Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2016 4:01:17 PM EDT
So, what the hell is up with magazines for the BHP.

For a gun as widely distributed and used since the 1930s, why is there no surplus good mags out there?

$60 bucks a pop for a 13 rd Browning magazine is sort of

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Try CDNN they have a few listed for under $30. If you look you can get them for around $15 brand new.

edit - JG has some also, but never buy the pro mag.  The meg gar work well also
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the heads up. 30 bucks is manageable.

Im just surprised there isn't a shit ton of them out there from MIL contracts.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

For a gun as widely distributed and used since the 1930s, why is there no surplus good mags out there?

View Quote

Crazy, right?
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I think Midway has Mec-Gars for like $20. They are good to go. In fact, they probably make Browning's mags.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1371114282/mec-gar-magazine-browning-hi-power-9mm-luger-steel
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Crazy, right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crazy, right?

It really is!

I mean surplus 1911 mags are a dime a dozen. I maybe exaggerating, but they are out there all over the place under 10 bucks.

While I understand the BHP wasn't a service weapon here, I just cant believe they aren't floating around out there.

Kinda blows my mind.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think Midway has Mec-Gars for like $20. They are good to go. In fact, they probably make Browning's mags.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1371114282/mec-gar-magazine-browning-hi-power-9mm-luger-steel
View Quote

I may just have to go this route.

That's a nice price if they work well.

I was hoping to score the "mouse trap" mags for cheap, but that doesn't seem like its gunna happen
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was hoping to score the "mouse trap" mags for cheap, but that doesn't seem like its gunna happen
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mec gar makes the factory mags. They are beyond g2g. Mouse traps pop up on here in the EE a good bit*

*You better be quick
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#8]
The only reason the mousetrap was a thing is the regular mec gars don't drop free. Being for the one you have with no disconnect the mec gars will drop free.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, MecGars all day long.

Once the mag safety is out the OEM moustrap mags are pointless.
The MecGars are great mags and can be had for $20-30 a piece consistently.

$18 at Midway as we speak
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I may be willing to trade or sell a ton of mousetraps.  As stated above, once the disconnect is out, I prefer Mec Gars's smooth sides to the parkerized mousetraps.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Huh,

Well good deal then guys

Appreciate the info.

Sub $20 Mec gars it is
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#12]
You can get OEM or Mecgars at Greg Cotes for $26.95 or $22.95 (15 rounders not 13). He also has flat shipping.

The bodies for the 15s are the same as the 13s but the followers are different and make more room for the additional 2 rounds. Both run 100% in my 10 BHPs.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You can get OEM or Mecgars at Greg Cotes for $26.95 or $22.95 (15 rounders not 13). He also has flat shipping.

The bodies for the 15s are the same as the 13s but the followers are different and make more room for the additional 2 rounds. Both run 100% in my 10 BHPs.
View Quote

Hello I'm needmorebacon. We just became best friends.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive considered grabbing some 15 rounders. But then its gunna mess up my stock of 13 rounders I have

Im OCD like that when it comes to pistol mags for some reason. The 13s feel bottom less since I came from a 1911

Same when it comes to my 1911, I originally had 8 round mags, then some issues came along. Grabbed some 7 rounders. I had to convert all my 8 rounders to 7 rounders with the tripp rebuild kit to get my head right
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive considered grabbing some 15 rounders. But then its gunna mess up my stock of 13 rounders I have

Im OCD like that when it comes to pistol mags for some reason. The 13s feel bottom less since I came from a 1911

Same when it comes to my 1911, I originally had 8 round mags, then some issues came along. Grabbed some 7 rounders. I had to convert all my 8 rounders to 7 rounders with the tripp rebuild kit to get my head right

Bro you haven't lived until you start doing 20rd mag dumps with some mec gars.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#16]
My theory on the lack of a butt-ton of surplus BHP mags is that the early manufacturers never contemplate that the BHP mag would be a throw-away item.

So, they didn't make a lot of extras.

Mec-Gar mags are GTG, so buy a half-dozen, and call it good.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know, I need to get myself a couple of those 20's.

I've got plenty of 13's and a couple of 15's but no 20's.

Arfcom - spending my money yet again.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

For the record my BHP gets hotter than any other gun it seems.

