. Look for one that is all matching and you will not be disappointed.

cdisales on Gunbroker
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#16]

I picked up three over the few years from this guy and all were very good and well worth the money. Look for one that is all matching and you will not be disappointed.
cdisales on Gunbroker
View Quote
+1 on cdisales.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top