2 or 3 quick 13 round mags and I can barely hold on to the thing
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine do too. It doesn't seem to affect anything. Mine last weekend felt like I could cook bacon on it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck on the hunt Mec Gar discontinued them. Some are still floating around though.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I posted about this years ago on here.  No one said they had the same problem.  They do heat up quick, although my Mark 3 doesn't heat up as quickly as my Standard.  I would assume the difference in finishes is the reason.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I posted about this years ago on here.  No one said they had the same problem.  They do heat up quick, although my Mark 3 doesn't heat up as quickly as my Standard.  I would assume the difference in finishes is the reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figured it was due to the thin slide.

My 1911 never got that hot. But the slide is thicker, and also less pressure with .45

Who knows, but a few mags rapidly and I gotta put that sucker down
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good luck on the hunt Mec Gar discontinued them. Some are still floating around though.
View Quote

Midway shows blue 15-Rd MecGar in stock.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe he is referring to the 20 rounders.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, Ill be picking up 2 more mags this weekend at my local gun shop it seems.....
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Plenty of surplus magazines for the BHP. But they are on other side of pond (ocean). With OEM & Mec-Gars available in USA at reasonable prices, I'd  be content. You'll save only penny's buying surplus in today's market if that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Dbl post. Sorry
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked last night, nobody has them.

What should I buy instead?

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm sending you an IM
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I just got two Mecgar mags for my BHP from Greg Cote they arrived today.  If Mecgar discontinued them Greg mut have bought them out he seem to have plenty of Mecgar's for BHP and CZ both.  The mages in my gun are both marked Belgium.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just got two Mecgar mags for my BHP from Greg Cote they arrived today.  If Mecgar discontinued them Greg mut have bought them out he seem to have plenty of Mecgar's for BHP and CZ both.  The mages in my gun are both marked Belgium.
View Quote

He was talking specifically about the 20 rounders.

15's and 13's are still being produced.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#32]
I got 3 of the mecgar 13 rounders in today.

Ive unfortunately been having some intermittent problems, well atleast I did over the weekend. Seems like it could be a mag issue, but it could also be other things I suppose. Every now and then I would get a base over bolt malfunction. That's where the slide hangs up on the middle of the casing during feeding instead of on the rim of the casing.

I cant honestly decide if its a user induced issue, mag issue, or even a spring issue(as I replaced my recoil spring with a wolff 17 pounder last week)

Atleast I can rule one of those out now.

I had this exact same issue in the beginning. I replaced the mag springs with 10%+ springs which cured it up until this weekend. The issue however is so intermittent it is hard to diagnose the actual cause.

The issue stopped when I added more lube to an already wet gun, so who knows whats really going on. I also cleaned the mags, which were dirtier than I expected.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Ive unfortunately been having some intermittent problems, well atleast I did over the weekend. Seems like it could be a mag issue, but it could also be other things I suppose. Every now and then I would get a base over bolt malfunction. That's where the slide hangs up on the middle of the casing during feeding instead of on the rim of the casing.

I cant honestly decide if its a user induced issue, mag issue, or even a spring issue(as I replaced my recoil spring with a wolff 17 pounder last week)

I had this exact same issue in the beginning. I replaced the mag springs with 10%+ springs which cured it up until this weekend. The issue however is so intermittent it is hard to diagnose the actual cause.

The issue stopped when I added more lube to an already wet gun, so who knows whats really going on. I also cleaned the mags, which were dirtier than I expected.
View Quote

That's pretty odd.
You're having this issue with not one, but three NIB MecGars?
I highly doubt it's the magazines (I have about 15 of those and have never had an issue with a new one).
The 17# spring is the standard OEM weight so I can't see that being an issue either.

Any burs or other issues that might be slowing the slide?
Possibly an oversprung mainspring?

Mag catch worn and maybe not holding it high enough?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's pretty odd.
I highly doubt it's the magazines (I have about 15 of those and have never had an issue with a new one).
The 17# spring is the standard OEM weight so I can't see that being an issue either.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's pretty odd.

I haven't tried them yet.

These were on mouse trap browning mags.

Well see this weekend.

Only thing that maybe slowing the slide down is my weak hand thumb.

Im not sure, Im gunna mess with it a good bit this weekend

Link Posted: 8/3/2016 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Forgot to report that the mec-gars work perfectly and no more issues

Ill be buying lots more now
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Forgot to report that the mec-gars work perfectly and no more issues

Ill be buying lots more now
View Quote

I would have suggested to take them apart and clean then oil them.  And I would also highly suggest ditching the Wolf recoil spring and buy a Browning OEM spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top